Sports Interactive Community
TheJanitor

FM19: Liverpool - Success Has Many Fathers

5 minutes ago, mersk said:

Yeah but that's incredibly boring football though... in my opinion anyway.

It is, definitely, and far too easy to win with.

I switched formation this season to no wingers (32212) to make it a bit harder...and more varied.

16 hours ago, dannysheard said:

Yeah, I couldn't get anything out of them as IF. I ended up playing them as wingers on their natural sides and they were much better (at exploiting crosses).

I often find playing a winger on his opposite foot (i.e., Mane on w-s as a lw) to be very effective.  They still naturally cut inside (especially if they have ppm to cut inside), but they stay wider a little longer and can really be effective against a deep, narrow defense.

Is anyone scoring an inordinate amount of corners?  I'm scoring a corner almost every game and I can't figure out if it's a fluke, if my corner routine is an exploit or if the team of enormous human beings that I've assemble coupled with demigod TAA taking corners is just destined to score at a ridiculous rate.  On a side note, I kind of think that playing with TAA his equivalent to cheating.  He is absolutely amazing.

11 hours ago, jakem016 said:

Is anyone scoring an inordinate amount of corners?  I'm scoring a corner almost every game and I can't figure out if it's a fluke, if my corner routine is an exploit or if the team of enormous human beings that I've assemble coupled with demigod TAA taking corners is just destined to score at a ridiculous rate.  On a side note, I kind of think that playing with TAA his equivalent to cheating.  He is absolutely amazing.

Its because of the issues with the Match engine. Lack of forward movement rsulting in no through balls which results in the ball going to the wing and then wide players dwelling on the ball and it always going out for corners. 

All the issues are in the ME bugs forum. They are why im not playing atm, cant play how i like.

I've just sold Firmino in Jan 19' for £110m to Real Madrid. He wasn't getting very good numbers for me and I'd been playing his in the AMC position.

Just struggling to find a replacement. Any got any advice/suggestions?

22 minutes ago, JRoberts2 said:

I've just sold Firmino in Jan 19' for £110m to Real Madrid. He wasn't getting very good numbers for me and I'd been playing his in the AMC position.

Just struggling to find a replacement. Any got any advice/suggestions?

I also sold him for around that much and he has been crazy good for them the past 10 months or so. Was decent for me but with the ME not favoring forwards, I took the cash. Look at a guy named Gerard Moreno for a cheap replacement. 39m Euro buy out. Has been solid for me and scored some fancy goals. 

Enjoying my first Liverpool save on FM19 (Touch, on iPad)

Won the Premier League in Season 1, and Season 2 I won the Premier League, Champs League and FA Cup (and lost on pens in the League Cup final)

In pre-season of season 3 and had a mega clear-out of star players who were approaching 30 - Van Dijk, Henderson, Firmino and Mane all gone for between 70-100M each.

Also sold Frenkie de Jong for 70M (a 50M profit) as not sure how to play him.  His defensive stats are too weak to be a DM so played him as an attackign central midfielder, but despite me training his shooting for 2 years, his Finishing stat never moved from 7.

So team approaching Season 3 is

Allisson

TAA, Gomez, De Ligt, Robertson

Fabinho, Pellegrini, Tonali

Salah, Arp, Sancho

Subs :  Vagnoman, Milenkovic, Nathan Wood, Tymon, Declan Rice, Curtis Jones, Gravenbach, Foden, Geubbels, Woodburn

Edited by Burty76

Is it worth starting a long save with Liverpool or should I hold off until ME bugs are fixed?

6 hours ago, figano said:

Is it worth starting a long save with Liverpool or should I hold off until ME bugs are fixed?

ME changes carry over to new saves anyway so you can start it if you like, even if it's just to complete the first transfer window and preseason.

Season 3 transfers were relatively uneventful. Already had a decent sized squad so just wanted to clear it up a bit.

Brought in Tonali, Cuisance and one cheap regen.

Sold Mane, Keita, Origi, Grujic, Solanke. Loaned out some guys I couldn't sell.

Tried to get rid of Fabinho and Henderson but couldn't for the life of me get an offer.

Managed to sell 31 year old Jordan Henderson to Manchester City for 75m!

He had just captained the side to 2 successive league titles and a CL title, although not featuring as first choice. 

