Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

Just to let guys know, unless you watch the matches on Full you realize that crosses aren\t being blocked as much as you think. 

In FM Crosses are: Corners, Free Kicks, Cross from by line, Horizontal Pass from 18 yard box, cutbacks this inflates the crosses completed stats and crosses attempted. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to know where to post right now on this as the conversation seems to have split across here and 'general feedback'! Posting the same thing twice seems very bad form so i'll just link to it here as it's as applicable to the new beta as it was the previous versions, recommend reading up too as some other great posts on the same subject!

Hi guys, just wondering if the beta is still ongoing from when it was first released and if 19.3 is out yet? There's been a lot of indirect talk unrelated to the thread so I've decided to skip and just ask the questions. Has there been any improvements on the ME- long shots, striker movement, set pieces, crossing, central play? 

Also if you aren't in the beta and decide to join now, can you opt out of the beta? Can't quite remember as I did it when it first started and then made a new save with the original recent big update. And does this effect all your saves once you're in?

Thanks in advance. 

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, BigV said:

Hi guys, just wondering if the beta is still ongoing from when it was first released and if 19.3 is out yet? There's been a lot of indirect talk unrelated to the thread so I've decided to skip and just ask the questions. Has there been any improvements on the ME- long shots, striker movement, set pieces, crossing, central play? 

Also if you aren't in the beta and decide to join now, can you opt out of the beta? Can't quite remember as I did it when it first started and then made a new save with the original recent big update. And does this effect all your saves once you're in?

Thanks in advance. 

All the info in regards to joining/leaving etc is covered in the first post. There is a version of 19.3 available via the public beta, but the updated database is not included. Thanks. 

I'm really amused by the Match Engine. Playing with Sunderland in League 1. The Matches aren't good . Kinda realistic . But then u see World Class Goals in almost every Match . Wide Shots banging in like there's no tomorrow . It has to be fixed. And pls don't ask for pkms :D There are plenty . I'll probably drop some anyways ... But if this ME wont be fixed for Official 19.3 then i don't know , no ... I'm actually 100% sure that i can't play FM 19 anymore.  Sad but ... it's just too frustrating. 

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

I'm really amused by the Match Engine. Playing with Sunderland in League 1. The Matches aren't good . Kinda realistic . But then u see World Class Goals in almost every Match . Wide Shots banging in like there's no tomorrow . It has to be fixed. And pls don't ask for pkms :D There are plenty . I'll probably drop some anyways ... But if this ME wont be fixed for Official 19.3 then i don't know , no ... I'm actually 100% sure that i can't play FM 19 anymore.  Sad but ... it's just too frustrating. 

I've been playing in the Bundesliga .1 and I'm definitely not seeing wide shots banging in like no tomorrow or world class goals every match. This is exactly the type of thing the match team need a pkm for. 

6 hours ago, bleventozturk said:

Has 19.3.0 been released yet on FMT public beta?

I wonder about the same thing. FMT19 is set to "public-beta" on my Steam client (PC/ Win 10), but the game says I am running 19.2.1-1175785 (m.e v1922).

Is this a technical issue I can get help with somewhere in the forums, or is it supposed to be like this on the touch version?

21 minutes ago, Burbian De Bay said:

I wonder about the same thing. FMT19 is set to "public-beta" on my Steam client (PC/ Win 10), but the game says I am running 19.2.1-1175785 (m.e v1922).

Is this a technical issue I can get help with somewhere in the forums, or is it supposed to be like this on the touch version?

I just discovered that I was on a very old version. I had to un-check the "public-beta" to get the 19.2.3 version. If activate the public-beta again, I go back to 19.2.1. Does this mean that the public beta is not available on FMT?

I've had the same issue today, yet it hasn't been an issue over the last 2/3 days so it must be down to the latest update

I'm manager of Arsenal and Italy and I've been offered the Real Madrid job. Accepting it means I become unemployed, even though I get the welcome to Madrid type messages.

