Sports Interactive Community
calcal

The Italian Job! Italian league thread is here!

What a lovely intro! I like the the ultras photo :D Looks like a nice team to choose, makes me a bit envious that I didn't start off with a lower league team.

That striker from Savona looks like he could play in Serie B from what I've seen, good luck for next season :thup:

Loving the write up @Creativity :applause:Hopefully you can carry on with that form into second part of the season :thup: 

Image result for frosinone calcio badge

Frosinone Calcio

Been a hot minute since my last post updating you on the first half of the 2019/20 season where we left you amidst a battle for the top 6. Fast forward to today and I'm delighted to be able to let you all know that we clinched a top 4 finish on the final day of the season, the same game-week where we missed out on top 4 last season. Nothing but relief! Frosinone Calcio have qualified for the UEFA Champions League 2020/21! The second half of the season was amazing.

For those of you who don't want to read into much detail but want the screenshots, here's an overview of the competitions for the 2019/20 season. 

Serie A: A very impressive campaign which followed directly on from the foundations we put in place last season. Ironically, despite a switch to a slightly more offensive 442 system we scored less goals (45) than last season (46) but conceded only 24 in comparison to the 30 goals we shipped last year. The defensive core of this team is outstanding and is something I look to keep in place next year, familiarity is certainly key in this regard. Looking on the other end of the spectrum, going forwards I'd like us to be finding the net more often. We were very reliant this year on Pinamonti and Fernandez who scored 14 and 7 league goals respectively with few goals coming from the wings; as such this is certainly an area I would like to improve on. This is the second consecutive season where one player has carried us with goal-scoring ability, a successful habit, but a dangerous one. However, 19 wins, 13 draws and 6 defeats is an incredible season! Inter Milan retained their status as Champions.

Europa League: A strong 4-0 away win at Shakhtar Donetsk saw us overcome the 2-2 draw at home, which at the time was an extremely disappointing result. Following this draw we comfortably moved past Anderlecht before falling victim to familiar opposition in AC Milan, Divock Origi proving to be a right pain in our backside. Overall, I'm very happy with this level of progression, it was our first taste of European Football and I'm sure we did Frosinone fans everywhere very proud! Barcelona lifted the trophy, beating Manchester United 3-1 in the final.

TIM Cup: A 1st round knockout last year was outdone as we managed to battle our way right through to the semi-finals where we were hammered away at the Olimpico by AS Roma. This was the second competition we exited in the same week which was tough to take, but we kept our league form going and as such I can have no complaints here. Fingers crossed we reach a final next year! Inter eventually ran out cup and league double winners after beating Roma 1-0 in extra-time.

In terms of the playing squad, here is an overview of the players listed via position. Pinamonti was instrumental to our success having bagged 24 goals in all competitions while Fernandez topped the assist charts with 9. CCaptain Capuano maintained a 7.29 average rating across 34 appearances to cement himself as an absolute legend in my eyes; I love a solid central defender!

Looking forwards...

The board have set us an initial budget of £29.88m to invest in the squad, hardly a surprise when our finances look so healthy. We know that facility upgrades are coming but will look to improve in other areas; particularly staff as many of these contracts expire come the end of June. Last season we had a lot of loan signings (albeit fewer than the year before) and hopefully we can secure some of these players on long-term deals. Elsewhere we will simply be scouting far and wide to find the best and cheapest talent possible as we look forward to our first taste of the UEFA Champions League.

Tactical tweaks, signings and more to come in the next update. Forza Frosinone!

P.S. Here's a look at the goal that saw us past SPAL 2-1 on the Final day of the season. The Champions League goal!

43b639c539aeade10a74e244e83ea7f7.thumb.gif.6a8dc52ac75ea6dd1a5f81496e6237dc.gif

Having a few days off, so my boredom took its toll. Despite having a save already, one with Birmingham, i decided to start another one in Italy and switch between them. So i picked up mantle at Foggia Calcio. Serie B. Starting with a minus 6 points (financial mismanagement). And cherry on top, two of my best players are injured.

It's gonna be fun...

