Sports Interactive Community
dannysheard

City still rubbish.

11 league games into first season with Liverpool and City (yes, the team that got 100 points last season and have the best manager in the world) are already 9 points behind me and Chelsea and are pretty much out of the title race.

Well done.

Edited by dannysheard

In mine City finished with more than 90 points... Excellent with anecdotal evidence, right?

You have given no context, and no information without that single line. Brilliant report. :applause:

Seems to be a theme with City in recent issues of FM for me - they don't win anything bar the odd FA Cup and massively under perform in the league. AI transfers have also been a bit of an issue for a while - they never seem to buy sensibly, not helped by changing manager every two years.

Edited by Kingstontom88

6 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

11 league games into first season with Liverpool and City (yes, the team that got 100 points last season and have the best manager in the world) are already 9 points behind me and Chelsea and are pretty much out of the title race.

Well done.

Your mind will be really blown by the 2016/17 season then. 

Doesn't sound worthy of a sarcastic "Well done" at all.

Only 11 games in. Chelsea and Liverpool are obviously not bad teams. Man City is not gonna auto-win every season just because they easily won last year.

19 minutes ago, XaW said:

In mine City finished with more than 90 points... Excellent with anecdotal evidence, right?

You have given no context, and no information without that single line. Brilliant report. :applause:

Not sure how much additional you need to work out that I'm saying that, as was commented on time and time again for FM18, City are more often than not terrible on this game. I'd probably go as far as to say that stating the season I'm in and the team I'm playing and the league I'm playing in and the quality of the opposition (with reference to their manager and their performance in the prior year) could be pigeon-holed as context, at a push.

Just now, dannysheard said:

Not sure how much additional you need to work out that I'm saying that, as was commented on time and time again for FM18, City are more often than not terrible on this game. I'd probably go as far as to say that stating the season I'm in and the team I'm playing and the league I'm playing in and the quality of the opposition (with reference to their manager and their performance in the prior year) could be pigeon-holed as context, at a push.

And if you had said the same about FM18 I would agree with you since it happened again and again for just about everyone. In FM19 however, possession-based football seems much better. Both Klopp and Pep seems to play as they should, and not fail each and every time. In my save Liverpool won just ahead of Man City with both teams picking up more than 90 points.

You are only 11 games into the season, you have not mentioned who they have played against, nothing about transfers, nothing about injuries, nothing about the matches individually. And even if nothing from there could tell anything, there is always random chance. If there is 1% chance of this happens, it will happen in 10,000 games of 1 million...

That is why I said anecdotal evidence and no context or information.

41 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Well done.

How can they be out of the title race after 11 games, who’s to say they won’t put a run together, while you and Chelsea drop points. Maybe actually judge it later on in the season or at the end, to judge it after 11 games is just silly and abit pointless.

Just to add on my Pompey save I’m 3 seasons in, Man City won the prem in the 1st and 2nd season and also won the champs league in the 2nd season and then lost in the final of the 3rd season, so they have been very good in mine. Pep has just left though after the 3rd season to manage Juventus.

54 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Well done.

City in my save is winning the league with more then 90 points 2 seasons running now, 1x CL final as well, so...

It's almost like you can't really carry off a snarky comment about the wider state of the game from only one very small sample.

This is also anecdotal of course but I have not seen Man City do well in FM for years. They always have a revolving door of managers and are extremely prone to being shockingly bad in the league, I'm talking seasons where they spend time in the bottom half and end limping to a 7th place finish.

But in my experience all the top 6 teams are prone to this, it's just most noticeable when it happens to City because they always have the strongest squads. In the past couple of FM's there hasn't been a single season in my yearly Liverpool saves where one or more of the other big teams wasn't failing miserably. In my current save Guardiola got sacked in November with City in 7th place, and Emery is somehow still in a job in December despite Arsenal being in 13th-14th place the entire time. 

Edited by bar333

34 minutes ago, sedge11 said:

How can they be out of the title race after 11 games, who’s to say they won’t put a run together, while you and Chelsea drop points.

That's actually a very good suggestion to make, in particular considering that football is such a pitifully low scoring sports (in-game, mostly too). Which in turn means: Results and performances aren't quite always a perfect match. Occasionally, not for weeks. Like the start of of the Juventus 2015 season. If you wanted to get rid of that, make the goals bigger, or get get rid of keepers entirelly. :D

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1005921/MatchReport/Italy-Serie-A-2015-2016-Juventus-Udinese
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1005941/MatchReport/Italy-Serie-A-2015-2016-Juventus-Chievo
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1006015/MatchReport/Italy-Serie-A-2015-2016-Juventus-Frosinone
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1006062/MatchReport/Italy-Serie-A-2015-2016-Inter-Juventus
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1006105/MatchReport/Italy-Serie-A-2015-2016-Sassuolo-Juventus
That said, even looking at the more simple stats FM tends to provide, that's not how top team in-game underperformances typically comes about (if you look at the league shot on target tables the game provides, you'll likely find City aren't nowhere near the top). Traditionally, some remaning nonsensical AI decisions can be in parts to blame.

