[FM19] The Great San Marino Challenge

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, charkir said:

I'm two seasons in and currently languishing second bottom in the serie B, can i still get in on this?

Don't see why not mate. Back to back promotions? That's impressive. 

4 hours ago, Chris21 said:

Is the download file in the opening post all good before I start this guys? No problems with the database?

Im into my 3rd season and have not seen any issues either.

6 hours ago, rycl77 said:

I'm having a complete nightmare in Serie C at the minute. It is GRIM.

I had a mare to start with aswel mate. It'll come good. I found playing more attacking worked a lot better in Serie C than Serie D

Edited by Lewis89

Season 1 Review

Competitions

Ended the season 2nd in the league but got promoted via playoffs. 

86244050_ScreenShot2018-11-12at17_10_32.thumb.png.2f96ec051bff11b305706fcc0e9b8fa5.png

219322457_ScreenShot2018-11-12at17_10_53.thumb.png.24d1a927eae0a70d2e541a794d40a207.png

887772772_ScreenShot2018-11-12at17_11_05.thumb.png.5ba241b7a9fe942e30bb79d79981237e.png

Wasn't expecting to get promoted in the first season, hopefully, we can survive Serie C next season.

In the Serie D cup, we lost in our first match in the second round. Conceding a goal in extra time which wasn't great.

446885841_ScreenShot2018-11-12at17_50_20.thumb.png.22ac9cc45ec43ea7ac605b06aa7c1958.png

Transfers

Not many transfers being made as I felt the squad was already pretty strong and the finances were tight.

780063328_ScreenShot2018-11-12at17_53_38.thumb.png.56fba9f5cc7974510169d3f1ebfd2013.png

Youth Intake

791124776_ScreenShot2018-11-09at13_03_33.thumb.png.80fddb8d531e46cee8248f333d490f3a.png

Other Note

At the end of the season with the club getting promoted, we turned professional

1680990891_ScreenShot2018-11-12at17_09_40.thumb.png.61720b349d0b91d1be080056e914a64c.png

Aims Next Season

The aim will be survival in Serie C and to improve the facilities.

So as you can all see I've now set up the game and raring to go looks like it will be a great challenge this year.

image.thumb.png.0f0e6300254235a860f5de30bf661b10.png

On the side on finances this is poor as always has been so I'll hopefully be able to get in a few loan players for free that are decent enough 

image.thumb.png.a2bb7ce24342f72c1115c99ec7a90e23.png

Board expectation's that I can see at the moment are to finish top half of the league but only time shall tell on this but I'll be trying to push for the title fingers crossed lol

image.png

Been busy since my last update.

I'm surprised how well i am doing, last update i was in my first season about to face Reggio Audace (sp) in the play-offs which i won to get promoted to Serie C/B, finances were terrible so i told my board i would attempt to avoid relegation. despite the terrible finances i had a decent budget given to me but decided i wouldn't spend it all (although i did use a good chunk of it on 2 players) as the finances were more important given the need to upgrade facilities etc.

Signed a load of young players mostly on free's and loans, first 4/5 games i was struggling badly, shipping goals for fun and not creating anything.

Switched up my tactics drastically and went on to lose only 4 games for the rest of the season finishing second two points behind Ternana. I was amazed at this as most of my players were at best 'decent serie c' standard but i think i've hit the jackpot with these tactics.

Onto Serie B, now i fully expected to be bottom of the table, again, terrible finances, barely any budget this year but with plenty of room in the wage budget (about 20k p/w spare) so back to loans and free transfers, decided to once again go for young players who would improve so when i was relegated and (hopefully) promoted again i would have a decent side to compete in Serie B the second time round.

However, and this really has surpassed any of my expactations, after 28 games played i'm currently sitting top of Serie B, again, most of my players are rated as 'leading serie C' standard players, i think i only have two or three Serie B standard players in my squad, i strengthened again in January with some very good, but costly, loan players to give me a push to get promoted. 

If i do manage to do the unthinkable and get three promotions in a row i'm going to stick with the same philosophy, fully expect to get relegated but with the money i'll get from serie a, including parachute payments will set me up very well for the rest of the challenge.

Now, Let's talk about youth.

despite my successes in the league my youth intakes have been pretty god damn awful, i have one or two players that might kick on but can't see them being anywhere near the standard to win anything, this is definitely an area i need to improve, due to the poor finances i've only just this season had the board to accept to improve the youth facilities, so hopefully next year i will unearth a gem or two.

