The Italian Job! Italian league thread is here!

calcal

So after having a quick dig, it doesn't seem like there is a thread (if there is then please delete this) for anyone playing in the Italian leagues this year, so...

This can be it! Sadly I won't be doing a full write up of teams etc because

1. I have just finished nightshift and I can't bear it.
2. Because I don't want too, I would rather just see who everyone has picked :)

I decided on Napoli, What are my plans I hear you all screaming, well I plan on making Napoli the best team in the world, I want it all.

Along the way I will be after the Italy job and manage both together.

Why Napoli? The place itself looks amazing, The last time they won a European cup was in 89' the year I was born so it's written in the stars!

Enough of me rambling on, I hope we can get a nice busy thread going and help each other out along the way!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Managing Inter Milan found first season fairly easy won Serie A by couple points from Lazio, Juventus had a shocking start in the end they finished 3rd. Knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages entered the Europa League and beat Chelsea in the final. 

As far as signings go, Bought Frenkie De Jong and then in the January window i picked up Benjamin Pavard has a release clause 31.5 Million.

Normally i play a 4 3 2 1 but for this years FM i'm playing a 3 5 2. Need to have Icardi and Martinez in the starting 11 both top class in the game.

First signing in the 2nd season was Gedson Fernandes 45m rising to 55m he's been class so far.

19 minutes ago, Luis Suarez 7 said:

Managing Inter Milan found first season fairly easy won Serie A by couple points from Lazio, Juventus had a shocking start in the end they finished 3rd. Knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages entered the Europa League and beat Chelsea in the final. 

As far as signings go, Bought Frenkie De Jong and then in the January window i picked up Benjamin Pavard has a release clause 31.5 Million.

Normally i play a 4 3 2 1 but for this years FM i'm playing a 3 5 2. Need to have Icardi and Martinez in the starting 11 both top class in the game.

First signing in the 2nd season was Gedson Fernandes 45m rising to 55m he's been class so far.

Some decent signings there mate! How is De Jong getting on?

Napoli lack Italians so I am going down that route for now, Not much needed in the squad atm!

Well done on the Serie A title! :applause:

7 minutes ago, calcal said:

Some decent signings there mate! How is De Jong getting on?

Napoli lack Italians so I am going down that route for now, Not much needed in the squad atm!

Well done on the Serie A title! :applause:

De Jong first season played  36 goals 6 AVR  7.22.  I'm planing on adding more Italians but the lack of funds don't help. The 55m on Fernandes took out my budget but i have my scouts tracking Tonali  now Brescia are back in Serie A.

Wanted to bring in Jorginho but Chelsea wanted 70m. How are you getting on with Napoli?

I've gone Roma. Only real signing so far was Willian Jose from Real Sociedad for £15m as I'm not convinced I'll get the best out Dzeko with my style of play. Schick is someone I'm unsure about too.

Really excited by the wide options though. Kluivert, El Shaaraway and Under. Class.

I'm a big Inter fan so will most likely do a save with them again. They bought very well in the summer not much is needed to challenge,

I ran away with Serie A in my first season with them last year ifirc didn't concede a goal until just before Christmas and won the league well into double figures.

Anyone playing with Parma?

I got relegated first season but since i was above the relegation zone for so long (dropped below on the last match day) I got the keep the job. So now I've rebuilt the squad and halfway through Serie B I'm top of the league.

Ivan Sunjic, Croatian player from Dinamo best signing so far. 600k €uro and did well already in Serie A. before the drop. 

Have you got any tips if I restart with Parma later how I should do to avoid relegation first season :)

Took over 19th placed Atalanta in January 1st season. Wanted to join someone in the relegation zone in one of the big 5 leagues. Original squad, didn't make any transfers, just a couple that the AI made in winter window (Acuna from Sporting CP in on loan with option to buy, Castagne out). At the March international break now, in 13th position going 6W-1D-2L in the league since I took over. Lost 5-4 on agg to Napoli in the semis of the Coppa Italia and lost 2-1 on agg to Lazio in the Europa 2nd KO round. Little disappointed with that but was against good opposition and can now focus on climbing the league table. 

