Sports Interactive Community
kingjericho

[FM19] The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner

ukr.png Dynamo Kyiv - Premyer-Liha - 2036/37

League - until the split we were toe and toe with Obolon, but then we carved a massive lead and clinched the title with 4 games left.

Superkubok Ukraini - my first official match in Ukraine could not have been better.

Kubok Ukraini - Zorya were my bogey team this season, and completely nullified our goal threats during the entire 120 minutes, pushing us to the shootout and being a bit more efficient.

Champions League - when I saw the draw for the Group Stage I started thinking about a possible Europa League challenge, but we did better than that and finished ahead of Juventus. Unfortunately a disastrous first leg in Madrid ended whatever hopes we had left.

Squad - there is a limit of 7 non-Ukrainian players for domestic competitions so that limits my approach massively, forcing me to keep some players that I would ideally like to replace.

Transfers - I didn't hesitate in selling foreigners for a good profit, but I also signed some non-Ukrainians to maximise the ability of our 'magnificent seven'.

Finances - the wage budget is quite heavy, which resulted in barely any profit after a year, just balanced by the CL income.

Career overview

Season      Club                   Country       League                             Position     Landmarks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018        Slonim                 Belarus       Pieršaja Liha                      14th
2019        Slonim                 Belarus       Pieršaja Liha                      4th
2020        Slonim                 Belarus       Pieršaja Liha                      1st          Promoted
2021        Slonim                 Belarus       Vysshaya Liga                      7th
2022        Slonim                 Belarus       Vysshaya Liga                      4th
2023        Slonim                 Belarus       Vysshaya Liga                      5th
2024        Slonim                 Belarus       Vysshaya Liga                      3rd
2025        Slonim                 Belarus       Vysshaya Liga                      6th
2025/26     Maribor                Slovenia      1. SNL                             3rd
2026/27     Maribor                Slovenia      1. SNL                             1st          Cup winners
2027/28     Legia                  Poland        LOTTO Ekstraklasa                  3rd
2028/29     Legia                  Poland        LOTTO Ekstraklasa                  1st
2029/30     Trnava                 Slovakia      Fortuna Liga                       1st          Cup winners
2030/31     Rijeka                 Croatia       1. HNL                             2nd
2031/32     Rijeka                 Croatia       1. HNL                             1st          Cup winners
2032/33     Ludogorets             Bulgaria      Pŭrva liga                         1st          Cup and Europa League winners
2033/34     Ludogorets             Bulgaria      Pŭrva liga                         1st          Cup and Supercup winners
2034/35     Vojvodina              Serbia        SuperLiga Srbije                   1st
2035/36     Vojvodina              Serbia        SuperLiga Srbije                   1st
2036/37     Dynamo Kyiv            Ukraine       Premyer-Liha                       1st          Supercup winners

Next season

I didn't particularly enjoy Ukraine so far - the board's expectations are set to the maximum which decreases the importance of the achievements, they have some philosophies which I don't usually agree with (I did because I wanted to manage in Ukraine and it was the only job available at the time), I hate the '7 foreigners' rule as it limits my scouting a lot, and the calendar was not ideal, with a long winter break and the last league matches coinciding with international call-ups, which can be decisive in a tight title race. So... I'm yet to see what lies ahead for the immediate future.

Capture.thumb.PNG.db92ea07fc5d95c581f9a21c09afcc08.PNG

475.png.23ad99954541a0cbe848b43a610fc20b.png

cze.png Slovan Liberec

League - a very unremarkable performance so far, I want to finish at least 6th to play the Championship Group.

Club - the club has been steadily on the top half, with a 3rd place here and there, but with the last trophy being the Cup in 2025.

Squad - not a bad group at all, I have decent options for every position.

Finances - European football is badly needed if I don't want to be forced to sell my best players for income.

cze.png Slovan Liberec - FORTUNA:liga - 2037/38

League - we managed to finish 6th before the split, and then guaranteed 5th place and an Europa League spot

MOL Cup - eliminated before I took charge.

Squad - the squad is slim (although I prefer it over huge squads with many players moaning for more minutes) and some players are below what I think is required, but there is a solid base for growth.

Transfers - I extended an important loan and sold two surplus players for an acceptable amount.

Finances - we lost almost €3m in 6 months, so the situation is delicate. I hope we can have a decent European run next season to balance the books a bit.

Career overview

Season      Club                   Country           League                             Position     Landmarks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018        Slonim                 Belarus           Pieršaja Liha                      14th
2019        Slonim                 Belarus           Pieršaja Liha                      4th
2020        Slonim                 Belarus           Pieršaja Liha                      1st          Promoted
2021        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      7th
2022        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      4th
2023        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      5th
2024        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      3rd
2025        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      6th
2025/26     Maribor                Slovenia          1. SNL                             3rd
2026/27     Maribor                Slovenia          1. SNL                             1st          Cup winners
2027/28     Legia                  Poland            LOTTO Ekstraklasa                  3rd
2028/29     Legia                  Poland            LOTTO Ekstraklasa                  1st
2029/30     Trnava                 Slovakia          Fortuna Liga                       1st          Cup winners
2030/31     Rijeka                 Croatia           1. HNL                             2nd
2031/32     Rijeka                 Croatia           1. HNL                             1st          Cup winners
2032/33     Ludogorets             Bulgaria          Pŭrva liga                         1st          Cup and Europa League winners
2033/34     Ludogorets             Bulgaria          Pŭrva liga                         1st          Cup and Supercup winners
2034/35     Vojvodina              Serbia            SuperLiga Srbije                   1st
2035/36     Vojvodina              Serbia            SuperLiga Srbije                   1st
2036/37     Dynamo Kyiv            Ukraine           Premyer-Liha                       1st          Supercup winners
2037/38     Slovan Liberec         Czech Republic    FORTUNA:liga                       5th

Next season

Until we have a more healthy financial situation, I will have to focus a lot on cheap transfers and free agents to improve the squad. I think that with a full pre-season we can play better and have the routines more established, which will hopefully get us at least in the top 6 again.

323888714_UEFAEuropaLeague_OverviewStages.thumb.png.65e1b031976783ba61f550c316501820.png

This will probably be the end of the road for us, but it's a great to see us among names like these.

cze.png Slovan Liberec - FORTUNA:liga - 2038/39

League - in a dramatic outcome, Sparta Praha spectacularly bottled their 7-point margin in the Championship Group, with 2 draws and 3 losses in the 5 matches. We pulled our best cards and secured the long-awaited league title, missing since 2011/12. Even with only the 7th best defense, our attack was proven effective and our goal tally guaranteed some decisive wins.

MOL Cup - even though Mladá Boleslav are a decent side, this was somewhat disappointing as my most realistic hopes of a trophy this season was the Cup.

Europa League - an amazing performance, with hard draws in the qualifiers, a tough group with Sevilla and Ajax, and a cold-blooded approach to the Knockout rounds until Arsenal proved way too good for us to handle.

Squad - this squad is far from perfect - certainly some steps below the Prague clubs, but I was able to gather a group that fit my tactic almost perfectly.

Transfers - a financial effort was made for a very promising winger, in the hopes of getting the money back by a good European run.

Finances - all the work in the EL resumed in about €7m... better than nothing I guess, but this is proof that only the Champions League can be a real boost to a club.

Career overview

Season      Club                   Country           League                             Position     Landmarks
2018        Slonim                 Belarus           Pieršaja Liha                      14th
2019        Slonim                 Belarus           Pieršaja Liha                      4th
2020        Slonim                 Belarus           Pieršaja Liha                      1st          Promoted
2021        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      7th
2022        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      4th
2023        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      5th
2024        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      3rd
2025        Slonim                 Belarus           Vysshaya Liga                      6th
2025/26     Maribor                Slovenia          1. SNL                             3rd
2026/27     Maribor                Slovenia          1. SNL                             1st          Cup winners
2027/28     Legia                  Poland            LOTTO Ekstraklasa                  3rd
2028/29     Legia                  Poland            LOTTO Ekstraklasa                  1st
2029/30     Trnava                 Slovakia          Fortuna Liga                       1st          Cup winners
2030/31     Rijeka                 Croatia           1. HNL                             2nd
2031/32     Rijeka                 Croatia           1. HNL                             1st          Cup winners
2032/33     Ludogorets             Bulgaria          Pŭrva liga                         1st          Cup and Europa League winners
2033/34     Ludogorets             Bulgaria          Pŭrva liga                         1st          Cup and Supercup winners
2034/35     Vojvodina              Serbia            SuperLiga Srbije                   1st
2035/36     Vojvodina              Serbia            SuperLiga Srbije                   1st
2036/37     Dynamo Kyiv            Ukraine           Premyer-Liha                       1st          Supercup winners
2037/38     Slovan Liberec         Czech Republic    FORTUNA:liga                       5th
2038/39     Slovan Liberec         Czech Republic    FORTUNA:liga                       1st

