FM 19- Oh When The Spurs.. (Tottenham Hotspur)

Dwells2015

On 07/01/2019 at 13:34, Codename47 said:

Completely understood SD.

I wasn't referring to the tactics, player roles/duties etc, I was implying a potential save and reload aspect in conjunction with his history on the 'tactics sharing' forum which is renoun for plug n play tactics/exploits etc.  If he is winning (albeit with Spurs) in his first season without purchasing any player(s) and scooping all the four major trophies and winning the league by 24 points then either he is cheating or there is something completely and utterly wrong with the game.  Now, I know FM is not perfect, I have played it since its inception, but the game (ME) is not that completely fubar for his outrageous claims.  

I am unsure whether even Cleon, Rashidi & co could manage this (apologies guys if you can).

Knap doesn't cheat. He's just VERY good at making tactics. Sure they use some exploits but he's not save/reloading. Disrespectful to suggest so. Knaps an FM legend.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, edgar555 said:

Knap doesn't cheat. He's just VERY good at making tactics. Sure they use some exploits but he's not save/reloading. Disrespectful to suggest so. Knaps an FM legend.

I would not call him very good at tactics, not in the way some contributors to the Tactics forum are, who also go in depth into the principles behind their tactic and provide reasons for their choices.

Knap does have a process to come up with these tactics and they certainly deliver the results, but it's obvious most of them do not have real life counterparts and just exploit weaknesses in the match engine.

And I was surprised how reasonable some of his tactics are, like the one he used for the results he posted here, which granted is more of a compliment to the ME than to him.

As someone who's played a ton of competitive games throughout the years, the likes of Warcraft 3, Dota or Starcraft 2, I can perfectly empathize with the win-at-all-costs-immersion-be-damned mentality.

At the end of the day, how we all play the game is just a matter of personal preference, even more for a sandbox game like FM where difficulty is so fluid.

A long as you have fun and you're left with a good experience, that's all it matters.

17 hours ago, SD said:

I would not call him very good at tactics, not in the way some contributors to the Tactics forum are, who also go in depth into the principles behind their tactic and provide reasons for their choices.

Knap does have a process to come up with these tactics and they certainly deliver the results, but it's obvious most of them do not have real life counterparts and just exploit weaknesses in the match engine.

And I was surprised how reasonable some of his tactics are, like the one he used for the results he posted here, which granted is more of a compliment to the ME than to him.

As someone who's played a ton of competitive games throughout the years, the likes of Warcraft 3, Dota or Starcraft 2, I can perfectly empathize with the win-at-all-costs-immersion-be-damned mentality.

At the end of the day, how we all play the game is just a matter of personal preference, even more for a sandbox game like FM where difficulty is so fluid.

A long as you have fun and you're left with a good experience, that's all it matters.

Knap isn't a Cleon or Rashidi or whoever but he's a massive contributor to the community and his tactics (which are good at winning at FM) are used by thousands each edition. 

If people want long in depth explanations etc then Knap's tactics aren't for them, if they want plug n' play then he's most definitely the man to see.

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.ef54ec61c58c09f010cdc9f592585503.png

So - 2023 Partial Rotated squad..

I benefited from a Golden Generation, and Lucky poaching of a few Wondekids who Have come good - Keeper is a Newgen that's keeping Lafont out of the team ATM.

This is Main tactic now, which seems to work OK - OK in that I win most. I'd love to see a bit more direct passing and through balls in attacking play, but can never crack it. The play i get on counter-attacks\half counters I like a lot though.

Zanilo\Gedson Fernandes will switch between MEZ\BBM roles. Fox is the lesser of 2 crazy potential Right-Backs That came in a Golden Generation with a Left-back that's overtaken Tierney, an MC who's 16 long shots come very much in handy, a AML who jumped straight into the U23's and was roatiting AML Season 2.

I enojoy a lot of the little quirks i get in this game, so a first for me, in that i got Brothers in the game:

image.thumb.png.e22fd2034af065f4a53de1780ba4c397.png

image.thumb.png.16515c5d910d9eee8d36c2a2e2ec6225.png

image.thumb.png.8904757daf5489337430764de63e5d7c.png

I focus Heavily on youth in my saves, and Manage all training, including individual, Trying to develop players to how I want them..

15 hours ago, SD said:

@plcarlos Looking good, sir. I have one question, where is Eriksen? You haven't sold Eriksen, have you? :eek:

Someone with his professionalism and natural fitness should still be at his peak at 31.

No, he was rested for that game... Son\Dele are still there as well. Lots have been sold, but now is the time i switch to a 1 transfer per season for first team and youth. The main focus from this point on is the youth Developement. I'll post Squad and Prospects tonight

• 2 weeks later...

It would help everyone's nerves if they scored an own goal in 5 minutes!

