Sports Interactive Community

So, a week ago I was playing fm16 as Bharat FC (Indian National Football League). In my team, there was one thing I noticed most was that stats didn't really matter! For example- A ball playing defender with defend duty has stats like - Tackling-8, Marking-6 Anticipation-10 and other attributes even worse plays better than another defender with same role and duty and attributes like Tackling-11 Marking-13 Anticipation-15 and other attrubutes also better than the above. Similarly, in Forward, two deep lying forwards play together, one has stats  like  Finishing-4 Dribbling-5 Acceleration-11 Stamina-10 Pace-14 and the other has stats like Finishing-9 Dribbling-6 Acceleration-10 Pace-12 and former has scored around 30 goals this season whereas the latterhas scored just 8.

Notice  that in both the cases the age of the players are same

Attributes ( not stats:) ) do matter but how effective they are will depend on player roles, hidden attributes and how the team tactic is set up.  You can see the most important attributes for each position and each role within that position.

Looking at your strikers, there is no mention of composure, technique, anticipation etc, which will have an effect on how goal scoring chances are converted, so you can't compare players based on just a few attributes.

4 hours ago, FrazT said:

Attributes ( not stats:) ) do matter but how effective they are will depend on player roles, hidden attributes and how the team tactic is set up.  You can see the most important attributes for each position and each role within that position.

Looking at your strikers, there is no mention of composure, technique, anticipation etc, which will have an effect on how goal scoring chances are converted, so you can't compare players based on just a few attributes.

I already told that other attributes are too different that is the scorer has low and the one with goal draught has high 😐

2 minutes ago, AshKing15 said:

I already told that other attributes are too different that is the scorer has low and the one with goal draught has high 😐

There's a lot that goes into finishing off a chance.

Firstly, looking at attributes (and adding to what Fraz said), there's Composure, Decisions, Balance (very underrated, imo) and footedness that will all have an effect on finishing ability, including of course, Finishing. The attributes you do mention like dribbling and pace/acc will not affect the finishing itself and might not even be relevant in getting the finishing chances. If it's just a poacher type player, he just needs to be in the box and find space (off the ball) and finish off the chance, so his dribbling and pace is irrelevant.

Getting the actual chances is another factor, so Off the Ball, Anticipation and Decisions will be important.

Then there's the question of your tactical setup. You say both play as DLF and they play together, so you have 2x DLFs up front? What about their supply? Is your tactic maybe set up so that one gets supplied more, so has more chances to score?

Are there headed goals involved? Because that obviously uses a different set of attributes.

Ive always wondered what the average attributes values are for each league , ive always gone by 16 being Prem 14 being championship etc... but as the FM moves on and gets more realistic i wondered if the attribute values for leagues have changed , is it just the important attributes on each role that need to be these values ?

1 hour ago, coolestrock said:

Ive always wondered what the average attributes values are for each league , ive always gone by 16 being Prem 14 being championship etc... but as the FM moves on and gets more realistic i wondered if the attribute values for leagues have changed , is it just the important attributes on each role that need to be these values ?

You can see those in the Team Comparison page.

18 minutes ago, Snorks said:

You can see those in the Team Comparison page.

where does it give the average though on FM 2018 (still finishing off a save) , it gives the highest average , the lowest average , the there is a line in the middle , but no actual number next to it , or is just best to try and go for the highest ?

It gives you the highest team in the league, the lowest in the league, and your team's figure. It also indicates whether you are above, below or at average compared to other teams.

I don't think there is a set number for each level, as these are dynamic and will change as players improve or move clubs, it also only looks at your first team squad so be careful you have the right players in the right squads when you look at it.

Some attributes are low anyway, so an 'average' attribute for prem league might be 16  but making up that average are mentals, physicals and technicals. League 2 you would expect some areas to be lower. It depends on the attribute.

Edited by Snorks

Attributes matter, but hidden mental traits are even more important.

Namely Consistency and, to a lesser extent, Important Matches.

21 ore fa, AshKing15 ha scritto:

Finishing-4 Dribbling-5 Acceleration-11 Stamina-10 Pace-14 and the other has stats like Finishing-9 Dribbling-6 Acceleration-10 Pace-12 and former has scored around 30 goals this season whereas the latterhas scored just 8.

Our old buddies Acceleration and Pace are probably another huge factor, as it has been the case (especially in lower leagues/smaller nations).

There isn't much separating the two in fairness, but a bit of extra Acc and a higher Pace are likely enough to turn a mediocre forward into a dangerous one just because he can sprint past defenders despite probably tripping over his own feet if he tries to dribble and will likely need 5 chances to convert one...

So it can be just a matter of the "better" player being inconsistent (thus playing fewer games at his full potential) and then of one striker taking advantage of his pace

1 hour ago, coolestrock said:

Thanks , ive never really used the comparison screen in all the years ive played FM 

I rarely did until FM18- now it's where I work out what team training is needed, what I need my scouts to find, basis of the tactic best suited to the players - you can draw an awful lot of inofrmaiton from it, especially early n in a save. I now check it every six months.

1 hour ago, Snorks said:

I rarely did until FM18- now it's where I work out what team training is needed, what I need my scouts to find, basis of the tactic best suited to the players - you can draw an awful lot of inofrmaiton from it, especially early n in a save. I now check it every six months.

I wish you could filter by squad status though. I feel like there's a lot of noise to the average values with all the backup players included (from AI teams as well).

But it's my go to for working out what Pos and OTB I want on my first team by comparing them to the highest league value.

3 hours ago, RBKalle said:

Attributes matter, but hidden mental traits are even more important.

Namely Consistency and, to a lesser extent, Important Matches.

every now and then I do editor saves and I glance at the newgens, seeing a 195 PA with low consistency or high injury proneness is sad because you know they will never get close to that PA

Attributes for the position you want to play him in, matter. More so some mental attributes as well. Decisions. Determination. Work rate. Of course, depends what style you play. 

And then their preferred moves. If it fits with the role, then it will be more effective. 

In the reports you can see some other "hidden" attributes.

Injury prone. For me a no no - scared by Giuseppe Rossi at Fiorentina. Brilliant player but played maybe 5 games total? What's the use?

Consistency and shows up for big games. I love to see that. Means I can count on that guy. 

Personality. You have a guy who will train and not complain the whole time and squad management is much easier. 

And with Dynamics, if someone fits in your social groups then the team gels faster. 

Looks like  I will  have to upload the tactic setup so that every thing can get  clear and also the exact stats of the player... 🤔😕

Whilst the individual attributes do matter they aren't the only the thing to consider.

How a player performs in a specific role & duty will be affected by the attributes they have.

Each player will bring something different to a particular role depending on the values they have in different attributes.

You can't really look at just finishing in isolation when comparing 2 players.

All the other attributes make the player who he is, and they collectively influence his game.

It's a very organic, holistic thing .. which is why it can be so confusing at times.