Sports Interactive Community
BadAss88

How do you rate your players?

I'm very interested to read how everyone rates their players! And how do you make your starting eleven? Do you look at attributes, stars (CA/PA), average rating, form, condition or something else?

I'm a bit autistic in this I think, as I play with a squad of 22 players, for every position I use 2 players (but I use a player only for one position). I select those 22 players according to the stars assigned by my assistant-manager (judging player ability and potential is support important to me!). I try to have a squad where everyone has at least 2,5* and my best eleven have at least 3.5* (or 3* with higher potential). Then when selecting my starting eleven I only select players with condition higher than 90% (subs higher then 80%) and form higher than 6.90 (if possible) and then for every position the player with the highest average rating plays. Subs is according to form.

Am I restricting myself too much? Do I put to much emphasis on stars and average rating?

40 minutes ago, BadAss88 said:

I'm very interested to read how everyone rates their players! And how do you make your starting eleven? Do you look at attributes, stars (CA/PA), average rating, form, condition or something else?

I'm a bit autistic in this I think, as I play with a squad of 22 players, for every position I use 2 players (but I use a player only for one position). I select those 22 players according to the stars assigned by my assistant-manager (judging player ability and potential is support important to me!). I try to have a squad where everyone has at least 2,5* and my best eleven have at least 3.5* (or 3* with higher potential). Then when selecting my starting eleven I only select players with condition higher than 90% (subs higher then 80%) and form higher than 6.90 (if possible) and then for every position the player with the highest average rating plays. Subs is according to form.

Am I restricting myself too much? Do I put to much emphasis on stars and average rating?

From my perspective you shouldn't let the star rating be a major influence on your starting line up. It's important but i think it depends on how you take your management. If you're like me I tend to buy a range of styled players to fit against certain teams for example having quick strong centre backs with good mental stats to cover incase things go haywire. Attributes are the way I usually go but the stars are like a base form of who is worth relying or trying to do their best to win games. As for the conditioning people have different starts, yours seem fine to me but usually i go for 93% any lower and they're benched unless there's injuries or not enough good players to start. Players that train well, work for you, constantly good form regardless if they're 4*/3* and are reliant to put in a shift when you want or even dictate games should be usually the first player/players on that team sheet. But giving players a chance whom are lower rated or off form can show you believe in them (private convo) and may start performing. As I said i usually use attributes as my first line up depending on teams but whatever works for you keep doing that unless you want to try something different. Hope it helps!! :) 

I am similar to the OP. My first team squad has two players in ever position, plus room for youngsters to get chance.

Initially, at the start of a save or when changing clubs, the CA stars guide me - but over the course of the season, it comes down to form and fitness PLUS rotation based on squad status.

I rarely drop a player for being out of condition, as my rotation usually keeps everyone fit for selection, but as a general rule of thumb, 90% and up is good to start. Below 90 and I might consider rotating or if the player is on a rich run of form start him but plan to sub him after an hour.

I always limit myself in the first transfer window. Unless a potential starter leaves, I keep the old team, maybe a loan but nothing more.

With the players I have available, I pick a first pre-season squad based upon status and influence. This team gets to start the preseason games and has some credit. If they deliver all's well, if not I look down the hierarchy for a replacement. Reason being that motivation and happiness is a big factor and I don't want too much upheaval early on. 

If players are roughly on one level, I look on key mental stats, then speed. Especially on this FM players with bad mentals or personalities don't last too long! 

Once 'my' window opens and I can form the team more to my idea of football, I replace a few B players that underperformed their value. If I'm feeling risky, I also cut a Team Leader or two Highly Influential Players that are not about to be absolute key players on the pitch and replace them with similar players. Preferrably with better mentals!

My goal is that status and influence roughly match and that my adult players are all mentally fit. 

-------------

When in an absolute bind and results are all that matter short term, my list goes like:

• Concentration, Determination, Composure
  • Positioning/Off Ball, (Anticipation)
  • Workrate, Teamwork
  • Acceleration, Pace

Players with consistency, big games or really good PPMs are also in closer consideration. 

With the exception of defenders that I want to be sturdy and with aerial superiority, these softer skills are what I'm looking out for before I have completely transformed the team to my liking and system. 

I tend to play in the bottom end of national leagues so the few staff I have don't always have good enough stats to base ratings off.

I like my Asst Mgr to have Judging Current of 10+ and Tactical Knowledge of 7+ so I can rely on their input, but I make my own mind up.

I have found the stars can be very useful but last season at Boston, I signed Deidrick-roberts as a winger but ended up using him as a poacher because he just banged goals in. He was a 2* striker but my main striker Tshimanga (4*) couldn't buy a goal! I thought it was just good form at first but he fired me up to the Championship from National North, over many years, although he was never above 2* rating as a striker. Sometimes, I just do what works, and not be too reliant on having a first 11 with 3+ stars etc.

