Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

I really want to press the issue on player match ratings. I found it to be a big problem in FMM17 and FMM18, so I've been keeping a close eye on this during my first FMM19 career.

So far I have witnessed:

  • My goalkeeper saves a penalty + plus four shots on target and only receives a match ratings of 7. He was instrumental in making sure we didn't lose the match. He deserves more credit.
  • (in the same match), my four defenders achieve a 94% successful tackle rate and, along with my keeper, help secure a 0-0 away from home. This was a particularly tough game as one of my players received a red card in the first half which meant I had to change my tactics to an ultra defensive tactic (he received a match rating of 6 and was sent off in 28th minute - he should receive a rating of 4 or lower). Despite relying heavily on my defensive players to successfully carry out this tactic, not one defensive player received a rating of over 7. They deserved more credit.
  • I have had a number of players receive red cards yet the finish the match with a rating of 7 and above. Do red cards have an impact on the players match rating?
  • My defender, who was on a match rating of 7, made a costly mistake in the 90th minute which resulted in the only goal of the game. It left no time for my team to equalise and we duly lost 1-0. He somehow kept his 7 match rating. He was solely to blame for the defeat. He should receive a 4 or less.
  • My team is hammered 4-0 by fellow league opposition yet two of my defenders receive a match rating of 7, and one has an unreal rating of 8. Only one defender has a match rating of 6 (and that was still too high in my opinion). My BWM also received a match rating of 7, and my striker, whose only contribution in the game was 11 completed passes out of 16, received a rating of 7. He had zero shots in the game.

And this doesn't include any questionable match ratings for the opposition.

I just don't understand how players can be awarded high match ratings in heavy defeats and receive average ratings in good results.

There also seems to be a bias towards strikers and not enough credit is given to keepers, defenders and defensive midfielders.

As mentioned before, red cards seem to have no impact on the ratings and neither do individual mistakes.

Edited by Lillywhite Dean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A PKM is the saved match. You can save a specific match using the down arrow at the end of a match which is found in the bottom left hand side of the screen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sebastian Szlenkier said:

A PKM is the saved match. You can save a specific match using the down arrow at the end of a match which is found in the bottom left hand side of the screen. 

Is it possible to retrospectively download the matches? If not, I don't have examples.

I will however, start downloading matches when odd ratings are awarded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't download old matches, it has to be done straight after the match has concluded. Provided you are playing using the Enhanced Match Engine, there will always be the option to save the match using the button in the bottom left hand corner which will become active as soon as a match concludes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first match played since posting my last message in this thread.

Norwich 3 - 1 Ipswich

  • 49% possession
  • 62% passes completed
  • 26% crosses completed
  • 81% tackles won
  • 2 shots on target
  • Seven of my players receive ratings of 7 and above. My defender, Luke Chambers scores an own goal and has a yellow card and is awarded a rating of 7.

This isn't the most extreme example of odd match ratings but it does provide an example of how big defeats don't translate into accurate match ratings.

Norwich v Ipswich.pkm

Edited by Lillywhite Dean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

This is the first match played since posting my last message in this thread.

Norwich 3 - 1 Ipswich

  • 49% possession
  • 62% passes completed
  • 26% crosses completed
  • 81% tackles won
  • 2 shots on target
  • Seven of my players receive ratings of 7 and above. My defender, Luke Chambers scores an own goal and has a yellow card and is awarded a rating of 7.

This isn't the most extreme example of odd match ratings but it does provide an example of how big defeats don't translate into accurate match ratings.

Norwich v Ipswich.pkm

The attached PKM featured a 3-2 win to Ipswich against Norwich, with Luke Chambers picking up a rating of 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot_20181108-133040.thumb.png.778d05ce497f5c1e66c25eea437fdb10.pngScreenshot_20181108-130302.thumb.png.bdac56bfca6baf68082a4b3c12b9bf2d.pngScreenshot_20181108-130256.thumb.png.f1fddfface1b173a759fcd5e57e511e4.png

Well that is very bizarre because the match finished 3-1 as you can see in the above screenshots.

