Sports Interactive Community
dannysheard

How many points did City get in 2018/19?

How many points did City get in 2018/19  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How many points did City get in the first season in your save?

• 100+
    • 96-100
    • 91-95
    • 86-90
    • 81-85
    • 80 or less

This is not trying to be clever; I'm just curious to see whether this has been corrected since FM18.

It matters because, if not, and City don't get 90+ points 90% of the time, I'd say it means playing as a decent team in the Premier League is far too easy.

Why should they have to get 90+ points 90% of the time, they haven’t successfully defended a league title yet, and last season was the 1st time they have got over 90 points.

But anyway on my Pompey save, in the 1st season they got 92 points and won the prem, and got 80+ goals.

330571380_cityseason1.thumb.png.33d6492e81db8fb4bea6e07dbd2e9c91.png

Edited by sedge11

37 minutes ago, forameuss said:

You do know there's other teams in the league, right?

Point taken, but it's just really disappointing if the game can't accurately (in lots of people's saves at least) come close to replicating the record of the best manager at the world's richest club who broke all records in the previous season.

32 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

Why should they have to get 90+ points 90% of the time, they haven’t successfully defended a league title yet, and last season was the 1st time they have got over 90 points.

But anyway on my Pompey save, in the 1st season they got 92 points and won the prem, and got 80+ goals.

330571380_cityseason1.thumb.png.33d6492e81db8fb4bea6e07dbd2e9c91.png

In his 9 seasons as manager, his average points/game would get 93 points in a 38-game season and only once has he been below a level that would get 87 points in a 38-game season.

1 minute ago, dannysheard said:

Point taken, but it's just really disappointing if the game can't accurately (in lots of people's saves at least) come close to replicating the record of the best manager at the world's richest club who broke all records in the previous season.

What exactly are they supposed to replicate?  The season you're talking about hasn't happened yet (well, a few games of it has, but still).  The game would be incredibly tedious if it was just "let's replay last season" ad nauseum with a nigh-on unbeatable team at the top.  The beauty of the game is that every save is different, and anything can happen.  

7 minutes ago, forameuss said:

What exactly are they supposed to replicate?  The season you're talking about hasn't happened yet (well, a few games of it has, but still).  The game would be incredibly tedious if it was just "let's replay last season" ad nauseum with a nigh-on unbeatable team at the top.  The beauty of the game is that every save is different, and anything can happen.  

Random Football Result Generator 2019.

After 22 games, they sit 1st with 57 pts, on par for 94 pts after 38 games.

End of first season for me (playing in Spain but have Premier League on full detail) they finished 2nd with 81 points. Liverpool won the league with 87 and Arsenal were 3rd on 80 and Man Utd 4th with 77. Man City were top of the possession charts with 58%, and most goals with 75.

They got 77 points and finished 3rd in my first season. I wasn't playing in the PL.

PL_18_19_season.thumb.JPG.bab05c570be28d31a9343ef4d121178a.JPG

Guardiola got sacked at the end of the season.

Edited by Flohrinho

On 09/11/2018 at 17:02, dannysheard said:

Random Football Result Generator 2019.

Well, with insight like that, how could you possibly be wrong?

Care to actually argue your side effectively rather than posting hilariously sulky one-liners?  I would've thought the point of this was to actually prove something rather than have a strop.

On 09/11/2018 at 16:43, forameuss said:

In real life they've just come off of a record breaking season for goals and points, this year they're on course to break their own records. They're currently missing their best player yet still look better than everyone else, of course their form might drop off (especially as I think they'll be prioritising the Champions League) but for a team that looks this good in real life to only get 77 points shows that something isn't translating from real life to the game. It's no secret that direct play tends to be more effective against the ME so it's no wonder City aren't as dominant as real life

87 points on mine, 2nd place, three points behind Liverpool. His job status is stable, at least for now, so probably won't get sacked.

United, meanwhile, finished 5th with 73 points, most likely lowest position and points I've ever seen a Mourinho managed team finish in FM since his Chelsea return in FM14. Usually he's won the league or finished 2nd behind whichever team I managed, including a season in FM15 where I got 109 points with United and his Chelsea side got 104, most points I've ever seen an AI side get in premier league. Guardiola's tactics probably don't work as well as they should in FM, which is a shame, but as long as Mourinho is no longer almost unbeatable then I'm happy.