League Table

Squad

Iemmello and Deli

Some insane tactical setup (Talked it out with my mates, had to try it out in FM)

Posted (edited)

cb458a1d2da0732a3036d5cad352fec1.png

Risks have been taken. The board set us 30m to spend but following a couple of sales and a couple of installment signings we've splashed almost 45m on new players. We can't afford to go back to being a top-half team and need to cement our position as a top 6 team. Will the gamble pay off? Only time will tell! :eek:

Pinamonti was secured on another season long loan, this time with an optional 10m future fee.

Edited by Werrett

On 10/07/2019 at 12:35, ajt said:

What a lovely intro! I like the the ultras photo :D Looks like a nice team to choose, makes me a bit envious that I didn't start off with a lower league team.

That striker from Savona looks like he could play in Serie B from what I've seen, good luck for next season :thup:

Cheers :) Yeah, I like teams that a little bit of history but have failed to get anywhere near matching it. Casale FC is quite fun, money isn't crazy in Italy like England, so should stay challenging building them up.

Yeah he looks great, its a long shot tempting him though, hoping Savona don't go up. 

17 hours ago, john1 said:

Loving the write up @Creativity :applause:Hopefully you can carry on with that form into second part of the season :thup: 

Cheers man :) 

Nice one Werrett that goal is a proper screamer!

Enjoy Tonali I see he's gone for a ridiculously small fee as per usual :lol:

I've never managed in italy before but am starting a save with Milan. What's the story with the U20/U18 teams? Milan has a lot of players at both levels but most of the U20 players are out on loan. What squad sizes do you recommend for each level? Will U20 and U18 both have fixtures? 

ROMA.thumb.jpg.4381bcfe8f50bded3739f985765791d7.jpg

AS Roma - season 1

Feeling a little bored of FM and the micro-managed lower league saves I've dedicated my time to in this years version, I got inspired by The Byline's AS Roma project. It felt like the perfect place for me to do my first Serie A save in years as the squad is filled with experienced, professional players and youngsters that are about 19-22 years old and not 16-17, so I could start using them immediately. Roma have a history of generational Italian talents being extremely loyal to the club, i.e. Gianluca Giannini, Bruno Conti, Francesco Totti and Daniele De Rossi. As Roma currently have a crop of players who are able to become exactly that (Alessandro Florenzi, Lorenzo and Luca Pellegrini, Nicolo Zaniolo, Alessio Riccardi), I wanted to continue the tradition while adding warriors and nifty talents around them to make Roma, based in Europe's most historical city, the European giant it deserves to be.

After selling some huge names over the last 3 seasons (Miralem Pjanic, Mo Salah, Antonio Rudiger, Alisson Becker, Radja Nainggolan, Kevin Strootman, Emerson Palmieri and Leandro Paredes) the club isn't at the level it should be. Many of their key players are old (Edin Dzeko, De Rossi, Aleksandar Kolarov and Federico Fazio) and, while able to perform in the short term, will need replacing over the next 2-3 seasons. The tactic I decided on was a custom made 4-1-2-2-1 (wingers) with rather few team instructions. I also made a defensive version of the same tactic with other TI's and the same roles but attack and support changed to support and defend, respectively, on some of them.

SK

CWB - BPD - CD - CWB

HB

AP - BBM

IF - - - - - - - - - - - - - - W

CF

I started with the first transfer window disabled. In January the coffers were boosted with roughly 19 millions and I had a clear vision of players to move on to get some cash in, which was much needed as the debt of the club is over 200 million pounds. I decided to move on Juan Jesus, my fourth choice DC to get his 70k p/w off the wage bill (which was in the red by about 90k). Javier Pastore was the only player in the squad bar Edin Dzeko on over 100k p/w, and with Pellegrini starting as the midfield playmaker, I decided to move Pastore on for 22 millions, the same amount he cost the club 6 months earlier. Rick Karsdorp, while an able backup to Florenzi, was in complain mode the whole first half of the season and was sold to Man Utd. United started to show big interest in Kostas Manolas, my far best DC, and were successfully unsettling him. I decided to try offering them Fazio as he was playing well besides Manolas, 31 years old and on big wages (80-90k p/w), and they bit. Over 300k removed from each week's wage cost and some healthy transfer money brought in as well.

