Sports Interactive Community
Chef Raekwon

FM19: Ajax Amsterdam - Time to reap what has been sown

Knocked out of the CL by an ex-Feyenoord player's 86th minute header...

182606078_Screenshot2019-01-18at00_49_56.png.21080ca1cb7fa6c881149a0ffd1e4a61.png

622678203_Screenshot2019-01-18at00_50_14.thumb.png.7956e3b29b6aa9505dc7e6cdc40b6361.png

I'll leave this here for posterity. I have a current transfer fund of 110M, I have all the space to decline. Transfer deadline is over 1 month away, good chance they'll come back with an even higher bid.

De Ligt - bid.png

@Chef Raekwon You mention declining all those bids, and its annoying, why not just go int othe transfer options page and click decline ALL offers? I usually do that for players I don't want to loan out and they never stop bidding. It auto-rejects.

1 hour ago, Chef Raekwon said:

I'll leave this here for posterity. I have a current transfer fund of 110M, I have all the space to decline. Transfer deadline is over 1 month away, good chance they'll come back with an even higher bid.

De Ligt - bid.png

It surprises me that players like de Ligt and de Jong aren't revolting when you keep refusing these bids.

41 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

It surprises me that players like de Ligt and de Jong aren't revolting when you keep refusing these bids.

De Ligt and De Jong keep asking what's up at least twice every transfer period, but after I tell them the atmosphere in the group is too good they always understand. However, so many other players are up in arms when I'm refusing bids, but many often come around later. Right now, I have 5 unhappy players in my squad, 3 are starting 11 players. I'll just play them regardless and renew their contracts with 5 + 3 whenever possible!

45 minutes ago, steakfaced said:

@Chef Raekwon You mention declining all those bids, and its annoying, why not just go int othe transfer options page and click decline ALL offers? I usually do that for players I don't want to loan out and they never stop bidding. It auto-rejects.

Didn't think about it, thanks!

3 hours ago, steakfaced said:

Will they still send offers? Will players become unhappy? There will be any info about auto-rejected offer?

14 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

Will they still send offers? Will players become unhappy? There will be any info about auto-rejected offer?

Try it! I usually do it to auto-decline loan offers (I'm obsessed with making my players HG at the club) but you can have it decline offers below a certain amount, etc. Play around with it, and yes it pops up as normal but shows the screen in your inbox as already declined. Its like if you put someone on the DOF Transfer list and they don't match the bid you've asked for-auto declined.

@KlaaZ

Apologies for the late reply, haven't played over the holidays and found HOI4 again so been spending time there. I'm just playing a standard 4-1-2-2-1, flipping the roles around here and there depending on opposition. Very aggressive pressing when not in possession. 

Anyway, finished season 22-23 by winning the league, cup and CL again.

On 17/01/2019 at 12:22, LukasZ_VCF said:

can you post the screen or download link?

Because I am still wondering what tactic can get team like that to winning CL again and again

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

Well, I thought my not sharing it would have been clear. :) I'm not fond of sharing tactics anyway as what works for me won't necessarily work for other people. 

Hahaha, I also have got Jong Ajax promoted to Eredivisie. Created a topic in Bug report.

But not sure what to do with this bug. Сause it discourages playing at all.

shWEhmtW6Jo.jpg

Its a very peculiar bug - it only allows them to get promoted via the play-offs. In my save (now abandoned) Jong Ajax won the league so 2nd place got their promotion spot, 3rd got the one for 2nd, and then the play-offs had such low-ranked teams that both Jong AZ and Jong PSV were in the mix. Luckily they both lost.

40 минут назад, zlatanera сказал:

it only allows them to get promoted via the play-offs.

Not exactly.

GsbQz2E6vgA.jpg.0f1e182b9dd5888f8ceb05756a6dfbc8.jpg

29 minutes ago, egor_mq said:

Not exactly.

GsbQz2E6vgA.jpg.0f1e182b9dd5888f8ceb05756a6dfbc8.jpg

Well that is strange. Oh wait, is it because they do quarters in that division? Perhaps my B team won it overall but were awful towards the end of the season where as yours were the strongest finishers.

Would it be possible to post your tactics here (maybe with link)

I'm looking for a tactic for my borussia dortmund team. I thought of a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-2-3-1. 

I already saw a 4-4-1-1 asymmetric tactic, but there wasn't a download link.

In previous games i always bought Dolberg, but now i want to try Isak and maybe bring Timo Werner or Fiete Arp in.

De Light is also Always my first signing! What a beast!

I'm also looking to bring maybe Frenkie De Jong to Dortmund. Do you think he would fit?

Thank you very much!

Edited by EvertD17

I wonder anyone is playing with Ajax or other team reserve team in 1st division ? How players are developing there? Because with that kind of settings it should be able to make 2 great squads ?

On 21/01/2019 at 13:48, egor_mq said:

Hahaha, I also have got Jong Ajax promoted to Eredivisie. Created a topic in Bug report.

shWEhmtW6Jo.jpg

My Jong Ajax team have won the league 3 seasons in a row but never been promoted.