Last Wednesday inspired me to start a new game with Spurs. At the end of the first season I'm losing Dembele, can't shift N'Koudou, big clubs are chasing Eriksen and I have a wantaway Belgian centreback... but it's Vertonghen in this world, not Alderweireld. He asked for a better contract around Christmas and I tried to defer until the end of the season. When he took umbrage to that and stayed unhappy for months I eventually offered him a new deal in March/April time. He signed without issue, but literally days later I got a note saying that he was homesick and wanted to leave. I couldn't do anything to calm him and now he's on the transfer list at his own request on a freshly signed contract that doubled his wages and his value - and now none of the clubs chasing him over the January window will come near him :rolleyes:

We otherwise had a season of nearly - 2nd in the league by a point to Liverpool, with late-season defeats to Wolves and Chelsea costing us dear, we also lost out in the CL semi-final to Barcelona on away goals and lost 3-1 in the FA Cup final to ManU, with Lloris letting in 3 of their 4 shots on goal. It was that kind of season. Kane, Trippier and Lloris topped their player categories in the CL, at least.

Dembele's off on a free to PSG, Wanyama's joining him for £24 million, Janssen's off to Newcastle for £12 million, Onomah's going for £8 million to Brighton with a decent buy-back clause and Vorm's going... somewhere when his deal runs out. Maybe Valencia? Llorente moved to Dinamo Moscow in January for pennies, which gave me space to bring in Wilmar Barrios for about £8 million (but after 15 appearances in 4 months he was unhappy about a lack of appearances...).

Over the summer we're bringing in Sessegnon (£30 million + incentives, I suspect I've overpaid but what the heck) and Jan Fiette Arp for about £12 million. We've also lined up Kieran Tierney for ~ £15 million for next summer, as Davies and Rose are settled, and I wanted him tied down now before someone else nabbed him. Otherwise, we've done well with Skipp and Walker-Peters playing this season, and will give chances to Edwards, Sterling, Carter-Vickers and Oakley-Boothe as they all have a year left on their deals

I didn't buy a backup striker in my first season, so on his first England appearance Kane got injured for 8 months. Ended up in 5th after almost getting sacked for Xmas, lost the CL final to United.

Season 2 will be hard, since I am incapable of winning away from home in the league. Hopefully Kane stays healthy. I bought Allan from Napoli in January, and his presence in the team turned Eriksen into a formidable attacking force. This summer, I bought Gedson Fernandes from Benfica (I think) to be my new RB after Aurier got one red card too many.

I am really struggling to find an affordable LB or AMR that can cross, which is limiting me a little :(

• 2 weeks later...

@Dwells2015

I came 4th in my first season, lost the leage cup final to Liverpool 0-1 in Extra time, lost to Man U in the FA cup 4th round and went out of the CL in the last 16 at Barcelona 3-2 on aggregate

I wanted some more pace in attack and boy did i get it, I was happy to take 100m for Kane as I signed the alien! Plan to just make 2 top quality signings each summer and the team looks good for season 2

Screenshot (54).png

Screenshot (53).png

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (56).png

10 hours ago, Carlf788 said:

@Dwells2015

I came 4th in my first season, lost the leage cup final to Liverpool 0-1 in Extra time, lost to Man U in the FA cup 4th round and went out of the CL in the last 16 at Barcelona 3-2 on aggregate

I wanted some more pace in attack and boy did i get it, I was happy to take 100m for Kane as I signed the alien! Plan to just make 2 top quality signings each summer and the team looks good for season 2

Screenshot (54).png

Screenshot (53).png

Screenshot (55).png

Screenshot (56).png

This looks fun so far!! Interesting choice to play the 4123. Spurs are set up well for a 4231 with two of the best #10s in the game in Alli and Eriksen. 

They are just so so good. So much fun! Such a solid squad. I have basically just kept the same squad as real life but replaced Rose, Trippier, Dier, Sissoko and Lamela with Tierney, Walker-peters, Auoar, Onomah, Sancho and Mbappe!

I am giving a lot of game time to the youngsters too. So strong at the back. Nice mix of steel and silk in midfield with Wanyama, Eriksen and Auoar. The latter 2 are like a couple of Rolls Royces gliding about in the middle and then masses of quality pace and agility up front with Jadon Sancho, Lucas Moura/Son and Mbappe wow.

As I said at the start Spurs have some players I really like and I have added a handful of my favourite players to that too. I like this team so much I spend a lot of time watching extended highlights to watch them play ha ha. Won away at Bayern and Chelsea already in the 2nd season and top of the league after 10 games. 

I cant see much at all needing done in the transfer market over the next few years either just the odd tiny tweak here and there. Marcus Edwards looks a decent prospect too who gets on my bench and Troy Parrott looks like the next Harry Kane. I was happy to sell Kane as I planned on more pace up top. The likes of Foyth, Davinson Sanchez, Winks and Oliver Skipp as ready made replacements to step in the first 11 in the near future too. I can see this been a long save of finally collecting come trophies!

