Sports Interactive Community
WhyMe

Position retraining for young players

Hi, I have always been a fan of young player development and in particular finding a player with great attributes for a specific position that is different to his generated position, e.g. Thierry Henry becoming a striker from a winger or Hector Bellerin becoming a fullback from a winger.  In FM terms these players started out natural in one position but were converted to become naturals in their new position.  So much so in fact that they are no longer natural in their original position having played the vast majority of their professional careers in the new position.

However, the degree to which we can do this in FM 19 seems to be very limited and I suspect there may be a bug with it.  I have attempted to retrain several players to new positions albeit only slight adjustments to their original.  For example, I have attempted to convert a natural DMC into an MC, something my coaches tell me should be very possible yet now they are telling me he can't progress past competent despite also still telling me that he can be successfully converted in a central midfielder.  This is not a radical switch (DM to CM) and particularly as he is a versatile player should be actually quite easy.  Other examples of this are a natural left back converting to a left wing back who can't progress past accomplished.  Similarly a natural left back converting to right wing back (either footed but very strong right foot), two DMC's converting to DC and a central striker converting to an AMC.  None of these players have been able to progress past accomplished despite playing virtually their entire first team career in their new position or in the case of the attempted AMC convert their entire youth career since they entered my youth team.  It should also be noted that all of these players (except one of the wingbacks) started with at least some ability in their new position.

Interestingly I occasionally also get a message that another left wingback in my team can't progress past accomplish at left wingback.  However, he is actually already natural in that position.  It is this more than anything that convinces me that there is something squiffy going on with retraining positions.  I can provide the save game if you need it.

2 hours ago, Russell Hammant said:

Hi @WhyMe

Do you have a save just before the news item is generated telling you the players can't progress any further? Details on how to share the save are below.

Thanks

Russell

Hi Russell,

Unfortunately not at the moment.  However, my coaches do tell me periodically so next time it happens I will upload one and let you know.

WhyMe

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 13:06, Russell Hammant said:

Hi @WhyMe

Do you have a save just before the news item is generated telling you the players can't progress any further? Details on how to share the save are below.

Thanks

Russell

Hi Russell,

I have had a position training update and I have uploaded a save called position training as you requested.  However, it is not the best example the coach only mentions two players one of which has barely played in his new position (AMC).  The central defender (Almeida) is a better example and has been retraining in his new position since I signed him with the specific purpose of retraining him to play in central defence as a libero.  He is only 19 years old and so really shouldn't have his position set in stone yet.  Last season he played 12 times (11 starts) in the league all in central defence and twice in the cup (1 start).  He also played 32 times for the under 19's and the manager was told to always play him in central defence (I did check a few times and he always was so I assume that it was the case).  This season he has a further 10 starts for the first team and a further 16 appearances in central defence (10 starts) in non competitive action (some first team friendlies and some under 19 games).

He is not the best example in the save of the issue with position retraining but he is the one my coaches reported most recently so I have uploaded the save just in case.  I will keep watching out for it and the next time I get the message for the highly versatile DM retraining to CM but can only get to competent I will upload that as well.

Hope this helps,

WhyMe

Edited by WhyMe

Hi Russell,

Quick heads up, I have uploaded a second save game this time with the perfect example of the problem.  Hit continue once and you will get a training summary.  At the bottom it tells me that my versatile DM won't get past competent at CM and it also tells me that my left wingback who is a natural at LWB won't get past accomplished which as he is natural is clearly false.

Hope this helps.

WhyMe

I find the versitily attribute a bit dumb to be honest. My left sided midfielder with brilliant left wing attributes can't progress passed competent there. However plays very well in that position. It's stupid logic by the game to dictate positions and versitily at a young age. Versitle player are created over years of football and the game should reflect this. 

14 hours ago, WhyMe said:

Hi Russell,

Quick heads up, I have uploaded a second save game this time with the perfect example of the problem.  Hit continue once and you will get a training summary.  At the bottom it tells me that my versatile DM won't get past competent at CM and it also tells me that my left wingback who is a natural at LWB won't get past accomplished which as he is natural is clearly false.

Hope this helps.

WhyMe

Thanks @WhyMe, we'll take a look in to the save

Cheers

Russell

On 07/11/2018 at 07:55, RyanJamesMUFC said:

I find the versitily attribute a bit dumb to be honest. My left sided midfielder with brilliant left wing attributes can't progress passed competent there. However plays very well in that position. It's stupid logic by the game to dictate positions and versitily at a young age. Versitle player are created over years of football and the game should reflect this. 

That's not how Versatility works. Please keep this area for bugs rather than discussion.