Join the Football Manager 2019 Public Beta today!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 минут назад, haffaz77 сказал:

Double Red Cards for 1 Team are still a big issue imo ... See this almost every week in different leagues. 

Do you use get stuck in with riskly mentality?

Gerade eben schrieb Novem9:

Do you use get stuck in with riskly mentality?

AI vs AI . I wasnt involved . I personally never get 2 red cards in 1 Match . But AI teams seem to get them a lot .

After 4 years I reached the conclusion that this is just a game and will never ever be able to replicate real life football, not even come close to it. I bet there are people out there that have been playing it for a long time and are still enjoying the game, but I can't enjoy something that is fake. I will still play the game from time to time, but its mechanics are not working as they are supposed to. You want to play counter attack? Choose attacking mentality. You want to play a controlled possession game? Counter mentality is the way to go. Every year I played the game, the same things happened. Buy the game, wait for a few months for a stable version and then you can finally get into a longer, more complex save. I don't know how it was before FM15, but I believe it was the same. I can't understand how each and every version has messed up rules about subs, league playoffs, registration rules, youth teams etc. each year. People are suggesting really good things that will improve the game much more than what we get each year. Instead we see the same things in every FM: a 'new' and 'innovative' UI, minimal tactic creator tweaks and updated database and that's it. It's like Apple, selling the same product each year under a new design. The mezzala role was introduced in fm18. I have never seen it go out wide, while an inside forward cuts inside, and get the ball while the defense was busy with the inside forward. positional play = 0(zero).

Yeah, it's cool at first, it completes the fantasy of being a real life football manager, but all the matches look the same. You win the league easily with a mid table club, leading in goals, possession, passes etc... Just like in real life. There are a lot more things to say. Maybe my post will get deleted again and I'll suddenly get muted again without any notice or the mods knowing anything about it. This forum feels like 1984 at times, you are not allowed to think what you want about the game, you are only allowed to express the positive things about it. It's the best football sim in the world (because it's the only one, duh). But I guess it's all good since the money keeps coming. Panem et circenses.

This is not a rant. Maybe someone good at reverse engineering can help SI to bring the game to a better state. I'm sorry if I didn't use the correct tenses, English is not my first language, but I'm sure the message will get across.

Panem et circenses.

28 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

After 4 years I reached the conclusion that this is just a game and will never ever be able to replicate real life football, not even come close to it.

try fm17, it's far from perfect of course but it's challenging and has solid ME.

30 minutes ago, Mitja said:

try fm17, it's far from perfect of course but it's challenging and has solid ME.

really tempted to go back and redo everything with a database update from 19 if anyone has done so already as of the jan window, just cant bring myself to it with any FM game atm, it just feels wrong for me anyway. Really lost my trust in the game after hyping it for so many hours 

what do you mean with db update, is there one for fm17? 

5 minutes ago, BigV said:

really tempted to go back and redo everything with a database update from 19 if anyone has done so already as of the jan window, just cant bring myself to it with any FM game atm, it just feels wrong for me anyway. Really lost my trust in the game after hyping it for so many hours 

of course it has issues like different fluidity setups which look unrealistic a little bit, teams are too good at keeping the ball, strikers too easily pick up long balls and are actually too involved in build up but compared to fm19 it feels more like football.

2 hours ago, Mitja said:

what do you mean with db update, is there one for fm17? 

of course it has issues like different fluidity setups which look unrealistic a little bit, teams are too good at keeping the ball, strikers too easily pick up long balls and are actually too involved in build up but compared to fm19 it feels more like football.

There was through the steamworkshop at the start of  FM19's summer, I think it's added from the in game editor however there are players that aren't put in such as most wonderkids we see today but the main ones are I think. But the transfers like sanchez and fred are in there, I think I did half a season before 19 came out and didn't really look into it all that much but when I get the chance i'll send a few scrn shots and research the database a bit more. The attributes seem to be from fm18's rather than the updated 19 so I'll see if there's a better updated version from either the workshop or elsewhere like FM scout or sortitoutsi. 

Yeah definitely but a big thing for me is the updates, a modern type with real new players and areas where 19 succeed always pull me to 19 but at the same time 17 with the ME is wildly better imo and i can't pick to chose which to carry lol. Plus i got really annoyed with the game time thing in 17 where no matter what status you put they always want game time. Might switch it up see if it makes the experience any better. 

