Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

Apologies for asking this as I'm sure it's been asked a few times, but I'm still unclear.

I have a current save on the main game - if I chose the BETA option, can I turn this on and off on my long-running save without any issue? I will back-up the save as suggested, but will dipping in and out of BETA/main game effect anything long-term?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators
4 minutes ago, Kingstontom88 said:

Apologies for asking this as I'm sure it's been asked a few times, but I'm still unclear.

I have a current save on the main game - if I chose the BETA option, can I turn this on and off on my long-running save without any issue? I will back-up the save as suggested, but will dipping in and out of BETA/main game effect anything long-term?

Once you've loaded and saved a save game in the public beta, you won't be able to re-load it in the retail version until the retail version is updated to code equal to or later than the public beta code. 

My impressions of ME 1918 so far:

Positives:

- Attacking movement is better than the previous ME version.

- Tempo is now slower so players don't attempt to hoof/clear at every opportunity.

- Wingers now look to cut inside a lot more even if you play left footed winger on left and right footed winger on right. This brings unpredictability in attack.

- Wide players don't dwell on the ball too much and look to cross early if there's space. Very good.

- AI is lot more aggressive and less likely to sit back prematurely. If they are a goal down in last 10 minutes, you may see them go in steroid mode (i.e. super fast tempo and passing directness).

- More central ground level through balls if there's space. Don't expect sexy through balls against deep and tight defenses though, it's not logical because there's no space.

Negatives:

- Tackling has been toned down a lot, so if you don't  use 'counter press' on higher mentalities, you'll have a hard time keeping the number of shot attempts low against you. As a result of this, defending is slightly difficult than the previous ME version.

- Players sometimes smash the ball from wide areas into the box like they want to murder someone with the ball.

- The crossing accuracy is low which is ok but selecting 'Float crosses' doesn't seem to work as intended. Floating crosses look like whipped crosses right now, so speed and height of the ball need to be fixed imo. Floating crosses should be high and slow.

I played a few matches last night  and the ME is definitely going to the right direction,  the following improvements were clearly visible to me:

• the players no longer dwell on the ball for too long before attempting a cross, if there is a good opportunity to cross the ball, they do cross the ball 
  • when playing out from the back, the defenders no longer try to play a risky and long pass at an extremely high rate, the build up play is more patient when the team are instructed to do so. As a consequence the Pass Completion Ratio has increased, which now represents real life football statistics better.
  • tackling has been toned down which is a good thing I think, in the previous ME the average ratio of successful tackles was about 90% which was surreal.

On 27/11/2018 at 12:24, teodoro said:

Thanks for tip...

Sorry, I don't want to waste my limited time..

I'm sorry, but why do you sign up with a Beta-version if you have no plans on providing substantiated feedback? That is the whole reason behind it, after all, to get the necessary feedback from a more dedicated user base.

At the minimum I'd say you have forfeited your rights to complain about the game...

I think the new version seems better and more balanced than before, but I still need to play more games to get a good enough feel for it before I have anything specific to add.

Im not going to spend one more second playing this game, until you fix you match engine. I dont owe you anything. If anything, you owe me my money back!

There are so many negative reviews on Steam, pointing out the same issues as me, so to ask the community to point them out somewhere else, is just rude. Especially since i have to make a profile here, and give you even more of my data.

Just go through the negative reviews, make a shortlist of common issues, and FIX them. Its not that hard guys.

Here is my negative review from steam:

1. If you set a player to mark the goalkeeper on corners, he will be everywhere else but in that position. This worked fine in FM18. Fix it FFS.

2. Even the best strikers in the game cannot score an easy 1-1 with the keeper. I had like to goals from 100 1-1 situations. It makes absolutely no sense.

3. Team instruction says hit early crosses and all players available are set individually to hit early crosses as well. The wingers will hit a defender every time, and backs will just stop and wait for 2 defenders to tackle them, every single time!!

4. Almost no goals from open play, no matter what tactic i choose. But my CB has 20 goals a season from corner kicks. In a CL match, the same player scored 5 (!) identical headers in the first 40 minutes. Thats not fun. Thats not glorius, thats just stupid!

5. No matter if you choose play out of defense, or pass into space, or both, players will just smash the ball pointlessly forward, not even close to hitting a teammate. Same thing in FM18. Why?