Edited by boroofbishop

San_Marino_Calcio_logo.thumb.png.2ecaf35b8129daeef9471dcfd3828197.png

2020-21 January Update

1729599311_2020jantable.thumb.png.e247e0c967fe377f0c90696dc6725136.png

19th in the table. I really don't know what to say. This entire season has been a nightmare. I've made some AWFUL decisions including spending big money on players in an impulse spree and we've just sucked on the pitch. The defense is a genuine disgrace, if there was an option I'd have throttled the left back. On the plus side we're unbeaten in three, thats about the only positive of the season. Hopefully we can strengthen in January and get out of this mess because otherwise we're going down.

Well i did it with one game to spare, next season is going to be a slog but it'll be well worth it in the long run, just waiting now to see how much the TV rights deal will actually be.

Despite there going to be a huge increase in revenue the board have set only a £240k transfer budget for me next season.

26 minutes ago, boroofbishop said:

Well that is very disappointing, was expecting far ore TV money, 1.3M isn't as big as a boost as what i was expecting, still, if i can keep costs low i should be in a good position to improve facilities with the increased attendances. 

That's ridiculously low, very suprised at that. You've smashed it getting to Serie A back to back mate.

There is no chance i'm going to stay up this year, nobody wants to join as my stature isn't big enough, loans that are available to me are pretty poor and i can't for the life of me find a decent ball playing centre half, one of the key parts of the way i've been playing.

Hold the bus a moment, i won the league last year, yet this year i've been placed back in Serie B again.

No wonder my TV revenue is so low, anyone know why this might be, there is no obvious criteria that i don't meet on the Serie A rules page.

Edited by boroofbishop

Having done a quick google on serie A rules outside of football manager it seems that IRL Serie A teams must have a minimum capacity of 20,000 (discretion of the Italian FA can be given). Something that would take years to accomplish with San Marino, if ever possible, i can't see crowds getting that high.

Strange as this has never been an issue on previous saves, and it kinda ruins the challenge as it's going to be impossible to do without the income, the only way around that  i can see is to buy the IGE and alter the capacity of the stadium which is something i don't really want to do. Or i could keep trying to get promoted and see if the Italian FA will let me into Serie A, but again, i don't know if that is a thing on the game or whether we're permanently locked to serie B.

Edited by boroofbishop

3 hours ago, boroofbishop said:

Having done a quick google on serie A rules outside of football manager it seems that IRL Serie A teams must have a minimum capacity of 20,000 (discretion of the Italian FA can be given). Something that would take years to accomplish with San Marino, if ever possible, i can't see crowds getting that high.

Strange as this has never been an issue on previous saves, and it kinda ruins the challenge as it's going to be impossible to do without the income, the only way around that  i can see is to buy the IGE and alter the capacity of the stadium which is something i don't really want to do. Or i could keep trying to get promoted and see if the Italian FA will let me into Serie A, but again, i don't know if that is a thing on the game or whether we're permanently locked to serie B.

Sorry I'm not doing the San Marino challenge. I'm just reading this as it's fun to see how you're all doing. I might try it in the future but on my current save I don't have Serie D so I either have to wait for them to be promoted or start again.

But...I do remember in past versions of FM that if there was a stadium requirement the board would usually meet it, even if it meant putting the club into debt, so you would get promoted. Can you request an increase?

17 minutes ago, Peljam said:

Sorry I'm not doing the San Marino challenge. I'm just reading this as it's fun to see how you're all doing. I might try it in the future but on my current save I don't have Serie D so I either have to wait for them to be promoted or start again.

But...I do remember in past versions of FM that if there was a stadium requirement the board would usually meet it, even if it meant putting the club into debt, so you would get promoted. Can you request an increase?

I can ask them to build a new stadium but my finances are nowhere near good enough for that, it might be a case of saving up for years to be able to build a new stadium.

there's no guarantee that that is what is stopping me as there is no requirement on the serie A page but i can't think of what else it could be.

Edited by boroofbishop

7 minutes ago, boroofbishop said:

I've just looked at another club's stadium from Serie A and it only holds 16,000

Maybe go on holiday for a few seasons and check the promoted teams' stadium capacities? If it is too bothersome for you, I can do that as well.

5 minutes ago, shogoki said:

Maybe go on holiday for a few seasons and check the promoted teams' stadium capacities? If it is too bothersome for you, I can do that as well.

