Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 2019 *Official* Feedback Thread

You call the goalie "running out of the box with the ball in his hands" a clear bug, I find strange I have never seen that happening in the tens of saves I started since November.

It doesn't seem to be a common bug so id strongly suggest you, if you haven't did it before, to raise a thread in the bugs forum.

Posted (edited)
vor 4 Minuten schrieb Federico:

You call the goalie "running out of the box with the ball in his hands" a clear bug, I find strange I have never seen that happening in the tens of saves I started since November.

It doesn't seem to be a common bug so id strongly suggest you, if you haven't did it before, to raise a thread in the bugs forum.

Already done and logged by the developers. If they nonetheless decide not to fix it, it's very frustrating.

I've started two saves and it happens like every 4-5 matches. And I always! concede a goal from the following free kick. That is the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced in over ten years of playing FM.

Edited by derTuchel

I know I've seen this mentioned before but I cannot find it now.

Why is the pitch condition not correctly represented? My current team plays on a stadium shared by other 3 or 4 teams and of course its condition is always terrible.
When I started the save, I was surprised to see questions about how the terrible pitch could affect the matches since what I always see in 3D is a perfect pitch. Only when I looked at the stadium page I saw it said "terrible".

So, again, why don't we see terrible pitches anymore during matches? 

19 minuti fa, derTuchel ha scritto:

Already done and logged by the developers. If they nonetheless decide not to fix it, it's very frustrating.

I've started two saves and it happens like every 4-5 matches. And I always! concede a goal from the following free kick. That is the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced in over ten years of playing FM.

I understand your frustration, but have you tried to mitigate this issue by chosing a different tactic setup? I understand it's not what you wish to see, but working it around could maybe help.

I play both savegames playing top-teams and amateurish leagues and I have never seen this happening.

Posted (edited)
vor 8 Minuten schrieb Federico:

I understand your frustration, but have you tried to mitigate this issue by chosing a different tactic setup? I understand it's not what you wish to see, but working it around could maybe help.

I play both savegames playing top-teams and amateurish leagues and I have never seen this happening.

I've already tried everything. It doesn't matter what role or instructions I assign to my goalkeeper, even with default settings. I'm also puzzled why this bug seems to appear only in my game in this accumulation. I have even reinstalled the game, all without success. Waiting for FM20 it is then, I guess. :/

Edited by derTuchel

I am frankly amazed that for some ME issues the consent is wait for FM 20. Maybe FM 20 will bring more issues than FM 19 so what then, wait for FM 21?

1 ora fa, derTuchel ha scritto:

I've already tried everything. It doesn't matter what role or instructions I assign to my goalkeeper, even with default settings. I'm also puzzled why this bug seems to appear only in my game in this accumulation. I have even reinstalled the game, all without success. Waiting for FM20 it is then, I guess. :/

If you state that, I'm more convinced this could be related to your setup and it has nothing to do with the ME. Waiting for FM20 turns to be meaningless at this point.

vor 1 Minute schrieb Federico:

If you state that, I'm more convinced this could be related to your setup and it has nothing to do with the ME. Waiting for FM20 turns to be meaningless at this point.

Could you please specify that? Any ideas how to fix it?

On 17/03/2019 at 07:45, herne79 said:

Did you look at my original post?  The one where I posted 2 shot maps of matches played showing best and worst examples of actual shots during a match?  Or are you just looking at some statistic?

People seem to be focussing on more than 75% of my goals being from inside the box rather than where shots are actually being taken from, which I thought was the issue.  Look at the shot maps and tell me I have an issue with long shots :thup:.

And if you really want to focus on the 10 goals from outside the box, some context:  3 were direct free kicks, 3 were shots following corners leaving just 4 from open play.  Personally I don't see that as a big issue.  Statistics are meaningless without context.

It's not meaningless at all. It shows that you are scoring way too many goals outside the box. Whether that's as a result of taking too many, or a result of too many of the ones you take going in is up for debate. What's not up for debate is that there are too many goals outside the box.

2 hours ago, Able.Ryder said:

Why is the pitch condition not correctly represented? My current team plays on a stadium shared by other 3 or 4 teams and of course its condition is always terrible.
When I started the save, I was surprised to see questions about how the terrible pitch could affect the matches since what I always see in 3D is a perfect pitch. Only when I looked at the stadium page I saw it said "terrible".