13 minutes ago, lovenkrands01 said:

My Jong Ajax team have won the league 3 seasons in a row but never been promoted.

Its a very peculiar bug - it only allows them to get promoted via the play-offs.

On 21/01/2019 at 15:48, egor_mq said:

shWEhmtW6Jo.jpg

I dunno, I would be pretty happy about this bug, as all the young players can play on a higher level and improve better! 

Imagine both Ajax teams in the CL :D:D

2 minutes ago, Trent71 said:

I dunno, I would be pretty happy about this bug, as all the young players can play on a higher level and improve better! 

Imagine both Ajax teams in the CL :D:D

I asked that before but didn't get an answer:

I wonder anyone is playing with Ajax or other team reserve team in 1st division ? How players are developing there? Because with that kind of settings it should be able to make 2 great squads ?

If they would have same 5 stars coaches and play on the same level they should be able to reach full potential... I wonder if it would work like that :onmehead:

I think it will, yeah. Players have developed well anyway in the 2nd tier and whenever I've promoted (or sign a player from a lower league), I always find the higher level improves the player drastically, so there is no reason why it should be different for Jong Ajax.

16 hours ago, Trent71 said:

I think it will, yeah. Players have developed well anyway in the 2nd tier and whenever I've promoted (or sign a player from a lower league), I always find the higher level improves the player drastically, so there is no reason why it should be different for Jong Ajax.

Would be crazy if they got to play in the CL to *really* kick-start their development!

Sadly, my Jong Ajax team just always wins the league, so no chance of promotion!

In case anyone didn't realise, they fixed the Jong promotion bug! I'll therefore be cracking open another save :)

2nd Ajax save 1st season

Once I found out the B team promotion bug had been fixed, I decided I was going to go with my own imitation of how Ten Hag plays (according to a Tifo Football video, as there's not that much out there and I don't pay for any sports channels so the only Ajax play I've seen has been a highlight vid on the Eredivisie website of their 8-0 hammering of De Graafschap). 

It started off like this:

290370201_Screenshot2019-02-10at15_44_32.thumb.png.103aec64962757d4a020c5c447f883e4.png1684163036_Screenshot2019-02-10at15_44_56.thumb.png.2424f85ea680e411835b64f4036b10fb.png

With quite a few PIs (and personalised roles for pretty much every player who played AMR/L). In the 2nd half of the season it looked like this:

535281482_Screenshot2019-02-10at15_47_06.thumb.png.2bf9a91c6aaebddba68d0182bef32310.png

It's been a very weird season in terms of emotions (frustration vs elation) so I'll run down competitions from most to least frustrating:

2114090605_Screenshot2019-02-10at15_48_31.thumb.png.c8212f23886bcbd701b98ee8aefb2d0f.png

The Dutch Cup was a disaster - weakened teams having 27, 43, and 19 shots in each of the 3 rounds we played in, with a goal in the first minute of Extra Time sinking us away to Willem II. 

1403898392_Screenshot2019-02-10at15_50_19.thumb.png.efbd5c68e21434d865398c78daf50e6b.png

Similar to the Dutch Cup, we dominated Sturm Graz but could only score once in 120 minutes, then hammered Standard so I played a weakened team away (Gravenberch getting his debut). Benfica were just too good for us though: it could have been 5 or 6 in the first half at Estádio da Luz before I sorted us out, and in the home leg they scythed us open on the counter a few times, 1-1 being a fair result. Given I'd faced Standard then Benfica and prevailed in my previous save, things weren't looking great.

800190976_Screenshot2019-02-10at15_54_34.thumb.png.639ea844a327aa2714992a0b299e8fa3.png

I know I said I'd go from most->least frustrating, but I couldn't have EURO Cup before Champions League, could I? Weakened teams put us through the group in 1st, two points ahead of Atalanta setting up one of the more medium draws we could have had for the knockouts - missing the death sentence of Chelsea and Arsenal, but also not getting Molde or Malmö who would have presumably been easier. A very fair 2-1 victory for the Turks at home (Vagner Love and Pepe scoring for them, van de Beek for us) had me feeling reasonably confident going into the home leg as we had only failed to win 3 home games at this point, all of which were in Europe and only one playing a strong team (the Benfica loss). Gökhan Töre getting 2 yellows by 39 minutes turned out to be the worst thing that could have happened to us:

1242785580_Screenshot2019-02-10at15_59_42.thumb.png.2a5db30dc933e5f2b432729d20fc4ac2.png

Loris Karius got a 7.5: clearly, we needed our own Sergio Ramos to give him a bump to the head off one of those corners. Not having a shot is ridiculous though, its like it was Pep's Barcelona playing against an amateur team, not Ajax playing a team that has 4 Champions League winners' medals among their back line. This was the result that has left me with the most concerns over my tactic going into next season - I always back us to get an away goal against a bigger team in Europe, but if we can't break down the likes of Besiktas what are we going to do if we draw Manchester United and concede a goal? 