However I'm listed as manager of Real Madrid. This is a complete mess

2 minutes ago, ajw10 said:

I've had the same issue today, yet it hasn't been an issue over the last 2/3 days 

I'm manager of Arsenal and Italy and I've been offered the Real Madrid job. Accepting it means I become unemployed, even though I get the welcome to Madrid type messages.

However I'm listed as manager of Real Madrid. This is a complete mess

Sounds like a bug. Have you raised it as one with the game save so they can have a look?

11 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Sounds like a bug. Have you raised it as one with the game save so they can have a look?

Yep, although I assume they can't fix my issue quickly, which is annoying as I've waited years for that job to become available

1 hour ago, ajw10 said:

Yep, although I assume they can't fix my issue quickly, which is annoying as I've waited years for that job to become available

I've never heard of anything like that before, which probably isn't a great barometer, but i'll try and get someone to reply soon if they haven't yet

• SI Staff
4 hours ago, Liquid Cool said:

After updating to the latest beta, the game is suddenly HAMMERING my cpu - to the point where my entire system become sluggish. It hasn't done that on the earlier version. 

In which situations? Inside a match, out of match or processing? Or all of the above?

Hey lovely SI folk - were any changes made to dribbling as part of 19.3? Checked the changelist but nothing doing, but note that there's a catch-all caveat;

image.thumb.png.8ebc9037684e142a5c0d873a55414b8f.png

Reason I ask is i've been 'bus-destruction' testing for the last hour or so and one of my big observations from watching the entire game is how irritatingly frequently my CWB's/wingers/IF's lose the ball when attempting to dribble - it's hard to find exact data/evidence as I can't find anywhere in the analysis screens that records dribbles attempted vs successful vs failed, but my perception is that it wasn't an issue in 19.2.3. 

To flip my question on it's head, how it is now actually seems better/more accurate as I've felt that dribbling in 19 is a tad overpowered since starting playing. Supporting my theory that it may have been tweaked a little more is the fact that Liverpool - who have 6 insanely gifted forwards with regard to dribbling (all with 16-18+ for dribbling/pace/acc/balance) have dropped like a stone since I've updated to 19.3. They've finished 3rd, 4th, 1st, 2nd & 3rd in the last 5 seasons, yet this season they sit 13th after 13 games. The other huge spot is their form after I updated to the beta last season;

First half (19.2.3)

image.thumb.png.77e35c9ba23bf5ddaff794616e87b8fd.png

Second half (updated 5th Jan in-game to 19.3.0)

image.thumb.png.b9447ff1e22a0ca42e1085eb5ecd61e1.png

Anyway, to the point; whether dribbling has been nerfed or not, I find roles in general having PI's locked is a massive headache (could defaults not be selected but allowed to be overridden?), but having some of the more desirable of striker/attacking roles locked into having 'dribble more' is exacerbating the issue even more - perhaps things like these being enforced is what's contributing to some of the poor attacking play on offer? Is it possible the 'lock' on PI's is removed, even to test?

As it is now, the roles without dribbling enforced are;

Wide players

Advanced playmaker (support)

Wide target man (support/attack)

Raumdeuter (Attack)

Strikers

Deep Lying Forward (support/attack)

Advanced Forward (Attack)

Target Man (support/attack)

Poacher (attack)

Pressing Forward (defend/support/attack)

I appreciate roles are effectively a UI coat of paint over underlying settings, but some of the fixed PI's can really blunt what you're trying to achieve - I'd like my second striker to drop off the front and into space (which admittedly is much better in 19.3), but my choices are blunted by the fact that the DLF has 'hold up ball' which i don't want, and the F9/Complete Forward both have 'Dribble More' which i also don't want...

Is this the part where someone says "idiot, you can turn off the fixed instructions by clicking..."? :D

Since I posted on Sunday praising the beta, the game has had a couple of updates which seems to have taken the game backwards.

Not seeing the improved first touches evident there anymore or the first time finishes.

Much fewer goals from open play further emphasing a reliance on set piece goals, pretty boring matches to watch at the moment.