We haven't "seen" weather effects or pitch deteriation since FM16.  They were actually advertised as a feature in a past release (Cant remember which one)

21 minutes ago, RocheBag said:

It's not meaningless at all. It shows that you are scoring way too many goals outside the box. Whether that's as a result of taking too many, or a result of too many of the ones you take going in is up for debate. What's not up for debate is that there are too many goals outside the box.

ok, so I decided to make a couple of tactical tweaks for the following season.  We finished with 12.9% of goals from outside the box - somewhat better than the 24% or whatever it was I keep getting quoted on.  Which kind of backs up what my only point in all of this has been - there are tactical things we can do which may help with issues we come across. 

Does the AI have issues with long shots?  No idea, I haven't looked into it at all although others are reporting such so perhaps there is.  But then that hasn't had anything to do with what I've been trying to discuss, ie., head to the Tactics forum if you have issues with your own system because you may be able to find help.

11.png

1 minute ago, herne79 said:

ok, so I decided to make a couple of tactical tweaks for the following season.  We finished with 12.9% of goals from outside the box - somewhat better than the 24% or whatever it was I keep getting quoted on.  Which kind of backs up what my only point in all of this has been - there are tactical things we can do which may help with issues we come across. 

Does the AI have issues with long shots?  No idea, I haven't looked into it at all although others are reporting such so perhaps there is.  But then that hasn't had anything to do with what I've been trying to discuss, ie., head to the Tactics forum if you have issues with your own system because you may be able to find help.

11.png

Right and all I was saying was that 24% is very high, because some people are pretending it isn't for whatever reason.

24 minuti fa, herne79 ha scritto:

We finished with 12.9% of goals from outside the box - somewhat better than the 24% or whatever it was I keep getting quoted on.  Which kind of backs up what my only point in all of this has been - there are tactical things we can do which may help with issues we come across. 

but you don't know this until you check how many goals outside and inside the box are from set pieces. 

12% is average for long shot goals from open play

anything up to 24% for a single team is not out of ordinary (if the league average is 11-13 %)

anything above 24% is extremely unlikely (not impossible) IRL

@MBarbaric  You are still missing the point.

The point is it's possible to reduce the amount of long shots which human controlled teams take by making tactical tweaks and if people need help with that to head over to the Tactics forum.

If you think showing a reduction from 24% to 13% doesn't demonstrate that, I really don't know what to say other than perhaps you should visit the Tactics forum.

Anyway, I think this point has been laboured enough now so I'll stop here.

31 minuti fa, herne79 ha scritto:

@MBarbaric  You are still missing the point.

The point is it's possible to reduce the amount of long shots which human controlled teams take by making tactical tweaks and if people need help with that to head over to the Tactics forum.

If you think showing a reduction from 24% to 13% doesn't demonstrate that, I really don't know what to say other than perhaps you should visit the Tactics forum.

Anyway, I think this point has been laboured enough now so I'll stop here.

I understand we can reduce the number of long shots, that isn't debatable. The original question was; roughly 25% of goals scored in the current ME are from outside of the box, is this too high?

So to get back to your example, I don't think showing a reduction from 24 to 13 demonstrates tactical input in your particular case has done anything. It might have, but those numbers aren't showing it.

You might be scoring all the goals from inside the box on set pieces while all of outside the box from open play. That would still mean you've reduced the overall LS goals to 13% while, in open play, you still have 100% of goals from LS. Does that make sense?

"25% of goals scored with this ME are from outside of the box" means absolutely nothing for me.

That is maybe your statistic according to your (his) savegame. I guess there are some tens of thousands people playing FM, is that a generic statistic from all these players? Or a mere number thrown there just to strengthen the side complaining about long shots? I don't mean or want to be polemic, but I personally don't take much in consideration a statistic based on some feedback dropped by some disappointed user in this forum.

I'm sure it's not your case though as you seem to be an experienced user & FM player, but I, as much as herne79, can't seem to suffer this "plague" of long shots either.

Posted (edited)

Based on the discussion above i decided to take a look at my stats.
It was something else, however, that caught my eye.

When looking at the type of goals scored i noticed an unusual high number of overhead kicks being scored.

