Attacking central defenders

Watching the Steel City Derby and Im really liking the way the Chris Wilder has his outside centre backs push on and get into to the box and provide crosses from fairly advanced positions. That then got me thinking about FM, its something Id like to apply to my save. However, I wonder how you could do this.

It'd be easy if you could use the Libero in the LCB and RCB positions, but you can't. My next thought was using PIs to stay wide and get forward (the latter like a libero), but the get forward PI isnt available from memory, so that discounts that option. My last idea would be the stay wide PI again alongside the PPMs gets forward whenever possible, gets into opposition area and, least crucially, brings ball out of defence.

But beyond this I am clueless, so I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts as to if/how you'd achieve this play.

Cheers

I only used it for one season, but my libero attack (bonucci) wasnt as adventurous as id hoped. Cbs are used more in general in terms of ball recycling which i like, but still think itl be a challenge to really have a cb step up with the ball (significantly like a maguire irl who often marauds over the half way line).. Or a cb who continues his run to the box (thinking of arsenal vermaelen, toure, koscielny... Often will pass and go forward unmarked if opponents were man marking the more threatening players) 

13 hours ago, OJ403 said:

Watching the Steel City Derby and Im really liking the way the Chris Wilder has his outside centre backs push on and get into to the box and provide crosses from fairly advanced positions. That then got me thinking about FM, its something Id like to apply to my save. However, I wonder how you could do this.

It'd be easy if you could use the Libero in the LCB and RCB positions, but you can't. My next thought was using PIs to stay wide and get forward (the latter like a libero), but the get forward PI isnt available from memory, so that discounts that option. My last idea would be the stay wide PI again alongside the PPMs gets forward whenever possible, gets into opposition area and, least crucially, brings ball out of defence.

But beyond this I am clueless, so I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts as to if/how you'd achieve this play.

Cheers

You can't achieve the behaviour needed. I feature requested this last year and again this year. As a Blades fan I've been screaming out for this for 2 years now. I want to be able to tell my CB's to overlap and provide an attacking threat. It's becoming more common in real life, especially teams who play with a back three.

42 minutes ago, Cleon said:

You can't achieve the behaviour needed. I feature requested this last year and again this year. As a Blades fan I've been screaming out for this for 2 years now. I want to be able to tell my CB's to overlap and provide an attacking threat. It's becoming more common in real life, especially teams who play with a back three.

I suspected thatd be the case, just hoped it wouldn't be. In real life terms it offers so much to your game, without alot of side would beat you without as much difficulty cause alot of your squad aren't typical top 6 players (McGoldrick, Freeman, etc.) and have been binned off by inferior sides, but done wonders with you.

It was only the other week your lot were at Pride Park and in the first half you really pegged us back and were unlucky not to take the lead, had you done I dont think wedve come back to win in the second half. An even bigger case for it is made in the fact that Basham scored your goal, if I remember correctly.

47 minutes ago, OJ403 said:

I suspected thatd be the case, just hoped it wouldn't be. In real life terms it offers so much to your game, without alot of side would beat you without as much difficulty cause alot of your squad aren't typical top 6 players (McGoldrick, Freeman, etc.) and have been binned off by inferior sides, but done wonders with you.

It was only the other week your lot were at Pride Park and in the first half you really pegged us back and were unlucky not to take the lead, had you done I dont think wedve come back to win in the second half. An even bigger case for it is made in the fact that Basham scored your goal, if I remember correctly.

We play the best football I've ever seen us play and I believe it's one of the most interesting styles in the country atm. Our issues is we are brilliant until the last ball. We rely on Duffy too much to create. If we fix this in January, I think we will begin to hammer a few teams because everything is there, right up until the final ball. 

4 hours ago, Cleon said:

We play the best football I've ever seen us play and I believe it's one of the most interesting styles in the country atm. Our issues is we are brilliant until the last ball. We rely on Duffy too much to create. If we fix this in January, I think we will begin to hammer a few teams because everything is there, right up until the final ball. 

Totally agree. Bit like us and Mount. Pretty sure we've got some more rejects to join Freeman and Coutts if your interested? 😂😂 nobody seems to want George Thorne or Jacob Butterfield for some reason...

But on a serious note I genuinely enjoy watching you and even though I should want you to lose, I just can't cause your too easy on the eye.

And about the final ball comment your right. If youd got it youdve been out of sight at half time, to an extent you could argue that you almost have too many players forward on occasion and end up smothering yourself. We have the opposite problem: seemingly a refusal from many players to get forward with intent or at all, then we bit and bob until the chance is gone. Never known a more sideways team than us

Archived