"Baker's Dozen at Forest Green - Brave New World"

podunkboy

The Pride of Bonnyrigg, Scottish legend Scott Baker, has been summoned to take the reins at League 2 squad Forest Green, to shepherd and sharpen the skills of an exceptional intake of potential wonderkids. Although as green as their squad's namesake, there is limitless potential in this group of 15 and 16 year-olds. 

Forest Green Rovers Football Club is a professional football club based in Nailsworth, Gloucestershire, England. Affiliated to the Gloucestershire County FA, they are currently members of League Two, the fourth tier of English football, and play at the New Lawn. The club is the first vegan football club.

We start in pre-season, July 2018, as Mr. Baker takes his first look at the young men who will potentially one day rule all of Europe. 

Oh, so Franck Crouch is small and weak though very talented. The kind of player that usually gets sent away by a club for not being strong enough to make it - just to rise like a phoenix later on. That's exactly the storyline I await for my boy...

Hopefully will be uploading an update this weekend, nearing the middle of the season (42 league matches + cups, so it's a slog), and shall we say...things are going well, only problems being injuries and constant player fatigue. Lots of squad rotation and starting players out of position. 

Considering my stats: I'm pretty surprised that I got a full 90 minutes for the Italy U20's. What are the chances that ~65% of the team gets picked up by Premier League U23 teams next season? Hopefully we can stick around long enough for Europa League qualifiers!

Oh, so Franck Crouch is small and weak though very talented. The kind of player that usually gets sent away by a club for not being strong enough to make it - just to rise like a phoenix later on. That's exactly the storyline I await for the boy... looks good. Best performer of a glorious bunch of players :applause:

9 hours ago, vossmaj said:

Oh, so Franck Crouch is small and weak though very talented. The kind of player that usually gets sent away by a club for not being strong enough to make it - just to rise like a phoenix later on. That's exactly the storyline I await for the boy... looks good. Best performer of a glorious bunch of players :applause:

I think you're going to be fairly happy with his performance when I get the season stats posted. 

10 hours ago, CaesarXI said:

Considering my stats: I'm pretty surprised that I got a full 90 minutes for the Italy U20's. What are the chances that ~65% of the team gets picked up by Premier League U23 teams next season? Hopefully we can stick around long enough for Europa League qualifiers!

There's certainly some sniffing about (oops, said too much too soon), but it's going to cost them to pry them from my steely grasp. 

9 hours ago, podunkboy said:

Those links aren't working.

It looks like we are flying away! Loving that 7.34 rating and 7 assists from Alden at fullback. Hopefully he is bombing up and down the sides crossing at will as I hoped he would.

Thoughts after season one: obviously, the total player wipe does a number on the quality of players generated by the game. As a result, players at League 2 level are not that different than Premier League level. This will resolve itself probably by 1) better youth academy players coming through at the top levels and 2) Premier League teams are going to have plenty of money to buy up youth talent at lower levels. So...be forewarned...City is coming. 

Also, in a particularly boneheaded move, when entering the "dozen", I apparently didn't give them "trained at club" status, so in selecting squads for league and continental play, they're counting against home-grown requirements, and it won't resolve until 2020, I think. But it is what it is, and makes it rather challenging. Other problem is most of the players are constantly in need of rest, and even when I send them on a 1-week vacation (all I can spare), it doesn't resolve anything. So I've had to add some back-ups to plug the fitness holes. 

5 hours ago, estewu said:

Balicki wins Goal of the season award - impressive!

Can we see the tactic we are using?

Yeah, I'll try to screen-shot one tonight, but it's essentially a stock 4-2-3-1 Vertical TikaTaka, except when it's a 4-2-4 T/T. With this group, I could throw us out in a 1-2-7 and compete. 

3 hours ago, Lenzar said:

Can you not use the in-game editor to add homegrown status?

Yes, I probably could...but I bought the in-game editor a few years back and...I would catch myself cheating. I'd peek at CA/PAs, transfer underperforming and unhappy players to other teams in my division, Remove injuries...I couldn't help myself. I know FM is a one-person game, and I was hurting no one else, but I couldn't legitimately celebrate achievements, because they were no longer my  own. It's like the youtube guy who was adjusting player's stats and abilities behind the scenes for "narrative purposes" and one of his views noticed huge jumps in player ratings from one episode to the next. 

But...I might get the Ingame editor to make that one adjustment, because it's really hard to fill out a roster when you need 7 HG players in the matchday squad and 13 of your 25 registered players aren't home-grown. But I promise that's all I will do for this experiment, I won't try to pull players back from the Premier League because of a bone-headed mistake I might have made or because the chairman decided Man City's offer was too good to turn down and...er, said too much. 

• 2 weeks later...

You really never heard of Spartak Trnava? I'm suprised that a FM player never came across a team that is a top team in it's country. After playing for so many years, I at least recognize the names of teams I play against :)

• 1 month later...

Er, damn, has it really been that long since my last update. I'd make excuses, but it was just life, house projects, a fairly bad bout of a cold, and an inability to walk away from the save to take the time to upload updates. (Plus, linking to each Steam pic is a pain, and yes I know, I took the pain on myself.) But let's see where we were and where we're going. We were in Sept...2019 (to tell you what an awful person I am, current game-time I'm in May 2023, so this may take awhile.)

In League 1, beating Arsenal's U23s is a big deal

but Beating Bolton in the Carabao Cup is kind of significant.

But then you lose your best GK for a month and a half...

First legitimate job interview offer with Swansea, but I don't even listen to their offer.

Colchester goes down to Green in the 2nd round FA cup

Aaahh, great to see this back again. It might help to be a bit less granular with the story and e.g. skip mentioning single matches... not complaining :D just trying to increae probability that this lasts.

And it get's really exciting now to see where and how they all and up when going into the big bad world of top flight Football. It was smooth sailing for now...

Archived