Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

I have to say, i enjoy how the ME gets better and better. But there is still a thing that really bothers me, and tbh , gets me damn angry when it happens too often . And thats blocked Shots and Crosses. The amount of those is just too high .  Wingers should see they cant cross a ball when there's someone RIGHT in front of him ! Or at least to try a dribbling or smth ... But they simply smashing the Ball into the Box and the Match ends with 10+ Corners . Blocked Shots are an Issue as well . First i thought , it might be the Quality of my Players. But then i watched a few Sim AI vs AI matches , and World Class Players doing the same thing. Messi , Suarez , Coutinho , Dembele ... to only mention Barca players . There are Scenes where Barca , or opponents are attacking, and shooting the ball 4 times in 5 seconds at the goal, it always gets blocked. If both issues can be fixed , then i think this ME is the best one ever , and i see myself playing this Game every day until i pass out .

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 saat önce, GOODNAME said:

To many goals from shots from distance

lack of movement by the strikers 

BBM role is overpowered for me.. the AI defense always defend very deep and because of that the BBM or RPM always takes shots form 15-16 yards from the goal

I've seen similar pattern from BBM shooting from long range, AMC passing the ball to him, maybe because arrives later, has space. Can be related to lack of movements in final third. Excluding  wide players, they move. And many goals from distance.

It can be observed in AI vs AI full detail matches and player matches.

23 hours ago, teodoro said:

Hello there,

This, I like this.. a counter attack gameplay (direct pass) by my Norwich

Hard to play/set up with current version because counter attack style has been sadly heavily tuned down 

Greetings

My biggest issue with this phase of play is right at the beginning, when you win the ball back. There are what 6/7 players around the ball, yet it ends up into touch for a throw in for the other team, with no attempt to pass to any of the easy options. Even when the defender has the ball and is closed down, there is a full back available, who can then pass up the line to the wide player.

This is what I am seeing when I play on my save on this beta. Not sure how no one else has picked this up

I thought similar about the central midfielders actually, it's feels almost as if they've elongated the middle third of the pitch somehow and midfielders with a bit of dribbling skill about them can really impact a game. For those of us mid 30's and fond of a good old CM 97/98 exploit I bet a good old 4132 with a long forward arrow from the middle midfielder wouldn't do any harm.

Hi @Neil Brock, could you please consider releasing a pinned known issues/'areas of interest' log for betas? It would assist with direction, and also ensure people aren't wasting their time doing tons of analysis on known issues when what is needed is PKMs and examples. 

It would make the process more effective and also be nice for those who do try to help out.

Cheers

Has anyone noticed that when the AI use two strikers they often seem to play two attack duties? Feels unrealistic seeing two players just waiting on the halfway line. Also seems a waste considering support strikers defending deeper is something I feel is an important change in this match engine. I tend to get caught out by this pretty often even with a DM and fairly conservative fullbacks.

4 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

These should be going hand in hand. SI will always need PKMs.

It's been said in this very thread by Neil and repeated by moderators. Pkms are the bread and butter of any detailed feedback. Because it contains code. All the detailed analysis is great, but if there are no Pkms, then then first thing people will ask for are said Pkms

Just now, uroszila said:

ME has improved, that's a fact. There are some things that still need to be improved but generally game is progressing.

Btw, any news when 19.2 will be officially released?

The answer is genuinely: when SI feel they're ready. There's no external timetable. They do like to get 19.2 out around Christmas but that is by no means any kind of accurate timetable of an upcoming release. 

vor 6 Minuten schrieb uroszila:

ME has improved, that's a fact. There are some things that still need to be improved but generally game is progressing.