Strikers seem to very easily get on a run of not scoring, lose confidence and then miss those good chances they do get and this can spiral downwards.

The excessive red cards seem to have been toned down which is good.

Tired, fatigued players perform noticably poorly in matches, this is long overdue, well done for that.

It looks like your soak tests on previous versions indicated too many goals, so you neutered finishing and creative elements in the ME to get 'real life' goal statistics, sucking the life out of the game in the process.

Too many set piece goals = nerfed attacking play to hit 'real life' goalscoring stats = boring game.

If you can't fix set pieces this year, better to allow more goals and some fun rather than trying to hit arbitrary real life statistics.

33 minutes ago, Etebaer said:

To me a good Goal from set pieces is as exciting as any other Goal!

I am afraid you will be excited for any goal scored now. The current goal number is extremely low. Check this screenshot. It's like a catenaccio festival now.

image.thumb.png.07aa0896a9a15c7925add286aa56b670.png

36 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I am afraid you will be excited for any goal scored now. The current goal number is extremely low. Check this screenshot. It's like a catenaccio festival now.

image.thumb.png.07aa0896a9a15c7925add286aa56b670.png

Wow - that looks worrying.

10 hours ago, EdL said:

In which situations? Inside a match, out of match or processing? Or all of the above?

I haven't tested it thoroughly - but it was very evident when processing outside of a match. I realize it takes some CPU power, but this was taking up around 80-90% of my i7 6700k. 

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

It´s not really about defending being overpowered now but players being completely and utterly incompetent at finishing and goalkeepers being supermen. If they release this as the final ME update to the general public, I think world war three will start LOL

You know that ME sucks when you rather revert back to 1922 which is awful.

5 minutes ago, Martin#2 said:

It´s not really about defending being overpowered now but players being completely and utterly incompetent at finishing and goalkeepers being supermen. If they release this as the final ME update to the general public, I think world war three will start LOL

You know that ME sucks when you rather revert back to 1922 which is awful.

Frankly 19.2.2 is much better in terms of real life / game goal ratio. They basically got that right in 19.2.2

1 minute ago, andu1 said:

Frankly 19.2.2 is much better in terms of real life / game goal ratio. They basically got that right in 19.2.2

Judging by eye test I think that too many teams have very low goals conceded in 19.2.2. and they do not score enough but I guess its tolerable. But 1927 is just pathetic, I do not want to insult anyone, but I cant think of a better word. I played 5 games and went back to 1922. I hit the woodwork more than 10 times in those five games plus AI hit it at least 3 times, not sure of the exact number, I stopped counting very quickly. I refuse to play that, no way. In 1922 I see a lot of nonsense but at least I can score somehow, but if I played with the latest version I would end up throwing a chair through the window, it is that frustrating to watch.

1 minute ago, Martin#2 said:

Judging by eye test I think that too many teams have very low goals conceded in 19.2.2. and they do not score enough but I guess its tolerable. But 1927 is just pathetic, I do not want to insult anyone, but I cant think of a better word. I played 5 games and went back to 1922. I hit the woodwork more than 10 times in those five games plus AI hit it at least 3 times, not sure of the exact number, I stopped counting very quickly. I refuse to play that, no way. In 1922 I see a lot of nonsense but at least I can score somehow, but if I played with the latest version I would end up throwing a chair through the window, it is that frustrating to watch.

It is a beta though and It was made available to public to provide our feedback. 

22 hours ago, Liquid Cool said:

After updating to the latest beta, the game is suddenly HAMMERING my cpu - to the point where my entire system become sluggish. It hasn't done that on the earlier version. 

i'm having the same issue it feels so sluggish i'm using an i5 8600k and a rtx 2060 with 16 gig of ram so i know it ain't my hardware but it feels real sluggish opening player instructions and tactics and many more thing's

so i have opted out of the beta till it's fixed as i dint like the feel of it at all

Had the chance to play a little more today and have to agree with those mentioning the lack of goals; it's a major problem in my save. Long shots and set pieces remain the only real source of goals; the engine seems to almost entirely lack the tools to allow for any creativity/through balls and on the rare occasions that chances are created (in my games, a CCC occurs roughly once every 3 games), finishing from inside the area is atrocious. 