I like my players to be above 90% to be starting, but I don't always have that luxury with the amount of games, especially if you have a decent cup run! I have always done a lot of fitness training, but with the new training set up, sometimes I only get 2 sessions per week with the part time clubs, if there is a midweek game.

Average Rating or Last 5 rating is nice, but I don't always agree with the match rating so I don't tend to rely on it too much. I look at the actual stats on the form screen, and see if they are going well. I like my defenders to have have good heading stats and my strikers to have a good number of shots on target. Now, I take the the training rating into account a lot too.

I think the differences in how everyone plays the game is what makes this the best in the world. 

I look at the stats and how they seem to have an influence on my Teams success - sometimes a Player with not as good stats seems to help my Team succeed more than a guy with what you think would be better stats.

Stars i only take care of to a degree when buying Players - i had 2-Star Players in the past that were Top Performers in my Team and 5-Star Players never take off to fulfill their promise.

Usually i would have a Team of 16 to 17 Players quite good and promising Talent filling the ranks...

I usually play a 4-1-2-3 with Inside Forwards and Wing-backs and play a pressing game which aims to win teh ball and quickly counter. So to fit in with my tactic I go for certain attributes for pretty much all players:

Acceleration, Pace, Stamina, Work Rate, Anticipation, Aggression, Dribbling, Technique, Team Work, Strength.

By position:

Wingbacks - Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Crossing, Aggression, Work Rate, Stamina, Strength, Off the Ball

Centre Backs - Pace, Acceleration, Jumping, Heading, Positionining, Anticipation, Tackling, Strength, Passing

Midfielders - Pace, Acceleration, Anticipation, Dribbling, Passing, Stamina, Work Rate, Strength, Tackling, Aggression, Team Work, Work Rate, Technique (I like to have monsters in the midfield, but have to compromise on some stats as they are few and far between)

Inside Forwards - Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Passing, Stamina, Work Rate, Composure, Crossing, Off the Ball, Aggression

Centre Forward - Pace, Acceleration, Finishing, Dribbling, Stamina, Work Rate, Composure, Off the Ball, Aggression

These are the stats I value most for each position.

17 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

I'm very interested to read how everyone rates their players! And how do you make your starting eleven?

First season, as I always turn off transfer window, start with a 22 finding who suits what, then they will all get chance up to Jan.

Then end of Jan, I go a bit mad as I start looking 18 months ahead for squad building, so I then go to 33 players (3 for each position) but this will include kids who I will likely be loaning out, and if I see weak spot will start scouting for that position.

Then start of second season basically 33 players with an 18/24 month squad plan, that will include me loaning out players rinse and repeat.

Because of the lack of playing time I have compared with when I was a student and had no kids, I simply use the star rating, average rating, and the scouting recommendation score.

If 2 players are close to eachother, I use their avg. Rating or avg. rating last 5 games to decide who plays.

I know there are tons of guides "stars don't tell anything look at roles & positions and their attributes, and don't forget about mentals"... and I tried to play the game that way, but with limited time, it just gave me more stress. I enjoy the game way more now that I've let go the whole idea of "To be succesfull and a 'respected/good' FM player you need to look past the star rating"

18 hours ago, BadAss88 said:

Having 22 players is not being autistic, but smart as "AI" managers don't rotate well and good rotation is a solid advantage vs computer-controlled teams.

As for judging, stars is a starting point. But for me, Teamwork/Work Rate is more important. Natural Fitness too. Height (no midgets). Feet (no one-footed players, "Either" worth at least +15% to CA). Consistency, Important Matches are very important, but it's hard to guess them until you signed a player and played him a lot. Injury Proneness can be guessed from the injury history.

As for judging performance, the rating is somewhat important too. But for strikers, it's goals per 90 minutes. For defense, it's conceded goals. For midfield... it's complex. Pass completion ratio, possession % etc.

So, if your team is doing well, you probably judging the players more or less accurate. :)

Hope you understand that stars are not showing the value of CA and PA, but reflect the players ability compared to YOUR squad.

3 hours ago, saihtam said:

Hope you understand that stars are not showing the value of CA and PA, but reflect the players ability compared to YOUR squad.

Yes, the OP asked about selecting the starting 11, so CA/PA stars are entirely relevant., even if only a guide.

I use the stars just to select who's in my first team and who's put to the reserves/B-squad/youth team and transfer/loan listed.

Having looked at the squad and decided on the formation that suits them best, I do look at the team report by position and jot down the top 3 in each position.  Whilst I also look at current form, this does give me a framework to use when deciding on players, particularly for big games.