How to play against Couter attacking teams?

Hey guys. I'm pretty new to football manager. (But not to football)

I recently signed up for this competition where we draft teams of our own and play a tournament.

Basically the organizers draft teams on the fantasy draft and simulate a match between two teams in FM18. We provide the tactics to our teams.

So this is the team I drafted,

Rulli, Bellerin, Mussachio, Maguire, Tagliafico, Pavard, Jorginho, Kovacic, Marcelo Diaz, Bernardo Silva, Sterling, Aubameyang, Griezmann

This is my opponent's team

Donnaruma, Telles, Valencia, Davinson Sanchez, Toprak, Marcelo (Brazilian CB from Lyon), Mousa Dembele, Allan, Fred, Sane, Cristiano Ronaldo, Payet, Bailey, Luis Alberto

So I recently downloaded FM18. I drafted these two teams on fantasy draft. My opponent played his previous matches while relying on counter attacks and with a 4231 formation

I tried various tactics, shapes, strategies to defeat his team but I'm unable to do it with my team. 

I want a tactic that can defeat counter attacking teams consistently. Is there a tactic you guys can help me with?

21 hours ago, Weird Introvert said:

I want a tactic that can defeat counter attacking teams consistently.

Not sure I can give you that but counter attacking opponents normally thrive on space you leave them behind your defensive line.  The two approaches to dealing with it are prevent the long balls in behind.  I'm going to say that's risky and you could make things worse if you are not careful.  The other and more safe option is to defend deeper to reduce that space.  To compliment a deeper line of your own you want to consider withdrawing some attacking players or they'll still be the wrong side of the ball.  Its all together a more cautious setup.  It may help to think in terms of you setting up to play them also on the counter attack.

1 hour ago, z464 said:

What formation you use ? Role you set ?

How your players lost the ball ? Where they lost the ball own half / midfield / final third ? 

That's exactly what I am asking. What formation do I use and what roles do I assign? I am asking you guys to suggest me the tactics. 

What I do know is, my opponent is most likely to use a 4-2-3-1 i.e.

Donnaruma

Valencia    D.Sanchez    Toprak    Telles

Allan/Fred     Dembele

Bailey    Luis Alberto    Sane

C.Ronaldo

He's going to use a Counter attacking style of play. I was hoping you guys would help me out with the tactics

1 hour ago, Weird Introvert said:

That's exactly what I am asking. What formation do I use and what roles do I assign? I am asking you guys to suggest me the tactics. 

What I do know is, my opponent is most likely to use a 4-2-3-1 i.e.

Donnaruma

Valencia    D.Sanchez    Toprak    Telles

Allan/Fred     Dembele

Bailey    Luis Alberto    Sane

C.Ronaldo

He's going to use a Counter attacking style of play. I was hoping you guys would help me out with the tactics

You mentioned you use various tatic   shapes, strategies to defeat his team  . 

That is what I wondering what tatic / shape / mentality  you used and how /where you lost the ball  cause  the opponent  team create counter attack . 

E.g both of your center backs are not fast enough .

Did you push your defense line up ? 

Any formation can beat them , but all depends on how you set up . 

Archived