City made a bid of around 47m and I thought I'd be cheeky and ask for 75m expecting them to bid at around 55m, but no they comply and match my requested bid upfront! 

Would be interesting to see how much more I could have got out of them... He's now playing as fernandinho's replacement in their 4123 formation. 

He moved to City for big money in my save as well, not playing as Liverpool.

Henderson is pretty damn overrated in the game which leads to these woefully unrealistic transfers. His technicals are far too good for how limited he actually is IRL, he needs to have good mentals but very mediocre technicals & physicals. His next stop IRL will not be a Manchester City, it will be bottom\mid table team.

Similar to Lallana although not quite as overrated. Clyne also massively overrated considering the year he's had. Maybe it's just because I know these players so closely as a supporter but I feel a good number are overrated, while maybe Ox and Keita are a bit underrated. Van Dijk too while great perhaps deserve even more of a boost in the January update, he is well and truly one of the best CB's in the world now IRL but is just 'great' in FM19. And obviously Gomez deserves a CA boost and should get 'Brings Ball out Defence' trait while Van Dijk arguably shouldn't have it.

Gone on a real tangent haha. But hey.

Edited by bar333

On 05/12/2018 at 12:15, bar333 said:

He moved to City for big money in my save as well, not playing as Liverpool.

Henderson is pretty damn overrated in the game which leads to these woefully unrealistic transfers. His technicals are far too good for how limited he actually is IRL, he needs to have good mentals but very mediocre technicals & physicals. His next stop IRL will not be a Manchester City, it will be bottom\mid table team.

Similar to Lallana although not quite as overrated. Clyne also massively overrated considering the year he's had. Maybe it's just because I know these players so closely as a supporter but I feel a good number are overrated, while maybe Ox and Keita are a bit underrated. Van Dijk too while great perhaps deserve even more of a boost in the January update, he is well and truly one of the best CB's in the world now IRL but is just 'great' in FM19. And obviously Gomez deserves a CA boost and should get 'Brings Ball out Defence' trait while Van Dijk arguably shouldn't have it.

Gone on a real tangent haha. But hey.

I disagree with most of this actually.

Henderson might have a couple technical attributes overrated, but his physicals aren't. And saying his next stop will be a bottom/midtable team is just a strange prediction. Granted he won't go to City for £90m as he did in my save, but he's not exactly dead weight either. Clyne is definitely not overrated, he was just injured for basically a year and seems to not be the type of fullback Klopp is looking for, but he's always been an extremely solid and consistent defender. His attributes reflect this; he's not a very attacking fullback. The only reason he's doing well in FM is because most fullbacks get to do a thousand crosses each game so they rack up assists and high ratings.

Keita has 170 PA which is very high. Ox is at 156 which is 2 below Henderson, I don't think he's underrated.

As for van Dijk, he's a monster at 174 which is the same as Ramos and Bonucci, 2 higher than Varane and 3 higher than Hummels. He's already considered cream of the crop as far as centrebacks go. Not to mention he often brings the ball out of defence, he just doesn't do it all the time. A lot of the time he switches play too (which is reflected through the "tries long range passes"), but I'd rather say there's work needed in how the ME handles PPM's.

Edited by mersk

To relax during that game, I finally started my season with Liverpool.

It was a pretty relaxing experience :D

8yahZy3.png

Playing the default Gegenpressing 4-3-3.

3 hours ago, glenn28 said:

Playing 4-2-3-1 & getting the best out of Shaqirl 

It is my 2nd tactic. In the beta Shaqiri was great for me in that tactic.

4 hours ago, salkster2102 said:

How are we finding the 19.2 update?

I need to try a few more games, but so far im still not impressed. 

Kinda wish i didnt bother this year :(

On 03/12/2018 at 23:25, figano said:

They won't be fixed. So might as well start.

9 hours ago, salkster2102 said:

How are we finding the 19.2 update?

I definitely feel like I'm scoring some better goals now, a few more that are not from crosses.

Its a bit better with the crosses not being blocked all the time, but still very little central play and forwards/striker movement :(

What's everyone's approach to Sturridge and Origi? Sturridge is doing well when called upon, but his wages demands are crazy. Origi is meh for me but has some resell value.

9 hours ago, TheJanitor said:

What's everyone's approach to Sturridge and Origi? Sturridge is doing well when called upon, but his wages demands are crazy. Origi is meh for me but has some resell value.