Next season

I had already renewed my contract, in the hope of winning silverware next season but an incredible turn of events lead us to the league title this season. With this achievement, I can now move on to the last loaded nation and finally settle on a long-term project at what I expect to be my last club.

Untitled.thumb.png.45af205b81e67f61b22e6e51d01d0c77.png

1052.png.c0e04c0a3b27d6e7d0807953ae552a21.png

hun.png Debrecen

League - the club's goal is to get back to the top tier as soon as possible, and while that is not out of contention this season, the previous manager was clearly not meeting expectations.

Club - the club was big in the early 2000's, and what convinced me was their training and youth facilities which are as good as any other Hungarian club.

Squad - the comparison screen indicates the team's overall quality is above the average, but far from the best in the league so there is a lot of work to do.

Finances - probably the best I could find in a second tier club.

1816705355_kingjericho_Inbox.thumb.png.6e4bccbb4145a2b839d3088a19965f31.png

I decided to Újpest's offer. After all, how could I refuse €4 spread over twelve months?!

hun.png Debrecen - Merkantil Bank NB II - 2039/40

League - although we started with a home loss, we quickly closed the gap to the top three teams, and a total record of 14-3-2 was enough to complete the turnaround and finish as champions.

Magyar Kupa - out before I took over.

Squad - the NBII had some requirements on U-20 and U-21 players so I promoted some changes to have more of these players as valid options.

Transfers - I only signed one player, a young winger who fit in the age requirements and has lots of potential. I sold lots of second choices, though.

Finances - I'm happy to end a season in a second tier with a balance like this.

Career overview

2038/39     Slovan Liberec         Czech Republic    FORTUNA:liga                       1st
2039/40     Debrecen               Hungary           Merkantil Bank NB II               1st          Promoted

Next season

The top tier only has 12 teams so we'll need to be well prepared to avoid the last two spots, even though I'm confident that with a handful of good signings we can think about finishing higher.

hun.png Debrecen - OTP Bank Liga NB I - 2040/41

League - with a team below the league average, we spent all season in European places, and despite our poor defensive record (7th), our attack (1st) guaranteed many wins, decisive to keep 2nd place and access to the Champions League. Ferencváros won the league for the 14th consecutive season but they were not as dominant as this record may suggest.

Magyar Kupa - tough draws against Vidi (in which I thought we were out after the first leg) and Ferencváros (a shame we couldn't capitalize on our advantage).

Squad - although we don't have many top players, we have good options for every position and that was enough for our domestic calendar. Next season this short squad possibly will need an extra 2-3 men if we get to European group stage, either CL or EL.

Transfers - I needed to strengthen some key positions, but in doing this I also exceeded the limit of 10 non-Hungarian players, which forced me to readjust a bit, for example by loaning out a newly arrived Ukrainian (ended up being a financially good deal).

Finances - we lost around €300k per month but the final league prize of €3m made up for it. Also, the remaining balance allowed me to request improvements to all our facilities.

Career overview

2039/40     Debrecen               Hungary           Merkantil Bank NB II               1st          Promoted
2040/41     Debrecen               Hungary           OTP Bank Liga NB I                 2nd

Next season

Qualification for the CL group stage will be the first objective; domestically, I want to challenge for the title just like we did this season, and also aim for the Cup.

3 hours ago, ucdark said:

Are you going back to Belarus to win the liga?

I thought about that, but for the moment I don't think so. If I would, it would always be with Slonim (to come full circle), but I'm not a fan of the league schedule. I love the summer transfer market and not having that, plus starting the season with possible EL/CL knockout rounds is not something I want to do for a long time.