The only players who ever seem to perform 'well' in terms of average ratings are full-backs, set-piece takers and central midfielders if they've scored from 25 yards. It just seems a joyless, stultifying, repetitive experience with nothing to recommend it, unfortunately. I did think that the ME update from a week or so ago offered a little more in terms of general play, albeit with little of that directly resulting in goals but feels like another backwards step now.

At least there's a DB update to look forward to soon.

I just hope SI don't finish working on the FM19 match engine after the winter transfer update like they did in the past. The state of the 19.2 match engine and the 19.3 beta match engine is appalling, and this approximately few days away from the release of the last big update. I would be very disappointed if this was the state it will be left in until FM20.

A shame because everything in the game bar the match engine is perfect and really detailed. But the most important thing is really lacking. I would be happy with the 2018 match engine to be honest. My favourite game since 2006 and finally after 13 years there’s an edition that I don’t enjoy and can’t have fun. By this time every other year I already had like 5 or 6 saves that I was hooked done. 

After having played 25 games with the new ME (1926/1927), I feel there has definitely been an improvement over what we had before.

My team with the same tactics as before (Balance - 442) are more open to playing through balls to find players in space than ever before on FM19. This is demonstrated by the screenshots below showing the last 25 games and then the last 50 games. You can see that over the last 25 games, my goals have come from through balls and crosses when over the last 50 games with the previous ME it was only crosses. Please ignore the visual representation of where the Assist originated as that is a bug in the UI for Macs.

2123495200_AssistChart.thumb.png.e3e424e3bd37d302d12a099569268ddd.png

530787999_AsisistChart(19.3).thumb.png.f3429d06b062e7af5f40d8384786c79a.png

The lack of goals definitely seems to be an issue. I feel it's due to tackling being slightly OP. Especially my defend duty players who rarely ever miss a tackle as shown in the season stats below. I'm not using any TI's except whipped crosses and GK short passing. Goalkeepers pulling off great saves and defenders blocking shots / crosses consistently and almost always successfully could be a cause for the lack of goals and chances created.

SquadS2.thumb.png.e4deaa5b6144b26f82b57b57c7a88a50.png

I'm seeing many blocked crosses because of wide players on support duty crossing the ball hastily rather than retaining possession. Also it seems like dribbling has been toned down, maybe a bit too much. I was averaging around 11 dribbles per game prior to 19.3 where now it's dropped to 7-8 with the exact same set up.

Overall, definitely an improvement on the ME we had before but still think a bit more work needs to be done to make this ME more exciting to watch.

1 hour ago, Phil Dunphy said:

A shame because everything in the game bar the match engine is perfect and really detailed. But the most important thing is really lacking. I would be happy with the 2018 match engine to be honest. My favourite game since 2006 and finally after 13 years there’s an edition that I don’t enjoy and can’t have fun. By this time every other year I already had like 5 or 6 saves that I was hooked done. 

Yeah, feel exactly like this. Previously, have always enjoyed FM, even if there are always a few ME aspects that frustrated a little, they never broke the immersion to anything like the extent the current engine does. 

On 19/02/2019 at 18:41, Neil Brock said:

We've rolled out another update, this time to mainly address some stability issues, but there are smaller additional fixes. 

19.3.0 Public Beta Changelist
- Addressed some stability based issues. 

Is there a more detailed changelist for this update, especially regarding the match engine?

In my opinion the latest update of 19.3.0 seems to discard some positive tweaks of the match engine made by the update before. Fewer variety of chances, fewer through balls, more ineffective forward runs by the offensive players and if the opportunity arises, wasted one-on-ones.

I thought 19.3.0 was heading in the right direction. Now the matches seem static and frustrating again. I might be wrong, that's just my personal observation.

