Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

Just now, Amarante said:

Just gonna let you know coding AI ain't a walk in the park.

I'm fully aware of this and at no point in any post have I claimed otherwise. All I can say is that the mentality and formation issues that plague the AI were not present to this extent in past releases. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Please tell me that either there's been another ME update alongside the 19.3.0 release, or that work on it will continue. Because the state of it was/ is absolutely unacceptable.

Even for 19.3?? seems they've changed a lot of stuff in the change list which looks promising

On 05.11.2018 at 20:50, Neil Brock said:

We’d like to take this opportunity to invite you to join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta. Following the great success of the Pre-Release Beta where we got so much valuable feedback, we wanted to extend the testing process further to allow those who want to the option to opt-in for further testing.

The game code within the public beta will be ahead of the retail version and will contain certain fixes and improvements to the game which will still be in testing. This may be stability fixes, bug fixes, match engine improvements, essentially anything which can be addressed by an update in game.

To raise any issues found with the Public Beta, please do so in our new Public Beta bugs forums which can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/670-public-beta-forum/

It’s entirely opt-in, the only thing to bear in mind is that it will be later code, (say 19.1.2 rather than 19.1.1) so if you save your save game in the public beta, you will only be able to load this same save in the public beta until the retail version is updated.

We would always recommend backing up any save games prior to joining the public beta. Save games can be found in the following location by default:

On PC - C:\Users\[YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME]\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2019\games
On Mac - /Users/[Your Mac Username]/Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2019/games

The public-beta version of the game is available via Steam by following the instruction below.

- Open Steam
- Go to 'Football Manager 2019' within your Steam Library
- Right-Click on the game and select 'Properties'
- Select the 'Beta' tab
- Via the 'Select the beta you would like to opt into' dropdown, select 'public beta'
- Click 'Close'

Upon launching the game, the improvements should be active, so please play as normal and remember to raise any issues you come across with us via the Public Beta forum.  

When I was do it, the game opened. Will winter update fix? If it will, when?

Next year, I'd love to see databases made available to beta if posisble. Within 24 hours I've idenfied a bug, fixed it, tested it, and released the fix for the Scottish Challenege Cup. It's frankly inexcusable that such a bug has been missed entirely by a paid in-house testing team despite it occuring in what is I'm sure one of FM's more popular countries, and despite related issues being raised by multiple users in the bugs forum since release. To be honest, it makes the whole convoluted process of reporting a bug seem like a pointless waste of time to users when it's raised correctly, acknoledged, and takes literally five minutes to fix in the editor but still isn't dealt with. But at least with a beta release those users could've (again) indentified it and hopefully prompted a fix prior to release.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Spurs08 said:

Next year, I'd love to see databases made available to beta if posisble. Within 24 hours I've idenfied a bug, fixed it, tested it, and released the fix for the Scottish Challenege Cup. It's frankly inexcusable that such a bug has been missed entirely by a paid in-house testing team despite it occuring in what is I'm sure one of FM's more popular countries, and despite related issues being raised by multiple users in the bugs forum since release. To be honest, it makes the whole convoluted process of reporting a bug seem like a pointless waste of time to users when it's raised correctly, acknoledged, and takes literally five minutes to fix in the editor but still isn't dealt with. But at least with a beta release those users could've (again) indentified it and hopefully prompted a fix prior to release.

The database was made available via our private external beta which we invite users from within our community who constantly provide constructive and useful feedback and bugs via the forums. Whilst it's disappointing when any issue is found within the game, given the vast amount in-game which needs to be tested there is unfortunately a chance stuff like this can happen no matter how many eyes are on the game. 

Users who continue to post helpful comments and bugs throughout the forum will no doubt be invited into the process. Thanks.  

I asked earlier in the thread but it has been taken over by winter update which is fair enough, but I would like to know if beta process will still continue after recent winter update as I would love to get involved once again. 

On 03/03/2019 at 02:02, SazoJohnno said:

I asked earlier in the thread but it has been taken over by winter update which is fair enough, but I would like to know if beta process will still continue after recent winter update as I would love to get involved once again. 