1647810913_Screenshot2019-02-10at16_04_48.thumb.png.a1578ca11b70f3537868640d9ca08b85.png

A really close title race - we were one Lasse Schöne missed penalty against PSV from going unbeaten completely - a 2-1 loss at home being the only game in which we didn't take maximum points at home. That game, followed by throwing away a 3-0 lead away at Willem II 2 games later, put Feyenoord 2 points ahead, despite us having beaten them 5-0 and 4-0. with 2 games left, they were still 1 point ahead, but Fortuna Sittard winning put us 1 point ahead going into the last game of the season...

176000100_finaldayEredivisiewin.thumb.png.ea8762a3e152180054b1ed5b8fec8311.png

When Utrecht took the lead on 52 minutes with their first shot, I feared the worst. When Feyenoord took the lead in their game 5 minutes later, putting them top, I was furious. A switch to Very Attacking with WBIB selected paid off though - first Huntelaar got 1 more league goal than last season to put us back on top on goal difference, and then at the very end Schöne scored his first header of the season to put us clear at the top and him at the top of the scorers! 

Yeah that's right, Lasse Schöne got the Eredivisie Top Goalscorer award, with 22 goals in 5 fewer games than Zwolle's Van Duinen. 10 Penalties, and I'd guess 7 free kicks, 4 shots from the edge of the penalty area and one header. With a further 9 assists and 9 PoM he was definitely our MVP. 9 of his goals came in our last 10 games too. 

Our other key contributors were Huntelaar (18G 3A), Ziyech (11G 4A), Dolberg (11G 4A) and Tadic (9G 10 A) - so although none of them hit numbers like what they've done this season under Ten Hag (I expect Huntelaar and Dolberg to beat those in real life), I imagine I could get them numbers up had I not decided to give Schöne all penalties to see how high I could get his numbers. 

As I previously mentioned, I'm still not sure about how to proceed tactically. Although we had proficient distance shooters (and I only expect to maybe lose Tadic of my key players) we took 17 penalties in the league, quite a few from pushes off other set pieces - in Europe where defenders have brains we took 2 in the CL qualifiers and none in Europa. I'd like to get better numbers from Donny van de Beek too - playing as an AM just seems to be a death sentence for a player, statistics-wise, if they're not a free kick / penalty taker. My current tactic takes far more tweaking than I like - normally I find something that works and my only changes are maybe to drop mentality in the 88th minute on a 1-0 lead or to go V. Attacking in the 80th on a 1-0 deficit, whereas in this one I was constantly having to increase / lower mentality and add/remove instructions. Still, I've tied down most of my key players to long contracts, which will certainly help!

Die Meister! Die Besten! Les grandes équipes! The champions!

The title is a spoiler...but let's start at the beginning.

1963465877_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_44_49.png.8a19b1fe8f0dfd6f2c5ebbe5314accba.png

Playing a 433 inspired by herne's Tiki-Taka thread, we started off with a comfortable win over AZ. Ryan Gravenberch getting his first goal for the club and Labyad finishing them off shortly after half time. 

993813406_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_45_17.thumb.png.4f8c5bf48f9cdb47c415010eba698545.png

Our reserve line-up bowed out of the cup even earlier this time...I'll have to win it at some point but I refuse to risk injuring my best players in this competition and weakening us for the ones that matter (league and Europe). 

2144744766_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_50_54.thumb.png.07ff23e199f879ca585d47810fefd0ee.png

De Graafschap were top at Christmas, but they couldn't sustain it. They did manage to beat us on the final day though - goal difference being all that separated the two of us. PSV also won the league on goal difference which was surprising. We did well against the top teams, but Groningen took 6 points off us, the second time using one of our own loan army (Dennis Johnsen) to do the damage, as we struggled against teams with low enough reputation to willingly sit back against us. 18 points less than last season is abysmal though, so I may have to us separate tactics for Eredivisie and Europe.

680119612_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_45_42.thumb.png.c1370f38b654f55cfbff6b6678e30c67.png

Two easy draws had us into the CL group stage at the second time of asking, but when we drew Arsenal, Milan and Shakhtar I feared the worst. Alas!

859111045_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_45_59.thumb.png.89e0e3327652d9a5f6322a78c333e6fd.png 848013371_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_46_50.thumb.png.71918a81f8fe698ffd09a93b2dd26448.png

3 wins away from home whilst not winning at the ArenA made us an oddity, but one that topped their group! The 94/95 Final rematches and a late winner from Ryan Gravenberch at the Emirates Stadium were the highlights. Our reward for winning the group? Bayern. Clearly, the UEFA gods were against us.