33 minutes ago, Louisking1992 said:

Hi, I've noticed a few issues with my Goalkeepers positioning during games over the course of a few seasons. 

This is only a few of the issues that i have left on my PC. 

hope this helps

2019-02-21_20-39-46.jpg

GK positioning 1.jpg

GK Positioning.png

Could you create a thread with a PKM of these. Would be helpful for the ME team to see if there are any issues to look at. 

3 hours ago, Totalfootballfan said:

Ehh… it's sad to see that "The Short Corner" exploit hasn't been fixed in 19.3 and it still can be used.

I've uploaded .PKM to the Cloud - TFF - short corner exploit 19-3.pkm

This post sums up FM anno 2019 so well :)))

3 hours ago, molsen said:

This post sums up FM anno 2019 so well :)))

Yeh it looks like an exploit until you realise by having no one come to stop the short corner it's just another defender in the 6 yard box to block everything to another 0-0 or 1-0 game decided by a 30 yarder or unmarked goal on a free kick. 

On 21/02/2019 at 14:51, Martin#2 said:

If they release this as the final ME update to the general public, I think world war three will start LOL

No, because most people are not aware of the game flaws. Someone here said and I agree that we’re a minority, if there was a considerable amount of the player base unhappy with the product, they would have fixed some elements by now instead of hugging the same excuse over and over. But as the sales keep going, it’s not much of a fuss that some people make a noise.

33 minutes ago, Armistice said:

No, because most people are not aware of the game flaws. Someone here said and I agree that we’re a minority, if there was a considerable amount of the player base unhappy with the product, they would have fixed some elements by now instead of hugging the same excuse over and over. But as the sales keep going, it’s not much of a fuss that some people make a noise.

The players that download tactics will never complain. 

24 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The players that download tactics will never complain. 

I dunno? I always tend to find that type of player usually complains more - they're often looking for the quick gratification so get more frustrated etc? Complaints are often less constructive too as a result of not creating the tactic/possible lower understanding of why it worked/no longer works?

Back to the beta at hand, maybe got lost behind my walls of text and the avalanche of feedback - is it only me who would like the 'locked PI's' unlocked for roles? Is it something we think could be done as part of the beta? No problem with them being turned on by default for a role, but i find them massively restrictive and actually find it may be hindering our ability to find a way around the stodgy defending;

image.thumb.png.6f1eb83e0c67362c804ebd5ead8b5413.png

May just be me, but gauging opinion before opening a feature request etc?

• Administrators

Please raise any issues which you think are problematic with any point of the public beta with examples via our public beta bugs forum here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/670-public-beta-forum/

Also as a reminder, whilst there may be certain things within the game you aren't happy with, please keep the tone and language of your posts respectful to the development team. We've tried to listen and collate all the relevant issues as much as possible but the reality is that the match engine is an extremely complicated part of FM which requires a enormous amount of code balancing. We've constantly tried to develop it in such a way based on the type of feedback we've been getting from users both via the public and private beta testing programs (not to mention just via those playing the normal retail version of the game).

Thanks. 

11 hours ago, optimusprimal82 said:

Back to the beta at hand, maybe got lost behind my walls of text and the avalanche of feedback - is it only me who would like the 'locked PI's' unlocked for roles? Is it something we think could be done as part of the beta? No problem with them being turned on by default for a role, but i find them massively restrictive and actually find it may be hindering our ability to find a way around the stodgy defending;

image.thumb.png.6f1eb83e0c67362c804ebd5ead8b5413.png

May just be me, but gauging opinion before opening a feature request etc?

I'd love more PIs unlocked, the flip side however are the AI manager's capabilities.  We already have all the advantages over the AI, unlocking PIs would give us another one as we can be far more creative with their use than the AI.

However in my opinion there's certainly scope to relax some of the set PIs in certain areas.  Possibly too many roles running into channels for example, or perhaps a more neutral striker role in a similar vein to the DM/CM/WM/AM roles perhaps.

Archived