Sports Interactive Community
LeonardSnart

Manchester City Pep Guardiola Tactic Recreation

On 15/05/2019 at 13:11, Mbianco said:

So guys, we know that man city attack in a 2-3-5, a formation that can be achieved in fm in some ways. The easiest is obvs having wingbacks wide and forward and the insideforwards in the halfspaces, but i found this too predictable and one dimensional. Having the wingers wide and the 8s in the halfspaces makes this tactic so interesting

I am trying my best to replicate this and with this formations i'm having some kind of succes and a lot of goal like this 

2048279260_4-3-31.thumb.png.62d9a07032826adbef66dea01ab2d022.png978522354_4-3-32.thumb.png.a3cca74acab2c24c12f50deb1fa871d1.png2099344855_4-3-33.thumb.png.15c7e4b543a58c3e027eccdc894600e4.png235238261_4-3-34.thumb.png.a8a80d8c571134e8225085488e448911.png1465668697_4-3-35.thumb.png.e5da4ac4a1125b993eb822f72980928b.png478273166_4-3-36.thumb.png.4458002b7f447108ebea653880eabec2.png558282964_4-3-38.thumb.png.08f2d753bb2aa9f5c19b02d12095a31b.png

in the 4th image willock is a mez(s), not a mez(a):stop:

the roles 

SKd                                     (i don't have a Ederson type keeper, otherwhise i would use a SKs)

IWBd    BPD     BPD 

IWBs

MEZs DLPd MEZa                         (using the dlp in the midfield trio makes the mezzalas plays in the right position for me)

Ws                                    Ws                 (cross from byline and hold position PIs for both, it makes them wider)

F9

instruction 
offensive

much shorter passing, play out of defence, work the ball into the box, be more disciplined, wide

counter, counterpress, take short kicks

higher, higher loe, more urgent, prevent short gk distribution, use the offside trap

in the future i will try WM, meanwhile let me know what you think about this

and srry for my bad english :lol:

This is interesting. 

The formation I have developed is also very similar to this however, I use a Registar, a CM on Attack and a Mezzala on Attack duty with 2 Wingers. 

I might need to spice things up...

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 09.33.19.png

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 09.36.14.png

On 15/05/2019 at 11:11, Mbianco said:

instructio 
offensive

much shorter passing, play out of defence, work the ball into the box, be more disciplined, wide

counter, counterpress, take short kicks

higher, higher loe, more urgent, prevent short gk distribution, use the offside trap

in the future i will try WM, meanwhile let me know what you think about this

and srry for my bad english :lol:

You say GK take short kicks but in your screenshot it says throw it or roll it?

My main problem with replicating this Man City side is to get two midfielders to move high up the pitch during the early build up. 

Anyone managed to do that?

My Pep Tactic Recreation:

19403308_10209197419353269_615860032_o.p

4abd56beadb6d349402eb4135cf979ff.png

Cancelo/Walker , Mendy/Zinchenko As IWB, Rodri/Fernandinho As DM-M , better than DLP-D. More Balanced. Sterling Sometimes play as IF-A With Felix on the other flank as IF-S and also Sterling Plays good on the Left side as IF-A With Bernardo/Sane on the right side. KDB IS A GOD, Silva also Creating Chances&Scores from 2nd line. Kun with 8/8 Goals. So far works well. 

359c1a211256cfb050fc8693c7431d6a.png

Positional play 2-3-5 / 2-5-3 / 2-3-2-3

11b8fee045c365da2566854f2db96f56.pngae281e8b73a51890fd2de0bb97397ffa.png

Edited by CR#7

2 hours ago, Mutumba said:

Player instructions?

BDP - Short Pass, Close down Less ,Shot less, stay wider, dribble less

IWB - fewer risks shot less 

MZZ - Short pass. Shot less & dribble more MCL

W - Shot less , GET FF, Cross by line

F9 - Roam, short pass, shot less

6 minutes ago, CR#7 said:

You changed the CF support to F9?

Rotation by CF & F9 when i need kun to drop more down

also the Wingers sometimes change to IF-S But with Stay wider

Edited by CR#7

2 hours ago, CR#7 said:

What do you mean by MCL? Does the PI only concern the MCL?  Or does the MCR have the PIs but not dribblemore?

20 hours ago, Mutumba said:

What do you mean by MCL? Does the PI only concern the MCL?  Or does the MCR have the PIs but not dribblemore?

MCR - KDB - no PI

MCL - David/Bernardo Silva - dribble,short pass, shot less

btw - move the wingbacks down to normal position , while mensy still iwb-s , cancelo/walker as WB-A / CWB-A its much better now.

