Why do some leagues not require shirt numbers?

Something that has confused me for a while is why Vanarama south/north doesn't require me to register shirt numbers. A player's number will change almost every game depending on the position. Is that really realistic? using the editors, would I be able to make shirt number registration required for those leagues?

vor 11 Minuten schrieb jcp1417:

Would you be able to point me to what I would need to check/uncheck?

You need to add nation rules, then convert to advanced rules and check the box for squad numbers in the competition tabs.

592949649_Bildschirmfoto2018-11-10um19_02_26.thumb.jpg.18716f6f19e824ce4441a40df74e40e1.jpg

1 hour ago, jcp1417 said:

in my editor it says team numbers. I selected that, saved it, loaded it, and did not work :(

It creates a new database you can select when you start a new save, you can't use the out-of-game editor to make changes to a current save.

2 hours ago, DP said:

By the way, it is realistic. There are not squad numbers for leagues below the conference. 

Sure, players may prefer certain numbers but the matches are played using 1-11 numbering.

So would multiple players share shirts depending on their number for the match?

1 hour ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

It creates a new database you can select when you start a new save, you can't use the out-of-game editor to make changes to a current save.

I know that, I did select my database and it didn't work when i created the new game

For many decades, shirt numbers were 1-11 and were hanging on hooks in the dressing room and you wore the shirt that corresponded with the position you were selected for.  Squad numbers changed that but if they are not required, 1-11 will be used.

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

For many decades, shirt numbers were 1-11 and were hanging on hooks in the dressing room and you wore the shirt that corresponded with the position you were selected for.  Squad numbers changed that but if they are not required, 1-11 will be used.

so players share shirts or do they each have multiple shirts with different numbers on them depending on what position they're selected for?

2 minutes ago, jcp1417 said:

so players share shirts or do they each have multiple shirts with different numbers on them depending on what position they're selected for?

The kit man collects all the shirts after the game, washes and dries them, and then, for the next match, they're handed out based on who's starting in what position..

Just now, Maaka said:

The kit man collects all the shirts after the game, washes and dries them, and then, for the next match, they're handed out based on who's starting in what position..

interesting, I never knew this. In the US, jersey numbers have been individually assigned for almost 100 years in most sports. 

Just now, jcp1417 said:

interesting, I never knew this. In the US, jersey numbers have been individually assigned for almost 100 years in most sports. 

In football in Europe, this is how it has been done for most of the past 130-140 years, except for the top leagues the past 20-25 years.

Depending on nation, it's
      9    10
11  8     4    7
3    6     5    2
or
      9    10
11  8     6    7
3    6     4    2
or
    11    10
9    8     7    6
5    4     3    2
or
      9    10
11  8     6    7
5    4     3    2
or simple variations of these

Going back into the 50's and 60's:

The full backs and were numbered 2 and 3
The single cente half back and was 5
numbers 4 and 6 were half backs 
number 7 was the right winger, 11 was the left winger
numbers 8 and 10 were inside forwards
number 9 was the centre forward

Formation was often 2-3 5

My local club (swedish 4th tier) only have 22 shirts for the senior squad (numbered 1-22). However, there are more than 22 players in the squad, so the more established players have their assigned numbers, but should they miss a game, another player will use that shirt. I guess there are various degrees of numbering rigidity in different competitions. The Swedish FA does'nt seem to care anyway, so there are no rules. Even in our top division players have been switching numbers mid-season (when their desired number becomes available). There have been players using three-digit shirts as well. The year of my favourite club's 125th anniversary, our captain played in number 125. Currently, our second-choice keeper is out on loan, so the youngster now warming our bench simply borrows his shirt. In semi-pro and amateur football it's all down to finances. You buy a limited number of kits, and use them as much as possible. Even fully professional clubs may do so if there are no regulations.

Yeah, I remember seein three-digit shirts in Sweden, even in the top flight..
Regulations in Norway (and most other countries as well, and FIFA/UEFA) states that the numbers are one-digit 1-9 and two-digit 10-99 (meaning that even numbers like "0", "00", "01" and so on are illegal - in auto racing, especially in the US, one car can have #8 and another #08, or #0 and another #00).

Regarding the 1-11 historical traditions, there were (afaik) no rules stating that #2 had to be the RB, but "common sense" said so. If the striker wanted to wear #5, he could (although he would've probably gotten a few stares)..

Throughout the 70s and 80s the only convention Liverpool complied with was no.1 for goalkeeper. For example, 5 and 11 were midfield numbers, 7 a forwards number. Even 9 often ended up being worn by a wide midfield player. If you played well and the team won (which was a lot more often that not) you stayed in the team and kept your number.

think even set squad numbers change fairly often. 

Ryan Kent on loan at rangers this year has a different squad number dependent on if hes playing domestically or in Europe for example.

Think the standard is 1-18 and 1 and 12 being goalkeeper kits, 1-11 is starting 11 and 12-18 being the bench. At least in my understanding. 

Archived