Btw, any news when 19.2 will be officially released?

i don't think it should be released in the current state . I'm not saying that you said or want that, but due to the current ME , i think it needs some work . Passing accuracy is too high for "bad teams" .  They became  75+% passing teams since me v1918 . Also the blocked crosses issue which results in way too many corners , is a thing they have to fix imho . Maybe it's just my individual opinion, but watching games with comprehensive Highlights is like watching a corner festival . In General , the ME has improved a lot , and im enjoying a lot playing the game. In fact , i cant stop playing :seagull:

33 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

i don't think it should be released in the current state . I'm not saying that you said or want that, but due to the current ME , i think it needs some work . Passing accuracy is too high for "bad teams" .  They became  75+% passing teams since me v1918 . Also the blocked crosses issue which results in way too many corners , is a thing they have to fix imho . Maybe it's just my individual opinion, but watching games with comprehensive Highlights is like watching a corner festival . In General , the ME has improved a lot , and im enjoying a lot playing the game. In fact , i cant stop playing :seagull:

You're getting the PKM's uploaded I hope then pal?

vor 55 Minuten schrieb haffaz77:

maybe its better to split those big update into some smaller ones? i dont know.

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

defenetely it's too early to release it in current state, while betas are improvement i think all major issues still need work to do. like movement, crossing, passing, AI tactics. 

From an attacking perspective as we have documented in several public beta bugs threads the ME has major issues/restrictions. Only a breakthrough on those issues resulting in a new ME version could improve on the current ME in the public live version.

I'd advise against releasing me1920 but I am quite certain my vote doesn't (nor shouldn't) count :D

Tactic creators (I mean conveyor of plug'n'play) used attacking mentality in last year, allegedly this type of risk more powerful in current ME.

I dont like this style and not use it like main mentality, but I noticed two things in FM19

1. If I missed goal in second half and changed mentality to 'attack', I won in most cases, like 'attack mentality' is a burst
  2. Even AI managers more powerful with main 'attack' mentality. For example Vladimir Petkovic signed to Atalanta along the save and finished 3th place (scout confirms he's using attacking mentality)

Of course its interesting then some teams start to be 'surprise of the year', but I consider it wrong that one mentality has an advantage over others

Il 1/12/2018 in 20:04 , pats ha scritto:

Sure. I can only post screenshots on Monday but here is the tactic:

4-4-2, balanced mentality, balanced width, slightly more direct passing, standard tempo, hit early crosses, float crosses, be more disciplined

Counter, counter press

Lower defensive line + standard line of engagement, extremely high pressing intensity, tight marking

Player roles and duties:

GK(d), CD(d),CD(d), FB(s/a), FB(s/a), CM(d), CM(s), DW(s), DW(s), PF(s), PF(A)

Crosses from deep for FBs and DWs, get further forward for DWs and CM(s)

Hello there, 

I tried your tactics but unfortunately  have not seen valuable improvements ... maybe it is a question of roles and duties that I did not set well
or maybe my players are not suitable for your tactics (your screenshot may help and would be really appreciated)
For now I remain of my opinion that the effectiveness of the counter attack style has been decreased in the current version
I see movements of the players not consistent and suitable with this gameplay style, unlike version 19.5

(I keep both versions just for extensive  testing and comparing)
I hope to be denied

Thanks for helping

Greetings

FWIW I would seriously consider releasing 19.2 ME 1920 to the wider base. I know there are still issues, but a lot of the issues have either been fixed e.g. excessive pressing, defensive lines, or are much better i.e. movement and goals from forward players, set pieces. Its a much more enjoyable game now.

vor 24 Minuten schrieb Lord Rowell:

FWIW I would seriously consider releasing 19.2 ME 1920 to the wider base. I know there are still issues, but a lot of the issues have either been fixed e.g. excessive pressing, defensive lines, or are much better i.e. movement and goals from forward players, set pieces. Its a much more enjoyable game now.

The 19,2 Patch wont be out til Christmas or short time before . So why not giving them timer to optimize the ME even more ?  The Public Beta is nice for NOT rushing things imo

24 minutes ago, Origin.Unknown said:

I find 19.2 ME harder than 19.1.5

There are still problems with short passing, crossing ... etc

What i don`t like the most is the amount of goals scored by the AI with Long Shots!

Haven't had huge opportunity to play the 19.2 engine owing to the miseries of moving house but from what i've seen, there are a lot of long range goals going in now. It almost seems that technical midfielders' CA is reflected more in their ability to score goals owing to the engine's difficulties in enabling them to be creative passers. 