I'd be interested in knowing if there's anything further planned ME wise, is there any point in then testing and raising any issues we find at present or is it a case of waiting to see what FM20 gives us.

Was going to ask a similar question; obviously my feedback thread from the beta is still there/active and i'm still poking/testing 19.3 so haven't created a thread in the main ME - a lot of the points I raise/things I found still appear to be valid, should I ask a mod to move/recreate in the main section (with 19.3 updates as necessary) or is it ok where it stands and you've already all read enough of my long winded drivel? :D 

7 hours ago, Conor O'Hare said:

I'd be interested in knowing if there's anything further planned ME wise, is there any point in then testing and raising any issues we find at present or is it a case of waiting to see what FM20 gives us.

Any issues found will be useful, regardless of when releases are planned.

14 минут назад, GOODNAME сказал:

Hello quick question i will appreciate if you will answer..

Do you think this current Match Engine will remain until FM 20 or in 1~2 months the SI team will make small patches to tweet the ME ? thanks 

I wouldn't hold out too much hope

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

There are currently no plans for any further match engine updates for FM19. 

Are there any plans to fix the remaining bugs (non-ME) that are still present in this game or are SI now done with this years version and looking to FM20 instead?

2 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

That's a shame Neil. Really do appreciate all the work you guys do, but I've been browsing these forums for a long time and don't think I can ever recall the amount of people flagging up exactly the same issues that are still evident in the latest patch. I know it's a really complex thing to get right, but with so many experienced FMers still picking these issues out (and providing tangible evidence of them) surely that warrants some more work on this to get it right rather than just overlooking it and waiting for FM20?

• Administrators
2 hours ago, NicWar said:

Are there any plans to fix the remaining bugs (non-ME) that are still present in this game or are SI now done with this years version and looking to FM20 instead?

Yes, any major issues we'll still look to address - likewise any other issues raised will be logged in our system to make sure they're addressed for future versions.

9 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Thanks Neil; whilst unfortunately not the answer I & many others were probably hoping for, I do (sincerely) appreciate you sticking your head above the parapet and letting us know, especially with online decorum being what it is now - can’t be easy!

Realise this is a discussion & not a negotiation & naturally i’m asking this from a point of complete ignorance, but is there any scope/is it feasible/is it even possible that we could have an option added/hotfixed that allowed us to choose a particular FM19 ME version to play with? Realise that letting us swap between may not even be technically possible due to variables/dependencies/unicorns (or could even cause instability), but if it wasn’t too difficult I think it’d certainly be appreciated & it may help satisfy those (but not all of course!) whose preference was for earlier versions?

Thanks in advance! :) 

23 minutes ago, optimusprimal82 said:

to choose a particular FM19 ME version to play with

Not wishing to presume, but... never gonna happen!

1. SI would have to provide support for multiple versions of the game, which would be a complete nightmare.

2. Steam would have to provide multiple downloads. If you limit it to just three or four versions, that's three or four times the server space required to host the downloads, and who-knows-how-much bandwidth as people download various versions.

3. Different ME versions are not independent; they've been linked to various iterations of the UI, the database, and a huge number of individual bug-fixes. You're essentially asking SI to provide a number of completely new versions of the game that incorporate database, UI changes and bug-fixes along with various versions of the ME.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that SI has a well-established development system in place; from now they have around 6-7 months to work on the next version of the game. I'd far rather they did that than spend time and manpower re-hashing the existing game. I know that many people think FM proceeds on a two-steps-forward, one-step-back' cycle, but that still leaves us one step forward with every iteration. And that's fine by me.

Yep, expecting it to be a hard "Nope", but 'you don't ask, you don't get' etc :)

I anticipated some of the issues you suggested (as well as a few more) and suspect the ME/base game are tied but I don't work there so don't know for sure & perhaps they're modular enough that such things could be gotten around with minimal effort; worth asking the question at least. If it was something they thought they could do/was feasible then I'm sure they have enough clever heads there that they could find a way around such stumbling blocks in any case!

