[FM19][WIP]The Four Nations Project (Fictional DB)

fournations.png

The Four Nations Project: A fictional database by Lawlore

Four years ago, I attempted an ambitious project, which never quite saw the light of day.

With the release of FM19, I'm that little bit older and wiser, and I'm up for trying again.

The Concept

Four completely fictional nations, separated from the rest of the world, with only players from those four nations eligible. Essentially, this is a mini fictional world.

The Nations & Competitions

Marblemoor
- Four national divisions, each containing 16 teams. Three promoted, three relegated. Bottom division has one relegated to non-league.
- Cup competition will contain 64 league teams and 64 non-league teams.

Franxia
- Two regional divisions, each containing 16 teams. Playoff championship match between the two regional division winners to crown the champions.
- Cup competition will contain 32 league teams.

New Elizabeth
- Four regional divisions, each containing 8 teams. Four regional champions go into a championship playoff to crown the champions.
- Cup competition will contain 32 league teams.

Baird Colonies
- Three different regional structures, one for each of the three colonies:
- Bleathe has one division of 22 teams.
- Lennox has four local divisions of 6 teams, with playoffs for the local winners.
- Whitewater has two tiered divisions of 9 teams, with two promoted and two relegated.
- The three Colony Champions go into a three-team round robin to crown the Baird Colonies Champions.
- Cup competition will contain 64 teams.

Champions Cup
Competition featuring the four league winners and four cup winners (TBC).

Planned/Completed Artwork

- Nation flags.
- Competition and team badges.
- Home and away kits for all teams.
- League and club-specific ad boards.

Other Information

Last time around, I got bogged down in player creation and that ultimately saw the project die a death. While the goal is still to create fictional players and staff for all teams, given that FM still hasn't progressed in this respect, I am this time going to prioritise getting the structures for all four nations in place first, to get it into a releasable state. This should be achievable sooner rather than later, but please do not request release dates. This is a long-term WIP, and I will release if and when I feel things are ready, including anyone interested in testing. This is a one-man project undertaken in my spare time, so progress is likely to be slow but steady, and I'm a bit rusty, but after the failure last time, I'm even more determined to get this out in the wild. Adding a fourth nation makes a lot of the numbers easier, and I'm keen to learn from my mistakes last time and change my order of operations accordingly. Fingers crossed.

Thanks. The previous version had one of the nations basically complete and functional with 18 players per team and all the graphics set up, so I'm optimistic there can be good progress.

Ok, a minor update. To get this underway, I've been consolidating the existing graphics to see where the project was left previously and where there's still more work on that side to be done. The results are as follows:

Marblemoor (64 league teams, 64 non-league) - all Division 1-4 teams have kits and badges created. About 50% of non-league teams have kits created, with a few also having badges.

Franxia (32) - all teams in both regional divisions have kits and badges created.

New Elizabeth (32) - all teams in all four regional leagues have kits and badges created.

Baird Colonies (64) - all teams have kits created, none have badges yet.

That is... more than I remember being done. That's no bad thing. Obviously graphics are not the top priority, compared with getting the data files etc. ready, but they do very much assist with the immersion into a world once everything is ready in terms of testing the database.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've started with Franxia this time around- here's a sneak peek at the teams in their leagues and a few of the graphics for the top side in the country, Danecaster Arrows.

The idea behind the nation is one where there is about a 50/50 split between English and French citizens, having been settled by both at different times, with the nation replacing New Caledonia in the database. The basic structure of the Franxia League is two evenly-matched divisions, the Franxia English League and the Franxia French League, with each featuring teams based in either English or French cities. Both leagues crown a regional champion, with a championship match between the two league winners crowning an overall champion at the end of the season. The nation also features a standard knockout domestic cup, the Franxia National Cup, featuring all 32 teams with no seeding.

Still a bit to do from a data perspective- the next steps will be getting some staff and stadiums set up- but it's coming along nicely.

franxiapreview.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So, how dead is this? NOT AT ALL!

I mean, my desktop PC died a death before Xmas, so I've been stuck using the girlfriend's laptop since then. No FM Editor going on there, unfortunately. However, I now have a shiny new PC and am currently populating it with Steam's finest. Once I have the Editor redownloaded, I'll see where the latest save file is at (saved to an external HD before the PC died) and provide a more in-depth update. Off the top of my head, I believe I had just got the regional Franxia league system with an end-of-season playoff working.

In the mean time, I've been all over creating kits for Marblemoor's non-league teams, so that country is going to be especially fleshed out.

• 2 weeks later...
Em 15/03/2019 em 01:15, Lawlore disse:

So, how dead is this? NOT AT ALL!

I mean, my desktop PC died a death before Xmas, so I've been stuck using the girlfriend's laptop since then. No FM Editor going on there, unfortunately. However, I now have a shiny new PC and am currently populating it with Steam's finest. Once I have the Editor redownloaded, I'll see where the latest save file is at (saved to an external HD before the PC died) and provide a more in-depth update. Off the top of my head, I believe I had just got the regional Franxia league system with an end-of-season playoff working.

In the mean time, I've been all over creating kits for Marblemoor's non-league teams, so that country is going to be especially fleshed out.

Glad to hear it! Thank you so much!

Edited by Farripas

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...