There also seems to be a lot of space around 15-20 yards from goal for on-rushing midfielders to shoot, which I suppose inevitably leads to a lot of goals from this corridor of space. Defences being so deep and narrow whilst forwards' limited movement sees them pretty much stuck to this defensive line seems to be causing this space to appear. Presumably a knock-on of this deep block and poor movement is the complete lack of through ball goals; i've not had a single one (for or against) in 19.2 yet from around a dozen games (though I did score with 2 overhead kicks in my first 2 pre-season games).

Does anybody else also think that players seem too keen to cross the ball? I'm seeing huge numbers despite playing inverted full-backs and trying to limit them; it seems that wide players are far more likely to cross than they are to dribble or attempt to link play with any sort of one-two/creative movement.

Regardless, it would be remiss not to mention that IMO, ME19.2 is definitely far better than the retail version and moving in the right direction. A little more tweaking, particularly in the areas mentioned above and we could see something hugely enjoyable.

57 minuti fa, fidelitywars ha scritto:

Haven't had huge opportunity to play the 19.2 engine owing to the miseries of moving house but from what i've seen, there are a lot of long range goals going in now. It almost seems that technical midfielders' CA is reflected more in their ability to score goals owing to the engine's difficulties in enabling them to be creative passers. 

There also seems to be a lot of space around 15-20 yards from goal for on-rushing midfielders to shoot, which I suppose inevitably leads to a lot of goals from this corridor of space. Defences being so deep and narrow whilst forwards' limited movement sees them pretty much stuck to this defensive line seems to be causing this space to appear. Presumably a knock-on of this deep block and poor movement is the complete lack of through ball goals; i've not had a single one (for or against) in 19.2 yet from around a dozen games (though I did score with 2 overhead kicks in my first 2 pre-season games).

Does anybody else also think that players seem too keen to cross the ball? I'm seeing huge numbers despite playing inverted full-backs and trying to limit them; it seems that wide players are far more likely to cross than they are to dribble or attempt to link play with any sort of one-two/creative movement.

Regardless, it would be remiss not to mention that IMO, ME19.2 is definitely far better than the retail version and moving in the right direction. A little more tweaking, particularly in the areas mentioned above and we could see something hugely enjoyable.

I agree:  too many goals scored  from outside the area...
I would add that they are oftens scored by players with the attribute "long range shot"  <=12, which makes me think that these decisions are somehow linked to some scripts put in place to overcome the engine issues.

1 hour ago, Origin.Unknown said:

What i don`t like the most is the amount of goals scored by the AI with Long Shots!

The ME don't know if the player who shoots are on your team or an AI team. So if that happens a lot against you then you might have an issue with too little pressure on opposition players.

1 hour ago, Origin.Unknown said:

I find 19.2 ME harder than 19.1.5

There are still problems with short passing, crossing ... etc

Im with Milan,my BBM is with 7 goals in 10 matches and all of them in long shots

14 minuti fa, XaW ha scritto:

The ME don't know if the player who shoots are on your team or an AI team. So if that happens a lot against you then you might have an issue with too little pressure on opposition players.

It also happens with maximum intensity pressing on 

1 minute ago, teodoro said:

It also happens with maximum intensity pressing on 

Well, then there are some other issues with the tactical instructions. Does is also happen in AI vs AI matches?

The BETA match engine is indeed an interesting beast. I've completed a full season in League 1 as Portsmouth, and these are my general observations:

- The ME is falling woefully short of potential in terms of its ability to represent distinctive styles of play. Systems are barely distinguishable from each other, especially in the final third.

- The absence of off the ball movement from strikers and subsequent central forward passing from attacking midfielders is killing the experience; especially when a system depends on this pattern of play to function effectively.

image.thumb.png.ea70adca606ec149662473e6351dd5e6.png This is a typical example that can be taken from any match, showing my No.9 (DLF) electing to take up, and remain, in an unreachable position sandwiched between two CBs

The tip of the arrow shows the position he should take up or at least attempt to move to. In doing so, he offers himself as a genuine passing option for the player on the ball, my No.4 (BPD). This movement would also drag a defender out of position for a possible forward run from my No.6 (AM). The effectiveness of this system hugely depends upon the DLF acting as a focal point; holding the ball up, creating pockets of space, laying it off, or spraying it wide before attacking the box (literally the in-game description of the bloody role). Who you play their is irrelevant, as their static and ineffective nature unhinges the whole system and is brutally displayed in the analysis tool.