• SI Staff
On 24/03/2019 at 10:30, Vali184 said:

You want to play a controlled possession game? Choose attacking mentality. You want to play a controlled possession game? Counter mentality is the way to go.

Just wanted to correct this point here. There is no 'counter' mentality anymore, it was removed because of this very misconception that simply changing your mentality to 'counter' would make your team counter-attack, regardless of your other team instructions.  Your mentality will determine how much risk your players look to take, as well as alter the 'base' level of tempo, passing directness and defensive line. So if you want your team to sit back and absorb pressure, countering when the chance is on but not recklessly, then cautious mentality is best. If you want your team to counter at every opportunity, even if it might leave your team exposed in riskier situations, then choose a more attacking mentality.

Note that none of the tactical style templates are tied to any specific mentality, you're free to change them depending on the situation/level of opposition. This is intentional, you can use any mentality with any style of play. You're not supposed to simply just set your mentality once for your tactic and leave it the same for every match.

You can have a cautious counter-attacking tactic or an attacking one, both are valid. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having a cautious possession-focused approach. I'd suggest if you're having trouble making enjoyable counter-attacking football that you try going to the tactics forum to see if there's any suggestions there. Thanks

On 25/03/2019 at 12:22, Jack Joyce said:

Just wanted to correct this point here. There is no 'counter' mentality anymore, it was removed because of this very misconception that simply changing your mentality to 'counter' would make your team counter-attack, regardless of your other team instructions.  Your mentality will determine how much risk your players look to take, as well as alter the 'base' level of tempo, passing directness and defensive line. So if you want your team to sit back and absorb pressure, countering when the chance is on but not recklessly, then cautious mentality is best. If you want your team to counter at every opportunity, even if it might leave your team exposed in riskier situations, then choose a more attacking mentality.

Note that none of the tactical style templates are tied to any specific mentality, you're free to change them depending on the situation/level of opposition. This is intentional, you can use any mentality with any style of play. You're not supposed to simply just set your mentality once for your tactic and leave it the same for every match.

You can have a cautious counter-attacking tactic or an attacking one, both are valid. Similarly, there's nothing wrong with having a cautious possession-focused approach. I'd suggest if you're having trouble making enjoyable counter-attacking football that you try going to the tactics forum to see if there's any suggestions there. Thanks

but the problem is that mentalities produce different style than claimed in game description and according to football logics. more aggressive mentalities are more direct and thus counter attacking and less aggressive mentalities are more possession minded. also there's a question if mentality is needed anymore especially now after transition instructions are introduced?

• SI Staff
1 hour ago, Mitja said:

but the problem is that mentalities produce different style than claimed in game description and according to football logics. more aggressive mentalities are more direct and thus counter attacking and less aggressive mentalities are more possession minded. also there's a question if mentality is needed anymore especially now after transition instructions are introduced?

I wouldn't say that an attacking mentality being more direct is not according to football logic. Similarly an attacking counter-attacking system will look to counter more often in riskier situations as teams would do in real life. If the descriptions are unclear (and they may well be) then that's another issue, but mentalities are definitely still needed at this point in time.

An easy way to look at mentalities is to think of it as an 'urgency to score' setting. When you're attacking your team will push more urgently for a goal, so will take more risks and play a bit more directly. If you want your team to be more patient and wait for openings then you should use a lower mentality. Think - how much do you want your team to look to force the issue? How many risks should they be taking?

If anyone has any suggestions on how we can improve the descriptions for mentalities then feel free to feedback on that on the match forums (it's a bit off topic here).

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

An easy way to look at mentalities is to think of it as an 'urgency to score' setting. When you're attacking your team will push more urgently for a goal, so will take more risks and play a bit more directly. If you want your team to be more patient and wait for openings then you should use a lower mentality. Think - how much do you want your team to look to force the issue? How many risks should they be taking?

yeah but with attacking mentalities this urgency is what makes them too direct and thus more suitable for counter attacking style and vice versa,possessional style suit more defensive mentalities. while human managers (those who visit this forum often enough) might be awere of that, AI is not and then there are teams playing completely different football than intended, which creates scenario like bellow. Cities playing hoofball and Burnleys tika-taka. 

d49675626ddb411ceea71122f65d8532.png 

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

If anyone has any suggestions on how we can improve the descriptions for mentalities then feel free to feedback on that on the match forums (it's a bit off topic here).

personally i see nothing wrong with descriptions it's the mechanism behind tactical setup that need to be looked at - tactics need to produce style they claim in description. because currently they're not. defensive tactics are far too conservative in terms of ''urgency to score'' and can generate too much possession even against top teams. all real life ''defensive'' tactics rely on men behind ball and quick, direct counter attacks. in FM it's the opposite.