Edited by Lillywhite Dean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to get the PKM for this one but here's a screenshot.

Screenshot_20181110-130106.thumb.png.b5949a983d896a021685531092cd0669.png

Absolutely humiliated 5-0 yet only three defenders have a rating of below 6. If you lose 5-0, I'd expect to see ratings of 1, 2, 3 and 4s.

What does it take for a player to receive a rating of 4 and below?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another example of a red card having zero effect on a players match rating.

Nathan Cameron sent off on 49th minute.Screenshot_20181112-214526.thumb.png.e5ffd09550ec6a8a4b3fa223e0656312.png

Being reduced to 10 men has had a negative impact on the match outcome. I was leading 1-0 before the red card, conceded a goal soon after the red card and then lost the match 2-1.

Yet Cameron has a rating of 7/10. How is this possible? His red card cost me the match.

Screenshot_20181112-214521.thumb.png.5fccd12789913016c478ea297bbf880a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the way I see it, Nathan received a 7 because that was his performance up until the red card. Getting a red card, doesn't automatically drop your performance imho.

And ratings are individual, not team based as far as I know. So if a striker misses the target 10 times, it doesn't mean the whole team decreases in rating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MikaelS said:

Getting a red card, doesn't automatically drop your performance imho.

It bloody should though! He’s been sent off, his rating should reflect that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is a serious issue. And this issue has been attracting my attention for a long time.

I've never have seen a goalkeeper's rating 9-10.

Lets made-up an example:

A match going, e.g. Man City vs Leicester. Leicester GK is Kasper Schmeichel. Man City dominating the game, and won 2-0. But shots on target is 24. 14/24 of positions are key ones. Kasper got a great game and at least made 10 great saves.

What would be the rating of Kasper? 6? 7?

No.

It should be at least 8-9. 

 

Secondly, I've never seen a match saved by the goalkeeper. This happens at least 4-5 times in Premier League or Turkish Super Lig. There are some great goalkeepers who came-up and save the game, or least hold the score of the at a level.

GK with high abilities are less prone to make mistakes. Its logical but GK with high abilities need to save games also.

I consider these two issues quite valuable for lovely my game. Please consider these logical bugs.

Cheers.

Edited by mipodrall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MikaelS said:

Well, the way I see it, Nathan received a 7 because that was his performance up until the red card. Getting a red card, doesn't automatically drop your performance imho.

I completely disagree. Nathan's reckless sending off cost me the match. It doesn't matter how well he was playing up until the sending off. A red card places the team at a serious disadvantage and gives the opposition the upper hand. 

A red card is the most serious and negligent thing a player can do to his team. Of course his ratings should be affected by it. His rating of a 7 should drop by 3+ points as a result of weakening the team AND because the red card occurred in the first half.

10 hours ago, MikaelS said:

And ratings are individual, not team based as far as I know. So if a striker misses the target 10 times, it doesn't mean the whole team decreases in rating.

Yes I completely agree and understand this. I think you misunderstand me though. In my striker example, I described how his only contribution to the game was to have 11 completed passes out of 16 and ZERO shots in the game. Given that his primary role is to score, a rating of 7/10 is incredibly flattering. As he contributed little to the task of scoring, he should have received a lower individual rating of say 5.

What Red cards seem to do with a player's match rating in FMM is simply stop the calculation at the point of their game ending. This is wrong. Red cards are issued when a serious offence has been committed. The match rating should reflect this level of seriousness (hence why you can punish players for getting sent off).

Edited by Lillywhite Dean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with OP. Just had a match and my CB just had 7 after making 12 interceptions. Won 100% of tackles made and head duals. Only missed 3 passes. 

Screenshot_20181113-134110.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

I completely disagree. Nathan's reckless sending off cost me the match. It doesn't matter how well he was playing up until the sending off. A red card places the team at a serious disadvantage and gives the opposition the upper hand. 

A red card is the most serious and negligent thing a player can do to his team. Of course his ratings should be affected by it. His rating of a 7 should drop by 3+ points as a result of weakening the team AND because the red card occurred in the first half.