- There have been large runs of matches in my season when the DLF received zero passes in the box due to their unavailability.

image.thumb.png.fd0244e9825123686d90f28fbb1de35c.png Typical example grabbed at random rather than cherry picked. 63 passes made by my AM, zero of them forward into the box.

- Passing triangles frequently indicate zero passes even attempted between the AM and DLF.

- Match ratings for the AM and DLF frequently plummet at similar rates to 6.4 as a direct result of their non-involvement in play.

- Goals from set pieces dominate and are still grossly over-represented.

- Whatever changes were made in the 19.2 build, goals from long range for both me and the AI are flying in from everywhere. Players are not getting closed down sufficiently outside the area, irrespective of pressing / OI / marking instructions.

- Crosses and shots are still getting blocked on about 80% of highlights, which results in farcical numbers of corners.

Despite winning the league with nearly 100 points, I've come to realise that for me, winning is irrelevant. How you win is everything. Players have a fundamental need for the ME to pay them off for the hours of work put in to craft their team's identity. The current build is a million miles away from delivering this.

• Administrators

The post above is exactly the type of issue which needs to be raised with examples and pkms within the match engine private beta forum.

To re-iterate, the match team won't be checking this thread so really need people to raise the issues there if you want them to be investigated.

Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

- Crosses are still getting blocked on about 80% of highlights, which results in farcical numbers of corners.

that is product of far too many crossing attempts in the first place. how and why do they happen?

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

that is product of far too many crossing attempts in the first place. how and why do they happen?

There have been a reduction on crosses  going out of play. They do go back into play or they are cleared for throws etc. 

6 minutes ago, Amarante said:

There have been a reduction on crosses  going out of play. They do go back into play or they are cleared for throws etc. 

i don't unerstand your point? there are still faaar to many crosses in (some) games.

2 hours ago, Mitja said:

It's fairly obvious that it all comes down to lack of striker movement, which causes a total absence of central play, which means the ball ends up out wide all the time, which means more crosses, more corners and more set piece goals.

The turning issue may also play into it. If players are unable to turn and face forward often enough, the consequence is obvious.

I’m not sure where to ask to get more opinions on this, I guess here is the best place given that mods (going to tag you @Neil Brock) look through this and people who are testing the ME are also active.

Ok while I was testing the beta I figured my attacking players were very narrow once the ball hit the opposition’s final third. I think you know what I am talking about since this has been present in previous FM editions although now it seems a bit exaggerated. My guess is that this has become slightly worse because now you can set your defensive width and for some reason the attacking players seem to try and play within that range. My question is why SI decided to code these players, even a winger for example, to tuck inside and stay close to the his team striker, instead of trying to stay slightly wider to create more gaps between the opposition’s defenders.

As a paying customer I feel the need to get this of my chest in a post. Ignore it, accept it , criticize it or delete it. I'm gonna post it anyway. Perhaps is the wrong part of the forum, but whatever.

While I appreciate SI making an effort in making this Public Beta available to us in order to help them improve the ME, I feel like this should be done before official release a month ago and it should be done by their paid testing team. Why should we pay to buy a game and then spend a month or two months testing Betas and uploading pmks to help them do something that should've been done already by their team? We have lives, jobs, family, etc. We spend money on a product and if it doesn't work, then we would just not buy it anymore until the makers make it good.

The ME is the bread and butter of the game. It is one thing SI can't afford to not have right at release. I realize it may be hard work to get right, but that is your problem/job, not mine or ours. If the ME is not right and not working as it should be, then the game is not worth it in this condition. 