My first season went:

1. Tottenham 94

2. Everton (me) 84

3. Manchester United 83

4. Manchester City 79 (Guardiola sacked)

Liverpool 5th, Chelsea 7th (Won UCL), Arsenal 9th (Emery sacked)

Personally I don't really care if the 'percieved' realism isn't spot on. It's a video game after all and my story and my journey. Man city coming 4th and Guardiola getting sacked didn't bother me one bit.

Edited by Robioto

2018/19 - Man City came 2nd with 80 pts and Tottenham won with 82 pts.

19/20 - Man City came 3rd with 85 pts, Liverpool 2nd with 86 pts and Arsenal champions with 90 pts.

20/21 - Man City came 2nd with 82 pts and Man Utd 1st with 94pts.

I do not manage in England so this was all AI.

again as in your other thread/topic on this, it really depends on which team you are managing doesn't it!?

if you are managing a premier league side then this will effect how city perform. 

1 hour ago, LG2694 said:

In real life they've just come off of a record breaking season for goals and points, this year they're on course to break their own records. They're currently missing their best player yet still look better than everyone else, of course their form might drop off (especially as I think they'll be prioritising the Champions League) but for a team that looks this good in real life to only get 77 points shows that something isn't translating from real life to the game. It's no secret that direct play tends to be more effective against the ME so it's no wonder City aren't as dominant as real life

Forget the bolded bit, using that as either praise of FM or criticism is never going to work, given that the data is essentially as of the end of last season, and the coding will have been locked off sometime over the summer.  It doesn't really matter what they've done this season.  Particularly when you're using subjective language like "on course to".  They could still fall off a cliff, or they could get even better.  There's plenty of sticks you can use to beat the game far more convincingly than complaining it can't mirror something that, essentially, hasn't happened yet.

And I still stand by the opinion that the game is all the better for having deviations from what's "normal".  Anyone that wants City to disappear into the distance every season because that's what they've done previously in real life lack a bit of imagination.

Poll is interesting because if this game wants to try and be realistic they should generally do well however to say they should finish on above 90pts, 90% of the time is ridiculous. I won't vote because the save I'm running is an edited online save and it would taint the results but I can say City are top by 1pt with 20 games played.

93 and won the league by 4 points over Liverpool. Following season they had 82 and won the league by 2 points over Liverpool. I'm not playing in the PL.

1 hour ago, forameuss said:

Forget the bolded bit, using that as either praise of FM or criticism is never going to work, given that the data is essentially as of the end of last season, and the coding will have been locked off sometime over the summer.  It doesn't really matter what they've done this season.  Particularly when you're using subjective language like "on course to".  They could still fall off a cliff, or they could get even better.  There's plenty of sticks you can use to beat the game far more convincingly than complaining it can't mirror something that, essentially, hasn't happened yet.

And I still stand by the opinion that the game is all the better for having deviations from what's "normal".  Anyone that wants City to disappear into the distance every season because that's what they've done previously in real life lack a bit of imagination.

I'm all for the game having deviating scenarios, I'm not asking the game to be programmed in a way where City win the premier league every year for the next ten years but going from being a mile ahead of everyone to not even being a serious title challenger shows an inability to reflect reality. The likelihood that City would end up going from winners to fourth/fifth this year, based on the evidence of last year, seems remarkably low yet it's common enough for people to make threads asking where City finish. 

My first season (with me as United, winning the treble):

1. United, 93
2. Liverpool, 87
3. Chelsea, 75
4. Tottenham, 74
5. Arsenal, 72
6. City, 71

Naturally, Guardiola was canned in early January. (when Unai Emery bailed on Arsenal for Barca in the 2019 off-season, Guardiola replaced him there)

1 hour ago, LG2694 said:

I'm all for the game having deviating scenarios, I'm not asking the game to be programmed in a way where City win the premier league every year for the next ten years but going from being a mile ahead of everyone to not even being a serious title challenger shows an inability to reflect reality. The likelihood that City would end up going from winners to fourth/fifth this year, based on the evidence of last year, seems remarkably low yet it's common enough for people to make threads asking where City finish. 