Origi has been great for me.  I resigned him at his same wage at the beginning of my save and loaned him to Newcastle.  He was one of the top 2 or 3 scorers in the league after half a season and I recalled him after selling Sturridge to Tottenham for 31 million pounds.  Origi struggled for much of the second half, but I was trying to play him as a support striker and once I changed his role to a cf-a he's really played well.  In my 2nd season he's scoring 1.28 goals/90 mins so far as a backup and I couldn't be happier.  Sturridge on the other hand has failed to impress at Tottenham and is transfer listed.  We also played Tottenham in the UCL final and he had the opportunity to beat us in penalty shootout and missed, but we still ended losing on penalties.

image.thumb.png.53dc6fa1f958214a2fc08d9be23a2457.png

Edited by jakem016
Original picture included international appearances

Finally reached January:

yoNHJgi.png

Mostly playing 433, breaking the 4231 occasionally. Started off just battering teams, including 7-0 against Newcastle, 6-2 versus Arsenal, and beating Manchester United 3-0. Suffered through injuries with Firmino, Salah, Mane, Henderson and now Keita, who is out for 2-3 months (took a sharp Stamina drop as well, from 17 to 15. Hope he would be able to regain it).

In terms of transfers, I just made my first, signing Josha Vagnoman. I intend him to be my long-term deputy to TAA, but since Moreno requested a transfer, I will give him a run as backup LB.

My best player has been Salah with 10 goals and 8 assists in 23 starts. Firmino and Mane both got 8 goals and 2 assists, the former in 18 starts and the latter in 21.

Meeting Real Madrid in the first knockouts round :)

Cant get motivated with this years FM, every game looks the same, follows the same formula no matter the opponent, it feels more work than play even though its my beloved Liverpool.

Havent noticed any ME changes in game but OTOH i dont know if the game has updated, do you know if you do that manually or if it happens automatically?

Edited by eye-switcher

14 minutes ago, eye-switcher said:

Cant get motivated with this years FM, every game looks the same, follows the same formula no matter the opponent, it feels more work than play even though its my beloved Liverpool.

Havent noticed any ME changes in game but OTOH i dont know if the game has updated, do you know if you do that manually or if it happens automatically?

The game should update automatically. You can check ingame by clicking the FM icon and then 'Game Status' near the bottom of the list. Current version is 19.2.0-1173367 (m.e v1922).

16 minutes ago, mersk said:

The game should update automatically. You can check ingame by clicking the FM icon and then 'Game Status' near the bottom of the list. Current version is 19.2.0-1173367 (m.e v1922).

Thanks!

Done season 1 won the premier league,Champions league & league cup only fa cup I didn’t win Salah got 32 goals in all comps season 2 will be interesting with VAR in it 

5 minutes ago, glenn28 said:

Done season 1 won the premier league,Champions league & league cup only fa cup I didn’t win Salah got 32 goals in all comps season 2 will be interesting with VAR in it 

Pretty similar to me in season one. I changed formation in season two to a 32212 to make it more of a challenge and won most things but not CL.

I changed to a 4411 for season three and won all domestic, but not CL.

Interestingly, I went back to preferred 41221 for season four and won league, EL and CL.

Going to a 4231 for season five and the challenge is to win CL with a different formation.

I'm £600m+ up on transfers so far, so I can buy the new stadium for cash ☺

Has anyone managed to sign Kane or Sterling? I'm starting the third season and looking to sign one of them to play as a pressing forward. I have offered close to 200m for Kane but still they won't accept. Sterling is upset that City won't let him go so I'm gonna keep trying. I want Kane but if I only get Sterling I'll retrain him to a pressing forward attack. You guys think this will work?

3 hours ago, joekim87 said:

Has anyone managed to sign Kane or Sterling? I'm starting the third season and looking to sign one of them to play as a pressing forward. I have offered close to 200m for Kane but still they won't accept. Sterling is upset that City won't let him go so I'm gonna keep trying. I want Kane but if I only get Sterling I'll retrain him to a pressing forward attack. You guys think this will work?

I think there are way better options out there, and no player is worth £200m.

7 hours ago, joekim87 said:

I've got Lincoln up front for me and he's decent...just scored a peach to win me CL.

