Sports Interactive Community

I would like to start for the first time a LLM save. I've been playing FM for about 6 years, I'm nowhere close to some of you that are playing for 10+ years. I always start to play with teams that are playing in second division in Spain or England, but this time I'd like to play on the bottom level in a low reputation European country or in the Vanarama North/South. How do you guys set up such a game? Do you add from the start all nations and leagues or do you add them as you pass through the years? I usually select a large database with 90-100k players in my normal saves (my laptop is old and if I add more than 100k I see a red text that says I passed the recommended limit). Do you guys have any advice? I would prefer not to 'fry' another HDD.

Edited by Vali184

(Loving the Avatar!)

While I never got into the whole LlAMA challenge, I do play journeyman from the lower leagues.

I usually set up with at least five European countries (the big 5) plus a couple of South American ones, and go down to level 2 or 3 with a medium database.

I can't tell you how many players that will produce, or database size, or computer performance I'm afraid, but my laptop is also four or five years old and it seems to manage.

Adding nations/leagues as you go might a good option though.

i always start as Worcester in my first save each year and i always load all british leagues, the top leagues and their lower leagues, also the top flight of some nations like croatia, Island, and the nordic nations, as for america i add all of the argetinian and brazilean pyramid available and some more nation that i feel like adding from around the world (chances are, you can get good players from those nations after you reach 3rd-4th tier)

i use small database so i can see 100M transfer more often and make things more difficult in terms of finding players

Snorks suggestion is good too, adding on the go, you won't really need players out of UK until you reach 4th tier, that could take 2 seasons and as far as 6 depending on tactics, players signed, players poached from you and some luck, in the end it doesn't hurt that much to add another league to a 80K database don't you think?

I don't believe there are any particular rules/guidelines as to what leagues or how many players you want to load. A real LLaMa would have access to a whole world of players, so I can't believe having a database of 400k players to be unfair. What limits you as a LLaMa is that you should use your scouts to find players, not the player search or real life knowledge. Therefore, whether you have a database of 400k or 10k should really effect you if you can only scout England.

I like to think of the world of LLaMaing to be pretty open, but for the main rules that prohibit tools that don't exist in the real world. It's your save and you should do what you feel comfortable with, as long as should you ever feel the need to congratulate yourself publicly as a good LLaMa you mention you started with coaching badges, for example. 

There is a LLaMa website - http://lowerleaguemanager.com/ - it has a list of guidelines that you might find interesting.

For me, playing as a LLaMa is about challenging myself and making my game as realistic as possible. I follow the main rules, such as not using the player search to find players (using my scouts) and not using other's tactics. I try to avoid save scumming, but you can't avoid crashes sometimes. I will allow myself some leeway though. I feel I would know some information on players of clubs I support and clubs in the area local to my team. As the guidelines at the above site says "As always, let your conscience be your guide".

Good luck should you decide to go through with this idea. It is satisfying to play this game as realistically as possible, but at the end of the day it's about having fun.

Thanks for the info. I never use player search anyway, all the players I scout/buy/loan are from the recommendations from the scouting centre. As for the tactics, I don't see the point of downloading others' tactics. I will give that website a read and will decide after that what will I do. Cheers!

There used to be a LLM forum on this board but by all accounts the numbers using it dwindled. I don't think the website I linked is all that busy now either. The whole LLM ethos pretty much merged in to the whole feel of just being an FMer. I always liked to see FM talk without the boasting and the big money signings though. :)

It depends on what you've got and what you want to do.

In previous years I've used DanBHTFC's 22-level English file, starting at level 24 in a one-club career. No need to load up any other leagues and the file runs quite slowly on my 3-year old laptop.

This time I'm going for a lower league journeyman career so I'll load up what available on Sunday - prob English to level 10, a Scottish and Welsh lower league file, and I'd like to add Norn Ireland and Gibraltar if available.

A global journeyman career with tons of lower leagues would require a powerful rig and probably a lot of patience.

After playing for years and years, I don't really get much fun out of going straight to the top.

I love starting at the lowest possible English league and try to build my profile up. If that means the same club, then so be it, but I only make moves I would realistically make.

I don't give myself any badges, and I am always "realistic" with my attributes. I used to be half decent up front so I use my points on attacking and fitness coaching, whilst I use the Motivator template too.

My set-up is generally all major nations to lowest level, and medium database. I am on a fairly new i7 msi so I still get 4*, but previous laptops have struggled.

Personally, I don't think there is anything better than a cup run in the lower leagues and doubling your club finances after a couple of games. I was Boston last year and got promoted up to the championship, but it was an away 3rd round tie at Utd (when I was in Vanarama National) which kept the finances afloat to do that!! Luck of the draw...

1 hour ago, phnompenhandy said:

It depends on what you've got and what you want to do.

In previous years I've used DanBHTFC's 22-level English file, starting at level 24 in a one-club career. No need to load up any other leagues and the file runs quite slowly on my 3-year old laptop.

This time I'm going for a lower league journeyman career so I'll load up what available on Sunday - prob English to level 10, a Scottish and Welsh lower league file, and I'd like to add Norn Ireland and Gibraltar if available.

A global journeyman career with tons of lower leagues would require a powerful rig and probably a lot of patience.

Thank you for the tips, but I think the 6th level will have to do for now :D. Now all I have to do is find a club with a nice crest and an interesting background. I'll start on Wikipedia.

If you guys have any recommendations of teams from National League North/South you can write them here. I'm not from England and I don't know many things about other teams out of the BIG 6. I almost always started saves with Nottingham Forest, mainly because they won the CL in the past, but in time I've become a fan, staying up to date with club news.

39 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

If you guys have any recommendations of teams from National League North/South you can write them here.

In the North, the recent reason for the existence of FC United (in Manchester, formed by fans disgusted with Manchester. United getting too greedy).

In the South, the recent struggles of Dulwich Hamlet to merely survive is very moving.

52 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

In the North, the recent reason for the existence of FC United (in Manchester, formed by fans disgusted with Manchester. United getting too greedy).

In the South, the recent struggles of Dulwich Hamlet to merely survive is very moving.

Thanks. I read all about FC United of Manchester yesterday on wikipedia and I really liked the story. I think I'll start with them. It's going to be interesting to see how will a club owned by fans run its business.