Sports Interactive Community
prot651

Goalkeeper is reluctant

My goalkeeper is reluctant to train . He has a training rating of 5.25 and never gets above 5.40 . 

I want to get rid of him because every time I criticise his training he gives me a mouth full of abuse and tells me to leave him alone 

Problem is we are top of the league and he has a great record and a star rating of 4 . Out of 23 games he has 5 clean sheets . Our defence is really good

So why is his training so bad

In addition to the poor personality, he may be annoyed that despite being top of the league and good defence you are criticising him? I don't know if this is coded or not but could be the reason.

In any case, you are doing great. Just leave him alone ffs. :D

High 6 regions and even had some good saves 

Just curious to why he trains so bad but performs good 

17 minutes ago, prot651 said:

High 6 regions and even had some good saves 

Just curious to why he trains so bad but performs good 

He has obviously got a lack of commitment and maybe ambition and this is reflected in his training performance.  I suspect that there have been many players in the history of the game who have fitted this description.  I would lay off the training criticism as long as he is performing on the pitch, but lay into him if his in-game ratings fall and see how he reacts.  I suspect that he will not be your long-term keeper though

For me if he is preforming on the pitch I wouldn't mind to much about poor training. Unless he is a youngster that I was trying to develop. Just hero passing him and look to replace him at the end of the season. 

4 hours ago, FrazT said:

What have been his match ratings?

Surely this is completely irrelevant considering goalkeeper ratings in FM are slightly broken? 

I find it really, really difficult to judge goalkeeper performance using the match rating system.

4 minutes ago, DP said:

Surely this is completely irrelevant considering goalkeeper ratings in FM are slightly broken? 

I find it really, really difficult to judge goalkeeper performance using the match rating system.

Maybe they are not accurate but they will be consistent, so a low match rating of say 6.7 will be judged as worse than a rating of 7.1

2 hours ago, FrazT said:

Maybe they are not accurate but they will be consistent, so a low match rating of say 6.7 will be judged as worse than a rating of 7.1

I’m really not sure. Neuer in the livestream had a blinder but because the result was tight he got a 6.8 or 6.9. 

If you whack a team 5-0 often your goalkeeper seems to get 7 by default even if he makes fewer saves. 

I struggle to see any sort of logic at all in the current system so as such it’s unreliable. 

hace 1 hora, DP dijo:

I’m really not sure. Neuer in the livestream had a blinder but because the result was tight he got a 6.8 or 6.9. 

If you whack a team 5-0 often your goalkeeper seems to get 7 by default even if he makes fewer saves. 

I struggle to see any sort of logic at all in the current system so as such it’s unreliable. 

maybe because the 5 goals where unblockable/error of other player/a very good play from the goalscorer like a globe, or dribbling 3 players etc, 

my keeper is one of the best in the world, and even getting a 3-0 in Stamford Bridge my GK got a 7.0, the shots he could stop he did his job, what can you do as a GK if you get 2 free kick goals and a goal from a awful pass from a defender?

30 minutes ago, WorcesterLegend said:

maybe because the 5 goals where unblockable/error of other player/a very good play from the goalscorer like a globe, or dribbling 3 players etc, 

my keeper is one of the best in the world, and even getting a 3-0 in Stamford Bridge my GK got a 7.0, the shots he could stop he did his job, what can you do as a GK if you get 2 free kick goals and a goal from a awful pass from a defender?

Or maybe - more likely - the engine just isn’t as good as recognising the goalkeepers contribution and there’s an algorithm issue? How often do GKs get MoM?

I think it's an area which needs further improvement - recognising more accurately when a great save is indeed a great save and making their ratings take this into account, likewise balancing each position more accurately by the position and now by the role the player has. It does this already to a certain extent but think it is something on our radar for future versions to tweak and make even more prominent. As so many things are. If we put in every improvement/fix/feature we wanted to, the game would never come out! 

And as we often say with the match engine, it's extremely delicate and unbelievably complex. Stuff like this really requires a huge amount of thought and work to make it to the standard we'd want it to be at. Appreciate the feedback on this topic.  

hace 8 minutos, DP dijo:

Or maybe - more likely - the engine just isn’t as good as recognising the goalkeepers contribution and there’s an algorithm issue? How often do GKs get MoM?

rating an goalkeeper is subjective anyway, as in most sports, there are always a position where the player if they even have gone and done it perfectly their work is not recognized due to the star position, in this case, the forwards, if a team wins a game 1-0 the MoM WILL be the Forward, unless the forward did so badly that the goal was the only bright moment, as i said, you can't blame a GK for a free kick goal from messi IRL, you can't blame a GK for being one on one due to a defender error, but if they somehow block one of those he is a hero, in a 0-0 where the GK stops 10 shots? i would give him the MoM, but lets be honest, no top team GK will stop more than 5 shots unless is another top team, and a low table team Gk will normally not be good enough to actually stop 10 shots, and even then if a team is playing against a top team, you are not supposed to let the other team shot, that why defenders do get the MoM instead of the GK in this cases in game

it need some tweaks? maybe boost a little the key saves in close scores like 1-0 or 0-0 where in those cases the GK saves are make or break for a team in your case of the 5-0 i guess is for attributes increase reasons, if you are a top team, your keeper will stop 5 shots at most against most of the teams so a keeper could not reach their best due to this or just drop in stats due  to multiple 6.7 or non scores

Just now, WorcesterLegend said:

saving your team from a 20-1 loss?...

Pretty much. Made 34 saves that day.  :lol:

On 01/11/2018 at 04:33, prot651 said:

Problem is we are top of the league and he has a great record and a star rating of 4 . Out of 23 games he has 5 clean sheets . Our defence is really good

I would say 5 clean sheets out of 23 is OK, hardly "really good".

I've got a few older players who play well, get good ratings but refuse to put a shift in training and give me lip when I say anything. In the short term I suck it up, but they are earmarked to be kicked out as soon as younger players are ready to step up.

20 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

I've got a few older players who play well, get good ratings but refuse to put a shift in training and give me lip when I say anything. In the short term I suck it up, but they are earmarked to be kicked out as soon as younger players are ready to step up.

This is the way to deal with them- as long as they perform on the pitch, tolerate poor training. As soon as there is a viable alternative, move them on.  If their form drops, lay into them then. 

Can you imagine Matt Let Tissier's training ratings from back when he played? I wouldn't be giving him an earfull about it