7 hours ago, Mitja said:

mentalities produce different style than claimed in game description and according to football logics

Out of curiosity have you tried using a much more attacking mentality/ park the buss or defensive type to see where this goes? I can agree to some extent but you can still change the directness instructions based with the tempo. Now im not saying that'll work cause i've used the positive mentality with quick tempo and it doesn't work as well as I hoped, tried it with attacking and it was slightly better but never much of a big difference (and yes i've posted in tactics forums and nothing is an "issue"). I've used positive mentality but had a decent amount of possession apposed to the defensive=possession. I'd say test and post it in your sub forum post and if it concludes to your theory then it'd be a problem for the SI to solve. 

53 minutes ago, BigV said:

Out of curiosity have you tried using a much more attacking mentality/ park the buss or defensive type to see where this goes? I can agree to some extent but you can still change the directness instructions based with the tempo. Now im not saying that'll work cause i've used the positive mentality with quick tempo and it doesn't work as well as I hoped, tried it with attacking and it was slightly better but never much of a big difference (and yes i've posted in tactics forums and nothing is an "issue"). I've used positive mentality but had a decent amount of possession apposed to the defensive=possession. I'd say test and post it in your sub forum post and if it concludes to your theory then it'd be a problem for the SI to solve. 

yes i have. try the same tactics on v. defensive and v. attacking and the defensive is lacking any urgency to score. passing will be oriented towards keeping possession in very strange looking fashion. you want tiki taka football (without scoring), very defensive is the way to go. now that wouldn't be a huge issue if the Burnleys wouldn't outpass Cities, without firing a single shot on goal.

what i'm trying to say the game has all the tools to make different football styles look more realistic, only the AI tactical setup logics needs a little change, or maybe mentality needs to be taken out of passing decisioning and urgency.

passing style, tempo, time wasting = mentality (urgency) maybe? why does mentality need to afect and interfere perfectly logical and understandable instructions? 

5 hours ago, Mitja said:

yeah but with attacking mentalities this urgency is what makes them too direct and thus more suitable for counter attacking style and vice versa,possessional style suit more defensive mentalities. while human managers (those who visit this forum often enough) might be awere of that, AI is not and then there are teams playing completely different football than intended, which creates scenario like bellow. Cities playing hoofball and Burnleys tika-taka. 

d49675626ddb411ceea71122f65d8532.png 

personally i see nothing wrong with descriptions it's the mechanism behind tactical setup that need to be looked at - tactics need to produce style they claim in description. because currently they're not. defensive tactics are far too conservative in terms of ''urgency to score'' and can generate too much possession even against top teams. all real life ''defensive'' tactics rely on men behind ball and quick, direct counter attacks. in FM it's the opposite.

This isn't true about attacking mentalities making them too direct. It's not that black and white at all. I'm playing controlled possession football on attacking, Rashidi has got probably the closed man city emulation I've seen for a couple of years using it

Mentality is just one aspect of a tactical set up 

10 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This isn't true about attacking mentalities making them too direct. It's not that black and white at all. I'm playing controlled possession football on attacking, Rashidi has got probably the closed man city emulation I've seen for a couple of years using it

there's a few posts up official reply about attacking mentalities and directness. and i never said humans can't overcome the issues with possession but for AI it looks it can't. all i'm saying is the game has all the tools needed so that FM AI Cities play at least half realistically. because currently they are not.

45 minutes ago, Mitja said:

there's a few posts up official reply about attacking mentalities and directness. and i never said humans can't overcome the issues with possession but for AI it looks it can't. all i'm saying is the game has all the tools needed so that FM AI Cities play at least half realistically. because currently they are not.