Will properly re-assess the squad at season's end but looking to sell 31yos Gomez and Ilicic to fund some transfers. Lots of decent players on loan that will return. Will probably only sign Italian players on the transfer list/without contract + players from Serie B to keep myself from signing the same names.

17 hours ago, SammyRai said:

Sampdooooooorrrrrrria - Nice Kit - Has my name in the name - An awesome team in the 90s when Italian Football was the bomb. 

The main struggle will be transitioning a team with almost no width into a 4-4-2

Good choice mate! Loved the Channel 4 days of the 90s! James Richardson sitting at a nice cafe in between the highlights! haha

Going for 4-4 f*cking 2??

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've gone Roma. Only real signing so far was Willian Jose from Real Sociedad for £15m as I'm not convinced I'll get the best out Dzeko with my style of play. Schick is someone I'm unsure about too.

Really excited by the wide options though. Kluivert, El Shaaraway and Under. Class.

I was tempted with Roma myself! Looking forward to seeing how Kluivert turns out as well, Keep me updated on that one :brock:

16 hours ago, lblanc said:

I'm a big Inter fan so will most likely do a save with them again. They bought very well in the summer not much is needed to challenge,

I ran away with Serie A in my first season with them last year ifirc didn't concede a goal until just before Christmas and won the league well into double figures.

They're sitting 10th after 7 games so far on my save, they need saving!

8 hours ago, patrikholm said:

Anyone playing with Parma?

I got relegated first season but since i was above the relegation zone for so long (dropped below on the last match day) I got the keep the job. So now I've rebuilt the squad and halfway through Serie B I'm top of the league.

Ivan Sunjic, Croatian player from Dinamo best signing so far. 600k €uro and did well already in Serie A. before the drop. 

Have you got any tips if I restart with Parma later how I should do to avoid relegation first season :)

Rough one with the relegation! At least you stuck at it and its paying off :applause:My tip would be NOT to restart and carry on the rebuilding job! :cool:

7 hours ago, Evanescent said:

Took over 19th placed Atalanta in January 1st season. Wanted to join someone in the relegation zone in one of the big 5 leagues. Original squad, didn't make any transfers, just a couple that the AI made in winter window (Acuna from Sporting CP in on loan with option to buy, Castagne out). At the March international break now, in 13th position going 6W-1D-2L in the league since I took over. Lost 5-4 on agg to Napoli in the semis of the Coppa Italia and lost 2-1 on agg to Lazio in the Europa 2nd KO round. Little disappointed with that but was against good opposition and can now focus on climbing the league table. 

Will properly re-assess the squad at season's end but looking to sell 31yos Gomez and Ilicic to fund some transfers. Lots of decent players on loan that will return. Will probably only sign Italian players on the transfer list/without contract + players from Serie B to keep myself from signing the same names.

Good choice! They look good on mine thus far! Played 7 won 4 drew 3 sitting 4th with a game in hand, they are dangerous!

Good to see some early responses and people choosing Italy for their destinations :cool:

image.thumb.png.7265cc9c2e31b0c9d40d6fd184c2307d.png

That's how I am looking so far! About to play Juve with a in form Ronaldo! But result of the season so far....

image.thumb.png.f298d7e142ea3d45d98c9192caff3dc4.png

Scoreline was being kind, Stones did a "Gerrard" and handed it on a plate to Milik for the 2nd, Buzzing and all sweeter being A red IRL :lol:

2 hours ago, calcal said:

Good choice mate! Loved the Channel 4 days of the 90s! James Richardson sitting at a nice cafe in between the highlights! haha

Still remember watching that in the days!! Wish they bring it back :( 

Going to be firing up FM shortly, unsure to go with Sampdoria, Udinese or Torino. Any advices? @calcal

5 minutes ago, john1 said:

Still remember watching that in the days!! Wish they bring it back :( 

Going to be firing up FM shortly, unsure to go with Sampdoria, Udinese or Torino. Any advices? @calcal

Torino made it to my shortlist of 3! I think they look like a neat little project, Turin is yours! :brock:

291716183_F.C.Internazionale_PlayersPlayers-6.thumb.png.8cdd5b75ce85f552e69e929a5e3053f9.png

End of the second season with Inter. I started second season all over again from mid-June a couple of times because this is my first save and that's the easiest point for me to figure out how to make a proper tactic.
Won the treble in second season, but still not happy. 27-10-1 in the league, 70-20GD.
Defense is stalwart, but literally every game against very defensive teams was a struggle. Scrappy wins everywhere.
On the other hand, had some great games in CL. Two wins against Bayern in the group, knocked out Atletico, Arsenal, Liverpool (penalties, both  QF and SF) and City in the final.