Then again, if the above were happening, I'm not sure how players would react if they were on the "receiving end" of things. From experience, FM'ers tend to go "broken match engine" as soon as they lose a single game despite statistically "dominating" an opposition. :D

All of that said, the EPL is far more competitive at the top than purely looking at the point tables from last season show, imo. It's not like the Bundesliga back then at all. So City trailing a couple points behind rather than being like 10 points clear isn't an issue as such at all. Whilst the current focus is now on City for rather obvious reasons: It's worth remembering how public perception about a) Guardiola used to be like the season he arrived and b) his results. Over single seasons, which is just 38 matches after all, chance plays a far more significant part than over 100, 200, 300 matches....

Edited by Svenc

City are ***** in my Utd save. They didnt challenge at all, Chelsea ran us all the way. And David Silva was transfer listed (not by request) towards the end of the season!

First season on my save has City 11 points clear at the top with 1 defeat by mid January (to me, the Mighty 2nd place 11 points off the pace Reds).

Kind of annoying really since if they were as bad as they seem to be for everyone else I might win something.

City always perform poorly on all of my saves. Never win the league and usually drop out the top 4.. 

Very strange.. 

20 minutes ago, toby14 said:

City always perform poorly on all of my saves. Never win the league and usually drop out the top 4.. 

Very strange.. 

It is strange; they're always terrible in my experience of the last few versions of the game. They've got 22 points from 14 games in my save, so if I win my easy game in hand, I'll be 14 points clear of them. Palace are currently second.

Pep has just walked onto the pitch after losing at home to West Ham and revealed a t-shirt under his turtle neck which reads 'Why never me?'

Potentially as they're a possession-based side with a lot of technical players, which doesn't seem the current ME's favoured combination. If this City team is struggling as many here are suggesting, then I don't see how this can be viewed as anything other than an indictment of the engine's struggles with accurately representing sides with City's characteristics. 

Would imagine that all of the other top teams in England have players with more impressive physical attributes too, something else the engine perhaps favours?

'why cant everyones save be the same?' :(

'why cant the teams that win the previous years leagues IRL just carry on winning in FM?' :(

guys, you are managing City's closest rivals so you are bound to effect their performance :eek: surely that's how you want FM to play out? 

Edited by Carninho

10 minutes ago, Carninho said:

'why cant everyones save be the same?' :(

'why cant the teams that win the previous years leagues IRL just carry on winning in FM?' :(

guys, you are managing City's closest rivals so you are bound to effect their performance :eek: surely that's how you want FM to play out? 

Yes, silly me; I want City to go from 2.6+ points per game to 1.5 points per game by taking over as Liverpool manager.

City were 2nd bottom at Xmas on mine when Guardiola got the sack, Klopp took over and they are 6th nearing the end of the season. 

8 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Yes, silly me; I want City to go from 2.6+ points per game to 1.5 points per game by taking over as Liverpool manager.

with the flood of info you added its difficult to say if you taken 3 points off city yourself. 

have city played other 'top 6 sides' and you've not.

had any injuries

and more to the point why should they have 2.6 points per game in FM? 

also I wasn't directing that previous post solely at you, but if you notice the people that have said city are underperforming are managing Liverpool, Arsenal & Man U. if you manage the same teams each year in FM then you will see the other top sides 'under perform' you cant all win and sign the best players.

What really annoyed me was that time when City stormed to the Premier League title, only to register 37 (THIRTY-SEVEN) fewer points the following season.

Hang on... that was Leicester City in real life, wasn't it? :p

Manchester City won the PL with 82 points in the first season of my Fiorentina save, though only because Manchester United and Chelsea blew chances to pip them on the final day. United, Chelsea and Liverpool all finished on 80 points, so it was very competitive at the top.

35 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

And conveniently avoid commenting on posts....

6 hours ago, XaW said:

And if you had said the same about FM18 I would agree with you since it happened again and again for just about everyone. In FM19 however, possession-based football seems much better. Both Klopp and Pep seems to play as they should, and not fail each and every time. In my save Liverpool won just ahead of Man City with both teams picking up more than 90 points.

You are only 11 games into the season, you have not mentioned who they have played against, nothing about transfers, nothing about injuries, nothing about the matches individually. And even if nothing from there could tell anything, there is always random chance. If there is 1% chance of this happens, it will happen in 10,000 games of 1 million...

That is why I said anecdotal evidence and no context or information.

Anything to say about this?

51 minutes ago, CFuller said:

What really annoyed me was that time when City stormed to the Premier League title, only to register 37 (THIRTY-SEVEN) fewer points the following season.