1973140265_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_46_28.thumb.png.c7de49b599429079f507c16992fcb56f.png

I needn't have worried about Bayern, Dolberg netted 3 goals over the two legs to set us up to play yet another multi-CL-winner in Liverpool. Own goals from Alisson and Douglas Costa got us the draw at Anfield, before Jordan Henderson's 7th minute sending off allowed us to pass it around aimlessly for 90 minutes at the ArenA. The semis were interesting, only one previous winner in them (us). After resting Dolberg for our final game of the league season (which we lost) he then got injured in training and missed the semi-final completely, but luckily Lincoln, a £10.25m January signing from Flamengo, scored 2 in the 3-0 home win, before a 2-3 in the 2nd leg that flattered Spurs sent us through to the final!

20244088_ChampionsLeagueFinal.thumb.png.e4fa7ca7740f9bdc9945df0f26bb4436.png

All season I'd been alternating between a Positive version of my 433 in the league and at home against weaker European teams, and a Cautious one in the knock-out rounds. I completely misjudged Leverkusen, playing the Cautious version for 79 minutes until Volland scored, as our unfit team (we hadn't played since the semi-final first leg as the league finished in April) were comprehensively outplayed. So I switched to Attacking and Gravenberch, on for Frenkie who had played a rare bad game, equalised almost immediately! We then went to Positive for extra time, and Gravenberch got another before Dolberg finished them off, sealing the club's 5th Champions League trophy!!

I really don't understand how Gravenberch doesn't have "relishes big matches" in his report - he's scored 5 goals for us: 1 in the Dutch Super Cup, 1 against Arsenal to win the game, and 2 in the Champions League final.

Huntelaar is retiring at the end of the season and joining the coaching staff, I'm hoping to entice some combination of Rafael van der Vaart, Wesley Sneijder, Lasse Schöne (once he retires), Patrick Kluivert, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Nigel de Jong to join him. 

13 hours ago, zlatanera said:

1963465877_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_44_49.png.8a19b1fe8f0dfd6f2c5ebbe5314accba.png

Playing a 433 inspired by herne's Tiki-Taka thread, we started off with a comfortable win over AZ. Ryan Gravenberch getting his first goal for the club and Labyad finishing them off shortly after half time. 

993813406_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_45_17.thumb.png.4f8c5bf48f9cdb47c415010eba698545.png

Our reserve line-up bowed out of the cup even earlier this time...I'll have to win it at some point but I refuse to risk injuring my best players in this competition and weakening us for the ones that matter (league and Europe). 

2144744766_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_50_54.thumb.png.07ff23e199f879ca585d47810fefd0ee.png

De Graafschap were top at Christmas, but they couldn't sustain it. They did manage to beat us on the final day though - goal difference being all that separated the two of us. PSV also won the league on goal difference which was surprising. We did well against the top teams, but Groningen took 6 points off us, the second time using one of our own loan army (Dennis Johnsen) to do the damage, as we struggled against teams with low enough reputation to willingly sit back against us. 18 points less than last season is abysmal though, so I may have to us separate tactics for Eredivisie and Europe.

680119612_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_45_42.thumb.png.c1370f38b654f55cfbff6b6678e30c67.png

Two easy draws had us into the CL group stage at the second time of asking, but when we drew Arsenal, Milan and Shakhtar I feared the worst. Alas!

859111045_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_45_59.thumb.png.89e0e3327652d9a5f6322a78c333e6fd.png 848013371_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_46_50.thumb.png.71918a81f8fe698ffd09a93b2dd26448.png

3 wins away from home whilst not winning at the ArenA made us an oddity, but one that topped their group! The 94/95 Final rematches and a late winner from Ryan Gravenberch at the Emirates Stadium were the highlights. Our reward for winning the group? Bayern. Clearly, the UEFA gods were against us.

1973140265_Screenshot2019-02-14at17_46_28.thumb.png.c7de49b599429079f507c16992fcb56f.png

I needn't have worried about Bayern, Dolberg netted 3 goals over the two legs to set us up to play yet another multi-CL-winner in Liverpool. Own goals from Alisson and Douglas Costa got us the draw at Anfield, before Jordan Henderson's 7th minute sending off allowed us to pass it around aimlessly for 90 minutes at the ArenA. The semis were interesting, only one previous winner in them (us). After resting Dolberg for our final game of the league season (which we lost) he then got injured in training and missed the semi-final completely, but luckily Lincoln, a £10.25m January signing from Flamengo, scored 2 in the 3-0 home win, before a 2-3 in the 2nd leg that flattered Spurs sent us through to the final!

All season I'd been alternating between a Positive version of my 433 in the league and at home against weaker European teams, and a Cautious one in the knock-out rounds. I completely misjudged Leverkusen, playing the Cautious version for 79 minutes until Volland scored, as our unfit team (we hadn't played since the semi-final first leg as the league finished in April) were comprehensively outplayed. So I switched to Attacking and Gravenberch, on for Frenkie who had played a rare bad game, equalised almost immediately! We then went to Positive for extra time, and Gravenberch got another before Dolberg finished them off, sealing the club's 5th Champions League trophy!!

