Training player roles

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but how does training roles work now? Is it like training a new position where you select the role in individual training and play the player in that role consistently and he gets better at it over time? And how do duties factor into it?

Say I have a player who's a natural DL and his natural role is Wing Back Support, if I were to train him as Complete Wing Back (support) and keep playing him as such, would his half full kind of yellow circle grow over time to become almost full green or totally full bright green? And would he automatically be able to do it in attack duty as well or do I have to separately train for that?

Thank you.

I think your on the right track, well that's how I figure, but I'm in January and my players haven't changed at all in their new positions, same familiarity and colour... except Lanzini who was injured till Xmas, he's played about 5 games in a F9 role and trained in the position, he's gone up slightly in color. I've got loads of inside forwards all training as wingers on Midfield right or left, played there for 8 months and haven't changed one little bit!

3 hours ago, ahmed.sg said:

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but how does training roles work now? Is it like training a new position where you select the role in individual training and play the player in that role consistently and he gets better at it over time? And how do duties factor into it?

Say I have a player who's a natural DL and his natural role is Wing Back Support, if I were to train him as Complete Wing Back (support) and keep playing him as such, would his half full kind of yellow circle grow over time to become almost full green or totally full bright green? And would he automatically be able to do it in attack duty as well or do I have to separately train for that?

Thank you.

Th role training should be considered as training a specific group of attributes required for the role rather than training to perform that role. Wihtout being able to chaeck, your DL, who is a Natural Wing Back if trained as a CWB will train all the attributes needed for a CWB - which would include those for WB with those two roles.

Whether he can perform as well in Support or Attack, depends on the attribute spread across the ones needed for those particular duties. You might add an attribute focus to help.Check the required attributes and find a role that covers them. 

BUT: If you think he can play CWB, regardless of what the little green/orange/yellow circle says, he can play CWB if he has the attributes. If he doesn't, you can train them.

I rarely pay attention to the circle.  Attributes and PPM's are all I really care about.  Kinda wish they would get rid of the circle entirely and just have highlighted attributes really...

But to answer your question, training in a role is focusing on a group of attributes, per @Snorks, you can "achieve" the same results with having positional training and then selecting specific individual training foci as well, just takes longer to get well rounded.  Combining Role Training with Individual Focus will accelerate those portions of development.

^ These guys are quite correct. Do realise, however, that Complete Wingback uses more attributes than the other roles, so more attributes means it takes longer for any to rise. Increasing training foci increases the risk of fatigue and injuries, so you need to be careful. Combined with FM19 slowing up player development compared to before, and you'll need to be very patient to wait to see green arrows for those attributes. But as said above, you should really focus on whether he's actually playing well on the pitch and not worry too much about attribute changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived