Sports Interactive Community
Fer Fuchs Ake

And Now That I've Been Through It All - A Journeyman Career Part 2: Preston? It's a Little North Of Where I Thought I'd End Up

The Save:

It's a journeyman save which will probably take me right the way through FM19. I start at Cork City and try to build my way up the top. Like my previous thread, I'll mix career updates with narrative. I've been playing FM since FM16 but I've only every played as Top 6 or mid-table teams in the top leagues of Europe. Now if I was being smart about this, I'd:

A: Try and manage at a lower level club to give myself some experience before diving into the deep end to manage a 2 star reputation team.

B. Try a test save so I can get the hang of FM19. 

But **** it, I'm diving right in.

The Club:

To start off with, I'm going to be playing as Cork City FC. They play in the SSE Airtricity League, the top tier of Irish football. They're defending champions and so the challenge would be to retain the title (a task Cork City failed to do in real life, relinquishing the title to competitive rivals Dundalk) and to do well in Europe and build my reputation before leaving. By Irish standards, doing well in Europe would be making the group stages of either of the two European competitions as Dundalk did a couple of year ago. 

Here's the stadium, Turner's Cross:

Stadium.jpg.a855d2585a308eef6f9bfd267656aa17.jpg

The crest:

200px-Cork-City-Football-Club-Crest.png.4e28c7e11e750cb1a4a3b94aa33cc3ce.png

And the mascot, Corky the cheetah:

Mascot.jpg.074342b555ace72b5a36c56da462b751.jpg

And now for the most important part, the manager! 

Tony Cochrane:

d5d2604007bef68451052d6635213a1a.thumb.png.078ed2cdaf66244c72c83b623861aafc.png

As I've said earlier, there'll plenty of narrative to this save so you'll be seeing Tony a lot. A Cork native, he played for Cork City FC from age 18 to 27 at which point he suffered a career ending injury. He got his coaching badges at 30 and, after doing nothing with his life for the past four years, has decided to go into management. 

If anyone's interested, here's the league setup I have to start. abab8dcd0930b7be8d7e8ccc183deb93.thumb.png.48fc281f326f66b37de5bdc06589de1d.png

A month earlier...

Tony Cochrane was trying to find his way to the pitch where his U-12 side would be playing. He had no idea where he was meant to go. He pulled up to the footpath, rolled down the car window and called out to the nearest stranger, a rough looking 40-something year old man. 

“Here! Yeah, you. Do you know how to get the local soccer pitch?”

The man ambled slowly over. “Are ya walking or driving?”

The ridiculousness of the question threw Tony for a second. “Uhh... I'm driving,” he replied, gesturing at his car.

“That's definitely the quickest way!” said the man before laughing heartily and walking away. Tony sighed and continued on.

In the end, he wished he hadn't been able to find the place. He watched as his side slumped to a 7th consecutive loss, meaning that they hadn't gotten a single point since the season started. This match was particularly bad. A 9-0 drubbing. Tony thought back to when he's got his coaching badges. He'd been top of the class. His future in management had looked so bright and yet here he was, managing a dismal kids' team. There had to be more to his life than this.

He gathered in his players for a half-hearted team talk.

“Alright, uh... Good effort lads. I know a lot of hard work went into that defeat. I guess the important thing is you had fun... probably. And you only lost the second half 3-0 which was a marked improvement so onwards and upwards. We go again next week.”

There had to be more to life than this. It was that thought that was on his mind as he got in his car, turned on the radio and heard that John Caulfield had just resigned as Cork City manager. 

The next few weeks were a blur for Tony. He barely remembered applying for or interviewing for the job. But he did remember getting the call in early February to confirm his appointment as Cork City manager. He'd quit his old marketing job and accepted Cork City's offer. It had meant a pay cut but it was worth it. His wife was supportive of his decision as she believed he'd never been content with life after his injury. And he hadn't been because he had been underachieving. Not living up to his potential. 

But now that was going to change.

Or at least, that's what the plan was.

Tony was sitting in his office, going through what few reports his scouts had managed to send to him when his assistant manager, John Cotter, burst in through the door. Tony looked up sharply, startled by the interruption. 

“Boss, there's a problem,” John declared.

“What is it?” asked Tony impatiently.

“Damien doesn't like three strikers.”

“Well that's fair enough. Only frauds use that exploit. You should really be using–”

“Tony, what the **** are you talking about?” John asked, confusedly.

Tony stopped talking. He'd no idea. “Umm... Nothing. Continue. What were you talking about?”

“Damien Delaney. He doesn't like three of our strikers, Cummins, O'Hanlon and Coughlan. We don't want a bad atmosphere in the dressing room. What should we do?”

“Send 'em into me after training, I'll deal with them.”

With that, John left and Tony went back to reading through the latest batch of reports on players that would probably end up turning him down anyway.

Gl mate, looking forward to you adventures!

Cheers,
Bitner 

2 hours ago, Bitner said:

Gl mate, looking forward to you adventures!

Cheers,
Bitner 

Cheers man. Good to see you back. 

"All men are created equal. Some work harder in preseason." - Emmett Smith

406759b9fe5e1a4e4b8b72a788957504.thumb.png.af0383db7b254f4c94674712bcf51d48.png

Mixed I'd say. The game against PSG reserves was pretty good as we were up against some big names in Jesé and Timothy Weah. It was also out first game of preseason. We came away with a creditable draw.

The loss against Ajax reserves is on me. I bottled the tactics and tried to change to a different style which didn't work. We took the lead but threw it away and never came back. 

The next two game were just morale boosters against stupidly easy opposition. We destroyed both teams to ensure that morale was high heading into the start of the season.

Edited by Fer Fuchs Ake

2 horas atrás, Fer Fuchs Ake disse:

Cheers man. Good to see you back. 

Well, counter-strike is consuming me, grinding to get something on amateur leagues are hard. But i'm here, at least i want to, all season.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Delighted to see you back with a thread. Best of luck, mate, I'm with you all the way :).

11 hours ago, Bitner said:

Well, counter-strike is consuming me, grinding to get something on amateur leagues are hard. But i'm here, at least i want to, all season.

Cheers,
Bitner 

Oh right. Good luck with it! 

7 hours ago, oriole01 said:

Delighted to see you back with a thread. Best of luck, mate, I'm with you all the way :).

Thanks mate :thup:

3 hours ago, Rikulec said:

Looks promising, I'll be following. :thup:

Cheers bud. Good to have you along for the ride.

2 hours ago, deltablue said:

Didn't realise cheetahs were native to Ireland ;)

We bought a young one from Africa for a really low minimum fee release clause. 

3 horas atrás, Fer Fuchs Ake disse:

Oh right. Good luck with it! 

At the moment i need a major strike of luck to get through the groupstage, yet again. Thanks <3

Cheers,
Bitner 

“Tempo. Now there's a big word” – Barry Venison

So there are the tactics we'll be starting with. The first one is the main tactic which we'll be using for most games. The second is a counter attacking tactic which I guess we'll use in Europe/away to the likes of Dundalk or St. Pat's in our own league.

Main Tactic:

55f0b24c36a3ca99c03f7eb926e10805.thumb.png.0cb2f83284b9e1ac3d3ad2499758f784.png

So the team there is mostly what we'll be using as our full strength XI except McNamee will probably replace Buckley and the central defence will be rotated in general.McCarthy, despite being rated as 2 stars for that role, is our best right back in my view while Delaney is our best defender on paper. McNulty, at 37 years old is the veteran of the team while Morrissey is the midfield metronome. Sheppard and Cummins will be the big goal threats for us this season.

This tactic is wing play as you can see. We'll aim to use our quality full backs and wide players to our advantage to get the ball to them as much as possible. Keohane is pacy (for this level at least) and has good work rate and he's a decent crosser of the ball. Griffins and McCarthy are both great at crossing so we'll get them to to support the attack a lot. We're going to play more direct because I don't think any team in this league could convincingly pull off tiki-taka. Also, we've a decent bit of pace in this side so I think we can get away with it. Cummins is a great presence in the box so when we do whip in the crosses, we can rely on him to tuck then away. 

Secondary Tactic:

5d0020bfea380ab5c15602764b995682.thumb.png.7d257428e28390506a3c8a076d6edb6c.png

The counter attacking tactic will see us sitting deeper and hitting teams on the break. We'll be playing a little bit more narrow and taking fewwer risks with our passing. The general idea of getting the ball out wide stays the same though. I might change up the CM (Au) role to something else. Cummins will be advanced down the end of the pitch, ready to receive any passes or crosses that come his way. Due to our strength in the league, we won't be using this tactic that much.

“We have a financial problem and there's no money either” - Gerry Francis

So as you can tell from the quote, we didn't actually have a transfer budget for this window. Cork aren't exactly a club known for their good finances. We did have a bit in the wage budget which allowed me to bring in a couple of players. 

762c6f4877ae8db3c86a2a559ea91529.thumb.png.bf39f96b24daec40bc4a5aea6739e926.png

Just noticed now that my signings alternated evenly between loan and free. Completely accidental but oddly satisfying. Anyway, let's show you the new arrivals.

Niko Hämäläinen:

Jesus Christ. Let's just call him Niko.

168a9befb7208db3ba8bb8bfe1c15256.thumb.png.71ee1be77cada626f76cf80a27af9bad.png

He won't replace Griffin as first choice or anything but he's a solid left back. Our depth in that position was quite poor going into this season so this is an important signing.  His crossing is fairly tragic, even for this level but he's grand other than that.  Pretty well-rounded.

Yassine Razzi:

7e2239e0bcc650da52ff8058d45c825a.thumb.png.779b98a1f3480747c1bf537a5c02311e.png

Again, he's not gonna be first choice but he's a great option for squad depth as he can play anywhere across the wings or the AMC role. He was mainly brought in because our depth on the left wing was poor but I'm glad he adds even more depth than that. Quick lad as well. 

Callum Nicell:

d9a795902828ac71f98588b8faf3f9bd.thumb.png.3571f16258d80768394cc3a1e4dfc561.png

Nicell is a solid option, brought in to add depth to our CM spots. Notice a pattern yet? He can't tackle for jack but he's a decent playmaker for this level so he can challenge Morrissey for his spot in the team. Has been getting a lot of compliments from my assman for his performances in training.

Claudio Repetto:

b1da7320be13f765c243922d0248bd10.thumb.png.365bcf97daf8f85d737884011b8f1662.png

So one thing I'd not bargained on was how long scouts take to file reports at this level. I was impatient and as soon as I was Repetto had 13-17 pace and acceleration and 12-16 finishing, I was all over him. Unfortunately, I got misled a little but he's still decent. I'll probably give him cup games. He's also young so there's plenty time for him to improve.  And his finishing is pretty good for this level tbf.

Connor O'Grady:

357cb620656f82bee40be5c38368f28e.thumb.png.5b25c5d950e7384ca456a5c2cb34bc4a.png

Finally a player who isn't just squad depth! We don't even have to pay any of his wages either. O'Grady is a very solid defender for this level and should slot nicely into our back four.  Pretty good technicals and very good mentals for this level.

Corie Andrews:

0b9a37eed5082465b0ecb19b3fb42b12.thumb.png.9275a7dc9ceb4680fd5ab442b20303da.png

Pace. That's literally the reason I signed him. They guy's like a bloody bullet. He's a backup option for the striker or RW position. Not good enough to start but I suppose he'll add something good from the bench against tiring opposition. Nice and young as well. 

And that's it. The sum of my wheeling and dealing. I'm pretty happy overall with the squad. We've added good depth and we've quality in a lot of positions. I think we've enough to make a push for the title with the squad we have. 

February Update:

1805342072_6e3fec696f7ccce55a48a9f3c7ea28462.thumb.png.a1be5fcaeacaa3fd5d791f0e64ef2de5.png

Pretty solid. We made a great start to the league with a demolition of Sligo Rovers. Graham Cummins and Karl Sheppard were the standout performers in that match. It was only 3-2 to us in the 88th minute but they kept pushing forward and we dropped back to the counter and just kept catching them on the break. 

The game against Dundalk was annoying because we got comprehensively beaten. They controlled the game and we never looked like winning. The competition itself doesn't matter. Think of the Community Shield and reduce its importance to a tenth and you have the President's Cup. I can't even remember the last winners of it in real life. We'll need to do much better whenever we play them in the league because it'll be crucial to our title push. 

The game against Bray Wanderers was a little unconvincing. They're one of the worst teams in the league so we should have beaten them by more. We created a lot but our finishing was poor. Still, a win's a win and we've made a great start to the league albeit from two games. 

I would show the league table but I forgot to screenshot it in time. Sorry, I'll have it for March.

I'm not prepared to discuss how long it took me to figure out which animal rhymes with Sheppard.

1 hour ago, King Cactus said:

I'm not prepared to discuss how long it took me to figure out which animal rhymes with Sheppard.

Well I'm sure you didn't take as long as they did :D

Good start. I generally tend not to be a fan of direct tactics but the way you set up seems pretty sensible, and seems like it's generating goals, judging from your 6-2 win and your big friendlies wins.

Word of advice, if you want to play journeyman, I think most of the leagues you've activated will be a difficult direct step up from Ireland in terms of reputation. I mean Premier League clubs won't hire from Ireland unless you've won a couple of league titles and really boosted your reputation a lot, and/or the club's and league's reputation, so you might find yourself without any enticing jobs after Cork. Therefore when setting up leagues for my journeyman careers, I like giving myself some "alternative" exit strategies in leagues of smaller nations, and lower tiers of medium/big nations, to make sure I can find another job in another nation even if something goes very wrong in my first job and I lose reputation.

6 hours ago, noikeee said:

Good start. I generally tend not to be a fan of direct tactics but the way you set up seems pretty sensible, and seems like it's generating goals, judging from your 6-2 win and your big friendlies wins.

Word of advice, if you want to play journeyman, I think most of the leagues you've activated will be a difficult direct step up from Ireland in terms of reputation. I mean Premier League clubs won't hire from Ireland unless you've won a couple of league titles and really boosted your reputation a lot, and/or the club's and league's reputation, so you might find yourself without any enticing jobs after Cork. Therefore when setting up leagues for my journeyman careers, I like giving myself some "alternative" exit strategies in leagues of smaller nations, and lower tiers of medium/big nations, to make sure I can find another job in another nation even if something goes very wrong in my first job and I lose reputation.

Cheers, man. We've been playing some nice football and we've conceded relatively few so I think it's going grand. I don't usually like direct football either (this is the first time that I've used it in a tactic because I'm normally a possession freak). However, I felt we wouldn't be capable of tiki-taka. Because this is a lower reputation league the passing quality is quite poor relative to what I was working with on previous saves. Also, we've a decent bit of pace in the side, particularly on the wings which is what the tactic focuses on. 

The league setup is a little optimistic for sure. It's kind of centred in the premise that I'll win some silverware here and boost my reputation a little before leaving. Hopefully then I'd be able to get a mid-table Scottish club or Swedish club or Championship club etc. If it's looking like I could be making an “unplanned exit” so to speak (like with Southampton on my previous save) I might add an exit strategy league. I would do it already but I don't want to add too many leagues in case I end up making my laptop too slow. 

Tony had had a grand first month on the job. They had started the league very well with two wins from two. The win against Sligo had been a particularly enjoyable result as it was his first competitive game and it had set down a marker. A message that Cork City were a side to be taken seriously. That just because the manager who'd won them the league was gone it didn't change the fact that the Rebel Army were going to be a force domestically. 

The President's Cup result was a little disappointing as it would've been nice to earn silverware in only his second competitive match in charge, but it didn't matter too much. It wasn't a competition of any importance and neither the board nor the fans cared. And if neither of them were upset, neither was Tony. 

In particular, he loved the atmosphere at Turner's Cross. That was something he'd almost forgotten about since his playing days but it was great to be reminded of it as a manager. The fans were loud, supportive and also pretty funny. Like in the Bray game when a supporter had gotten the announcer to request that the car with the license plate “NE14ABJ” be moved from its spot. Tony and his assistant manager, John had got a good laugh out of that.

All in all, it had been a good start for Tony and he looked forward to seeing what the next few months would bring.

2 horas atrás, Fer Fuchs Ake disse:

The league setup is a little optimistic for sure. It's kind of centred in the premise that I'll win some silverware here and boost my reputation a little before leaving. Hopefully then I'd be able to get a mid-table Scottish club or Swedish club or Championship club etc. If it's looking like I could be making an “unplanned exit” so to speak (like with Southampton on my previous save) I might add an exit strategy league. I would do it already but I don't want to add too many leagues in case I end up making my laptop too slow. 

This is good, the mark of an ambitious manager. :D 

Makes sense, all good.

10 hours ago, noikeee said:

This is good, the mark of an ambitious manager. :D 

Makes sense, all good.

Hopefully my optimism isn't misplaced now :D

Forgot to show this :D

81328fd63c759156c4edb77f0efb36ad.thumb.png.3dd08d3e94fc939393c2f5e88a05f018.png

He stormed out after being asked whether he was looking forward to the match. :lol: Jesus, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Edited by Fer Fuchs Ake
Typo

March Update:

83d0cdb7e66027c98e101e399bdd8a45.thumb.png.aa232981ce883bdf0d3757132935cc4c.png

Not bad but too many draws. An unbeaten month is good though.

The draws against Limerick and Waterford were poor as our finishing and chance creation were shabby. Also, those are matches we should've been winning as both of those teams are bottom half sides.

I'll take the draw against St Pat's as they're one of the top three or four best sides in the league. Ideally, we would've won as we were at home. It's not too bad a result though.

The wins against Bohemians and Derry City were quite good, particularly the latter as it was away from home and we won 3-0. The game against Bohs was tighter than I'd have liked but I'll take it. A win's a win. 

The victory over Mayfield was also good as we were playing a second string. That said, Mayfield United are a complete nonentity in terms of football. Half a star reputation. The most notable thing is that Corie Andrews for his first for the club. We're gonna face Limerick in the next round. 

League Table:

cc226f7b7f85403d22df1dcb7be65eb7.png.e510ed7e79270bb3dc66fcb77638b892.png

Not too bad. We've got a good jump on St Pat's and we've a game in hand over Shamrock Rovers. The only thorn in the side are Dundalk at the moment as they lead us by two points after the same number of games. As you can see, Limerick only have 2 points so we really should be beaten them. We're unbeaten so far as well. :)

As long as you're not losing, you're well...

Unless you're not  winning, then i'd be worried :P

Cheers,
Bitner 

12 hours ago, Bitner said:

As long as you're not losing, you're well...

Unless you're not  winning, then i'd be worried :P

Cheers,
Bitner 

As Mark Viduka once said, I wouldn't be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league. ;)

Tony stood at the entrance to a wealthy looking housing estate. He was dressed in a thick blue coat with the hood up, black pants and the gloves he'd bought on a whim in town which he was now very thankful for. Despite it being early March, the night was bitterly cold and Tony could see his breath form as a mist in front of him. One of the coaches, Liam Kearney was with him. They knew each other from their playing days and were good friends. It had been Liam's idea to visit this place, though he'd given Tony very little information about what they would be doing there. This estate was relatively close to where Tony lived. It had only been a ten minute drive down after Liam had picked him up at his place. 

“So who is this guy?” Tony asked.

“He's a cousin of a friend of a friend. A wealthy Italian lad. I know a guy who knows a guy who went to some fraud academy in Italy and got a job managing in the lower leagues. And we're about to meet his cousin. He'll hopefully help get us out of that tight spot we're in,” Liam replied.

“What tight spot is this?”

“Jesus, weren't you paying any attention at that meeting?”

Tony gave him a look as if to say he should already know what the answer was. Liam sighed and continued.

“We're a few hundred grand in the red is what. And the last thing this club needs is to get into another financial mess. We don't need a repeat of 2008 do we?” 

“No, of course not. Alright, let's meet this lad I suppose.”

“Wait,” Liam said hesitantly. “Look, this guy is quite an upstanding and professional man. So try to be a bit more professional than usual, yeah? No badly imitated Italian accents, no stories about the pranks you pulled back when you were a player and none of your dirty jokes either.”

Tony snickered slightly.

“I'm serious, Tony!” said Liam, sharply.

“Fine. Jesus, relax. Now can we go in? I'm freezing to death out here.” 

Once let inside by a girl who Tony presumed was this mystery guy's daughter, the two were led through to a large, ornate living room where a tall, balding man somewhere in his mid 40s was sitting. Liam cleared his throat before speaking. 

“Uh, hi. We were recommended to you by a friend. He said you could help us out with our um... situation.”

The man drew himself to his feet slowly.

“Hello Mr Kearney. My name is Vincenzo Feconi,” he said slowly. He then looked disdainfully at Tony who was beginning to feel that the man looked familiar. “And you're Tony,” he added, sounding unimpressed.

Both Liam and Tony were surprised. “How'd you know my name?” Tony asked, somewhat defensively.

“You coached Andrea, my 11 year old son. If I recall correctly, you laughed when he first joined as you said he had a girl's name. You also once said that he was so bad that you could keep the ball off him for ninety minutes in a phone booth,” responded Vincenzo, glaring daggers at Tony as he spoke. 

Tony swallowed nervously. “Yeah, well you know. Just a bit of friendly banter. Anyway, as Liam has said, we'd like a favour.”

Vincenzo smirked. “Oh really? You want a favour from me? What is it then?”

“Well, we'd like you to donate some money to our club. We're in a sticky situation at the moment and we could do with a small bailout. There'd be something in it for you though, I promise. I know a guy who knows your cousin and I also have a surprisingly decent network. I can see to it that he can get a job basically anywhere in Italy, except for obviously Juventus, Roma, Napoli and the like.”

“And God knows you'd be good for the money,” Tony added, staring at his luxurious surroundings. Liam nudged him sharply. 

“Hmm, it's tempting. How much you looking for?”

“I'd say 300,000 should do it. Over a period of time of course.”

“300,000?! You think I'm made of money or something?”

“Well, yes. I haven't been told much about you but I have been that you're a multimillionaire,” Liam replied carefully. “In fact, it's basically the only thing they told me about you.”

“How'd you get so rich anyway?” Tony asked nonchalantly. “Were you like in the Mafia or something?”

Vincenzo looked taken aback. “What just because I'm Italian, I'm in the Mafia?”

“Yeah, don't be so racecar, Tony,” Liam said through gritted teeth.

“Racecar?” said Tony incredulously. “What the hell's racecar?”

“It's slang,” Liam responded. “It means racist. The kids are saying it.”

“What? No it doesn't and no they're not.”

“They are,” interjected Vincenzo. 

“See?” said Liam triumphantly.

“Oh, how would he know?”

“So I wouldn't know what people say over here because I'm not from here? Now that is racecar.” said Vincenzo angrily.

“That's not what I–”

“Ok, you know what? You're not getting s***. You've insulted my son before and you've just insulted me twice. So you get nothing. You lose. Good night sir!” Vincenzo snapped before walking towards the front door and opening it for Tony and Liam.

“Well done,” said Liam sarcastically when the two were out in the car. 

“Ugh, shut up.”

“I told the board that this was our get out of jail card. How am I supposed to explain this?”

“You won't. I will. Now can we just leave and see if we can sort something else out some other day?”

And with that, Liam put the car into reverse and they left.

Em 10/11/2018 em 11:41, Fer Fuchs Ake disse:

As Mark Viduka once said, I wouldn't be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league. ;)

Like that!

Cheers,
Bitner

April Update:

b0a93c676f11c62579cf676c01fe56b4.thumb.png.8a03ed9211b1ac8abc16ab6af9b24570.png

A pretty good month overall but it did see our unbeaten run end in embarrassing fashion.

The game against Shamrock Rovers was a sh**show. No two ways about it. They outclassed us the whole match and our goal was a late consolation goal. The actual stats were quite even but our chances weren't as good as theirs and our defence just s**t the bed completely. Delaney in particular was poor and has since lost his place in the side.

We had better luck against a different kind of Rovers as we cruised to victory over Sligo. We played the way we should be playing, clearly spurred on by the previous result.

We absolutely destroyed relegation battlers Bray Wanderers 5-1 in the next match as we began to put together a run of form. They were no match for the likes of Cummins, Sadlier and Sheppard and we took them apart.

We then got two back to back 2-1 victories over Derry City and St Pat's respectively. The result against Derry was pretty good as they're a solid side but the result against St Pat's was great. They're one of the top sides in the league so to beat them away was very much welcome.

I don't care about the League Cup. Neither do the board.

A very solid win over mid-table outfit, Waterford United followed our cup knockout. We were able to keep a clean sheet as well which was great.

The match against our competitive rivals Dundalk was a thriller! They're a team who we will really have to do battle with if we're to win the title and if we didn't win, I guarantee it'd be them who did. They took the lead but we pegged them back quickly after before taking the lead before half time. They mounted a very strong comeback in the second half and drew level before taking the lead in the 70th minute. We were able to bring it back to 3-3 around the 77th minute as Kieran Sadlier curled in a lovely effort into the bottom right to salvage a draw.