Go back a year and swap City for Chelsea.

Before the final game of the season, City had 91, ManUtd and Arsenal (me) 90. Because Arsenal played the second leg of the Europa League semis on thursday, the final match was played on monday (the rest of the PL played sunday, so there's a bigger problem than whatever points total City amass). ManUtd were winning 1-0 at Brighton, when Florin Andone equalized in stoppage time, and ManCity twice went in front vs. Burnley before a Defour penalty secured a surprising away point for the visitors. This set the stage for a dramatic monday, where Fulham were ahead of Cardiff for 18th place, by superior goal difference only (they could afford a 4-0 loss, but 5-0 would send them down). Xhaka and Lacazette secured a 3-0 win for the home side, meaning that ManCity's 92 points weren't enough to retain the title, beaten to the top by 1 single point.

(sorry, had to brag a little about this, pretty happy about how the season ended - now it's on to Baku for the Europa League final vs. AC Milan)

And then Pep was sacked by City the day after I won the league.

On 12/11/2018 at 08:35, forameuss said:

Well, with insight like that, how could you possibly be wrong?

Care to actually argue your side effectively rather than posting hilariously sulky one-liners?  I would've thought the point of this was to actually prove something rather than have a strop.

It doesn't really matter either way. Most people just want to win the league, despite only getting 82 points, and they get precious when someone suggests making the game harder or introducing difficulty levels.

It's all good, bruv. 

2 hours ago, dannysheard said:

Most people just want to win the league, despite only getting 82 points

Why not? Prem's been won seven or eight times with less.

17 minuti fa, warlock ha scritto:

Why not? Prem's been won seven or eight times with less.

not strange you remember it since you are a ManUtd supporter :D. however, mostly in last century.

15/16     Leicester       81
10/11    Man Utd        80
00/01    Man Utd        80
98/99    Man Utd        79
97/98    Arsenal          78
96/97    Man Utd        75
95/96    Man Utd        82

Edited by MBarbaric

14 minutes ago, MBarbaric said:

not strange you remember it since you are a ManUtd supporter :D. however, mostly in last century.

15/16     Leicester       81
10/11    Man Utd        80
00/01    Man Utd        80
98/99    Man Utd        79
97/98    Arsenal          78
96/97    Man Utd        75
95/96    Man Utd        82

I think the key point would be only twice in the last 9 seasons including this one has such a low points total won it.

The top end of the league is a lot more competitive now than some of those poor seasons.

This year actually looks like needing an even higher points total. If things continued on the same form as the first 12 games, Liverpool would get 95 points - and still not win the league. Tottenham are on course for 85.5, but that's only enough for 4th, and despite the fact 2/3rds of their fixtures so far have been at home. You could argue Chelsea are really on course for 4th with 88/89 points! So it's not exactly likely but definitely plausible that e.g. Spurs or Arsenal could get to a points total in the mid-80s this season and not even make the Champions League, when traditionally 70 points was enough to guarentee top 4 and mid-80s gave you a 50/50 chance of winning the title. A truly mad season so far.

27 minuti fa, dannysheard ha scritto:

I think the key point would be only twice in the last 9 seasons including this one has such a low points total won it.

The top end of the league is a lot more competitive now than some of those poor seasons.

Oh I am not arguing that at all. Man City, nor any possession-oriented team, plays anything like their counterparts. 

34 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

The top end of the league is a lot more competitive now

You mean less competitive.

I don't think many people would have thought Chelsea would fall away so spectacularly under Mourinho the year after winning the title, but they did.

For the record, my first season (I was managing in San Marino but had England on in full), Arsenal were first with 78 points, Spurs second with 77, Liverpool third with 75, Man City fourth with 74 and Man Utd fifth with 71.

On 12/11/2018 at 19:22, Cavenagh said:

Go back a year and swap City for Chelsea.

They two are not even close to being the same; Chelsea didn't break records and it was a two horse race until April, City essentially had the league won by Christmas and were miles better than everyone else.

This is a good topic.

That said, I'd suggest people state whether seasons they report happened in Beta, or full release, as this will make a difference.