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, St0rmin@tor said:

Im not going to spend one more second playing this game, until you fix you match engine. I dont owe you anything. If anything, you owe me my money back!

There are so many negative reviews on Steam, pointing out the same issues as me, so to ask the community to point them out somewhere else, is just rude. Especially since i have to make a profile here, and give you even more of my data.

Just go through the negative reviews, make a shortlist of common issues, and FIX them. Its not that hard guys.

1. If you set a player to mark the goalkeeper on corners, he will be everywhere else but in that position. This worked fine in FM18. Fix it FFS.

2. Even the best strikers in the game cannot score an easy 1-1 with the keeper. I had like to goals from 100 1-1 situations. It makes absolutely no sense.

3. Team instruction says hit early crosses and all players available are set individually to hit early crosses as well. The wingers will hit a defender every time, and backs will just stop and wait for 2 defenders to tackle them, every single time!!

4. Almost no goals from open play, no matter what tactic i choose. But my CB has 20 goals a season from corner kicks. In a CL match, the same player scored 5 (!) identical headers in the first 40 minutes. Thats not fun. Thats not glorius, thats just stupid!

5. No matter if you choose play out of defense, or pass into space, or both, players will just smash the ball pointlessly forward, not even close to hitting a teammate. Same thing in FM18. Why?

To confirm, have you tried the public beta yet? 

15 minutes ago, St0rmin@tor said:

If you are in public beta, then why are you even in the beta? Beta explains itself basically. 

And if you are in beta again, post these "bugs" at the bug section and they will look at it when they have got sufficient evidence that they need from you. 

1 ora fa, XaW ha scritto:

I'm sorry, but why do you sign up with a Beta-version if you have no plans on providing substantiated feedback? That is the whole reason behind it, after all, to get the necessary feedback from a more dedicated user base.

At the minimum I'd say you have forfeited your rights to complain about the game...

I think the new version seems better and more balanced than before, but I still need to play more games to get a good enough feel for it before I have anything specific to add.

I'm sorry, but I've already given my feedback, here,

saying that in my opinion he beautiful gameplay style like counter-direct attack has been now heavily tuned down, ruining my preferred  experience..
No need to talk againg about it yet because is useless:
it does not deal with a bug, but with a precise design choice of the dev team to find an acceptable balance...
Some people like the new ME, I don't.
That's all

Greetings

ME1918 what to make of it so far? I can't say I am enjoying it a lot more. On the plus side:

+ SI has addressed the lack of attacking movement a little bit. I am seeing better runs mainly by the Inside Forwards. The central striker position is still quite static but overall there is more diversity in attacking play

+ This also has quite a bit to do though with defending being toned down, resulting in a higher completon of dribbles and just a bit more space for attackers to operate in and

+ crosses to be blocked less

+ Attacking header accuracy has been positiverly adjusted. When under pressure headers are not as likely to go in but when there is room I am seeing my striker Luuk de Jong, who in real life is a heading phenomenon, makes some excellent heading choices and goals

This ME also has quite a few minusses:

- Long shot accuracy seems a bit too high

- Therefore also resulting in perhaps too many goals from direct free kicks

- Corner defending by AI especially when set to mixed is poor

- Poor passing choices - and completion on mentalities higher than balanced, even when you play short passing with lower tempo   

The main issue that has been dominating all ME's so far, the lack of central play, still persists.  And it could very well come from two totally different issues than lack of attacking movement and I kindly like to ask your opinions on it:

1. central midfielders when receiving the ball from players lower on the pitch never make a full turn before passing the ball. They either face to ball passer and pass the ball back or turn 1/2 to 3/4 of the clock which means: sidepasses or pass deeper into the wing. Even when there is plenty of room or time to fully turn open and see all players in front of him in the central parts of the pitch, the central midfielder just does not fully turn. For creative midfielders with great first touch it is so important to make a full open turn to see all the attacking options and to be able to actually give a central through ball. But all ME'sin FM19 so far just do not let them. 

2. The new/better ball physics with the added curl also seems to hamper straight forward through balls. Because even when a player does receive the ball with his face towards the goal of the opponent he often opts for a curling pass that has a tendency to go wider, instead of weighing the options what sort of pass needs to be given. It seems SI wanted to show of the enhanced ball physics a tad too much :D;)

These two things (mostly 1 though) results in a spread of passes by my AMC as shown in the added picture. Even the few forward passes by my AMC all go to the sides. It really seems that the inability of players (further up the pitch) to make a full open turn when receiving the ball is the culprit here.  