I have played every edition of FM since 1993 and CM Italia edition. I paid for every one of them. I was born in Europe and started playing there. And continued to do so when I moved to America even though it was difficult getting the game at first. I'm not some random guy ranting. I've been loyal and patience customer for years and years.

But this year the ME is atrociously bad and unacceptable. I had high hopes and was positively excited about the release once new Tactical and Training modules were announced. I think it's only right I make you aware of my feelings, for whatever its worth or if its even worth it to you (SI). 

Thus I will end by putting it in simple business terms you should understand. If the game is good, I will play it and buy it again. If it isn't, then I won't. Business 101. Consider me Americanized - for better or worse.

1 hour ago, yonko said:

As a paying customer I feel the need to get this of my chest in a post. Ignore it, accept it , criticize it or delete it. I'm gonna post it anyway. Perhaps is the wrong part of the forum, but whatever.

While I appreciate SI making an effort in making this Public Beta available to us in order to help them improve the ME, I feel like this should be done before official release a month ago and it should be done by their paid testing team. Why should we pay to buy a game and then spend a month or two months testing Betas and uploading pmks to help them do something that should've been done already by their team? We have lives, jobs, family, etc. We spend money on a product and if it doesn't work, then we would just not buy it anymore until the makers make it good.

The ME is the bread and butter of the game. It is one thing SI can't afford to not have right at release. I realize it may be hard work to get right, but that is your problem/job, not mine or ours. If the ME is not right and not working as it should be, then the game is not worth it in this condition. 

I have played every edition of FM since 1993 and CM Italia edition. I paid for every one of them. I was born in Europe and started playing there. And continued to do so when I moved to America even though it was difficult getting the game at first. I'm not some random guy ranting. I've been loyal and patience customer for years and years.

But this year the ME is atrociously bad and unacceptable. I had high hopes and was positively excited about the release once new Tactical and Training modules were announced. I think it's only right I make you aware of my feelings, for whatever its worth or if its even worth it to you (SI). 

Thus I will end by putting it in simple business terms you should understand. If the game is good, I will play it and buy it again. If it isn't, then I won't. Business 101. Consider me Americanized - for better or worse.

I feel like this should be done before official release a month ago and it should be done by their paid testing team.

This already happens, both through their internal staff, and and their closed private volunteers. but as has been explained many times before, testing and spotting issues is not the same as being able to debug and fixing them

Why should we pay to buy a game and then spend a month or two months testing Betas and uploading pmks to help them do something that should've been done already by their team? We have lives, jobs, family, etc. We spend money on a product and if it doesn't work, then we would just not buy it anymore until the makers make it good.

Closed beta testers already do this. While your efforts are appreciated, if you don't want to do this, then don't. The public beta is entirely voluntary. 

FM is routinely in Beta for the first couple of months post-release, it's been like this for many years. Of course 'beta' is subjective (many people are playing/enjoying the game as it is), but for me the nature of the current issues merit the term. The reason for an imperfect ME on release is that it's extremely complex and SI are not omniscient - I don't think anyone doubts that. 

By buying it you prove that the game in this state is acceptable to you, and you consent to participating in a period where the ME is still evolving (as have I). This is the case to different degrees with many games nowadays (look at the unmitigated disaster that is fallout76), and can hardly come as a surprise to any long-term FM/CM fan. In short, by now you should expect the game to be in this state for the first couple of months after release. If you want to make the statement that it's not acceptable, you can monitor the state of the game on these forums (or play the demo) before buying, and if the ME is in an unacceptable state for you, refrain from purchasing until it's not (which is what I plan to do next year). 

Apparently the issues around excessive wide play, lack of striker movement and central play etc were known by developers pre-release, they just weren't able to get the ME into a better state when it was due for release in November. The thread linked there (RE suggested improvements to pre-release processes to pick up ME issues earlier) was quite abruptly locked because apparently it's not an issue of picking up issues before release, but rather an issue of fixing them without all the data that a vastly increased playing pool provides. The implication is that the ME is extremely complex (especially when new features are introduced) and that you can be part of this 'improvement period' in the early months or not, but that it is necessary for the coders to get things to a level of ME which subjectively you or I would call good.