I really don't understand how Gravenberch doesn't have "relishes big matches" in his report - he's scored 5 goals for us: 1 in the Dutch Super Cup, 1 against Arsenal to win the game, and 2 in the Champions League final.

Huntelaar is retiring at the end of the season and joining the coaching staff, I'm hoping to entice some combination of Rafael van der Vaart, Wesley Sneijder, Lasse Schöne (once he retires), Patrick Kluivert, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Nigel de Jong to join him. 

Love the idea of getting all the older players to join the backroom staff once they retire! I'm doing a similar thing with Litmanen, Davids and Oliseh atm - still in first season so will try for the others once they retire.

3 hours ago, Boss said:

Love the idea of getting all the older players to join the backroom staff once they retire! I'm doing a similar thing with Litmanen, Davids and Oliseh atm - still in first season so will try for the others once they retire.

Yeah I forgot about Davids, but Litmanen joined the B team staff in the first season and I got Bergkamp back as soo as possible. van der Sar looks impossible though, he got booted out of the boardroom in the takeover and has for over a year said “I’m looking to retire and need my contract to take that into account” which from previous experience means he’ll never be open to negotiations. 

Got Zlatan coming in to the B team staff when he retires, and brought back Stekelenbuurg. Van der Vaart wants to be HoYD and I’m inclined to give it to him - although he’s worse in every way than Said Ouaali HoYD only really affects “freak” newgens with personality, and they both have the same preferred formation. Plus the difference between Balanced 6 Det and Balanced 10 Det isn’t too bad. It’s a shame no retiring players seem to want to be fitness coaches though.

1.Do you need to register players to league games in 1st or 2nd division? Or they can play all of them in league and cup and only for CL you need to choose players and register them?

2.How many CUP's is there ? How many rounds like playing with Ajax for example and with much weaker opponents?

3. Have you managed to keep all the players in Ajax? I saw their contracts ends like in 2021/2022 so you can't sign new ones the way you like them to be like for 5 years +3 additional ,  and I wonder if you got an interest from bigger clubs are they willing to negotiate contract before the end of it ?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

How hard is it to keep De Jong and De Ligt this year? Last year it was easy with just a big paycheck for Ajax standards. 

2 minutes ago, Rooks said:

How hard is it to keep De Jong and De Ligt this year? Last year it was easy with just a big paycheck for Ajax standards. 

I rejected offers for them both, and told them in following conversation that they were just too important for the club right now. They bought that. 

8 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

1.Do you need to register players to league games in 1st or 2nd division? Or they can play all of them in league and cup and only for CL you need to choose players and register them?

2.How many CUP's is there ? How many rounds like playing with Ajax for example and with much weaker opponents?

3. Have you managed to keep all the players in Ajax? I saw their contracts ends like in 2021/2022 so you can't sign new ones the way you like them to be like for 5 years +3 additional ,  and I wonder if you got an interest from bigger clubs are they willing to negotiate contract before the end of it ?

You don’t have to register players domestically, and you get a 12-man bench which is good as you don’t have to choose between naming prospects or naming your best super-subs. 

Just the one cup. I think if you go all the way to the final there are six, perhaps seven rounds. 

I played without first window budgets so wasn’t able to offer any contracts until after January when I got more money. We’d received bids but I managed to talk players into staying and signing 4 or 5 year contracts plus 3 year extensions. You tend to have to offer at least £10k / week above what they initially ask though. 

8 hours ago, Rooks said:

As Gungner said:

8 hours ago, Gungner said:

I rejected offers for them both, and told them in following conversation that they were just too important for the club right now. They bought that. 

2020-21 Season: Domestic Double

After last season's success I saw no reason to change tactically, sticking to my two Tiki-Taka tactics - one Positive  (for 32/34 league games - just not away to Feyenoord or PSV)  and one Cautious for most Champions League games. 

After some fairly aggressive moves last season the only players moved out from the first team squad were Huntelaar, who retired and joined the 1st team coaching staff, and reserve GK Benjamin van Leer who asked to leave and was replaced by Jody February, a free signing from Ajax Cape Town. Rivaldo Coetzee, formerly of Ajax CT, was brought in from Sundowns for £650k and remained in the 1st team squad as I couldn't get any loan offers, but other than it was just u19 / B team players moving in and out, seeing us make £19.5m profit on transfers despite no drop-off in first team quality.

We did bring in a lot of backroom staff though, ex-players joining us were: Maarten Stekelenburg, Rafael van der Vaart, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Wesley Sneijder. I'm hoping Schöne will join when he retires too, and keep checking to see if van der Sar is going to make up his mind and either come back or retire. 

1741296155_Screenshot2019-02-20at00_16_24.thumb.png.496ad9e8c7a0cbc42687b40899e15193.png

Our first available trophy of the season was the Club World Cup, weirdly it simulates a round that doesn't have enough teams...anyway, our reserve line-up eventually got the job done in the semi-final, before we easily dominated Al-Hilal in the final. I was disappointed as I would have preferred to have played San Lorenzo rather than a team from that reprehensible nation, but it was good to win the trophy at the first time of asking (it having not existed when Ajax won the Champions League irl).