But then that's not a mentality issue with directness , that's a potential AI issue with instructions, whether it's within the TC choices or manager preferences. That's something that would need further investigation 

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

No, it isn't that's the point of my and Jack's original post. 

but mentality afects passing directness and urgency with which team wants to score so more attacking mentality means more urgent and thus more direct style. that's also what Simon said. irl this urgency is far from being as pronounced as in FM and it depends mostly on (passing style and) tempo. top teams in league who are forced to play against deep defenses usually play more patient, controling possession in opponents half style. 

2 hours ago, Mitja said:

but mentality afects passing directness and urgency with which team wants to score so more attacking mentality means more urgent and thus more direct style. that's also what Simon said. irl this urgency is far from being as pronounced as in FM and it depends mostly on (passing style and) tempo. top teams in league who are forced to play against deep defenses usually play more patient, controling possession in opponents half style. 

Affects yes, defines no. It's not overly pronounced in FM either 

Again, you're focusing on mentality and missing out the vast number of team instructions that combine with it 

You can absolutely play patient controlling football on higher mentalities. 

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You can absolutely play patient controlling football on higher mentalities

but AI can't or at least it looks like. and AI is whole FM world. willingness to pass back is poor on higher mentalities compared to more defensive. thats why there's whole AI world playing different style than intended with db which is not in line with basic football logics. that's why there are Burnleys outpassing Cities.  

9 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

You can absolutely play patient controlling football on higher mentalities. 

You can but that would be going against the given description would it not? I think the description puts people off to what and when to use. Maybe locking certain stuff using the mentalities or not describing passing length by the word "direct", maybe long ball best describes it in this day and age. 

Just now, Mitja said:

but AI can't or at least it looks like. and AI is whole FM world. willingness to pass back is poor on higher mentalities compared to more defensive. thats why there's whole AI world playing different style than intended with db which is not in line with basic football logics. that's why there are Burnleys outpassing Cities.  

My team pass back quite happily on higher mentalities. Because it's it's not just down to mentality

Again that's not a mentality issue, that's a potential AI issue, or an area AI needs developing in

Just now, BigV said:

You can but that would be going against the given description would it not? I think the description puts people off to what and when to use. Maybe locking certain stuff using the mentalities or not describing passing length by the word "direct", maybe long ball best describes it in this day and age. 

Not really. Mentality is but one aspect. With the number of team instructions, mentality become extremely elastic in what you can do with it. 

The biggest steps FM can take is getting the AI to work outside the box more. 

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

My team pass back quite happily on higher mentalities. Because it's it's not just down to mentality

Again that's not a mentality issue, that's a potential AI issue, or an area AI needs developing in

never said it's only down to mentality but it seems you can't or don't wanr to understand how ''urgency to score'' afects passing decisioning and how defensive teams lack any desire to score, how unrealsitic this fact is and how it afects (AI vs AI) match.

10 minutes ago, BigV said:

You can but that would be going against the given description would it not?

description for more attacking mentalities says it tries to control possession in opponents half. i see no problem with that. it's the too high urgency to score that and other tactical setup like high tempo that makes attacking style too direct especially against defensive teams.

10 minutes ago, Mitja said:

never said it's only down to mentality but it seems you can't or don't wanr to understand how ''urgency to score'' afects passing decisioning and how defensive teams lack any desire to score, how unrealsitic this fact is and how it afects (AI vs AI) match.

Again. It's not the only thing that affects passing decisions. This is the point you refuse to get past. You're entirely fixated on mentality, erroneously so. 

On 26/03/2019 at 21:30, themadsheep2001 said:

Do you have a link to Rashidi's Man City setup?

has something massively changed since signed up to the beta? my Leipzig team went 3 nil down in the first 30 minutes to a rubbish nondescript euro side and in the second match the minnows had 15 shots on goal!

timo warner cant hit a hippos ass with a cello!

inside forwards have now become ineffective.

4231 is now completely dead.

the only players scoring are my MCs outside of the box if I'm lucky.

IMO this has got to be the worst version of FM since 2009...

this is not a fun game anymore. if I wanted to be frustrated, angry and unfulfilled, then I would have stayed at work...

On 26/03/2019 at 14:39, maziero27 said:

I play FM19 on Macbook Pro and I'm very lagged, I already tried the normal version and Beta Public, both with the same problems. Can anybody help me?