7 hours ago, yonko said:

actually during the BETA before the game was released the ME was in a much better state. after a recent update there was knock-ons which resulted in the current state of ME which I think many agree is quite a shambles. SI needed  to do this to get more data to fix the issues. 

so the key point is, the ME at release was much better and FM was launched understandably. 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, yonko said:

1 hour ago, upthetoon said:

actually during the BETA before the game was released the ME was in a much better state. after a recent update there was knock-ons which resulted in the current state of ME which I think many agree is quite a shambles. SI needed  to do this to get more data to fix the issues. 

so the key point is, the ME at release was much better and FM was launched understandably. 

These kinds of posts really make us feel a bit like we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. We've always provided significant support for our games, both in terms of support within the community and common patches/updates throughout development.

Specifically in regards to the match engine, for FM19 the ME has been worked on for well over a year with various changes. This has been internally tested by our in-house match team again for over a year. Then we had the Private Beta phase where hundreds of external testers played and fed back on the game. Then the pre-release beta phase before eventually arriving at retail. Now we're asking for more direct feedback from volunteers making sure you have the very latest code we're working on via the private beta. During the development time for FM19 we've gone through 63 different match engines (with many hundreds of changes to the code). 

To call our development process a "shambles" and "atrociously bad" is not only extremely unhelpful it's also something we would vehemently disagree with. Whilst you're absolutely entitled to your opinion and feedback (which we do ask to try and keep constructive) we would ask members of the community to please try and respect the process and the development team who will potentially be reading these types of posts you make. 

Many game developers release a product and wipe their hands of it. We've never done that. By asking our community to remain as involved as we possibly can isn't the same as asking you to replace the thousands of hours of testing we've already put in just for this version to get to this point. 

I believe that SI should release the BETA around 1 month before main release of the game. As it stands now, 2 weeks is too not enough time to provide the best feedback and it seems it's not enough time for SI to find the balance for the ME.

Unless SI has team of  a hundred people working to make the ME which i don't think they have.

Regardless , SI must be congratulated for the level of interaction with their customers on providing feedback and support. This year they made a step into the right direction.

6 minutes ago, andu1 said:

I believe that SI should release the BETA around 1 month before main release of the game. As it stands now, 2 weeks is too not enough time to provide the best feedback and it seems it's not enough time for SI to find the balance for the ME.

Unless SI has team of  a hundred people working to make the ME which i don't think they have.

or just postpone the release of new one until it's ready. i'm sure this one will be fantastic when most issues are fixed. but i doubt anyone would preffer this one over highly polished 18 ME. i really don't mind for all other issues but ME is bread and butter of the game. 

14 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

The post above is exactly the type of issue which needs to be raised with examples and pkms within the match engine private beta forum.

To re-iterate, the match team won't be checking this thread so really need people to raise the issues there if you want them to be investigated.

Thanks. 

Whilst I would love to be able to watch matches in their entirety, log time stamps, upload PKMs accompanied by lengthy evaluative commentary; I simply don't have time.

My post contained general observations over the course of a season, supported by a couple of screen grabs. That's my personal limit given the hours I work and the free time I have to play games.

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Whilst I would love to be able to watch matches in their entirety, log time stamps, upload PKMs accompanied by lengthy evaluative commentary; I simply don't have time.

My post contained general observations over the course of a season, supported by a couple of screen grabs. That's my personal limit given the hours I work and the free time I have to play games.

Even just posting it in the match engine forum rather than here would be much more beneficial if you want your observations to be considered by the match team. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Many game developers release a product and wipe their hands of it. We've never done that. By asking our community to remain as involved as we possibly can isn't the same as asking you to replace the thousands of hours of testing we've already put in just for this version to get to this point. 

The public beta is a step in the right direction. Keep up the good work!

Okay, so what are the main ME issues in beta we're looking at here?

- Forward movement

- Cramped central play

- Lack of Agility & First Touch for players

- Full/ Wing backs no closing down wide attackers

I picked up some odd behavior for the Pressing Forward last night but I need to do a bit of reading before I log it as a bug 

Archived