Yes I completely agree and understand this. I think you misunderstand me though. In my striker example, I described how his only contribution to the game was to have 11 completed passes out of 16 and ZERO shots in the game. Given that his primary role is to score, a rating of 7/10 is incredibly flattering. As he contributed little to the task of scoring, he should have received a lower individual rating of say 5.

What Red cards seem to do with a player's match rating in FMM is simply stop the calculation at the point of their game ending. This is wrong. Red cards are issued when a serious offence has been committed. The match rating should reflect this level of seriousness (hence why you can punish players for getting sent off).

Ah you misunderstand me. I was talking about how I think FMM works. The rating displayed is up until the red card and the red card doesn't affect that. I also believe it should somehow.

However, I still don't agree on your positional rating issue. A striker can make 3 assists, but since he didn't score his rating will be 5 or lower? I still believe some tweaking can be done though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NickThomas said:

It bloody should though! He’s been sent off, his rating should reflect that

See my answer to Lillywhite Dean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MikaelS said:

However, I still don't agree on your positional rating issue. A striker can make 3 assists, but since he didn't score his rating will be 5 or lower? I still believe some tweaking can be done though. 

If a striker made three assists then yes, he should get a good match rating. However, my striker made no assists and had zero shots on goal. So my question to SI is what did to deserve a 7/10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

If a striker made three assists then yes, he should get a good match rating. However, my striker made no assists and had zero shots on goal. So my question to SI is what did to deserve a 7/10?

I wonder if position placement matters? I mean, if they play out of preferred role?

As with @zaangie's screenshot and a good performance from a CB and only getting a 7. Could it be he is playing a role he isn't comfortable with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just lost a match to 18th place Bury. 

Screenshot_20181114-205713.thumb.png.e702e28c162441144ba15732f3d0861e.png

They absolutely battered me. They went 3-0 up and all the match highlights was of them tearing me to pieces.

I managed to pull a goal back late on in the game but by then it was too late to get anything from the match.

I look at my player ratings and struggle to understand how so many of them have achieved such impressive ratings when I lost so heavily. The final three players were on 6/10 heading into the final 10 minutes of the match but they somehow ended up with a rating of 8/10.

I look at the individual player stats and I'm still confused as to how my players were awarded such high scores for such a heavy defeat.

Screenshot_20181114-205805.thumb.png.b651d528d74e0aec38ef906004e8c50a.png

It doesn't make sense.

Edited by Lillywhite Dean

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Totally agree with this post, especially in the case of goalkeepers. GK are clearly underrated in all versions of FM (FM, FMT and FMM)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Loren1983 said:

Totally agree with this post, especially in the case of goalkeepers. GK are clearly underrated in all versions of FM (FM, FMT and FMM)

Just won a Carabao Cup match by penalty shootout. My keeper saved 2 penalties but only gets 7/10.

There is a definitely a bug with player ratings.

Screenshot_20181115-210149.thumb.png.6d68ac764693dafa3ec6ef0a199fd88a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just how?

LA Galaxy hammered 6-1 yet the average player rating is 7/10.

Screenshot_20190404-080557.thumb.png.3335eb9ff2fd52dd96519062ea56ca07.png

And the match stats... Galaxy out played in every department.

Screenshot_20190404-080615.thumb.png.60fa8e6928ddbeb6b87e8cff87ab9717.png

We should be seeing ratings of 4 and below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lillywhite Dean said:

Just how?

LA Galaxy hammered 6-1 yet the average player rating is 7/10.

Screenshot_20190404-080557.thumb.png.3335eb9ff2fd52dd96519062ea56ca07.png

And the match stats... Galaxy out played in every department.

Screenshot_20190404-080615.thumb.png.60fa8e6928ddbeb6b87e8cff87ab9717.png

We should be seeing ratings of 4 and below.

Can you just bring up the Overview page to display the goalscorers and times they scored? Thank you :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sebastian Szlenkier said:

Can you just bring up the Overview page to display the goalscorers and times they scored? Thank you :) 

Here you are.

Screenshot_20190404-161650.thumb.png.c73ac07ed6be27c90c6f0a8f9f726df7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...