Due to the lack of full open turns, having settings like "pass into space" on or "work ball into box" are also counter productive. With the first leading to poor passes deep into the Wings and the second, due to its patient nature, resulting in even more wingplay.

If I find some more time I will surely open a thread on it but the amount of examples during build up play in which our central players have all time in the world to  make a full open turn but instead are just making a 1/2 to 3/4 turn (which leads them facing the Wings again) are staggering. If someone has the time already to a) examine on full match what I am saying here b) agrees with my findings and c) has time to start documenting it I would very much welcome it. 

AMC direction of passes.jpg

On 24/11/2018 at 13:31, Neil Brock said:

Just a reminder that if you find an issue with the public beta, please raise is on our public beta bugs forum here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/670-public-beta-forum/

Albeit we'll generally only be replying during weekday work hours. The sooner you let us know, the sooner we can start working on a fix! 

Just going to reiterate this by Neil. Please post in the bugs section with Pkms and game saves where necessary. These are the vital components to logging and dealing with bugs 

Have been in on the betas since you started them and happily going along with them and reporting bugs as necessary, currently on 19.2 just reported possible offside bug. Did ask this question in feedback thread but it quickly got buried amongst the stat talk. So will ask here, has there been any change regarding injuries and or training, can't see it in release notes, as I have been carrying on with how I've been doing things since I got stuck into training am on a new save and my injuries are horrendous, I'm not moaning or saying it's a bug, but curious to know if there have been any changes in this regard or am I just on an unlucky injury cursed save?

• Administrators
1 minute ago, toffee71 said:

Have been in on the betas since you started them and happily going along with them and reporting bugs as necessary, currently on 19.2 just reported possible offside bug. Did ask this question in feedback thread but it quickly got buried amongst the stat talk. So will ask here, has there been any change regarding injuries and or training, can't see it in release notes, as I have been carrying on with how I've been doing things since I got stuck into training am on a new save and my injuries are horrendous, I'm not moaning or saying it's a bug, but curious to know if there have been any changes in this regard or am I just on an unlucky injury cursed save?

When are the injuries occurring? In match or during training? 

1 minute ago, Neil Brock said:

When are the injuries occurring? In match or during training? 

Both mostly training, international matches aswell, here is my current injury history

image.thumb.png.eac7ab2a852bdf4fd22aa12ae540b12c.png

Have managed a week since last injury, and currently 19% increase on expected injuries, as i say I'm not moaning and think it's an unlucky save, but my training methods haven't changed from my last few saves.

Just now, toffee71 said:

Both mostly training, international matches aswell, here is my current injury history

Have managed a week since last injury, and currently 19% increase on expected injuries, as i say I'm not moaning and think it's an unlucky save, but my training methods haven't changed from my last few saves.

Can we swap saves? I'm seeing a 73% decrease.  :(

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, toffee71 said:

I'd guess in that Benfica match you played a bunch of players who had relatively low match sharpness? May be why they picked up knocks. I've looked at the figures and doesn't seem to be significant changes (there's always a slight change with each ME) but will check with the match team. If it has increased it's normally by zero point percentages, so I think this will be more down to bad luck/circumstance. 

26 minutes ago, Origin.Unknown said:

Hi Neil,

Just a simple question :

Why can`t i make subs during a game using the public BETA ?

I`m trying all games in 3D to get a feeling of the ME, but i can`t make subs, and the game doesn`t stop at half time!

Are you sure you're not just watching your games?

Has anyone had to change tactics with the latest update?

With Bayern, at the end of the 19/20 season I changed from a 4-1-2-3 to a 4-2-1-3 system, signed a couple of guys to play in the AMC position & all was going swimmingly over pre-season & the start of the season. Then out the blue, with the update, a couple of games just turned into 1-1 snooze fests, changed back to the 4-1-2-3 & back to winning ways. Was odd but probably one of those things

The tempo & passing changes have me worried too, something I'll have to keep my eye as I've seen some utterly terrible passes made (I play Standard Tempo with Shorter Passing)

I think the latest update brought many positive changes though:

Players more willing to run into space when on the ball

Players more willing to shoot (I've seen quite a lot of long range goals so far)