How does everyone set up training? Do you do it yourself or leave it to your assistant? Finding training really hard in this game 

1 hour ago, figano said:

How does everyone set up training? Do you do it yourself or leave it to your assistant? Finding training really hard in this game 

I let my ass Man do it 

13 hours ago, dannysheard said:

I've got Lincoln up front for me and he's decent...just scored a peach to win me CL.

I am only trying to sign players from the UK and Ireland.... I need to pay a premium  and I don't mind because the best are worth it.

I got Sterling for 67m pounds (100m including incentives for goals and appearances which he'll get activate over the coming 2 or 3 seasons). Playing pressing forward and inside forward on the left and has scored one and assisted two in one and half games so far. Pretty quality signing so far. Very happy.

Season 2 hasn’t gone well for me so far just been knocked out in the group stage of the champions league injuries have cost me this campaign 

I tried to keep playing, was winning, top of the league etc.....but the match engine still produces the most boring football. Still no movement from the front players and chances always come from wide players. its just not fun.

I think im done till the 19.3 patch.....and i'm seriously considering not getting the next version.

On 18/12/2018 at 23:50, ckny said:

So you can make four substitutions in the Carabao Cup now?  Tactic must be good.

Yes, in Extra Time you can use a 4th substitution.

The rule was approved by FIFA for the World Cup back in March 2018. The Fa Cup, however, has been using the rule since the start of the 2016/17 season. And starting from the current 2018/19 season, the 4th substitution rule is also in play in the Champions League and Europa League after UEFA approved it.

For the Carabao Cup, the 4th substitution rule is only in play in the Final. The reason for this is that there is no Extra Time in the earlier rounds; games go straight to a Penalty Shootout.

EDIT: In fact this rule was in play last year as well, but was not implemented in FM 18 due to "technical difficulties" or however you wanna call it (ie. they couldn't implement it in time because it proved more complex than simply adding a rule).

Edited by mersk

23 hours ago, Siven said:

I tried to keep playing, was winning, top of the league etc.....but the match engine still produces the most boring football. Still no movement from the front players and chances always come from wide players. its just not fun.

I think im done till the 19.3 patch.....and i'm seriously considering not getting the next version.

Ah really? After the update patch my guys are playing much more interesting football. Some great over the top and through balls and a lot less players shooting with an open square ball in the box etc. What tactic you using?

Completed season 2 though didnt have the success i did in season 1 won the Euro supercup.Comm Shield,World club championship & the Europa league so wasnt easy as some make out to be 

Surprised how quiet this years thread is finished season 3 winning the premier league losing 1 game all season & won the fa cup as well will stop playing end of Jan then get ready for 19.3 

13 hours ago, glenn28 said:

Surprised how quiet this years thread is finished season 3 winning the premier league losing 1 game all season & won the fa cup as well will stop playing end of Jan then get ready for 19.3 

getting crash dumps in my save so not really getting into it

17 hours ago, Staf9 said:

getting crash dumps in my save so not really getting into it

Could be your video drivers which could need updating otherwise visit the troubleshooting page somewhere in the forum 

Finished my first season by winning domestic treble. Reached the quarter-final of the CL, but lost to Real Madrid in a late, dramatic fashion.

In terms of signing, I wanted to take the approach of being loyal to my starting squad, and sign mostly young players with scope to grow who will gradually replace my starting players. These are my first season signings:

xNPIW9j.png

Only major departure was Moreno, who was on his final years and complaining about lack of game time. Markovic was never going to last past this and Solanke, Grabara and Masterson went on successful loans.

Josha Vagnoman was signed as a long-term replacement to Nathaniel Clyne as more defensively-minded RB to rotate with TAA. However, after Moreno's departure, he became Robertson deputy and was a revelation. Max Broughton was spotted by my scouts and joined for peanuts. A CB by trade, his attributes are more suited for a midfielder. Haven't developed much since his arrival, but if he could turn some of those 11s and 12s into 14s and 15s, he will be a decent player.