324614747_Screenshot2019-02-20at00_03_59.thumb.png.462ada3bcf2263542c4635a5b099850e.png

We finally ended our Dutch Cup woes, despite our toughest draws yet in the early rounds seeing us face only 1 amateur team. I played a stronger line-up against AZ but other than that this was a case of our reserves finally catching up with the first team in terms of quality and it showing through. 

1739037662_Screenshot2019-02-20at00_05_50.thumb.png.87f70f6bc93af8cdc954ecf763bd8399.png
1290104776_Screenshot2019-02-20at00_06_12.thumb.png.dd57f37a66fa9e1759d935d79c7e8443.png

A group with 25!!! European Cups between three of the teams looked quite daunting, but we qualified after game 4 and took our foot off the gas at the end, which allowed Milan to steal into 2nd place. That's twice we've been in their group too, and as they've finished 3rd in Serie A again this could become something of a continental derby.

1733578532_Screenshot2019-02-20at00_41_32.thumb.png.1fb36af0c93a3dcf1fd911b359f4ccb0.png

We got an even tougher 1st round draw than last season, my own favourite team (and thread) Manchester United. We much like Liverpool last season we grabbed an away goal in a first leg draw then managed not to concede at home setting us up with...Liverpool, again! We beat them 2-1 home and away making for individually tense games but overall a comfortable win. I was (perhaps mistakenly, given their result against Barcelona) hoping to draw Bayern for the next round but instead drew Chelsea. Playing at home in the first leg we could only draw 1-1, but when Frenkie de Jong volleyed in off a Ziyech free kick early in the 2nd I was hopeful. That was misplaced - first Chiesa shot from about 40 yards back on the right touchline, it bounced off the bar back out over Onana's head into the path of the onrushing Morata. Then another freak goal saw Onana completely sell out Pierie with a terrible pass which Morata intercepted, running through and finishing. He eventually got a hat-trick but 2-1 would have been a fair result. 

1657698689_Screenshot2019-02-20at00_56_56.thumb.png.d5761a91219e842ae4447bfa94d400b4.png

Finally, we won back the Eredivise again to complete the domestic double! 5 points less than 1st season, but given that year we were out of all cups by February and this year we made a deep CL run and won the Dutch Cup, it's understandable. We still aren't scoring the ridiculous numbers, but that's probably partially explained by our rep increase making teams even more defensive against us, and our loan army bolstering them (Zwolle's keeper, Wuilker Fariñez, is ours and got 16 clean sheets, and including our loanees Ajax players scored 93 league goals). 

Our defence was astounding, we went the first 7 games without conceding, and only conceded 1 goal at home all season. Despite that we still seem to be good for one weird backpass OG per season - after none in the first season, Schuurs lobbed Onana from half-way last season and forced him to head it into the path of an onrushing striker this season, and Victor Nelsson also managed to squeeze one past him from a wide angle outside the box. 

Going forward, I'm debating offloading a few first teasers - Dusan Tadic is starting to decline physically, and moving him back into midfield would block someone else's development, although he is useful for tutoring purposes and his £45k wages are nothing given we're mid-table Premier League rich now. Carel Eiting is developing well and performing better, but his personality is stuck at Balanced 10 Determination (although very highly professional) and unlikely to move. Schuurs too only has 6 Det, but he is otherwise a very intelligent player - we have quite a few young CMs and CBs that could potentially replace them though. I'm in three minds on Donny van de Beek, André Onana and David Neres too - all three are often unsettled, Onana does perform well but the other two are very mediocre yet still pop up with MOTM performances right when they're best needed. I could easily replace DvdB with a similar quality player (Gravenberch) but I only have Ekkelenkamp at CM who can finish. Neres is slightly better than any of my young wing options but there are a lot of them, with room to grow, including just permanently putting Lincoln out there as an option as we have a lot of young strikers. Onana would be the hardest to replace - none of our young GKs are of the requisite quality (or potential, with Daan Reizeger as an exception) and the only newgen good enough is at Chelsea - although they'll never play him I doubt they'll let him go for a reasonable fee, he's 18 years old, Argentine-English and already a better GK than Onana, but is more of a GK than SK. Still, good to have decisions to make!

Edited by zlatanera

16 hours ago, zlatanera said:

You don’t have to register players domestically, and you get a 12-man bench which is good as you don’t have to choose between naming prospects or naming your best super-subs. 

Just the one cup. I think if you go all the way to the final there are six, perhaps seven rounds. 

I played without first window budgets so wasn’t able to offer any contracts until after January when I got more money. We’d received bids but I managed to talk players into staying and signing 4 or 5 year contracts plus 3 year extensions. You tend to have to offer at least £10k / week above what they initially ask though. 

As Gungner said:

12-man bench without registering players that's nice :)

So there was no interest for your players (bids) from other clubs that changed they morale (wants to leave to bigger club etc) in 1st season ?