Hang on... that was Leicester City in real life, wasn't it? :p

Manchester City won the PL with 82 points in the first season of my Fiorentina save, though only because Manchester United and Chelsea blew chances to pip them on the final day. United, Chelsea and Liverpool all finished on 80 points, so it was very competitive at the top.

Oooh, 82 points and 80 points... glad I didn't have to compete THAT season!

I can remember abandoning my game in the 3rd season as Manchester City in fm18 as I literally could not win a match. My team was amazing as well. I think the AI overcompansates sometimes. 

City were pretty dominant in my final FM18 game.  It was usually them and Man Utd fighting for the league (until my mighty West Brom turned up!)

7 ore fa, dannysheard ha scritto:

Well done.

If you want realism then you had to complain even when in last FM you won the CL even if last year your best result has been a semifinal, once

Btw talking seriously, 1 career isn't a good sample size, I hope you realize that :D In all my simulations Liverpool and City dominated the PL

Edited by ParanoidBuddha

Yeah, and in Germany, Bayern M., who won with 21 pts. last year, are being outpaced by opponents.
In Spain, giants Real Madrid are only 6th, 7 pts. off the top spot.
In Italy, I once saw Inter win 5 straight titles, then suddenly finishing 26 pts. behind the winner.
I once noticed, in France, Lyon win 7 straight titles, only to have to wait 7 years before they managed to challenge for the title again..

Oh, wait, those were real life examples, sorry.

10 minutes ago, Showerman said:

city have a great side

usually do very well on FM

especially after they sack Guardiola by xmas

Think that is the issue

I have ran 20 different  Sims

city do ok the odd title etc but only after ancelotti takes over

I have not seen them win anything with Pep in charge he is usually sacked by the end of the first season

Are we all getting this happen? Pep sacked  Carlo takes over

Edited by kingrobbo

28 minutes ago, kingrobbo said:

Think that is the issue

I have not seen them win anything with Pep in charge he is usually sacked by the end of the first season

I've set up a poll to try to establish this, but people get a bit precious about it, like you're not supposed to talk about the fact that too often they're naff.

1 hour ago, kingrobbo said:

Think that is the issue

yep happened on my beta save and now full game...

1 hour ago, dannysheard said:

I've set up a poll to try to establish this, but people get a bit precious about it, like you're not supposed to talk about the fact that too often they're naff.

check out this topic i made before

1 hour ago, Showerman said:

yep happened on my beta save and now full game...

check out this topic i made before

It feels like there's far too much variability in how many points they get, despite City having the best squad, the best manager and the most money. I would say, given Pep's past history and the squad they've got, it would be really unlikely that they get less than 90 points this season.

12 hours ago, dannysheard said:

"more often than not terrible"?

I've started FM19 the same way I start every FM, by playing a huge number of single season save games to get the feel for the game in a variety of nations and in both low and high divisions. So far in FM19 I have played 16 different one season save games. Manchester City have won the league in 11 of them. Of the other 5 they were within 3 points of the leader and finished 2nd 3 times, 1 time finished 3rd but still got 91 points only being beaten by my Liverpool team and an outstanding Chelsea side, and on 1 occasion they finished 4th but within 8 points of the winner.

Over my 16 saves they average just over 92 points in the first season.

They also won the Champions League twice, the Europa League on both occasions when they failed to make it through their Champions League group, the FA Cup 6 times and the League Cup 7 times.

As you can clearly see, my experience 100% matches up with yours...

44 minutes ago, mack4ever said:

"more often than not terrible"?

I've started FM19 the same way I start every FM, by playing a huge number of single season save games to get the feel for the game in a variety of nations and in both low and high divisions. So far in FM19 I have played 16 different one season save games. Manchester City have won the league in 11 of them. Of the other 5 they were within 3 points of the leader and finished 2nd 3 times, 1 time finished 3rd but still got 91 points only being beaten by my Liverpool team and an outstanding Chelsea side, and on 1 occasion they finished 4th but within 8 points of the winner.

Over my 16 saves they average just over 92 points in the first season.

They also won the Champions League twice, the Europa League on both occasions when they failed to make it through their Champions League group, the FA Cup 6 times and the League Cup 7 times.

As you can clearly see, my experience 100% matches up with yours...

Irony; that's good. It seems there's a split between people who see an 'appropriate' City and those who see a shambles. For me, and many others, the shambles City seems to happen every time.

13 hours ago, Showerman said:

city have a great side

usually do very well on FM

especially after they sack Guardiola by xmas

Hahahha, so true. 

City won CL in the 1st year of my current save & finished 3rd in the EPL.

CL.thumb.png.6a82b0ef13847b1f5016dc9d93156226.pngTable.thumb.png.b1e82acccef546be64579a2975f10754.png

Ironically, Pep left that same year. He's now at PSG. Conte is the current HC.