Players more willing to cross

Corner instructions fixed

I've not noticed a huge amount of movement from players up top , IF & W A seem to move off a defender every now & then but my CF(A) doesn't really move at all 

My corners have gone to crap so I'm back to the chalkboard on those, many far post corners just get curled out of play for a goal kick  

I've seen quite a bit of penalty box pinball that I didn't see previously 

My narrow defence isn't doing as great, though I seem to be scoring more in the update I'm also leaking more goals, most noticeably from the wings 

5 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

Can we swap saves? I'm seeing a 73% decrease.  :(

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

I'd guess in that Benfica match you played a bunch of players who had relatively low match sharpness? May be why they picked up knocks. I've looked at the figures and doesn't seem to be significant changes (there's always a slight change with each ME) but will check with the match team. If it has increased it's normally by zero point percentages, so I think this will be more down to bad luck/circumstance. 

It's first time I've had any major issues with injuries in 19, my previous saves have all had similar to HUNT3R decreases, so have already put it down to bad luck, was just curious, as I really enjoy the training aspect and don't want to reign it in, I want my players to work hard, thanks for quick feedback and responses:thup:. It's a whole new challenge so it keeps me happy.

1 minute ago, toffee71 said:

It's first time I've had any major issues with injuries in 19, my previous saves have all had similar to HUNT3R decreases, so have already put it down to bad luck, was just curious, as I really enjoy the training aspect and don't want to reign it in, I want my players to work hard, thanks for quick feedback and responses:thup:. It's a whole new challenge so it keeps me happy.

You've seen similar cases of that high a percentage UNDER the expected injury rates? Full time or part time clubs? I'm at a part time club, so I suspected that may be why. I've logged it, just so SI can review it, in case there's something off. 73% is a high number and I'd love more injuries. Forces me to think and use squad players even more.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

You've seen similar cases of that high a percentage UNDER the expected injury rates? Full time or part time clubs? I'm at a part time club, so I suspected that may be why. I've logged it, just so SI can review it, in case there's something off. 73% is a high number and I'd love more injuries. Forces me to think and use squad players even more.

Have only done serious saves with EFC and over a full season I've had 53%, 49% decreases and couple of other smaller decreases, but I put it down to having the best physios and sports scientists I could get my hands on, I still have the best physios and sports scientists which is my curiosity about this now, and I'm trying to use this save as a long term one for my topic in good team forum. As you say it forces you to think and use squad players or in my case U23's more, I've noticed in my dabble with the LLM that there's not much you can do with training as sessions are limited, so that has prevented me starting a serious LLM save for now.

Just now, toffee71 said:

Have only done serious saves with EFC and over a full season I've had 53%, 49% decreases and couple of other smaller decreases, but I put it down to having the best physios and sports scientists I could get my hands on, I still have the best physios and sports scientists which is my curiosity about this now, and I'm trying to use this save as a long term one for my topic in good team forum. As you say it forces you to think and use squad players or in my case U23's more, I've noticed in my dabble with the LLM that there's not much you can do with training as sessions are limited, so that has prevented me starting a serious LLM save for now.

Okay. Those numbers "feel" more realistic and you even have one now that's not going well. Thanks for the info.

48 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

1. central midfielders when receiving the ball from players lower on the pitch never make a full turn before passing the ball. They either face to ball passer and pass the ball back or turn 1/2 to 3/4 of the clock which means: sidepasses or pass deeper into the wing. Even when there is plenty of room or time to fully turn open and see all players in front of him in the central parts of the pitch, the central midfielder just does not fully turn. For creative midfielders with great first touch it is so important to make a full open turn to see all the attacking options and to be able to actually give a central through ball. But all ME'sin FM19 so far just do not let them. 

If I find some more time I will surely open a thread on it but the amount of examples during build up play in which our central players have all time in the world to  make a full open turn but instead are just making a 1/2 to 3/4 turn (which leads them facing the Wings again) are staggering. If someone has the time already to a) examine on full match what I am saying here b) agrees with my findings and c) has time to start documenting it I would very much welcome it. 

in general all players are having hard time turning around, don't want to sound rude but i think elephants can do it quicker. it's should take like split of the second to turn. i even uploaded this issue when in beta or like month ago. nice catch i think you are right how much it influences things.