Can you buy players and for example set that they will join at the start of the new season ? or in January ? How it works?

What about coaches how many you can get max? Will I be able to get 4-5 stars coaches on every category ? And what about reserve team ?

Are players able to reach their full potential in that league ?

Is average form giving some advantage in CL? (I mean when you play and dominate the league you probably have better form etc better ratings)

All the players that are in U-19 team at start will be real players? or the game generate some at start too ?

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

2 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

12-man bench without registering players that's nice :)

So there was no interest for your players (bids) from other clubs that changed they morale (wants to leave to bigger club etc) in 1st season ?

Can you buy players and for example set that they will join at the start of the new season ? or in January ? How it works?

What about coaches how many you can get max? Will I be able to get 4-5 stars coaches on every category ? And what about reserve team ?

Are players able to reach their full potential in that league ?

Is average form giving some advantage in CL? (I mean when you play and dominate the league you probably have better form etc better ratings)

All the players that are in U-19 team at start will be real players? or the game generate some at start too ?

There was interest, but most could be told they’re too influential and wanted to stay (I’ve had De Ligt’s agent state “my client isn’t interested in moving to Barcelona” upon receiving a bid two seasons in) due to high professionalism and being highly influential. Others wanted new contracts, which meant I could keep them unhappy until I had the money to offer them. 

If you’re asking about when first transfer window budgets are disabled, you just can’t do anything transfer-wise until 1st January. 

No idea, I imagine it depends on how deep you go into the CL and on the player. Had a message stating Donny van de Beek needed experience at a higher level but it’s gone now, de Ligt and de Jong are still improving. 

Real players, the academy is stacked with potential. I particularly like the look of Brian Brobbey - a high potential TM / Poacher

12 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

There was interest, but most could be told they’re too influential and wanted to stay (I’ve had De Ligt’s agent state “my client isn’t interested in moving to Barcelona” upon receiving a bid two seasons in) due to high professionalism and being highly influential. Others wanted new contracts, which meant I could keep them unhappy until I had the money to offer them. 

If you’re asking about when first transfer window budgets are disabled, you just can’t do anything transfer-wise until 1st January. 

No idea, I imagine it depends on how deep you go into the CL and on the player. Had a message stating Donny van de Beek needed experience at a higher level but it’s gone now, de Ligt and de Jong are still improving. 

Real players, the academy is stacked with potential. I particularly like the look of Brian Brobbey - a high potential TM / Poacher

So basically you kept all the players you wanted and noone want to leave and there is noone that don't want even to talk about new contract?

Are big clubs making offers over and over again ? Because even in Valencia I had that problem and I lost players because of that...

Playing without release clauses and 12-man bench sounds nice  :brock:

Has the issue of Jong teams being promoted to the Eredivisie been resolved by now?

19 minutes ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

So basically you kept all the players you wanted and noone want to leave and there is noone that don't want even to talk about new contract?

Are big clubs making offers over and over again ? Because even in Valencia I had that problem and I lost players because of that...

Playing without release clauses and 12-man bench sounds nice  :brock:

No there's still requests for new contracts, most of them I talk them out of it - David Neres and DvdB complain but then pipe down after a while, likewise Onana is easily unsettled but that's because I think his personality is random and I got 5 Det Balanced which hasn't shifted. But once you've got them on a 7-8 year contract then you really only need to look at the performances - if they're playing badly you might need to get rid, but otherwise just keep them.

Yes, but you can usually talk players out of it. It certainly helps if you win things though - I had more problems on my first save, but this one its been easier as winning the CL kinda takes away something players could complain about (I've had Manchester United players complain about wanting to move to Juventus to win the CL before).

11 minutes ago, Gungner said:

Has the issue of Jong teams being promoted to the Eredivisie been resolved by now?

Yes. 

18 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

No there's still requests for new contracts, most of them I talk them out of it - David Neres and DvdB complain but then pipe down after a while, likewise Onana is easily unsettled but that's because I think his personality is random and I got 5 Det Balanced which hasn't shifted. But once you've got them on a 7-8 year contract then you really only need to look at the performances - if they're playing badly you might need to get rid, but otherwise just keep them.

Yes, but you can usually talk players out of it. It certainly helps if you win things though - I had more problems on my first save, but this one its been easier as winning the CL kinda takes away something players could complain about (I've had Manchester United players complain about wanting to move to Juventus to win the CL before).

Yes. 

I was asking about situation when you turn down the offer from other clubs and they didn't want to talk about new contract after that till the end of the contract?

So you were saying them that they are important - option only or any other too ?

Yea winning CL solve everything (because your reputation went up so much maybe even to 1st place in the world) but not always you are able to win it :)

Edited by LukasZ_VCF

1 hour ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

I was asking about situation when you turn down the offer from other clubs and they didn't want to talk about new contract after that till the end of the contract?

So you were saying them that they are important - option only or any other too ?