Finances are not an issue and it's too easy from now on, will probably try and figure out how to score at least 90 goals in the league and then switch onto a more challenging save, as per usual.
Icardi with only 14 goals in the league, tried everything. He absolutely does nothing against very defensive teams. It's not him, it's just how the game works. Martinez is also useless in those situations.1597495041_F.C.Internazionale_Overview.thumb.png.e55002aa4be085a1efc72a059be0f65b.png

Played with DM and 2CMs in the latter stages of CL. Not much difference, though.

Currently doing a Napoli save atm, so far enjoying as I'm 1st in the league table, but I've only been able to play Mertens 4 times as he's had 2 major injuries and I'm currently in December. As soon as he came back he from World Cup he was out for 6 weeks then his first game back against PSG in the UCL he gets injured again for 3-4 months, so I'm probably gonna sell him since he's getting on in age anyway

Started with Milan, struggling a little bit. Think it's because I set my manager as Sunday league footballer and no badges (as I always have done), the players just don't trust me. 7th after 17 games.

Signed de Ligt, Vagnoman and Tonali (loaned back to Brescia for the season).

I'm just starting a career with Fiorentina. We have some great young talents on this team like Chiesa, Simeone, Lafont, Milenkovic, Vlahovic, Gerson (on loan from Roma). I'm going to play a 4-2-3-1 Wide and 4-1-4-1 (as alternative) using Gegenpress. It's my first go at FM19 so am curious how good this style is. I'm hoping to bring in Nicola Barella to strengthen the midfield and De Ligt for defense.

21 hours ago, Harryseaess said:

Started with Milan, struggling a little bit. Think it's because I set my manager as Sunday league footballer and no badges (as I always have done), the players just don't trust me. 7th after 17 games.

Signed de Ligt, Vagnoman and Tonali (loaned back to Brescia for the season).

Sold Bonaventura to Shanggang for £67m (:eek:) in January, as well as getting rid of Laxalt, Strinic, Reina and Bertolacci for okay fees. So managed to bring in Belotti, Gonzalo Martinez and van de Beek, as well as Paqueta who is obviously hard coded to join.

Pretty happy with my team now, play a 4-2-3-1 gegenpress style, squad currently:

Donnarumma/Plizzari

Conti/Vagnoman, Romagnoli/Musacchio, Caldara/de Ligt, Rodriguez/Calabria

Biglia/van de Beek, Kessie/Bakayoko

Suso/Castillejo, Calhanoglu/Halilovic Martinez/Paqueta

Belotti/Higuain/Cutrone

Still 7th after 24 games.

So I managed to get to the end of my first season, And what an eventful one it was!
image.thumb.png.80a78a787db6396e0854ed4cfdf5f3c0.png

Business end of the season ruined me, Europa League final lost to Leipzig hurt real bad!!

Had problems with my players all season, 1 by 1 they all wanted to leave. So the squad is ever changing, Ended up finishing 4th but Champions League group stage was my reward so it wasn't all bad.

image.thumb.png.ecaf41a5712c46272fccce6127214f03.png

Second season transfers, add to that Cutrone and Frenkie De Jong who joined in the winter. 

So far in the second season I have drew 3 won 1!  Finding Italy tougher this year but for the better! :cool:

Edited by calcal

On 10/11/2018 at 13:54, GunmaN1905 said:

291716183_F.C.Internazionale_PlayersPlayers-6.thumb.png.8cdd5b75ce85f552e69e929a5e3053f9.png

End of the second season with Inter. I started second season all over again from mid-June a couple of times because this is my first save and that's the easiest point for me to figure out how to make a proper tactic.
Won the treble in second season, but still not happy. 27-10-1 in the league, 70-20GD.
Defense is stalwart, but literally every game against very defensive teams was a struggle. Scrappy wins everywhere.
On the other hand, had some great games in CL. Two wins against Bayern in the group, knocked out Atletico, Arsenal, Liverpool (penalties, both  QF and SF) and City in the final.