What does the game regard as overhead kicks (goals)?
I've seen all the goals scored by my team and i haven't seen a single goal being scored as a result from an overhead kick.
I have seen one overhead kick being attempted and had the following shot gone in, it would have been a wonderful assist. Shot was saved though.
The 2 overhead kicks against me is also something that i haven't seen at all while watching my games.

Capture.thumb.PNG.61bcf0b6d58e161b1b0de8f5d5c3de29.PNG

On a different note; i have noticed that the half-time media review considers the first half to be the full game.
It's always about winning with a bigger margin, lucky to escape with the victory, [My team] will have the happiest set of supporters etc.
It's only half-time. Still another half to be played.

Capture.PNG

Edited by roykela
Adding screenshot for clarity

6 minutes ago, roykela said:

When looking at the type of goals scored i noticed an unusual high number of overhead kicks being scored.

I'm glad you mentioned this as It only caught my eye about 15 minutes ago, never seen a overhead kick attempted from a goal and somehow I've scored 14 which has never happened once. 

2 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

The original question was; roughly 25% of goals scored in the current ME are from outside of the box, is this too high?

The original question I've been trying to answer is whether or not there is anything we can do tactically to reduce long shot goals.  The answer to which is probably yes, which you agree isn't debatable.

As for this other question, I've no idea if 25% is too high or not but I've demonstrated how I almost halved that proportion by making tactical tweaks.  You're not convinced my tactical tweaks had anything to do with it which is a little odd as you just said being able to do so isn't debatable.

2 hours ago, MBarbaric said:

You might be scoring all the goals from inside the box on set pieces while all of outside the box from open play. That would still mean you've reduced the overall LS goals to 13% while, in open play, you still have 100% of goals from LS. Does that make sense?

I'm afraid this does not make sense, no.  If the open play goals were even remotely close to that kind of exaggerated proportion, the Bugs forum and this feedback thread would be in meltdown.  Without individually analysing all 93 goals - which with the best will in the world I'm not going to do for obvious reasons - take it on trust that having watched all the matches (and goals) the vast majority of goals from inside the box were from open play :thup:.

I don't know if that'll help you or not.  If not, perhaps we should just agree to disagree and move on.

18 ore fa, MBarbaric ha scritto:

People on this forum complain about ton of stuff. Most of the time, it is just ranting without any evidence. However, once somebody asks a simple question:

"25% of goals scored with this ME are from outside of the box, is this too high?" 

which means he went through the trouble to check stats across the league, and asked how current game compares to the real stats, he gets:

a mod sending him to tactics forum (I understand reasoning, but it doesn't address actual question) and you "don't take much in consideration a statistic based on some feedback dropped by some disappointed user in this forum".

Do you actually understand how demeaning this is? There is (rightfully) a mantra on this forum: "Constructive feedback please, SI don't want to hear moans or insults". However, when once in blue moon some constructive feedback to tons of "long shot complaints" actually appears, he gets patronized. These deserve infractions and bans just as much as bashing SI does. It is a genuine question about the state of current ME, it is good somebody rises it and it would be even better if somebody provided some stats from the game that prove or disprove the claim once for all. How can that hurt the game, SI, or ordinary user?

Constructive feedback means something demonstrated as fact and obviously I have nothing against it. But from my point of view the most of feedbacks here are related to issues they could mitigate if not fix by some small changes with the team setup. And the other problem is that it looks to me that everyone who suffers something "wrong" with the game and its representation is automatically right and the mantra "go and visit the tactic forum" is taken like a default reply from mods who don't know what to reply to their problems, rather than a real suggestion.

Some people complain about strikers not scoring, included top ones. My experience is: playing Juve, Ronaldo scored 11 goals in 9 games. Now you say "eh, you have Ronaldo". I'm playing also a 7th level italian league side (Bricherasio, the team I played in when I was 15) from a customized database, and Mr. Sansoldo (finishing 12, composure 6, decisions 4) scored 15 in 20 games.

Some other people complained the ME for their goalkeeper handling the ball out of the box all the time, even stating he is the only one suffering this.

Some other complain about long distance goals % being too high, when others demonstrated this is not common to everyone (me included).

I don't understand the reason you speak about infractions and ban as it doesn't seem to me anyone was infracted or banned by giving a poor/bad feedback. People bash SI continously but I rarely see people banned (if it ever happened for that specific reason), so I'm sorry but I consider your sentence quite out of context.

And again, the stat provided are subjective to their savegame and leagues they are running. If the problem is shared but not common to anyone, for me this should be considered as encouragement on trying improving the system of play,  not waiting for FM20 for a possible fix.

En 14/3/2019 a las 15:59, Novem9 dijo:

Not really. I had the same issue in FM18 and solution was change graphics. Issue happened in ultra and media graphics, all work fine in Huge and Low graphics as I remember. Did you check it?

Not work. All the managers are bald. I don't understand how such a simple error can't be modified. In FM 18 never had a problem

4 hours ago, Federico said:

Constructive feedback means something demonstrated as fact and obviously I have nothing against it. But from my point of view the most of feedbacks here are related to issues they could mitigate if not fix by some small changes with the team setup. And the other problem is that it looks to me that everyone who suffers something "wrong" with the game and its representation is automatically right and the mantra "go and visit the tactic forum" is taken like a default reply from mods who don't know what to reply to their problems, rather that a real suggestion.

Some people complain about strikers not scoring, included top ones. My experience is: playing Juve, Ronaldo scored 11 goals in 9 games. Now you say "eh, you have Ronaldo". I'm playing also a 7th level italian league side (Bricherasio, the team I played in when I was 15) from a customized database, and Mr. Sansoldo (finishing 12, composure 6, decisions 4) scored 15 in 20 games.

Some other people complained the ME for their goalkeeper handling the ball out of the box all the time, even stating he is the only one suffering this.

Some other complain about long distance goals % being too high, when others demonstrated this is not common to everyone (me included).

I don't understand the reason you speak about infractions and ban as it doesn't seem to me anyone was infracted or banned by giving a poor/bad feedback. People bash SI continously but I rarely see people banned (if it ever happened for that specific reason), so I'm sorry but I consider your sentence quite out of context.

And again, the stat provided are subjective to their savegame and leagues they are running. If the problem is shared but not common to anyone, for me this should be considered as encouragement on trying improving the system of play,  not waiting for FM20 for a possible fix.

So I went into both my games, I have one with Liverpool, it season 2 and I have one with Stalybridge who are in their second season for the premiership. I went and check every game played this season and isolated every long shot to determine if its from open play or from set pieces, and these are the numbers I have. Please bear in mind that Stalybridge have a poor side compared to the league and we are playing an aggressive defence.

Out of the 33 games that Stalybridge have played they have conceded 33 goals. Out of the 33 goals they have conceded, 2 came from direct free kicks and 2 came from open play that gave me something like 12%. So far we haven't conceded a long shot from a corner, I really hope these new set pieces I designed, after reading the patch notes, stick cos last season we did concede a few, and I now know why they happened. My tactic wasn't set up right.

In my Liverpool save we conceded 2 goals from open play out of the 11 conceded in 25 games which is about 8%.

Pretty happy with the tweaks they did to long shot defending in the latest patch. All you got to do is set your defense up right

13 hours ago, andu1 said:

I am frankly amazed that for some ME issues the consent is wait for FM 20. Maybe FM 20 will bring more issues than FM 19 so what then, wait for FM 21?

its a neverending cycle. we said the same about the crossing bug in fm16, wingers refusing to defend narrowly in fm17, and now this. it seems there is something massively wrong with the ME of late

9 часов назад, PulpoCris сказал:

Not work. All the managers are bald. I don't understand how such a simple error can't be modified. In FM 18 never had a problem

Unfortunatelly have no idea. Do you use any graphics mods? I remember few guys had bald issue when used modified hairs and faces for newgens.
Looks like this issue in your local files

Well if forum messages could be produce energy, this thread will be an endless source of power :D

2020754968_Image1.png.e080e94169da28a3f93ff995e8e39b99.png

17 hours ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

We haven't "seen" weather effects or pitch deteriation since FM16.  They were actually advertised as a feature in a past release (Cant remember which one)

Thank you.
FM16 was the last one I played before 19.

I'm a bit disappointed :)

54 minutes ago, Able.Ryder said:

Thank you.
FM16 was the last one I played before 19.

I'm a bit disappointed :)

Me too, but I guess there are more impoprtant ME problems to solve at the moment, thats why I am still playing FM16

hace 3 horas, Novem9 dijo:

Unfortunatelly have no idea. Do you use any graphics mods? I remember few guys had bald issue when used modified hairs and faces for newgens.
Looks like this issue in your local files

Does not the same thing happen to you?

54 минуты назад, PulpoCris сказал:

Does not the same thing happen to you?

As I said only in FM18 in some graphic settings. All fine in FM19 as I remember (honestly I can't check now cuz delete FM19 in last week)

Posted (edited)
Am 18.3.2019 um 14:55 schrieb Able.Ryder:

Yeah, i have it most of the time raining and a very few times something that probably shall resemble to snow (with yellow Ball in play) but neither has effect on the pitchground graphic.

Some of the Players seem to be snow white unter their Trikot but only in some lighting, not in other lighting as they seem to have light Skin when they move and the angle of the lighting changes as if soemtimes the reflection on the skin is to bright.

Edited by Etebaer

hace 45 minutos, Novem9 dijo:

As I said only in FM18 in some graphic settings. All fine in FM19 as I remember (honestly I can't check now cuz delete FM19 in last week)

Thanks for the reply! I'm watching many Youtube videos and they all have the same problem on FM 19. It's definitely a mistake of them.

Posted (edited)
6 минут назад, PulpoCris сказал:

Thanks for the reply! I'm watching many Youtube videos and they all have the same problem on FM 19. It's definitely a mistake of them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In my experience the issues like this has a really stupid reason :) but sometimes its technically difficult to detect a causers. Good luck anyway

Edited by Novem9

A new minor update is out. One of the changes is this:

Allow mentoring within non-first team squads 

I was a bit confused when this went away and wasn't sure whether it was a bug or intentional. Thanks for addressing this. :thup:

Just to mix in some facts into the long distance goal debate:

In the season 2008/2009 across the major european leagues there have been 17% of all goals from outside the box. This includes free kicks.
(I did not find recent stats, but I didn't google too hard either)

This might be a really stupid question but...

How on earth do I find a players height and weight on a profile???

2 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

This might be a really stupid question but...

How on earth do I find a players height and weight on a profile???

They should be under the player's physical attributes.

Just curious if anyone has had this issue as of late. Started a new save, about 15 games in with Man United, Rashford asks for a new contract. Fair enough, we agree to wait till the end of the season. Anyway, a slight break in fixtures, I decide to renew, but the kid wants 300k as a rotational player(I try to avoid key player roles as they complain over any lack of games they may have) . He's been good, but not THAT good. The lowest I've got him to is 220k as a first teamer. Surely that's a bit ridiculous for an U21 academy graduate, yeah? 

Anyone else have these issues? 

7 minutes ago, AlexJames said:

Following a 3 year hiatus I have recently delved back into the world of FM for the first time since FM2016, having previously played every version since Champ Man 97 (which is unfortunate, as from what I’m reading in other threads FM2017 has one of the better MEs). Generally I have been enjoying the game, however a few frustrations are creeping in, so thought I’d share my experience so far. A lot of this has likely been covered elsewhere, but I find it strangely cathartic to get it all out there. In my regular life I work as a QA, and while none of what I have encountered I would deem a “showstopper” or warrant the game unplayable, most I would definitively raise as user experience issues.

Some context, I am playing in the lowest league of the Scottish League, am approximately 2/3 through my first season and watch all games full highlights. This equates to roughly 50 hours of ME viewing. I find managing lower league teams often helps mitigate some of the ME issues that occur, as I can always blame my poor players rather than the ME. But in some instances, it merely exacerbates the problems.

On starting up, my team is comfortably considered the worst in the league, heavy relegation favourites whose only real strength across the squad is speed. Things are so bad, in fact, that my own team laughs at me when I tell them “we can avoid relegation” this season. I also have the first transfer window disabled, so am unable to strengthen.

In the vast majority of fixtures I am viewed as the underdog, with my Assistant always encouraging me to play Defensive. However, I have never been a fan of inviting pressure and have little confidence in my defence to withstand constant attacks, so my initial approach is to play a Cautious 4-1-4-1, expecting to be put under pressure but hoping to keep things relatively close and try to nick a goal on the break with my pace or via a set piece.