What year macbook pro? I am playing on a macbook pro as well and have no lag 

3 hours ago, Bothan Spy said:

has something massively changed since signed up to the beta? my Leipzig team went 3 nil down in the first 30 minutes to a rubbish nondescript euro side and in the second match the minnows had 15 shots on goal!

timo warner cant hit a hippos ass with a cello!

the only players scoring are my MCs outside of the box if I'm lucky.

IMO this has got to be the worst version of FM since 2009...

this is not a fun game anymore. if I wanted to be frustrated, angry and unfulfilled, then I would have stayed at work...

Or maybe your tactics are ineffective. I usea 4231 and i am scoring by the bucketloads. 

5 hours ago, Amarante said:

What year macbook pro? I am playing on a macbook pro as well and have no lag 

Or maybe your tactics are ineffective. I usea 4231 and i am scoring by the bucketloads. 

Is it a downloaded tactic? I just can't seem to get it working! 

Its screenshot from Steam, Stellaris (Paradox Interactive)

Developers made a lot of changes and new content in every patch, but players can choose own favourite version by BETA-version window in properties

If somebody like FM19.3 good for him, but if it were possible I choose ME version which was in Beta with no doubt. For now I just dont play in FM19 at all =(

(Especially if it possible to change only ME and use AI management fixes from 19.3 ^_^)

345717520_Image2.thumb.png.482a870c7212750385ff7b9ddbfaa334.png

17 horas atrás, Bothan Spy disse:

Here is working normally, better than my old 433 in lines I used for years/seasons in the game and lost his effectiveness in the final in the last season.

I'm still finding transfer mechanics deeply suspicious and highly contrived. The below is a classic example - You offer a player out for a few million below than his 'value' in order to raise funds for new signings in other areas. Immediately, multiple AI teams bid identically derisory  amounts, even down to the clauses being the same. No way is this pure chance. I've had up to 8 identical bids for the same player by retesting this. This feature of the game needs a lot of work for it to feel fair and credible.

image.thumb.png.974be506c6d2d95e58345a39b7fe066a.png

6 horas atrás, rdbayly disse:

I'm still finding transfer mechanics deeply suspicious and highly contrived. The below is a classic example - You offer a player out for a few million below than his 'value' in order to raise funds for new signings in other areas. Immediately, multiple AI teams bid identically derisory  amounts, even down to the clauses being the same. No way is this pure chance. I've had up to 8 identical bids for the same player by retesting this. This feature of the game needs a lot of work for it to feel fair and credible.

image.thumb.png.974be506c6d2d95e58345a39b7fe066a.png

You're forgeting the importance of agents in negotiations. When a club puts a player on the market, he's basically telling his agent "hey, we're putting your player on sale, our conditions are this, this and that, find clubs that meet this demands and he can go". So the agent go do his job, and then comes back with the list of clubs that meet those demands. The club accepts the offers and the player chooses who gives the best contract / the club he prefers to play on.

5 hours ago, 99 said:

You're forgeting the importance of agents in negotiations. When a club puts a player on the market, he's basically telling his agent "hey, we're putting your player on sale, our conditions are this, this and that, find clubs that meet this demands and he can go". So the agent go do his job, and then comes back with the list of clubs that meet those demands. The club accepts the offers and the player chooses who gives the best contract / the club he prefers to play on.

This doesn't stand up, as my conditions have not been met. All bids made in this case were both identical in nature, and identical in their failure to be anywhere near what I asked for the player. 

• Administrators
On 26/03/2019 at 19:39, maziero27 said:

I play FM19 on Macbook Pro and I'm very lagged, I already tried the normal version and Beta Public, both with the same problems. Can anybody help me?

There seems to be a problem with the Mac OS update of 10.14.4 and it's something we're looking into. Can you confirm you're on this OS? 

14 minutos atrás, Neil Brock disse:

There seems to be a problem with the Mac OS update of 10.14.4 and it's something we're looking into. Can you confirm you're on this OS? 

Sorry my bad English again

Yes, confirming that it is in Mojave Macos and in update 10.14.4

• Administrators
57 minutes ago, maziero27 said:

Sorry my bad English again

Yes, confirming that it is in Mojave Macos and in update 10.14.4

Okay thanks for letting us know. 

• Administrators

We've just released a public beta version 19.3.5. This contains some further stability fixes and also improvements to the lagging issues some users are experiencing on OSX 10.14.4.

Thanks. 

Archived