Finances are not an issue and it's too easy from now on, will probably try and figure out how to score at least 90 goals in the league and then switch onto a more challenging save, as per usual.
Icardi with only 14 goals in the league, tried everything. He absolutely does nothing against very defensive teams. It's not him, it's just how the game works. Martinez is also useless in those situations.1597495041_F.C.Internazionale_Overview.thumb.png.e55002aa4be085a1efc72a059be0f65b.png

Played with DM and 2CMs in the latter stages of CL. Not much difference, though.

Keep them trophies coming gaffer!! :brock:

11 ore fa, Harryseaess ha scritto:

Sold Bonaventura to Shanggang for £67m (:eek:) in January, as well as getting rid of Laxalt, Strinic, Reina and Bertolacci for okay fees. So managed to bring in Belotti, Gonzalo Martinez and van de Beek, as well as Paqueta who is obviously hard coded to join.

Pretty happy with my team now, play a 4-2-3-1 gegenpress style, squad currently:

Donnarumma/Plizzari

Conti/Vagnoman, Romagnoli/Musacchio, Caldara/de Ligt, Rodriguez/Calabria

Biglia/van de Beek, Kessie/Bakayoko

Suso/Castillejo, Calhanoglu/Halilovic Martinez/Paqueta

Belotti/Higuain/Cutrone

Still 7th after 24 games.

Do you plan to buy Higuain? He looks really good even this year

not kicked off the season as yet but just about too...

plan to spend big on youth and reap the rewards later, hindering me short term in the next 2 windows.

have managed to sell and get rid of alot of dead wood its no wonder AC are were they are these days with the wages theyre paying to certain players...got rid of:  

Abate, zapata, montolivo, antonio donnarumma, bertolacci,mauri,bonaventura and chelsea came in and twisted my hand so sold them suso...

And managed to sign:

milenkovic(fiorentina), de jong, lozano, pavon, xadas, kean, isak, and belotti.

have also managed to tie up a few future transfers in:

arp, vagnoman, marin, lincoln, tonali, de ligt (didnt want to pay 100k a week i had to offer to beat off interest from arsenal right away) plan to free up 500k a werk end of season by losing higuain, bakayoko and reina.

i plan to break even transfer wise by january or next summer by selling off rodriguez (managed to get 40ish mil in a trial save) and calhanoglu...

12 hours ago, john1 said:

Pretty good money to get for Bonaventura!

I didn't even offer him out, they just came in with a £40m bid and I managed to push them to £67m, £45m upfront and £22m over 3 years.

7 hours ago, ParanoidBuddha said:

Do you plan to buy Higuain? He looks really good even this year

I was considering it, but he hasn't really performed for me. Plus, he's getting on and I don't really like having players in my team over 29.

With Belotti, Cutrone and Andre Silva (if Sevilla don't buy him) I think I should have enough fire power without him. If Sevilla do take Andre Silva then I may consider signing him, but will probably look for a younger option.

Edited by Harryseaess

3 hours ago, killonix said:

not kicked off the season as yet but just about too...

plan to spend big on youth and reap the rewards later, hindering me short term in the next 2 windows.

have managed to sell and get rid of alot of dead wood its no wonder AC are were they are these days with the wages theyre paying to certain players...got rid of:  

Abate, zapata, montolivo, antonio donnarumma, bertolacci,mauri,bonaventura and chelsea came in and twisted my hand so sold them suso...

And managed to sign:

milenkovic(fiorentina), de jong, lozano, pavon, xadas, kean, isak, and belotti.

have also managed to tie up a few future transfers in:

arp, vagnoman, marin, lincoln, tonali, de ligt (didnt want to pay 100k a week i had to offer to beat off interest from arsenal right away) plan to free up 500k a werk end of season by losing higuain, bakayoko and reina.

i plan to break even transfer wise by january or next summer by selling off rodriguez (managed to get 40ish mil in a trial save) and calhanoglu...