However, this is not what happens during the games. Despite facing stronger opposition, I find my team almost always has the majority of possession, and creates the most chances. This is possibly due to 2 reasons:

Firstly, I have to play a short passing game, as encouraging anything more direct or expressive results in punted balls upfield to nobody in particular. This lowers the number of aimless long balls, but heavily increases the number of tedious cycled passes around my team with little penetration, skewing the possession in my favour. I have been unable to find a happy medium so far.

Secondly, the opposition tactics seem to be even more cautious than mine, with very little attacking initiative and most of their attempted long balls likewise being hit straight out of play. This can result in a painful viewing experience. I’m not sure why the opposition AI decides to play this way against a team as weak as mine, but it usually means my team is a lot more competitive than it probably should be. Despite my lowly team rank, I have the best defensive record in the league and most number of clean sheets.

Due to the seeming lack of desire to win from the opposition, I feel emboldened enough in my tactics to sometimes field a standard Balanced 4-4-2 – particularly at home - against teams I feel are at a level close to my own. This often leads to a much more expansive game.

The goals I do concede seem to happen in a similar manner. On a number of occasions I have conceded on the counter attack – usually as a result of an overhit corner or giveaway by my own team. In itself, this shouldn’t be a problem, however having previously sat through x number of minutes watching the opposition barely create a chance or complete a long pass, when given the opportunity to counter they suddenly all race across the pitch like gangbusters, with every pass upfield made to perfection and the sweeping move finished expertly by their striker. I get that this is how counter attacks work, but given what I’d been watching previously, this sudden transformation always feels slightly inorganic, jarring and inevitable.

Ironically, this is how I envisaged my own team playing, but every counter opportunity I am presented with either results in my players hitting the ball out of play, crossing into an opposition player or slowing down and eventually getting tackled. Clearly these amazing, rapid counter attacks are possible, I just haven’t been able to ‘unlock’ their potential - despite my tactics, and players - set up for such.

I also concede a lot through my own player errors. The main gripe I have so far is something that I believe has been around for a number of FM incarnations now – players under no pressure and in yards of space race back to a ball going out for a goal kick/ throw in, and rather than shepherd the ball out or control it, they either head/ hoof the ball out of play for a corner or back into the path of opposition players. Simply put, this should not happen. I don’t care how bad my players stats are – this is Sunday league level of skill. Playing as a poor quality team with little chance of winning, conceding goals from these simple errors is just the worst. As a result of this, I find myself ‘forced’ to play a DM to mop up some these mistakes.

Speaking of mistakes, last night my LB passed the ball back to the GK, but instead hit the base of the post. My GK – about a yard away – stood and looked at the ball for a couple of seconds, before the opposition striker raced from about 10 yards away to score. I get that things happen like this in real life, but via the ME it looks plain ridiculous. Also this was the second time in the game the LB had hit the post from a back pass. Hopefully it’s not a trend.

Like others appear to be experiencing, I am also having a hard time getting my strikers – particularly my Poacher (in both formations) – to score. Mostly, they either run in the opposite direction to where a pass is being played, fail to engage entirely or miss a good chance when finally presented with one. My leading scorers this season are my CB (my penalty and free kick taker) and my CM (around half of which have been long shots – which seem to have dried up slightly since the latest patch). I expect them to be overtaken soon by my LW, who has a found a knack of finishing off crosses at the back post.

Speaking of crosses, yes, I have seen a lot of blocked crosses, but this seems to have improved a little since the last patch, and is not quite as much of a problem for my wingers as -

Slide tackles. I watch a lot of football, and only rarely do slide tackles result in anything other than a freekick (often accompanied by some retired ex-pro on commentary proclaiming that the “game is gone” and “it’s a contact sport, for crissakes”). Well, these guys should get themselves down to a Scottish League Two game, as some of the tackles I see there are simply spectacular, and almost always make contact with the ball.  My wingers are generally bossed by these immaculately time challenges from the opposition midfield – despite these players having pretty poor tackling stats - and on a number of occasions at the end of a match one or both teams has a 100% tackle percentage. Conversely, most 50/50 possession tussles or competed headers seem to result in free kicks.