I've got plenty of hours of enjoyment out of 19 so it's far from world ending, slightly disappointing but I'll live - bright side is that with football being all about opinions; one person's 'beautiful tiki-taka' is another's 'pass, pass, pass aaaaand SLEEP!' so if i'm not keen on the 19.3 engine it likely means that someone else somewhere is now super happy with it! :)

4 часа назад, optimusprimal82 сказал:

Thanks Neil; whilst unfortunately not the answer I & many others were probably hoping for, I do (sincerely) appreciate you sticking your head above the parapet and letting us know, especially with online decorum being what it is now - can’t be easy!

Realise this is a discussion & not a negotiation & naturally i’m asking this from a point of complete ignorance, but is there any scope/is it feasible/is it even possible that we could have an option added/hotfixed that allowed us to choose a particular FM19 ME version to play with? Realise that letting us swap between may not even be technically possible due to variables/dependencies/unicorns (or could even cause instability), but if it wasn’t too difficult I think it’d certainly be appreciated & it may help satisfy those (but not all of course!) whose preference was for earlier versions?

Thanks in advance! :) 

The same options available for Paradox Games. A lot of people who don't like new Stellaris can activate old versions in Steam via Paradox account.

That's funny because I like new Stellaris and don't use this option, but possible I moved to FM19 beta ME if I can.

• SI Staff
11 hours ago, warlock said:

1. SI would have to provide support for multiple versions of the game, which would be a complete nightmare.

3. Different ME versions are not independent; they've been linked to various iterations of the UI, the database, and a huge number of individual bug-fixes. You're essentially asking SI to provide a number of completely new versions of the game that incorporate database, UI changes and bug-fixes along with various versions of the ME.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that SI has a well-established development system in place; from now they have around 6-7 months to work on the next version of the game. I'd far rather they did that than spend time and manpower re-hashing the existing game. I know that many people think FM proceeds on a two-steps-forward, one-step-back' cycle, but that still leaves us one step forward with every iteration. And that's fine by me.

This sums it up well.

Not only that, but new MEs don't just contain balancing tweaks. They also contain crash + divergence fixes, refereeing bug fixes etc. By reverting back you would potentially be losing fixes for major issues.

11 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Yep, expecting it to be a hard "Nope", but 'you don't ask, you don't get' etc :)

I anticipated some of the issues you suggested (as well as a few more) and suspect the ME/base game are tied but I don't work there so don't know for sure & perhaps they're modular enough that such things could be gotten around with minimal effort; worth asking the question at least. If it was something they thought they could do/was feasible then I'm sure they have enough clever heads there that they could find a way around such stumbling blocks in any case!

I've got plenty of hours of enjoyment out of 19 so it's far from world ending, slightly disappointing but I'll live - bright side is that with football being all about opinions; one person's 'beautiful tiki-taka' is another's 'pass, pass, pass aaaaand SLEEP!' so if i'm not keen on the 19.3 engine it likely means that someone else somewhere is now super happy with it! :)

They don't provide any support after a few months so what difference would it make to make all ME versions available?

This is may be off a tangent, but could it be time for SI to consider a kind of subscription model for FM instead of a yearly purchase?

Imagine paying €4-5/month with continuous updates and opt-in beta periods where new features are tested and the match engine is constantly improved.

Would it work from a business perspective? Or would it miss the novelty of getting the NEW Football Manager every year? 

Would it work from a design perspective? Or would the slow'ish, incremental updates hamper the introduction of new and radical ideas? Like totally changing the UI from one iteration to the next or altering one of the modules in a significant way? 

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Lanko said:

Can Kosovo gain more continental spots as its reputation grows?

This was discussed a fair bit previously and essentially we ideally require evidence to suggest this will be the case IRL - that as their coefficient grows that they’re eligible for more slots.

Em 16/02/2019 em 21:46, Kingstontom88 disse:

Seeing a lot of goals where the keeper blocks the shot then the ball falls back to the shooter who dispatches at the second attempt - anyone else seen a lot of these? I know these types of goals can happen, but they seem to happen very often in my save.

Yes but there is some small time I don't get it in my save

Em 23/02/2019 em 10:20, Mitja disse:

Roles were locked to put AI on same level as human managers. Without it humans have too much advantage over AI. 