I think that's what i'll do, i'll pop back in January for transfers and to sort my youth intake out in Feb and see who gets promoted and if their stadium is allowed into Serie A.

I've just had the option to ask them to expand the stadium but they replied saying they wouldn't due to finances.

Sounds like another major hurdle to this challenge.... Can confirm we have sealed promotion to Serie B at the second attempt. will post a full season review either later tonight or tomorrow 

3 hours ago, boroofbishop said:

Also, don't know if it's going to be an issue for you guys as i'm not using the same database as you.

It might be an issue of that specific custom DB (possibly struggling to handle expected changes of future Serie B format?) because I've never seen this issue in my long experience with SM challenge. What DB are you using?

so i've holidayed for 26 games and i'm second in serie B, 1st place and 3rd place are both highlighted in green in the table (for promotion) but mine is still blue yet when Pro vercelli are in second, with the exact same capacity as me they are highlighted in green. There has to be a rule that i'm breaking that isn't allowing me to get promoted.

Aaaaaand the board still won't budge about going into debt so i can be promoted but i will keep trying.

I've just checked the first season and Brescia managed to get promoted with a stadium capacity of 16,000.

I wonder if ground sharing could be an issue?

Edited by boroofbishop

1 hour ago, boroofbishop said:

Nice work, your attendances should go up massively this season, mine improved drastically meaning i'm now working on a small profit each year.

They have gradually gone up, and in the play off semi final at home to Cesena we had 5000 I think. Average attendance was around the 1800 mark.

what sort of wage budget are you spending? I'm spending around 25k a week and have been given 45k for next season and a transfer budget of 350k so plenty of room to play. 

Edited by Lewis89

So Pro vercelli or whatever they are called have been managed to get into Serie A, i thought i'd wait until the next seasons' fixtures were released to see if the same would happen to them but no, they are allowed into serie A, i don't understand why i can't get promoted.

1 hour ago, boroofbishop said:

So Pro vercelli or whatever they are called have been managed to get into Serie A, i thought i'd wait until the next seasons' fixtures were released to see if the same would happen to them but no, they are allowed into serie A, i don't understand why i can't get promoted.

Really confusing, as bad as it sounds I'm kinda hoping it's something to do with your expansion DL rather than just the game being bugged because if it completely kills the San Marino challenge I'll be annoyed

How is everyone approaching this challenge?

I have personally chosen to loan unlimited number of players on a free loan (20+), while paying no wages. I initially chose to utilise my senior affiliates players, but then chose to scout all the Seria A teams and their squads, and surprisingly there were many that were happy to join us!

I've then decided to choose to use our funds to invest in the club.

Then work long term with the youth products…

1 minute ago, IOA said:

I have personally chosen to loan unlimited number of players on a free loan (20+), while paying no wages. I initially chose to utilise my senior affiliates players, but then chose to scout all the Seria A teams and their squads, and surprisingly there were many that were happy to join us!

I loaned a fair amount of players, the no wages is a fantastic benefit when the club is struggling for cash in Serie D/C. I do like to have some permanent players in though, mostly for social hierarchy type stuff.

1 hour ago, IOA said:

Sounds like a strategy used by most. I'm more trying to get the club into Serie A before worrying about facilities. with the lack of funds, I figured it would be a struggle to get any upgrades so have just spent what the board have allowed on players and wages mostly. 

Most of my players are developing well, and our youth players are showing some promising signs. Which contradicts the poor facilities but I'm not complaining 

Edited by Lewis89

2020-21 Season Review - Motta To The Rescue

Serie C

627950232_2020LeagueTable.thumb.png.2fe64b6540e00c76317d41c527e37905.png

Bang! We just hang on for survival. A great run to end the season saved us as we got carried by Motta's goals. This was the run of games to end the season, peep how many points Motta won us by himself.

297622140_2020InsaneRun.thumb.png.7531b429ce741fefd4e3639e5d492ba8.png

Transfers

1554094940_2020Transfers1.thumb.png.20539b7ce3cd1c8190e653952c3ece54.png1513054851_2020Transfers2.thumb.png.35fe77a0aea62ad79ccc830b96c40a00.png

Okay so, transfers. For anyone who's done the San Marino challenge the figure of spending should jump out to you. How on earth did I spend 300k? Well it was essentially on impulse. I dropped a crazy 200k on Fratangelo on deadline day purely because I could, an absolutely horrendous decision as he finished with an average rating of 6.80 and 10 league goals. Stupid decision making from myself which could have put the club in jeopardy had I not made some sales to raise cash. 