Why would you sell Rodriguez? Pretty sure you won't get a better LB than him.

1 hour ago, Harryseaess said:

Why would you sell Rodriguez? Pretty sure you won't get a better LB than him.

tbf ive never found him to be the most consistent and he just doesnt suit how i like to set up...

i dont actively seek to sell him but when the big clubs come for him and at 40 something million im quite happy for him to go...

impressed with your bonaventura business feels like ive almost give him away when you compare to the 67 mil you took...ha

how does suso perform?

1 hour ago, killonix said:

tbf ive never found him to be the most consistent and he just doesnt suit how i like to set up...

i dont actively seek to sell him but when the big clubs come for him and at 40 something million im quite happy for him to go...

impressed with your bonaventura business feels like ive almost give him away when you compare to the 67 mil you took...ha

how does suso perform?

I had some bids for Rodriguez in Janaury but only for around £15m.

Suso started the season well, then all the players decided they hated me and he stopped performing. Coming to the end of the season now and he's finally picking up form again. I've had £50m bids for him for Chelsea but keep turning them down, want to keep him for another season at least and see how he does.

19 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

Suso started the season well, then all the players decided they hated me and he stopped performing. Coming to the end of the season now and he's finally picking up form again. I've had £50m bids for him for Chelsea but keep turning them down, want to keep him for another season at least and see how he does.

:lol:  Why did your players decide to hate you?

4 hours ago, Harryseaess said:
18 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

fair one...

i had intended to keep him and see how he did, but when i managed to get chelsea to cough up 66 million with 40 upfront i caved...

needed the cash to free up youth signings as i found on fm18 with milan that finances are tight and restricted going forward and i had to build a team from player sales mostly.

how has van de beek been? (he was a fav of mine from last years) opted for de jong this year...and also castillejo performed?

u managed to break into the top 4?

31 minutes ago, lblanc said:

:lol:  Why did your players decide to hate you?

Because my rep is Sunday League Footballer and no badges. Started okay but then had a few bad results and was sat around 10th for a bit, before going up to 7th. Almost got sacked but managed to pull it back.

28 minutes ago, killonix said:

I'd probably take £66m for Suso tbf, will see what happens in the summer.

van de Beek has only played a handful of games but has been pretty solid. I had to choose between him and de Jong in Janaury, van de Beek was £15m cheaper so I went for him.

I'm currently sat 4th with 7 league games left, it's pretty tight and I could finish anywhere from 2nd to 8th, so we'll see.

On 09/11/2018 at 22:12, RandomGuy. said:

438257352_DanielBegg_Inbox-3.thumb.png.ae9b210eb39c5279d53c6a07f3c4a12d.png

Nice and easy CL group..

Just managed to qualify from this. Two wins over Club Brugge. 

Beat Liverpool at Anfield, beige being thumped at home after going down to 9 men. Had lost away to Bayern with a 97th minute goal, so it came down to a face off between me and Bayern in Rome.

My man Willian Jose scored a belter early on and we twice countered them as they pushed forward late on. 3-0 my best result so far.

19 games in and we're 7th on 33pts, only 2pts off 4th placed Lazio. Juve top and clear by five points of Napoli.

Successfully robbed Arsenal of £40m for Dzeko, he's scored one goal all season and is firmly behind Willian Jose as my lone striker. Signed Maxi Gomez from Celta Vigo to replace him, £21m once all the clauses are totalled up.

I'll stick some screenies up of the league and my two striker signings.

League Table

Spoiler

259800808_SerieA_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.4e24ce9a6b6474562e373d5fca0fd45c.png

Willian Jose

Spoiler

71758517_WillianJos_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.bac7e1b4ed55f7f4311186fcfc563843.png

Maxi Gomez

Spoiler

589416430_MaximilianoGmez_OverviewProfile.thumb.png.9ee4fe921b0c649f9eeac5bab293782a.png

Edited by RandomGuy.

On 10/11/2018 at 11:10, Evanescent said:

Finished 1st season in 8th place. 13W-3D-3L, 42pts after I took over. Would have been good for 2nd in the second half of season league table (but still 8pts worse than Juve). Aiming for CL football 2nd season.