Saw this article a few days ago:

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3720726/liverpools-renaissance-in-the-transfer-market-is-a-prime-driver-of-their-premier-league-title-challenge

And decided to keep the approach of signing quality youngsters, generally with a good personality, that are on my shortlist for a while. This while keeping hold of my key players. This is my summer window:

lEN03SW.png

Wilson, Woodburn, and Grujic haven't developed much on their recent loans and were sent again to hopefully get better next season. Mignolet was shipped off to PSG, as I felt like it was time for him to move on. I want to be loyal, but I want my players to have a good career. For this reason, Origi was loaned. He was pretty bad for me last season and it doesn't look like he got much chance of getting game time for my side. The one departure that I was sad about was Clyne, but he was a back-up player and wanted to join Arsenal, so I was happy to oblige.

Nathaniel Clyne's departure allowed me to make my biggest signing in Ryan Sessegnon. Shelled quite a few for him, but he looks so good. I want to be England's Bayern Munich, getting the best players of my club's nation, and I didn't spent much up to this point, no point having virtual money in the bank. My other big signing was Kristoffer Ajer, who will be my future DLP, but he is versatile enough to also be an option as Van Dijk's long-term replacement.

Vagnoman was joined by his former HSV teammate, Fiete Arp, who I triggered his £14m release clause. Another player from Germany who's clause was triggered was Timo Horn, who will replace Migs as Alisson's cover.

And finally, Andy Tucker and Paul Wood and regens who are more of a long-term project. Wood in particular looks promising.

So far I'm pretty pleased about how the save is going. Only issue is Alisson being unhappy. He wanted a new contract, but his current one running until 2024 and his demands are stupid. Tried to get his teammates to talk him out of it, but isn't willing to listen. Anyone got tips for this situation?

21 minutes ago, TheJanitor said:

Finished my first season by winning domestic treble. Reached the quarter-final of the CL, but lost to Real Madrid in a late, dramatic fashion.

In terms of signing, I wanted to take the approach of being loyal to my starting squad, and sign mostly young players with scope to grow who will gradually replace my starting players. These are my first season signings:

xNPIW9j.png

Only major departure was Moreno, who was on his final years and complaining about lack of game time. Markovic was never going to last past this and Solanke, Grabara and Masterson went on successful loans.

Josha Vagnoman was signed as a long-term replacement to Nathaniel Clyne as more defensively-minded RB to rotate with TAA. However, after Moreno's departure, he became Robertson deputy and was a revelation. Max Broughton was spotted by my scouts and joined for peanuts. A CB by trade, his attributes are more suited for a midfielder. Haven't developed much since his arrival, but if he could turn some of those 11s and 12s into 14s and 15s, he will be a decent player.

Saw this article a few days ago:

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/3720726/liverpools-renaissance-in-the-transfer-market-is-a-prime-driver-of-their-premier-league-title-challenge

And decided to keep the approach of signing quality youngsters, generally with a good personality, that are on my shortlist for a while. This while keeping hold of my key players. This is my summer window:

lEN03SW.png

Wilson, Woodburn, and Grujic haven't developed much on their recent loans and were sent again to hopefully get better next season. Mignolet was shipped off to PSG, as I felt like it was time for him to move on. I want to be loyal, but I want my players to have a good career. For this reason, Origi was loaned. He was pretty bad for me last season and it doesn't look like he got much chance of getting game time for my side. The one departure that I was sad about was Clyne, but he was a back-up player and wanted to join Arsenal, so I was happy to oblige.

Nathaniel Clyne's departure allowed me to make my biggest signing in Ryan Sessegnon. Shelled quite a few for him, but he looks so good. I want to be England's Bayern Munich, getting the best players of my club's nation, and I didn't spent much up to this point, no point having virtual money in the bank. My other big signing was Kristoffer Ajer, who will be my future DLP, but he is versatile enough to also be an option as Van Dijk's long-term replacement.

Vagnoman was joined by his former HSV teammate, Fiete Arp, who I triggered his £14m release clause. Another player from Germany who's clause was triggered was Timo Horn, who will replace Migs as Alisson's cover.

And finally, Andy Tucker and Paul Wood and regens who are more of a long-term project. Wood in particular looks promising.

So far I'm pretty pleased about how the save is going. Only issue is Alisson being unhappy. He wanted a new contract, but his current one running until 2024 and his demands are stupid. Tried to get his teammates to talk him out of it, but isn't willing to listen. Anyone got tips for this situation?

in terms of Alisson, he won World Goalkeeper of the year in first and second seasons (he's a beast), so I have him £200k per week. Just sold him for £100m in middle of sixth season.