28 minutes ago, Mitja said:

in general all players are having hard time turning around, don't want to sound rude but i think elephants can do it quicker. it's should take like split of the second to turn. i even uploaded this issue when in beta or like month ago. nice catch i think you are right how much it influences things.

Interesting. Remember the animations are one thing... The outcomes are another. Ive seen players kick the way they arent facing and its an animation issue...so maybe the turning animation is bad but not linked... And the passing direction is a bug of its own...or situational

Two more impressions - 

A. Seen a couple of outright bizarre long shot attempts from wide positions. Some from high up but impossible angles, others from positions where you'd expect an early cross. One in particular really stood out which was Marco Reus trying to shoot from out wide but from so deep you wouldn't even call it the final third. I definitely remember that game so I'll post the pkm if and when I can compile a couple others as well. 

B. DFKs feel a bit overtuned in my game too. In particular I've seen 2 copy paste DFKs scored in the same game which really shouldn't happen, it was a right footed player taking the FK from the right, GK twice was positioned very poorly leaving his near post totally free and the taker curled it easily to the near post, 2 goals from a combination of weird GK behavior and a curl that kind of defied physics and probably requires a pretty crazy technique to pull off. At the very least you'd expect the GK to learn the lesson. 

You Guys should really get rid of those "Scripted Signings" .. I have 5 saves running ... and in every one of those, Bayern gets Jonas Hector from Cologne ... Why would Bayern buy such an average player ? And it has to be scripted .. why else they doing the same thing in every save ? It should be all make sense . Not like "Oh Bayern needs a LB , Hector is German , plays in the National Team = Bayern buys him"  . Of course there are much more examples in the Game. 

28 minutes ago, jeff.fit82 said:

since the update, im getting bizarre game results as 7 x 6 / 8 x 6 / 7 x 5
is that basketball or football?

Same here

Playing as Bournemouth and i`m trashing United, Arsenal and Chelsea with 6-2 , 5-3 and 6-3.

With smaller teams it`s even worst, killed Newcastle and Watford with 7-1 and 7-2.

I played 14 games, scored 64 ... never seen something like this.

It`s fun ... but not realistic!

35 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

You Guys should really get rid of those "Scripted Signings" .. I have 5 saves running ... and in every one of those, Bayern gets Jonas Hector from Cologne ... Why would Bayern buy such an average player ? And it has to be scripted .. why else they doing the same thing in every save ? It should be all make sense . Not like "Oh Bayern needs a LB , Hector is German , plays in the National Team = Bayern buys him"  . Of course there are much more examples in the Game. 

The signings aren't scripted. These players will be on the shortlist of these teams at the start of the game. They won't sign them 100% of the time, however it's more than likely they will. 

1 hour ago, haffaz77 said:

They're not "scripted".

Think about it this way - you say "why would Bayern sign such an average player?"... How about "why would SI script the signing of such an average player for Bayern"?

4 horas atrás, Origin.Unknown disse:

Same here

Playing as Bournemouth and i`m trashing United, Arsenal and Chelsea with 6-2 , 5-3 and 6-3.

With smaller teams it`s even worst, killed Newcastle and Watford with 7-1 and 7-2.

I played 14 games, scored 64 ... never seen something like this.

It`s fun ... but not realistic!

exactly, the game isnt realistic with this latest update...unfortunaly...

• Administrators

Another update for the public beta today for an updated match engine, changelist is as follows:

19.2.0 Changelist (ME1919)

- Further tweaks to corner defending
- Made heading accuracy more realistic
- General instructional changes

19 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Another update for the public beta today for an updated match engine, changelist is as follows:

What could we see in the ME regarding general instructional changes? What could it impact in a positive way?

vor 22 Minuten schrieb Neil Brock:

Nice . Gonna check it out right now :hammer:

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Mensell76 said:

What could we see in the ME regarding general instructional changes? What could it impact in a positive way?

It's mainly for how the False 9 role operates in game. 

• Administrators
Just now, haffaz77 said:

Any changes due to too many Red Cards ? I've posted it one Page back . Too many Matches ending with 2 Red cards for 1 Team (Full Detail) @Neil Brock

Have you raised this issue on the public beta bugs forum with your example/save? 

Excellent. Im a bit wary of starting a save with the beta version. What are the risks of me doing so. I've never took part in a public beta and I don't want to start and find out you have made further changes that means I need to start a new game. I could probably wait until this afternoon for the official patch 😉

Archived