I also feel some player/ team instructions do not function as well as others. My wingers, for instance, rarely make it to the byline or cross low, despite instructions. Instead they always prefer to attempt deeper crosses or cut inside to be tackled (see above) or unleash a surprisingly well-hit shot with their wrong foot. Similarly, goalkeepers and defenders have a habit of lingering on the ball when you’re desperately attempting to chase a game, despite instructions to the contrary.

In terms of the UI, I feel this is one of the best FMs yet. It feels relatively robust and the training/ scouting/ tactics options are engaging. The only real issue I have is with the pre-match tactical teamtalk, as I have no idea what this does? I often leave my team selection blank until game day (does it make a difference if the team is selected?) and have only once had any kind of response from my squad on something I selected. Also, these meeting are scheduled for the evening before a game (does this happen in real life?) – but the text within the options often refers to “today” – i.e. “We’re going to go with a 4-1-4-1 formation today, as it suits us the best” – but the game is actually tomorrow. I think this also was also the case back when I last played FM so can’t believe it hasn’t been fixed – just rename the text to “this match” rather than “today”.  Easy.

In summary, my team are 7th in the league (out of 10), competitive in most games and I am confident of avoiding relegation. In fact, with a good string of results  - and if I can get my striker scoring - could even squeak into the playoffs. This is on a par with how I hoped the season would go – it’s just not how I expected the season to go. I anticipated a plucky (but ultimately unsuccessful) underdog story, but instead am unexpectedly overachieving, and can't help but feel this is mostly due to the AI rather than my own skill at the game. As mentioned previously, the issues I’m seeing with the ME are not enough to ruin the game for me, and I’ve also been able to enjoy a couple of classic “FM moments” with this edition. Hopefully SI takes on board some of the constructive feedback provided in this thread and delivers a solid ME experience in FM2020.

Possibly the best summary/observation I've read so far. I'm currently managing in Hong Kong and was predicted to get relegated in the first season, I actually won the league and have done so for 5 more season all but 1 after the first season. I'm good at this game, let's get that out there first, I can upload two save from Iceland and Hong Kong where I've massively over-achieved using a 5-4-1 Libero in both, or screen shots, yet it still feels laboured and quite a substantial lack of enjoyment until the end of each season due to what you have quite articulately explained here.

Is it unrealistic for players to demand huge wages these days?

Did Callum Hudson-Odoi, with less than five senior appearances, not demand over £80k a week from Chelsea?

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is it unrealistic for players to demand huge wages these days?

Did Callum Hudson-Odoi, with less than five senior appearances, not demand over £80k a week from Chelsea?

Not of that calibre when he expects to be in rotation. 300k is elite player class pay and rashford is knowhere near that. @MatthewS17 Tried asking him to sack his agent? personally i would've waited it out simply because you're new to the club and have barely influenced any player to be "close" with you in terms of the dynamics section. 

6 minutes ago, Creativity said:

Anyone else missing the mentoring option for their youth teams in the new update? 

b8b14b0b502bb6c1f61eec7404ca5258.png

- Allow mentoring within non-first team squads 

> Have you updated?

1 minute ago, Seb Wassell said:

- Allow mentoring within non-first team squads 

> Have you updated?

Yeah, thats a screenshot of my U20's.

This is the version I am on - e9fd43574416183d7093d51b4d72a138.png

9 minutes ago, Creativity said:

Yeah, thats a screenshot of my U20's.

This is the version I am on - e9fd43574416183d7093d51b4d72a138.png

Could you please head over to our Bugs forum and document the issue. Cheers.

10 minutes ago, Seb Wassell said:

Could you please head over to our Bugs forum and document the issue. Cheers.

Done :)

1 hour ago, BigV said:

Not of that calibre when he expects to be in rotation. 300k is elite player class pay and rashford is knowhere near that. @MatthewS17 Tried asking him to sack his agent? personally i would've waited it out simply because you're new to the club and have barely influenced any player to be "close" with you in terms of the dynamics section. 

£300k isnt that elite anymore, certainly not for an attacker. Players like Marcelo earn more.

Just for the sake of things, I checked Rashfords wage in my Leipzig save, and he agreed a new £210k a week deal with an AI manager.