In general my transfers this year were a mess, hence how many players we signed. I signed new wingers but ended up switching to a back 5 halfway through the season which made them redundant. We signed about 7 centre halves through the season in a desperate search for some stability as we LEAKED goals. The signing of the season hands down was Maurizio Motta who joined in January and single handedly DRAGGED us to survival.

For 35k Maurizio Motta is an absolute bargain, 16 goals and 5 assists in 19 games is an absolutely ridiculous return and without him I'd 100% be getting ready to play in the playout fighting for survival. I'm desperate to keep this guy next season but he has a 140k release clause and won't renew his contract so in all likelihood he will be gone next season unless he has a change of heart (I want to give you all my money Maurizio please stay xx). 

Good bit of business on Simonetti who joined in the summer for free and left in January for 200k, helped to offset the madness of the Fratangelo deal.

Awards and Team Of The Season

1082397421_2020SeasonAwards.thumb.png.2bc3e4a1c2579f846c372ca2aa7fa930.png

Somehow Motta didn't even get top 3 for fans player of the season. I'm angry on his behalf.

Youth Intake

1933126896_2020Intake.thumb.png.05341cf508e0965d4c31229b1a2e2546.png

Horrible. Not worth even analysing. None of them will ever contribute anything meaningful. 

Finances

1089944627_2020Finances.thumb.png.f42b9a38adf15368b1813de4f03e7498.png

I did my best to bankrupt the club with my transfer dealings but we came out not too badly in the end.

Misc

1299391242_2020IFK.thumb.png.ff1f9d7869cdfa221829f2076a079c73.png

Need to concede less from indirect free kicks, only team below us finished last in the league by a mile.

Edited by rycl77

33 minutes ago, rycl77 said:

2020-21 Season Review - Motta To The Rescue

Serie C

627950232_2020LeagueTable.thumb.png.2fe64b6540e00c76317d41c527e37905.png

Bang! We just hang on for survival. A great run to end the season saved us as we got carried by Motta's goals. This was the run of games to end the season, peep how many points Motta won us by himself.

297622140_2020InsaneRun.thumb.png.7531b429ce741fefd4e3639e5d492ba8.png

Transfers

1554094940_2020Transfers1.thumb.png.20539b7ce3cd1c8190e653952c3ece54.png1513054851_2020Transfers2.thumb.png.35fe77a0aea62ad79ccc830b96c40a00.png

Okay so, transfers. For anyone who's done the San Marino challenge the figure of spending should jump out to you. How on earth did I spend 300k? Well it was essentially on impulse. I dropped a crazy 200k on Fratangelo on deadline day purely because I could, an absolutely horrendous decision as he finished with an average rating of 6.80 and 10 league goals. Stupid decision making from myself which could have put the club in jeopardy had I not made some sales to raise cash. 

In general my transfers this year were a mess, hence how many players we signed. I signed new wingers but ended up switching to a back 5 halfway through the season which made them redundant. We signed about 7 centre halves through the season in a desperate search for some stability as we LEAKED goals. The signing of the season hands down was Maurizio Motta who joined in January and single handedly DRAGGED us to survival.

For 35k Maurizio Motta is an absolute bargain, 16 goals and 5 assists in 19 games is an absolutely ridiculous return and without him I'd 100% be getting ready to play in the playout fighting for survival. I'm desperate to keep this guy next season but he has a 140k release clause and won't renew his contract so in all likelihood he will be gone next season unless he has a change of heart (I want to give you all my money Maurizio please stay xx). 

Good bit of business on Simonetti who joined in the summer for free and left in January for 200k, helped to offset the madness of the Fratangelo deal.

Awards and Team Of The Season

1082397421_2020SeasonAwards.thumb.png.2bc3e4a1c2579f846c372ca2aa7fa930.png

Somehow Motta didn't even get top 3 for fans player of the season. I'm angry on his behalf.

Youth Intake

1933126896_2020Intake.thumb.png.05341cf508e0965d4c31229b1a2e2546.png

Horrible. Not worth even analysing. None of them will ever contribute anything meaningful. 

Finances

1089944627_2020Finances.thumb.png.f42b9a38adf15368b1813de4f03e7498.png

I did my best to bankrupt the club with my transfer dealings but we came out not too badly in the end.