En 7/6/2019 a las 19:54, CR#7 dijo:

Cancelo/Walker , Mendy/Zinchenko As IWB, Rodri/Fernandinho As DM-M , better than DLP-D. More Balanced. Sterling Sometimes play as IF-A With Felix on the other flank as IF-S and also Sterling Plays good on the Left side as IF-A With Bernardo/Sane on the right side. KDB IS A GOD, Silva also Creating Chances&Scores from 2nd line. Kun with 8/8 Goals. So far works well. 

can you upload this tactic? for tested with Everton

I am trying to re-create pep's man city. I successfully managed to get the kind of possession i want. What I am struggling with is the fullbacks' roles. I am disregarding zinchenko and delph because they aren't pure FBs and delph was sold. Also, Delph's role was clear to me (Inverted wb (support)). Zinchenko's was pretty much similar, however he was sometimes wider like Mendy. I have been re-watching games when Mendy and Walker started. They seem to have a hybrid between inverted and a bit wider roles. I was wondering if I should put them as IWB defend or support? FM says that on a defend duty he will position himself wide or inside depending on the system around him. I believe this best replicates pep's set up. And when i played them on a support duty they were positioned too high up and too close to my "8s" in KDB and D Silva (which are mezzalas on Attack). HOWEVER, on a defend duty I noticed that they dont press the opposition wingers up high enough. IRL, peps WBs press high up the pitch. Maybe it's just FM, but the WBs just watch the opposition wingers run straight through my defense a lot of the time. Is there a way to also fix this? I've tried man marking them but they simply played the ball in behind my defense.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, emile heskey said:

I am trying to re-create pep's man city. I successfully managed to get the kind of possession i want. What I am struggling with is the fullbacks' roles. I am disregarding zinchenko and delph because they aren't pure FBs and delph was sold. Also, Delph's role was clear to me (Inverted wb (support)). Zinchenko's was pretty much similar, however he was sometimes wider like Mendy. I have been re-watching games when Mendy and Walker started. They seem to have a hybrid between inverted and a bit wider roles. I was wondering if I should put them as IWB defend or support? FM says that on a defend duty he will position himself wide or inside depending on the system around him. I believe this best replicates pep's set up. And when i played them on a support duty they were positioned too high up and too close to my "8s" in KDB and D Silva (which are mezzalas on Attack). HOWEVER, on a defend duty I noticed that they dont press the opposition wingers up high enough. IRL, peps WBs press high up the pitch. Maybe it's just FM, but the WBs just watch the opposition wingers run straight through my defense a lot of the time. Is there a way to also fix this? I've tried man marking them but they simply played the ball in behind my defense.

Thanks!

Moving them in the DM strata maybe? More urgent pressing? Higher LOE? 

On 06/06/2019 at 11:27, Gegenklaus said:

My main problem with replicating this Man City side is to get two midfielders to move high up the pitch during the early build up. 

Anyone managed to do that?

That's almost impossible in FM19, which is weird, I mean a Mezzala on attack has almost the same starting position in build up as a CM on support.

1 hour ago, robot_skeleton said:

That's almost impossible in FM19, which is weird, I mean a Mezzala on attack has almost the same starting position in build up as a CM on support.

Well, in FM the position of players while the team is in possession is determined by their mentality, a few traits and the attributes teamwork and off the ball. Teamwork makes players drop deeper to receive a pass when the team is building from deep so a player with lower teamwork is bound to be higher up the pitch when in build up. The problem with that is that teamwork is an important attribute for teams playing positive possession football so it's not something your midfielders can do without.

Focus play through the middle would increase the midfielders mentality  but I have never tried building a man city tactic so it could have some unwanted consequences.

2 hours ago, Bernkastel said:

Focus play through the middle would increase the midfielders mentality

No. FPTM increases the mentality of CBs, DMs and only defend-duty CMs.

11 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

No. FPTM increases the mentality of CBs, DMs and only defend-duty CMs.

Thank you for the correction, I was under the impression it also affected midfielders, is there a page or topic were you found this information? just to check if I am not wrong about other things.

10 minutes ago, Bernkastel said:

is there a page or topic were you found this information?

You can see the mentality change directly in the game (when you click on the "Edit player instructions" button). So you can compare the mentalities of the aforementioned players (positions/roles/duties) before and after turning on the instruction :thup:

As a Utd fan it pains me to say as much but this might be the best FM19 thread to learn from.  Packed with stuff you can gain from.