The first 11 didn't need much attention this window transfer wise. I wanted a new goalkeeper and was scouring the market but nothing ideal popped up. The only first team signing I made was Nikola Milenkovic from Fiorentina for 27.5 (might rise to 32.5) millions to replace Fazio. Milenkovic has Fazio's height (both 195 cm) and weight (both 90 kg), the upper hand on other physical attributes and the room to outgrow Fazio big time in the mental department, but is lacking a bit in the ball playing skills I need to have beside the inept passer that Manolas is. I have hopes that Milenkovic can grow into a decent passer though. Replacing Karsdorp as my backup right back, Matteo Darmian came the other way from United on loan. Very economically tidy deal as I only had to pay him 15k p/w and no loan fee was required by Utd. I had already secured deals for Sandro Tonali from Brescia (never tried him on this FM, have to do so before the new edition comes out) and Kevin Bukusu (DC) from Leverkusen. My scout found Antony Angileri (DC, most of you in this thread probably know of him) who is the perfect youngster. Already a model citizen with 13 in leadership, he could become a real stalwart in defence for me and another player in the Italian core of loyal Roma players. Hopefully he develops as he should.

435749671_ScreenShot2019-07-12at10_52_59.thumb.png.36dba1b4a141e1120a176476193f33ae.png

The league form was up and down all the way through the season and in the end we managed to snap the 4th place out of Milan's hands and secure Champions League football - a vital feat in our Roman revolution. I had set the target to get 2 points on average for each game as that is usually enough for a top 4 finish, and we did exactly that, with a very healthy goal difference to boot (68 for, 33 against). In the CL we were really unlucky as we were drawn in a group of the last year's finalists, Real Madrid and Liverpool (and Hoffenheim). After a bad first round (3 points from 3 games, only the win against Hoffenheim), we turned the ship around in an amazing comeback at Bernabeu, scoring twice in added time to secure a 2-3 victory over Real. In the end we qualified with 9 points and Real went to the EL with 7 points in the 3rd place (Liverpool had 16). Our drawing luck hadn't turned around though as we were drawn against Man City, who eliminated us with two 2-1 victories and are to play Liverpool in the final. We had a good cup run which ended in a 5-4 penalty shoot-out loss against Inter in the final, really gutting.

663786159_ScreenShot2019-07-12at10_51_28.thumb.png.641e569067a731f03f80aef79c71a1c1.png

Overall I was pretty happy with the season and the squad. Kolarov, Pellegrini and Cengiz Ünder were the standouts for me, while I was also very pleased with young Kluivert and Riccardi. Players I expected more from were N'zonzi, Perotti and Dzeko, while I was also unhappy with Robin Olsen on more than few occasions.

1781477040_ScreenShot2019-07-12at10_54_17.thumb.png.8ed27801e0b49c95893d8b0d4710b927.png

Of concern to me is Zaniolo's injury proneness. His injury susceptibility is listed as below average and his medical reports says that he has no recurring injuries, but either he was very unlucky this season or I need to get a new set of physios and sports scientists. Twice this season he twisted his ankle, once he bruised his ankle and once he pulled his ankle ligaments - four ankle injuries in the space of 9 months. Unfortunately I can't see which foot it was each time so it's more difficult to assess if it's a recurring event. Along with his ankle troubles he strained and tore his hamstring and gashed his upper leg. The gashed leg was the only injury caused by a tackle, which concerns me as that suggests he hasn't just been unlucky with rough challenges.

44885671_ScreenShot2019-07-12at10_56_34.thumb.png.51f7d9f71952f6ec641b391bfcfe06bb.png

I find this very distressing as he is amazing by all standards as a 19 year old, and the injuries are hampering his development into a superstar.

1398281002_ScreenShot2019-07-12at10_55_51.thumb.png.d9da0c27d1eacc13fe1bd24923e15611.png

The board has given me another 20 odd millions to improve the squad in the summer, but no extra wage budget. I have a few players coming back from loan who might play a role in the squad next season (Luca Pellegrini, Ezequiel Ponce and Maxime Gonalons) and others that I might try to cash in on (Grégoire Defrel, Gérson, Bruno Peres). Diego Perotti is a player I want to get rid of, 31 years old on high wages (89k p/w) and injury prone, while players such as Dzeko, Iván Marcano and Stephan El Shaarawy only have their personalities and/or influence in the dressing room restraining me from cutting ties with them. The goalkeeping position will be revamped as I want to get rid of backup keeper Antonio Mirante at all costs (old, moaning, almost 30k p/w and zero games played (he is professional though)) and Robin Olsen will be joining Arsenal when the window opens for 8.75 millions. To replace him I have Keylor Navas coming in from Real Madrid for 24 millions, a class keeper I really rate. It was hard spending the entire season trying to unsettle the model citizen despite him not even playing in Europa League for Real, but worth it when they finally lowered their asking price from 64 millions to 24. Backing him up I might bring in someone with potential who could be tutored by Navas, or I could promote reserves keeper Daniel Fuzato to save some money. Fuzato's not good enough though and will probably never play for me.