Misc

1299391242_2020IFK.thumb.png.ff1f9d7869cdfa221829f2076a079c73.png

Need to concede less from indirect free kicks, only team below us finished last in the league by a mile.

Well done on staying up mate.  I found the quality of player available for the second season in Serie C was a big improvement on the first season 

Good job, I'm kinda hoping my issue is to do with a dodgy DB, as annoying as it is I think I'm gonna have to start again on this DB, will make the same signings probably and holiday a lot of games so I don't have to spend another two weeks catching up to where I got before. 

Will keep you guys updated with how I get on. 

Edited by boroofbishop

2 hours ago, boroofbishop said:

Good job, I'm kinda hoping my issue is to do with a dodgy DB, as annoying as it is I think I'm gonna have to start again on this DB, will make the same signings probably and holiday a lot of games so I don't have to spend another two weeks catching up to where I got before. 

Will keep you guys updated with how I get on. 

might be worth holding fire until one of us get to Serie A. Not had an issue with our database as yet but none of us have won promotion from Serie B. Id recommend klassens database from the steam workshop. hes usually spot on with the databases. 

Edited by Lewis89

944377045_sanmarinobadge.jpg.fa7de82f5e0b7cc5d8bd10cc7b070603.jpg

Season 3 Review 2020/21 Serie C/B

Competitions

Results 1    Results 2    League Table    Competitions Review

Its been a truly historic season for San Marino, as they broke record after record to finish second.....wait what? Yep, we finished 2nd. Lost 1 league game all season, and 1 first leg play off game, yet still couldn't win the league after we racked up 11 draws. We ended up finishing 2 points behind Livorno. In the play offs, we beat Cremonesse, Cesena and then Sambenedettese to seal promotion to Serie B. 

We also won our first bit of silverware by bringing home the Serie C cup. 

Playing Side

Squad    Transfers    Best Eleven 

We was excellent this season, minus the drawing of 11 leagues game, the football played was brilliant to watch, with ex players constantly singing our praises in the press. Tofanari (superb at wb), Damonte (midfield dynamo), Minelli (LW with 21 assists) and Rovaglia (ST 27 goals) being my pick of the bunch. All 4 will be here next season, the first 3 are our own players whilst Rovaglia is already confirmed to come back on loan. Gutted the rest of the loanees parent clubs want them to play with more talented players as i would have loved to keep them. 

Youth Production

Youth Intake 

Not the greatest of intakes, but with the current facilities I cant really complain. Nicolo Giorgetti yp21a the pick of the bunch. Doubt he will get near our first team anytime soon but he could develop well and be decent for the national side. I've been really surprised at the development of our U18s. Admittedly i am not too involved with them at the moment but they are doing pretty well. Bottom of the league the first 2 seasons, they managed to finish 6th this season. Ill be keeping more of an eye on them as the save progresses. 

Behind The Scenes

Facilities   Finances

No upgrades facilities wise, and our finances look bleak being 870k in the red. However, if I adjust the wage budget, I can potentially have a 1.2m transfer budget. Weird old game. 

Records

Club Records    National Team Records

In what was an amazing season for the club, we broke so many records. Highest attendance was 5346 against Cesena in the play offs. 

37 game unbeaten run, most games won in a season 26, most points in a season 89 and most matches won in a row 10. 

Aims For Next Season

Not sure how big a step up Serie B but lets upset the apple cart abit and aim for the top 10.

1 minute ago, boroofbishop said:

Minelli is someone i bought too, i think i paid around 80K for him and his potential is great, i had planed to use him in Serie A so definitely proving to be a good buy for more than just one of us.

hes been amazing for me for 18 months now. Definitely think he could do a job in Serie A. 

2 minutes ago, Lewis89 said:

hes been amazing for me for 18 months now. Definitely think he could do a job in Serie A. 

Interesting that you got him on a free, i bought him second season i think for 80k so you've definitely got a bargain there!

First season almost done signed a very similar squad to last time and came first in the league (admittedly i went on holiday for a big chunk) now in the play-off final against cesena.

Update: beat cesena in the play-off 2-1 after going behind to an early goal, Serie C here we come.

Edited by boroofbishop

19 minutes ago, boroofbishop said:

Interesting that you got him on a free, i bought him second season i think for 80k so you've definitely got a bargain there!

I had him on loan for the last 6 months of his contract, didn't want to sign permanently at first but come the end of July we had persuaded him.