And the AI managers couldn't use the PIs like the human managers or close?

Em 27/02/2019 em 13:36, haffaz77 disse:

d8534892557b94bd74c235a6d8a8c164.gif

What the Heck ? ? ? What's my defender doing ? 

Em 27/02/2019 em 16:49, HUNT3R disse:

Yeah, that's a miscommunication. Defender is leaving it to the keeper who is coming forward. You can post it in the bugs forum, but that's how it looks.

I see it happens less than before

On 08/03/2019 at 19:17, Liquid Cool said:

This is may be off a tangent, but could it be time for SI to consider a kind of subscription model for FM instead of a yearly purchase?

Imagine paying €4-5/month with continuous updates and opt-in beta periods where new features are tested and the match engine is constantly improved.

Would it work from a business perspective? Or would it miss the novelty of getting the NEW Football Manager every year? 

Would it work from a design perspective? Or would the slow'ish, incremental updates hamper the introduction of new and radical ideas? Like totally changing the UI from one iteration to the next or altering one of the modules in a significant way? 

I have no idea about the different perspectives, but I really dislike any subscription models for games. I get it for things like Netflix or Spotify, but not for game. So please don't!

5 hours ago, XaW said:

I have no idea about the different perspectives, but I really dislike any subscription models for games. I get it for things like Netflix or Spotify, but not for game. So please don't!

I understand. But some say that's the future of (some) games; Games As A Service. 

11 minutes ago, Liquid Cool said:

I understand. But some say that's the future of (some) games; Games As A Service. 

And it's causing massive issues with the gaming industries - for example, see the reaction to the newer Assassins' Creed games, Anthem, Destiny, etc - all of them tend to lose players fairly quickly because there's not much content there right at the beginning, and then throw in expensive paid DLC, all of which is a model that wouldn't work well at all for FM.

34 minutes ago, Liquid Cool said:

Yeah, as @JordanMillward_1 writes, it's causing a lot of issues. While the developers/publishers might make a good deal of money on it, they are losing player count quite a bit and I don't see the franchises surviving on it. Of course, I might be wrong, but, in my opinion, gaming is quite a lot different from streaming or music sites. The same goes for other software, it works for companies, but you rarely pay monthly for software outside that.

2 hours ago, XaW said:

Yeah, as @JordanMillward_1 writes, it's causing a lot of issues. While the developers/publishers might make a good deal of money on it, they are losing player count quite a bit and I don't see the franchises surviving on it. Of course, I might be wrong, but, in my opinion, gaming is quite a lot different from streaming or music sites. The same goes for other software, it works for companies, but you rarely pay monthly for software outside that.

Can you imagine the carnage? It'd be like rage quitting to the absolute maximum - games broke, cancelling me subscription, SI are money grabbing bastards even though it's me that was unhappy with paying £25 for a game that lasts 12 months to infinity.

15 hours ago, JordanMillward_1 said:

And it's causing massive issues with the gaming industries - for example, see the reaction to the newer Assassins' Creed games, Anthem, Destiny, etc - all of them tend to lose players fairly quickly because there's not much content there right at the beginning, and then throw in expensive paid DLC, all of which is a model that wouldn't work well at all for FM.

14 hours ago, XaW said:

But the problem right now is that we're stuck with a lacklustre match engine for FM19. Imagine if development and opt-in-beta kept continuing - instead of us having to wait until November for the next version of the game where issues may or may not have improved. 

I pretty much buy FM every year anyway. This year around €30. I'd happily pay twice that spread over the year to, say, €5/month, if it meant I got a game that's constantly improving, instead of only improving from November to March, and then having to start all over the following November with a whole host of new issues. 

And you can't really compare FM to Assassins Creed, Anthem or Destiny. Those games are regularly one-upped by new, shinier games.

FM is more of a constant, with a slow, iterative development progression. Something like Paradox' strategy games would be a better point of comparison (Crusader Kings 2, Stellaris, etc). CK2 was release in 2012, and got its' most recent major update in November last year.

I don't know if it would work out financially, though. It feels like the sales depend on the November hype.  

Archived