2014739580_ScreenShot2019-07-12at10_52_12.thumb.png.a5ed264332d23e0f4c27da52f9ca0767.png

12 hours ago, andrewsgn said:

I've never managed in italy before but am starting a save with Milan. What's the story with the U20/U18 teams? Milan has a lot of players at both levels but most of the U20 players are out on loan. What squad sizes do you recommend for each level? Will U20 and U18 both have fixtures? 

I try to keep a squad size of no more than 13 for each one, but I currently have fewer han this as I am focusing less on regens this save. You can also use your u20 fixtures to build up fitness for players in the senior squad. Both teams will have fixtures throughout the year with some gaps.

Edited by ajt

46 minutes ago, Sysiphus said:

Of concern to me is Zaniolo's injury proneness. His injury susceptibility is listed as below average and his medical reports says that he has no recurring injuries, but either he was very unlucky this season or I need to get a new set of physios and sports scientists. Twice this season he twisted his ankle, once he bruised his ankle and once he pulled his ankle ligaments - four ankle injuries in the space of 9 months. Unfortunately I can't see which foot it was each time so it's more difficult to assess if it's a recurring event. Along with his ankle troubles he strained and tore his hamstring and gashed his upper leg. The gashed leg was the only injury caused by a tackle, which concerns me as that suggests he hasn't just been unlucky with rough challenges.

Excellent write up Roma will be a great save I reckon. As for Zaniolo I had him at Bayern on a long term save this year and he seemed fine in terms of injuries.

I'm in the 4th season of my Inter save and still finding it tough.

Finished 3rd, 6th, and 3rd again but so far holding on to the 4th spot with some streaky results. I think my biggest problem is finding a striker that can score consistently or at the very least not waste so many chances. 

I'm playing a 4-3-3 possession style, my team is good at defending but awful on defending corners, great at creating chances but get the occasional counter goal scored against me.

1 hour ago, interesti88 said:

I'm in the 4th season of my Inter save and still finding it tough.

Well you're doing better than Inter in my save! They finished 8th last year even with Icardi.

1 hour ago, ajt said:

Excellent write up Roma will be a great save I reckon. As for Zaniolo I had him at Bayern on a long term save this year and he seemed fine in terms of injuries.

Well that's good to hear, hopefully he'll be the same for me in the upcoming seasons. The plus side of him playing few games last season is that no one's bidding for him. On the other hand I'm getting high bids for Pellegrini, Ünder and Manolas which seems unrealistic to refuse so it will be a tough window replacing them.

13 minutes ago, Sysiphus said:

Well that's good to hear, hopefully he'll be the same for me in the upcoming seasons. The plus side of him playing few games last season is that no one's bidding for him. On the other hand I'm getting high bids for Pellegrini, Ünder and Manolas which seems unrealistic to refuse so it will be a tough window replacing them.

Just checked my save & Manolas and Under both left Roma in 2019. They went for very nice money though so hopefully you'll get enough to replace them :thup:

18 hours ago, ajt said:

Just checked my save & Manolas and Under both left Roma in 2019. They went for very nice money though so hopefully you'll get enough to replace them :thup:

Yes, have sold them both by now, and they're not easily replaced. Got very good money for them so that's not an issue.

On 05/07/2019 at 21:44, quee said:

I've started now, but taking it slowly. Almost into 3rd week of June and still no 'End of Season Awards' and my players are still not off to their holidays. (I'm still being asked about training each week). Bug?

Finally got back into it. I would also like to welcome the new members to the thread! Hope all your saves are going well in Italy!