Lots of transfers out, including 1st teamers Hateboer, Ilicic, Freuler, Toloi, Palomino, Berisha, Pessina, Masiello, Reca while Rigoni and Adnan returned to their parent clubs. Took the option to make Pasalic's loan permanent, signed Sturaro + Cataldi from the transfer list, signed Morosini, Bogdan, Ibrahimi from Serie B clubs and Krunic from relegated Empoli. Didn't replace all my outs with transfers as Atalanta has a bunch of talented players returning from loan that can be used. Petagna, Melegoni, Vido, Mattiello, Sportiello, Carraro, Djimsiti all part of squad for 2nd season.

Will do lots of rotating and injuries/suspensions always happen but I think best XI is:

M.Sportiello 
S.Sturaro	M.Varnier	G.Mancini	R.Gosens 
		D.Cataldi	M.De Roon
A.Gomez 					M.Acuna
			L.Vido
			M.Barrow

On 12/11/2018 at 03:33, calcal said:

So I managed to get to the end of my first season, And what an eventful one it was!
image.thumb.png.80a78a787db6396e0854ed4cfdf5f3c0.png

Business end of the season ruined me, Europa League final lost to Leipzig hurt real bad!!

Had problems with my players all season, 1 by 1 they all wanted to leave. So the squad is ever changing, Ended up finishing 4th but Champions League group stage was my reward so it wasn't all bad.

image.thumb.png.ecaf41a5712c46272fccce6127214f03.png

Second season transfers, add to that Cutrone and Frenkie De Jong who joined in the winter. 

So far in the second season I have drew 3 won 1!  Finding Italy tougher this year but for the better! :cool:

You surely could have got more for Allan

3 hours ago, Kaylan said:

You surely could have got more for Allan

Yes! I was turning down much larger bids, then he became unhappy and the bids got lower and lower and nobody would go ANY higher so had a "f**k it" moment and got rid :lol:

Edited by calcal

38 minutes ago, dothestrand said:

I like to tie my hands a bit and only sign domestic players. What's the best club to be able to achieve this by the end of the following Summer?

I am doing a variation of this at Atalanta and I can recommend them as a suitable club. When the loan players return, you'll have a bunch of Italian players that are worthy of being in the 1st team squad. Before you even need to purchase Italian players, you have Sportiello and Gollini for keepers, Mancini/Varnier/Bettella/Mattiello/Masiello in defence, Melegoni/Valzania/Carraro/Pessina in midfield and Petagna/Vido/Tumminello/Capone in attack. If you want to go all Italian, you can sell the non-Italian players for some nice values too. Received between £11.25m and £25m each for Hateboer, Ilicic, Freuler, Toloi, Palomino and Berisha while guys I didn't sell like De Roon/Gomez/Barrow/Gosens could all fetch great fees too. In addition, superb training and youth facilities so can develop from within. Got a 'golden generation' for my first batch of newgens; one of them is being fast-tracked as my backup RB for season 2.

Having a quick look at Serie A, you can do it with the majority of Serie A clubs to be honest. Even outside of Juve/Inter/Napoli/Milan/Roma/Lazio, you could build around Belotti/Zaza at Torino, Chiesa at Fiorentina, Berardi/Politano at Sassuolo or Barella/Romagna at Cagliari.

15 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

I am doing a variation of this at Atalanta and I can recommend them as a suitable club. When the loan players return, you'll have a bunch of Italian players that are worthy of being in the 1st team squad. Before you even need to purchase Italian players, you have Sportiello and Gollini for keepers, Mancini/Varnier/Bettella/Mattiello/Masiello in defence, Melegoni/Valzania/Carraro/Pessina in midfield and Petagna/Vido/Tumminello/Capone in attack. If you want to go all Italian, you can sell the non-Italian players for some nice values too. Received between £11.25m and £25m each for Hateboer, Ilicic, Freuler, Toloi, Palomino and Berisha while guys I didn't sell like De Roon/Gomez/Barrow/Gosens could all fetch great fees too. In addition, superb training and youth facilities so can develop from within. Got a 'golden generation' for my first batch of newgens; one of them is being fast-tracked as my backup RB for season 2.

