Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
3LionsFM

Width options (att + def)

Which are the best options for attacking and defensive width to ensure a greater likelihood of retaining possession?  Thanks! 

I would be interested in it too. From what I see from Pep I was led to believe that all his teams attack extremely widely, and defend really really narrowly. But that is positional play, not the only way to achieve possession, and frankly something that I (right now) doubt can be implemented. But in FM terms, you might want to create a role/duty combination that creates movement and worry about the team instructions later.

In FM18, I always found that you needed to reduce the width with a short passing game in order to retain possession. If you wanted to retain possession with greater width you could do so with standard passing, a lower mentality, less aggressive roles and many players on support

Having the opportunity to set both defensive and attacking width in FM19 is interesting. I'm assuming that if you set 'wide in possession' and 'narrow out of possession' you will encounter fitness, speed and transitional problems depending on your players

It's best to consider what formation you're facing. Generally, you would say that narrow width is best for keeping the ball since your players are closer together but if you are against a narrow formation, playing narrow is playing right into their hands. In that case you may want to play wider and stretch them. 

Another thing to consider isnt just the position they end up in, but how they get there. 

I. E. If you defend narrow and attack wide... There will be more time needed to transition into shape... So you might want to slow things down (play out of defence) to allow the time. 

The wings seem the more dangerous area of the pitch in fm, so im currently defending wide and attacking wide... But trying to boost possession (and focussing just on that)...as nabs said, will depend on the opponent and where they are conceding space