Extinct nations - any limitations?

Forgive my ignorance. I only tend to buy FM every two years, so I'm always trying to catch up with two sets of changes by the time I get a new version.

What, if anything, has changed regarding reviving extinct nations in FM18 and FM19?

On FM17, I'd go with CIS for maximum stability, select languages, continent, and region, and it was good to go. Names were generated by language and people added to the nation, and ethnicity was generated according to the region the nation was given. Regens were produced by clubs as normal.

Another thing that worked well was splitting the nation and local region of a city. A city could be based in one nation, but have its local region in another. This forced players with dual nationality and the naming conventions and ethnicity of the nation of the local region.

I'm wondering whether it's still quite so simple on FM19. My CIS-based ahistorical Greenland-Vinland nation is behaving as expected, though I've not tested it over the course of a season and I read somewhere that regens could be an issue for extinct nations on FM18. Unfortunately, my Inuit and Native American nations aren't quite behaving in the way I expected. They're both based on other traditionally stable extinct nations, and seem to function fine except for generating ethnicity based on region. This is the case with split cities and 'pure' native cities. They just generate white guys. Has ethnicity been hardcoded in some other way over the past couple of versions that I need to catch up with? I've logged it as a bug, but I'm not sure whether it's just new game behaviour.

Basically, my question is, are extinct nations still safe to use in the same way as they were in FM17 and before?

• 1 month later...

Archived