Having a quick look at Serie A, you can do it with the majority of Serie A clubs to be honest. Even outside of Juve/Inter/Napoli/Milan/Roma/Lazio, you could build around Belotti/Zaza at Torino, Chiesa at Fiorentina, Berardi/Politano at Sassuolo or Barella/Romagna at Cagliari.

Thanks. I could try to get my hands dirty with Palermo in Serie B ;)

But great suggestions. I might see who has the best youth set up and the money to sign Tonali :) I know Petagna tends to have low finishing stats but he always goes to a top club for loads in FM18. I guess it depends how you use him. I usually feel Serie A is quite open in FM and that whilst Juventus are streets ahead, you can build someone up into the CL spots. I was able to do it with Palermo in FM18.  

So ive started the season 7 games in and 1 europa league played...

drew 1-1 with inter first game in a game i should have won...ended up down to 10 men for last 15 mins due to a late injury to my right back.

2nd game away to udinese snatched a last minute winner to win 2-1 

i then went onto beat roma 1-0 before getting a hiding from fiorentina 3-0...

a home 0-0 draw followed with frosinone before i went away to empoli and won and and away to fc vidi in the europa league for a 0-5 victory...back to the league i had genoa at home and got a 4-2 win...

my strikers just dont seem to be delivering no matter how many chances im creating for them hopefully its just a purple patch as as things stand my centre back romagnoli is top scorer...

of my new signings pavon in particular has been very impressive...lozano too.

milenkovic has also impressed filling in at right back for the injured calabria... ive not used much of de jong yet but in the flashes ive introduced him hes performed...its just kessie box to box has been a beast..

belotti has been a big disappointment hoping that changes and it will need to with a home game at ajax in the europa next and then an away tie at juve, who along with inter and napoli have started very strongly...

7 games in im 5th behind those 3 and surprisingly cagliari

1 hour ago, Evanescent said:

Roma has a decent starting point too. Pellegrini and Crisante in the middle of the park, then another Pellegrini at left back. El Shaaraway still only 26 too.

Sell Manolas and Dzeko and you can raise ~£80m to rebuild.

1 hour ago, killonix said:

my strikers just dont seem to be delivering no matter how many chances im creating for them hopefully its just a purple patch as as things stand my centre back romagnoli is top scorer...

League playstyle + tihs ME makes it extremely difficult to play against any lower table team.

I've literally tried everything and there's no chance I break down any catenaccio easily.
Roles, formations, instructions, nothing works.

All you can hope for are set-piece and long shot goals.

2 hours ago, Evanescent said:

Varnier

He looks class. Wanted to bring him to Inter at the start of third season, but Atalanta won't go under 150mil. :D

That's also ridiculous. For example Fiorentina wanted 100mil for Chiesa throughout the first season, obviously noone wanted to pay that much and then he requests a transfer and is listed for 28mil.

Edited by GunmaN1905

46 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

League playstyle + tihs ME makes it extremely difficult to play against any lower table team.

I've literally tried everything and there's no chance I break down any catenaccio easily.
Roles, formations, instructions, nothing works.

All you can hope for are set-piece and long shot goals.

yeah im finding most goals are coming from corners...its always the same goal...

every time my striker is 1 on 1 its going wide.

1 hour ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He looks class. Wanted to bring him to Inter at the start of third season, but Atalanta won't go under 150mil. :D

That's also ridiculous. For example Fiorentina wanted 100mil for Chiesa throughout the first season, obviously noone wanted to pay that much and then he requests a transfer and is listed for 28mil.

Yeah Varnier has got potential but I didn't develop him enough 1st season. Took over in January in 19th so wanted to play best team and climb table. Atalanta has so many good CBs (Mancini, Toloi, Palomino, Masiello) that his only game time came when I had to give Hateboer a rest at RB. 2nd season sold Toloi, Palomino and Masiello so path is much clearer. Signed Luka Bogdan from Livorno and Djimsiti is back from loan...decent squad players but players that Varnier should overtake easily with game time. Really giving him the best chance possible to make it. Dunno how Davide Bettella looks in your game but my coaches think he has more potential than Varnier.