20 hours ago, robot_skeleton said:

Yeah, I even tried using them in the AM strata, but then I don't like the defensive shape, and I still dont see them get high and between the lines early enough. FM 19 is a really great game, but can't really emulate one of Guardiolas basic principles to use as few men as possible to build up while the attacking band of players goes high and between the lines.

7 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

As a Utd fan it pains me to say as much but this might be the best FM19 thread to learn from.  Packed with stuff you can gain from.

Agreed. I learned so much from following this thread. It's a great discussion.

On 01/08/2019 at 20:56, BadAss88 said:

Moving them in the DM strata maybe? More urgent pressing? Higher LOE? 

I play on much higher LoE, you would think that would help but not really. If i play them DM they will be wayy out of position when the opposition have the ball in our half. IDK if playing them in the wingback position makes much of a difference because I havent seen any when I tried it..

On 07/06/2019 at 19:54, CR#7 said:

why are the the fullbacks positioned as wingbacks? do they press higher up? i tried and i didnt see much of a difference

Might be just me, but I have noticed that fullbacks and wingbacks (the positions, not the roles) always press less or later than other positions no matter what tactic is used. It could be a flaw in the ME but I haven't researched the rest of the forum to see others complain about it or being acknowledged as a ME problem.

Maybe if someone has more time can search if that is the case. It's my personal observation. 

13 hours ago, yonko said:

Might be just me, but I have noticed that fullbacks and wingbacks (the positions, not the roles) always press less or later than other positions no matter what tactic is used. It could be a flaw in the ME but I haven't researched the rest of the forum to see others complain about it or being acknowledged as a ME problem.

Maybe if someone has more time can search if that is the case. It's my personal observation. 

Yeah I feel that way too. Concede quite a few goals where a winger has ended up deep (usually because they were left behind on a counter) so has loads of space to run into. DM/CM might try to slide out to cover but full backs retreat in line with the centre backs even if there’s only one guy forward, so the attacker drives towards the defence then pops one off from range or plays that rare central through ball for the opposite wide player to rush onto and score 

Thank you for this topic, it has made me rethink several concepts. I only have one question: how is Mendy's movement with, for example, Sterling? Does the accumulation start closed to support the CB and the DM, and in the last third, with Sterling in the area, does he become the widest player?

Sorry for my bad english.

Il 3/6/2019 in 07:37 , Trimisiyu ha scritto:

This is interesting. 

The formation I have developed is also very similar to this however, I use a Registar, a CM on Attack and a Mezzala on Attack duty with 2 Wingers. 

I might need to spice things up...

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 09.33.19.png

Screenshot 2019-06-03 at 09.36.14.png

file tactic please? tks

Il 8/6/2019 in 00:54 , CR#7 ha scritto:

file tactic please? tks

vor 16 Stunden schrieb fmjeros:

anyone tried to emulate pep in FM20 ?

Yes, I've tried but failed miserably...

18 minutes ago, burnum said:

Yes, I've tried but failed miserably...

im playing as Man City currently, but I'm creating my own tactic as opposed to emulating Pep.

But just on a general level, a lot of the positional play, player traits and movement is so "Pep" nuanced that its difficult to recreate.

I believe it may be a reason why AI Pep has a tendency to struggle.

Posted (edited)
On 08/06/2019 at 01:54, CR#7 said:

Works Amazing on FM20 With 4-line Defence

Roles + Pl :

SK-S - Ederson

CD-D - Stones - Short Pass, Close down Less ,Shot less, stay wider, dribble less

BDP-D - Laporte - Short Pass, Close down Less ,Shot less, stay wider

CWB-S - Cancelo - fewer risks shot less 

CWB-S - Mendy - fewer risks shot less 

DM-D - Rodri 

MEZ-A - De Bruyne

AP-S / MEZ-S - David Silva / Bernardo - Roam Pos , dribble more, short pass

IW-S - Bernardo / Mahrez - Roam Pos , Shoot Less , Risky Passes

IF-A - Sterling - Roam Pos

AF / F9 - Kun Aguero - Roam Pos, short pass

will Upload Some Screenshots later

Edited by CR#7

Attacking, Very Fluid

False9/DLF-S

Inside Forward-A

Inside Forward-S (hold position, stay wider)

MEZ-A

AP-S

Wing Back-S                                   DLP-S                                     Inverted WB-s

CB-D                                  CB-D

SK-S

On 15/01/2020 at 07:17, Mitja said:

Attacking, Very Fluid

False9/DLF-S

Inside Forward-A

Inside Forward-S (hold position, stay wider)

MEZ-A

AP-S

Wing Back-S                                   DLP-S                                     Inverted WB-s

CB-D                                  CB-D

SK-S

what TI's would you use for this tactic?