PARMA CALCIO 1913 - JUNE UPDATE 2021

As stated previously, my players were still asking to train despite no fixtures. Turns out it was because the u18s still have fixtures to play (league playoffs and cup finals? Since I used 'the real name fix', not sure which competition those were). I hoped those full rest weeks instead of going on holiday won't hinder their ability that much (They only went on holiday in the 3rd week of June!). Was surprised my regen GK, Hyso, not selected in any of the matches, though.

1583828198_Screenshot2019-07-0422_30_50.thumb.png.f17a2619fc6c60fb9bfbcac6500e4170.png

938307352_Screenshot2019-07-1600_27_42.thumb.png.ed441967cb3d41c9c73891456960e9d2.png

It was a busy summer for some of my younger players. In the u20 World Cup, was surprised to get a message saying Hien Sie played in the Bronze medal match (He was on the bench in the prior games, so I forgot he was involved in the tournament). Ivonei led Brazil to the final, before losing to Colombia. Those regens from Colombia, eh?

1055974162_Screenshot2019-07-0423_07_15.thumb.png.ca9a16df3a97143266422271d2d80daa.png

1309733104_Screenshot2019-07-1615_39_39.thumb.png.0d4961afa0e597e8d118523bd35eab59.png

I was wondering why some players were not involved in the u20 World Cup. The u21 Euros are more important, I guess. As of writing, Italy and Spain are in the semifinals, playing against Germany and France, respectively.

470284750_Screenshot2019-06-2518_15_20.thumb.png.2ab657d015401bec86a7c14e10268777.png

African Cup of Nations sees 6 of my players involved (I just realised I have lots of African contigent in the team). Still playing the group stage as of writing.

1819672058_Screenshot2019-06-2518_55_19.thumb.png.1e7dd6a8b385df57cc73fc8a71047a69.png

At the end of the first week in June, I decided to test the water again with Bastoni! In my last full update, I mentioned Inter wanting £40m+ for Bastoni. This time they quoted me at half of that, and with negotiations, it came down to just £13m! Easy choice and he's signed as my 2nd highest earner behind Gomez. My defensive leader sorted hopefully for the next 10 years. That's most of my budget gone, and I will focus the rest of my summer on renewing contracts for Stulac, Tonali, and Xadas. (All of them were professional last season after having a conversation with them about contract renewals, so I will reward them this summer). Luperto at £1.9m is still tempting, though! Even Cozza's Montpellier was relegated (so his price would have gone down) but I decided against pursuing him (too many players with Bastoni, Botturi, Senesi already there (will go out on loan again hopefully to Spanish club this time), and I preferred Luperto to Cozza at this time).

170711595_Screenshot2019-07-0418_53_03.thumb.png.d2957c59db034d13ed6129b871c5394e.png

PARMA END OF SEASON AWARDS

As soon as the u18s fixtures were done in the 3rd week of June, these finally came up. Some surprising results like Olaza is not the Signing of the Season (I guess Pereira's run in the Coppa Italia played a factor here?). Decided to keep the pre-season short at 3 weeks due to the late holidays and last season's long season.

939823145_Screenshot2019-07-1600_34_40.thumb.png.a60836ef62722d3de0b6cb2b28817966.png

1399115668_Screenshot2019-07-1600_34_53.thumb.png.78fcf09d4a9f2a76cba8309b726a4bde.png

1601419541_Screenshot2019-07-1600_34_02.thumb.png.47fb2156a20a06e9b6dabe309fea366b.png

1144587975_Screenshot2019-07-1600_35_27.thumb.png.148785716e6fd52e1039c6a9fb68681b.png

1010917405_Screenshot2019-07-1601_58_26.thumb.png.a8994e636babe32d4af8b6bb8f13c43a.png

This always puzzled me. Lo Celso rarely plays for me this season yet he's quite popular in shirt sales. Must be because of his reputation? You would expect some of the popular players with the fans to get more shirt sales (like Stulac).

853745948_Screenshot2019-07-1600_38_08.thumb.png.658ee24fedb817f28debc4d16f8cb87b.png

The board reminded me of the on-going upgrade happening.

582526179_Screenshot2019-07-1600_39_30.thumb.png.25cf7d794a3a1a07d5f2b5706271d93f.png

Decided to follow up with a request of my own, which they initially rejected but after a few persisting, they agreed to this as well.