League Table:

93d10873a0194b0b209dc3f96e4a1b04.png.7b5cbf839051a231d55fc1edda0af084.png

So that's where this month leaves us. We're three behind the Shams with a game in hand over them, while Dundalk trail us by two points. We'll play them at home at the start of next month. St Pat's are further behind Dundalk and ourselves and have also played a game extra but they're still in contention. Sligo Rovers and Limerick, meanwhile, are struggling greatly. Solid stuff from us so far and hopefully we can build in it.

5df84740afd50d1a1cbf4bccd55ced8a.thumb.png.3f8b8ee6ce1bfc354e9529009dc24560.png

Also this happened. He wasn't even first choice as I was playing Keohane on the right and Sheppard on the left but Sadlier asked for more game time. I felt he was too good to keep on the bench and I didn't want to annoy him so I put him on the right, Keohane in the centre instead of McNamee and Sheppard on the right. Our attack is more cohesive now as Sheppard is a better winger than Keohane, who is a better playmaker than McNamee. Sadlier has really proven why he deserves a start, scoring 7 in 7 this month and getting himself further in my good books with an equaliser against Dundalk.

It's close, get this game in hand and go for the title.

Cheers,
Bitner

11 hours ago, Bitner said:

It's close, get this game in hand and go for the title.

Cheers,
Bitner

That's the plan. It's looking like it's going to be a very exciting title race!

May Update:

41de71378edaa35a467d05c406b6e6fb.thumb.png.4a9c30f7c4bc5cd683dcc361aef7dbd5.png

Pretty good! I don't care about the Munster Senior Cup because it's got such a low reputation.

We started the month with a creditable draw at home to rivals Dundalk. We took the lead in the 88th minute when Sheppard slotted home a penalty but they immediately snatched an equaliser in the 89th to earn a draw. I went from elated to disappointed in thirty seconds. :lol: Still though, it's not a bad result.

Once again, we only got a narrow win over Bohemians as we scraped to a 1-0 away win. Still though, it's better than nothing and it's great to keep that momentum going. 

I don't care about the cup.

tenor.gif?itemid=10476223

We got revenge in the next match though, as our first XI who we tested for the previous game ran out 3-1 victors over their first team, almost all of whom had played the previous match. It was a very convincing win and we definitely deserved all three points.

Last but not least, a vital win in the battle for the title as we beat Shamrock Rovers 1-0 at home. I've probably said this before but, whatever the order, the top four will almost certainly be us, Dundalk, Shamrock Rovers and St Pat's. So to get wins against any of these teams is very important. 

League Table:

31cd1bc16b9b8c0601b87236331be4e3.png.7daf7b667e50d8b0526f1fc90a0ecd07.png

So at the halfway mark, things are looking like this. We lead by two points with Dundalk trailing by just two points. The Shams aren't too far behind either as they're just four from top. St Pat's are a good bit off the pace, however, falling behind by 11 points. 

I haven't been mentioning who's been getting goals and assists but striker Graham Cummins is banging them in for fun, averaging almost a goal per game and left back Shane Griffin is hauling a load of assists. Jimmy Keohane, Karl Sheppard and Kieran Sadlier are also contributing a decent amount of goals and assists. I'll probably show you the top scorers and assisters at the end of the season. Or maybe before that so you'll have an idea of how well certain players are doing. I'll have to see. 

7eff4b8df90b6c97a6dce6077e657a5a.thumb.png.a4748e6fc979fe36e417d54eeb432d7a.png

First sacking of the season and it comes for Kenny Shiels. As you can see from the most recent league table screenshot, they're doing quite poorly.

14 hours ago, Bitner said:

Nice time to take the lead, for sure!

Cheers,
Bitner 

Definitely. Hopefully we can keep it going for the second half of the season now!

16 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

It's TITLE TIME!

Hopefully :D

But if anyone posts that gif, I'm blaming them if it goes wrong.

13 hours ago, Fer Fuchs Ake said:

Hopefully :D

But if anyone posts that gif, I'm blaming them if it goes wrong.

I don't know what the problem is, really.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bef3798797a6e586b

12 minutes ago, ManUtd1 said:

I don't know what the problem is, really.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bef3798797a6e586b

I should look away but I can't. Between the two in the front and the woman riding whatever that is in the background, there's so much going on here. :lol:

This would make a really good loading screen though...