Yea winning CL solve everything (because your reputation went up so much maybe even to 1st place in the world) but not always you are able to win it :)

Well because they're all contracted until 2022 anyway you can wait it out, then offer a contract the second they pipe down and get them on a 5+3. 

That's the only one I try, sometimes others work.

29 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Well because they're all contracted until 2022 anyway you can wait it out, then offer a contract the second they pipe down and get them on a 5+3. 

That's the only one I try, sometimes others work.

What about signing new young players before you won CL they wanted to join too ?

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:19, zlatanera said:

Hello @zlatanera,

Can you detail a little more your tactic and PI? First season Champions league winner I think it was a great achievement. You only change from Positve/Cautious?

Thanks

1 minute ago, gpassosbh said:

Hello @zlatanera,

Can you detail a little more your tactic and PI? First season Champions league winner I think it was a great achievement. You only change from Positve/Cautious?

Thanks

That's actually second season. 

Its the tactic from this thread:

Then I added these set pieces:

https://strikerless.com/2018/11/05/corner-kicks-in-fm19/

https://strikerless.com/2018/11/29/short-corners-my-plan-b/

https://strikerless.com/2018/11/19/defending-corners-and-other-set-pieces/

17 hours ago, zlatanera said:

So it's 4-1-4-1 DM Wide, not 4-3-3  ?

Just started a new Ajax save, after I felt I needed a break from my Marseille save. 

Signings made so far:

Sigurd Grønli, Tromsø, £135k

Antonio Marin, Dinamo, £1,1 mil

Predrag Rajkovic, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, £4 mil

Andreas Samaris, Benfica, £1,7 mil

Ionut Rus, Free Transfer. 

3 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

So it's 4-1-4-1 DM Wide, not 4-3-3  ?

That's just what they call it in FM19. Used to be called 4-1-2-3 DM Wide but its what most people think of as a 433. 

Ok I didn't play since like 2012 and it is my first FM :)

I've read in topic 38 games won or something like that that this formation is like the best in this year FM

What's the biggest bids people have had without conditional add-ons? (i.e. cash + instalments, but not after international apps etc.)

Late June 2021 and De Ligt has been subject of a £104m bid from PSG.

14 hours ago, Gungner said:

Just started a new Ajax save, after I felt I needed a break from my Marseille save. 

Signings made so far:

Sigurd Grønli, Tromsø, £135k

Antonio Marin, Dinamo, £1,1 mil

Predrag Rajkovic, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, £4 mil

Andreas Samaris, Benfica, £1,7 mil

Ionut Rus, Free Transfer. 

Add to those Lincoln, who joins in January '19 for £3,5 mil.

Hammered Heracles 7-1 in the season opener. Didn't quite expect that to be honest. Beat Sturm Graz 1-0 on agg to advance to the 2nd Qual Playoff, where Sparta Prague waits. If I'm succesfull there, it'll most likely be Benfica at the final hurdle.

As regards to the highest bed, I've only had one so far, that being an £8 mil offer from Dortmund on De Jong. Rejected it, told him he was too important, but he got mad. 

2 minutes ago, Gungner said:

Add to those Lincoln, who joins in January '19 for £3,5 mil.

Hammered Heracles 7-1 in the season opener. Didn't quite expect that to be honest. Beat Sturm Graz 1-0 on agg to advance to the 2nd Qual Playoff, where Sparta Prague waits. If I'm succesfull there, it'll most likely be Benfica at the final hurdle.

As regards to the highest bed, I've only had one so far, that being an £8 mil offer from Dortmund on De Jong. Rejected it, told him he was too important, but he got mad. 

Lincoln is an absolute beast, 30(18) apps in 18 months, 29 goals. Half of those appearances were at AML which he didn't even have a red dot for when I signed him, he tends to play with my B lineup rather than my A lineup, and we don't score that many goals, which makes the numbers even more impressive I think. Pretty much everyone in world football is after him but I got him on a 5+3 contract :) Considering forcing Dolberg out wide to play him more - he looks very much like how I imagine Ronaldo would have looked like at that age on FM, I'd like to see if I can get him hitting those early Suarez / Huntelaar numbers that helped contribute to the joke about anyone being able to score in Eredivisie.

Yeah first season you'll not attract anything special, and even now I can't get offers for De Jong over £40m. They usually calm down I wouldn't worry about it. I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do with 115 players on my books and my scouts giving 90+ recommendations to 5 different newgen strikers beyond the one I bought who very much looks like the next great Uruguayan forward, but De Ligt has now attracted upwards of £140m cash from PSG. I think if they bid more than they bid for Neymar I'd accept it just to have a defender as the most expensive player on the planet. 

Yeah, I always sign Lincoln whenever I can... He's awesome. I have him in my Marseille save, going into my fourth season now, where he's second on the topscorer list, and he's not even playing reguarly, 'cause his direct competitor, Balotelli, is the topscorer :D

I dunno how much cash you have, but even £140 mil sounds like something you should accept...