Keeping the bulk of the same squad has meant I have maximum team cohesion too. Big fan of the squad Spurs have put together in real life too and how they have done it

I fired up a new save, following the thread Experienced Defender created as possible tactics for spurs. This save is more about tactic testing and only buying players for that (vs going after the best of the best).

I've sold - Wanyama (Always gets Yellow\Red's for me), Aurier (Never rated and Long-term he whinges), Vorm, Lloriente

In are: Tousart, Ndomble, Tierney, Raya as backup Keeper

Tousart covers the Half-back\BWM role recruited as per the above, Tierney overtakes Rose\Davies.

Still only 3 games in, playing the 4-5-1(4123) in the thread, but I'll watch and adapt accordingly based on players\performance etc.. I'm top after 3 games, but a Huge chunk of that is Luck with other teams having key injuries\fitness issues, so I've had my first team vs opposition with 4-5 key missing, or limited.

@Carlf788 nice going - Although i can't forgive you for selling Kane, at any price - I rinse teams for my top players if i ever sell them. I set Kane to £200M, and reject all offers below. The only players I sell in and around asking price are the whingers, or the players I replace.

I'm curious on your wings setup - The reason being knowing both players, they are much more natural swapped - Moura as a winger, right wing, and Sancho as an IF Left wing.

Wanyama and Aurier are beasts! I sold Kane a bit cheaply yeah but it was worth it to get Mbappe in, he's younger, faster and better to watch and fit in how I want my front 3 to be( fluid, agile and quick)

I just prefer Sancho on the right and Lucas Moura has been scoring a fair bit from the left but that's just how it was that game I switch up Mbappe, Son, Sancho and Lucas between all 3 positions. I really like the look of Skipp and Parott too. Top of the league in November so hoping to win my first PL title on fm19

1 hour ago, Carlf788 said:

Wanyama and Aurier are beasts! I sold Kane a bit cheaply yeah but it was worth it to get Mbappe in, he's younger, faster and better to watch and fit in how I want my front 3 to be( fluid, agile and quick)

I just prefer Sancho on the right and Lucas Moura has been scoring a fair bit from the left but that's just how it was that game I switch up Mbappe, Son, Sancho and Lucas between all 3 positions. I really like the look of Skipp and Parott too. Top of the league in November so hoping to win my first PL title on fm19

Nice - I see what your aiming for.

I'd love to get Kane as per the real life version, but it's hard to replicate in FM for me (Creator when deep, yet still a major goal threat).

How has Parrott come on? has he had much game time in your save? In mine, he's way off first team, so I'll be looking at Son as emergency backup if Kane's injured.

In another save (upto 2022) Skipp developed very well. He developed into a sitter, rather than a runner IMHO. (Maybe he can be specifically developed into something else this time).

Parrott is still really young so is in my under 23 team but I have seen him turn out great on previous saves. Yeah I have Foyth, Sanchez, Skipp, Parott and Winks earmarked for the first team over the next couple of years and I am giving them plenty of game time now. Onomah will be a squad player too so a good healthy amount of prospects who can play a role in the first team.

To add to Lloris,Tierney, Alli, Son, Sancho, Aouar, Mbappe and Lucas Moura who are all untouchable and will be around for a long time so I have a good core of 14/15 players who will form the bulk of my squad forthe next 6-7 years plus.

I have interest in Eriksen though for aroundn 80m, he is nearly 28 and I have a lot of good options in the middle so i might cash in on him as our finances arent great after signing Mbappe for 150m upfront plus 30m add ons and a huge contract maxed out with bonuses etc

To be honest its just nice to be a good team for the first time on FM19 and not need a mass influx of players each season to move up the levels. I can just focus on the players I have and adding 1 or 2 each year.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone found a good replacement for Rose and Davies. 4-5th season and selling both £25m and £35m in the upcoming Jan window, so have £50-60m for 2x LB’s. Note Tierney is at Arsenal so will never leave, Grimaldo is too expensive.

FYI - Parrot is looking decent, probably do a job for a mid-table prem side, but I’ve got loads of young strikers and he’s some way behind Kane and Belotti in the pecking order..

19 hours ago, Mredd said:

Anyone found a good replacement for Rose and Davies. 4-5th season and selling both £25m and £35m in the upcoming Jan window, so have £50-60m for 2x LB’s. Note Tierney is at Arsenal so will never leave, Grimaldo is too expensive.

FYI - Parrot is looking decent, probably do a job for a mid-table prem side, but I’ve got loads of young strikers and he’s some way behind Kane and Belotti in the pecking order..

I’ve had great luck with Sessegnon and Juan Miranda

Unfortunately Sessegnon isn't up to much on my save - have been watching him for a while. Miranda also looks some way off first choice.

Raised extra funds as selling Trippier (£25m) and Lucas Moura (£50m).

After much scouting decided to just spend big and got Lucas Hernandez (£65m), normally prefer to get a bargain but not that many top class options at Left back, also added Firpo to rotate. Getting Mukiele (£56m) at RB to replace Tripps. Have some youngsters to hopefully step in for Moura.

Archived