1908676848_Screenshot2019-07-1600_40_48.thumb.png.be6a530dd3201558d8dd7267025e5f98.png

Thought about requesting to expand the stadium, but upon checking, Parma only sold-out 3 of our home games (Man Utd, Juve, and Fiorentina). Will try next year, especially since our participation in CL will hopefully help boost our fans numbers.

1246581153_Screenshot2019-07-1600_56_14.thumb.png.90922312db9f9b32f8007d166ea16cf9.png

Parma is now 8th as Italy's biggest club, aided by the Coppa Italia triumph. Hopefully the stadium will sold-out more because of this.

1964600858_Screenshot2019-07-1601_15_27.thumb.png.56d6fbe4dd4b39dadbe5e2e228cec5fb.png

Lots to sell, with only Ramos, Senesi, and Dao in my future plans at this time.

825785200_Screenshot2019-07-1601_16_08.thumb.png.1d7f217fd79986355d8988b6a9661c68.png

Good news, Ivonei will be finally be able to play next season!

675299131_Screenshot2019-07-1602_06_33.thumb.png.c7f7256f72a92ceabb41e93a451f97ec.png

One game to look forward to.. in China!

802450709_Screenshot2019-07-1602_07_22.thumb.png.1ed290dbcd8f879cd239830061529a73.png

Next update, will be the rest of our summer activities. Hopefully can get back into the swing of things after stopped playing for 2 weeks.

Edited by quee
Removed duplicate images

8 hours ago, Creativity said:

Cracking season there @quee Do Parma still have money issues like in the past?

As of 3rd July, it look like below. It says 'Rich' but I never seen the balance go that much higher than £20m+. My transfer budget is usually £15m - £20m+ since I started.

1849571483_Screenshot2019-07-1714_54_11.thumb.png.89827b8bfa0b4db49c1280c6ca211012.png

5 hours ago, quee said:

As of 3rd July, it look like below. It says 'Rich' but I never seen the balance go that much higher than £20m+. My transfer budget is usually £15m - £20m+ since I started.

1849571483_Screenshot2019-07-1714_54_11.thumb.png.89827b8bfa0b4db49c1280c6ca211012.png

Outside of the inflated world of the PL TV deal, I think £20m balance is very much 'rich'. Hell, they're worried that the new loan rules will just decimate the 3rd tier and below of Italian football because clubs can't actually afford to own their players at that level due to lack of funds. 

59 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Outside of the inflated world of the PL TV deal, I think £20m balance is very much 'rich'. Hell, they're worried that the new loan rules will just decimate the 3rd tier and below of Italian football because clubs can't actually afford to own their players at that level due to lack of funds. 

What's the new loan rules?

21 minutes ago, quee said:

What's the new loan rules?

I don't know if they actually happened yet, or if they're coming in from next year but FIFA/UEFA (can't remember which one) was really wanting to clamp down on the number of players a club could loan out - I think the most often mentioned limit was 7 - which obviously would hurt Italian clubs and Chelsea the most.

1 hour ago, zlatanera said:

I don't know if they actually happened yet, or if they're coming in from next year but FIFA/UEFA (can't remember which one) was really wanting to clamp down on the number of players a club could loan out - I think the most often mentioned limit was 7 - which obviously would hurt Italian clubs and Chelsea the most.

Another chance for Italian clubs to create new loopholes then :onmehead:

6 hours ago, zlatanera said:

I have heard that too, apparently it will be in place for next season. I think it will be great to see them being clamped down, as Chelsea tends to loan out 20+ players.

Edited by john1

8 hours ago, quee said:

Another chance for Italian clubs to create new loopholes then :onmehead:

They’ll probably bring back co-ownership in order to prevent the whole thing collapsing into only Serie A and Serie B.

4 hours ago, john1 said:

I have heard that too, apparently it will be in place for next season. I think it will be great to see them being clamped down, as Chelsea tends to loan out 20+ players.

Is that when? Yeah, one thing I like about Man Utd being a bit backwards is we don’t do that.

I think it’ll further inflate transfer fees, as you see less of big clubs signing a guy off 15 good performances “just in case he’s good”, so if a big club does go in for someone the selling club knows they really want them and will ring every penny out of it, especially as loan-back deals become less common so an immediate replacement will be more of an issue.