MLS expansion - I think it's new, it kind of works, it kind of doesn't

Ruh Roh

FC Cincinnati are moving up to MLS next year, and like other editions this FM includes the mechanism for their expansion: they're not in the league this year, there's an expansion draft, they're in the league next year. FM2019 opens up the advanced rules a little more - there's a draft tab, there's some stuff dealing with expansion, and there are the "flexible format rules" for individual competitions. I thought this screen was great - when a team gets added to a league its reputation changes.

I was able to copy Cincinnati's expansion stuff, make the league 26 teams with a 2020 template, and add 2 extra teams from the lower leagues: Las Vegas and NY Cosmos. I'm actually terrible with the advanced rules and I hate even looking at it, so people who are active here can probably do better. The two teams are playable, they follow the same MLS rules and they participate in the Superdraft. The actual expansion draft got messed up, but I kind of think that's either my fault or something to do with putting two teams through at once.

I hope someone can use this to make a dynamic MLS - expansions and rule/salary cap changes at realistic times, maybe even adding a second division in 10-15 years. MLS never really "works" in Football Manager because it's completely static, it's just frozen in the same year. The interesting thing about the league is how it's growing and changing.

There are a couple big issues that basically, drumroll please, ruin the whole thing that I'd like SI to look at, because unless the answers are hidden somewhere really weird I don't think I can do anything.

- New clubs default with zero slots for international players, but I think the real number (and what Cincinnati start with) is something like 7 or 8. Without international slots, you're not doing anything in MLS.
- I can't find a way to replicate the relationship between MLS clubs and their academy clubs, which they can sign players from at any time. You can copy-paste the feeder club page with all the same check marks (same board, same kits etc), put it in the same division, but you'll just be creating a club that feeds players into the Superdraft.

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/11/2018 at 09:37, Dave106 said:

How did you go about adding teams into the league? I have tried but keep getting error messages, any help would be appreciated :)

Don't remember step-by-step but I made an MLS (2020) with 26 teams, the same way the advanced rules already have an MLS (2019) with 24 for the Cincinnati expansion. I'm sure there were other little things I had to tweak. At first I just wanted to add one team but the "fixture plan rules" were a Sodoku puzzle from hell, so I went ahead with two. Here's the file, hope it's the right one

mls thing.png

mls thing.fmf

• 3 months later...

Archived