[FM 19.2] • • • MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSStidious v3.0 || 4-1-2-2-1 • • •

FuSStidious (fastidious - attentive to detail)

Synopsis
The aim of this tactic is to play some beautiful football. You'll get some slow buildup and short passing, some overlapping wide men, and some balls fizzed into the box. It's generally very nice to watch and doesn't rely on balls over the top or corner exploits!

You should see passing triangles move up the field through the first two-thirds. In the final third you'll usually see a wide man get released and he'll either cut the ball back to an on rushing MC or whip it in to the SC.

Mentality
I've been using balanced against top teams and positive against lower teams.

Team Talks
Do them yourself, seriously, assistants are just rubbish at them, even the best assistants.
• Be harsh! Ask yourself what the stereotypical Sir Alex Ferguson would have done.
• Before I match: I usually aggressively "expect a result", followed by individually assertively telling them "I have faith" if they haven't responded positively already.
• At half time: (even if my teams winning) if most of my team have below 7 performance I will aggressively tell them it's "not good enough", those that don't respond to that (or respond badly) I will individually tell they were "not good enough" assertively.

Opposition Instructions
I don't usually use them, but they are useful in particular situations.

Team Selection
DO NOT LET YOUR ASSISTANT MANAGER PICK YOUR TEAM - he will tend to pick AMCs in the wide positions, this will kill you, use wingers, they'll adapt and do fine.

Shouts
Shouts are awesome this year.

• "Demand more" is just like a free boost for your team every 15-20 minutes, why on earth wouldn't you use it!
  • If you're looking for a goal late on I'll usually use "get creative".

Players
ST - Attacking Forward (Attack)
• Type of player: You need an all-rounder here (think: Lukaku or Kane).
• Best stats: Finishing, Heading, Composure.
• Good PPMs: "Gets Into Opposition Area", "Plays One-Twos" .
• Notes: Ideally you want an attacking forward that also has good heading/jumping.

AML/R - Inside Forwards (Support)
• Type of player: A traditional winger but with good finishing and shooting (think: Salah/Sterling).
• Best stats: Dribbling, Acceleration, Finishing.
• Good PPMs: "Cuts Inside", "Plays One-Twos".
• Notes: Don't switch them to attack, they won't cover and you'll get smashed on counter attacked.

MCR - Advanced Playmaker (Attack)
• Type of player: This is where you use you're typical AMC superstar, he's really important, if he's not performing, sub him out!
• Best stats: Passing, First Touch, Technique.
• Good PPMs: "Gets Forward Whenever Possible", "Tries Killer Balls Often".
• Note: "Curls Ball" seem to result in some pretty amazing long shots, be interested in feedback from others here?

MCL - Box-to-Box Midfielder (Support)
• Type of player: A box-to-box type player, a battering ram, charges into the box from deep and take on shots from outside the area.
• Best stats: Stamina, Work rate, Long Shots.
• Good PPMs: "Arrives Late in Opponents Area", "Runs with ball through the centre".
• Note: "Curls Ball" seem to result in some pretty amazing long shots, be interested in feedback from others here?

DMC - Defensive Midfielder (Support)
• Type of player: A more aggressive holding midfielder who will sweep up attacks.
• Best stats: Tackling, Work Rate, Anticipation.
• Good PPMs: N/A

WB - Wing Back (Support)
• Type of player: Defensive duties come first, but some good attacking attributes will give you width and crossing (think: more Trippier than Mendy!).
• Best stats: Marking, Tackling, Crossing.
• Good PPMs: "Runs With Ball Down The X", "Plays one-twos".

CB's - Central Defender (Defend)
• Type of player: Jumping and Heading are important as I play a high line and they'll often need to clear the ball as it comes in. You'll also need good acceleration, anticipation and decisions, so they don't get beaten by balls over-the-top on the counter.
• Best stats: Heading, Acceleration, Marking, Tackling.
• Good PPMs: "Plays Short Simple Passes", "Does Not Dive Into Tackles".

GK - Goal Keeper (Defend)
• Type of player: I've had much better ratings out of a traditional goalkeeper than a sweeper keeper.
• Best stats: Handling, Reflexes, Arial Reach.
• Good PPMs: N/A

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation
This is just a personal tip for success. I rotate far more than any manager in real life, it just seems to work in FM! Usually I have a preferred 11 and then a completely different second 11. I always play each of the two 11's together so that they still develop player relationships, but I will often play Team 1, followed by Team 2, followed by Team 1....etc. So I essentially have a starting 22, not a first 11. Give it a bash, I'm interested to know if I'm insane!

Official Releases
These are the official releases to date, which relate to the above guide.

MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSStidious v1.1.fmf

MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSStidious v2.0.fmf

MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSStidious V3.0.fmf

-------------------------------

I've been working on an entirely new tactic, which I'll probably create a new thread for when it's done.

It's based on how AC Milan used to play when I was a kid - very fluid, lots of creativity, short, quick passing and plenty of movement. This is a tactic created to play the game I want to see played on the pitch, rather than what's most effective, so it's a big of an indulgence if you like!

You'll need a very good team to pull it off as they need good passing and technical skills all round - you really can't afford many mistakes or misplaced passes with a tactic like this. This doesn't mean a team that's top of a lower league, this means a champions league level team. As a rule of thumb you're overall passing success rate should be about 80%, if it's dropping much below this, then you don't have the players necessary.

This isn't an official release, maybe at the weekend, but if anyone wants to give it a whirl and give me some initial feedback then that would be great.

MiNiMaL_FuSS - FuSSillation BETA 0.5.fmf (fusillation - death by shooting)

Edited by FuSS

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, jdubsnz said:

Giving this a whirl with Arsenal 

Let me know - it's very unlike me to put a tactic out before I've played a few hundred matches with it, so it might be crap!

10 hours ago, iSpoon said:

Lovely write up! I'll give this a go with Concord. Anything you'd suggest changing for conference level teams? 

To be fair, I lifted most of it from my FM18 write up, it's essentially the same tactic.

Not really - when the full game comes out I usually start non-league so will be able to help more then.

Just apply common sense, you're defender probably aren't fast enough to play with the super high defensive line and probably not organised enough to use the offside trap effectively.....but you wont know this unless you concede a few gals and watch the repays, but that'd be my guess.

23 hours ago, FuSS said:

Team Talks
Do them yourself, seriously, assistants are just rubbish at them, even the best assistants (although at least half you will ignore me through sheer laze and then blame me afterwards)
• Be harsh! Ask yourself what the stereotypical Sir Alex Ferguson would have done (NB: there is no "kick boot at head of captain option" - pull your finger out SI!)
• Before I match: I usually aggressively expect a result, followed by individually assertively telling them I have faith (even if I don't have faith, because most of the little primadonna are spoilt sods)
• At half time: (even if my teams winning) if most of my team have below 7 performance I will aggressively tell them it's not good enough, those that don't respond to that (or respond badly) I will individually tell they were not good enough assertively (there you go, despite it being the tactics sharing forum I have spoon fed you, there will be no more from this teat mr!)

These seem to really help.

In regard to after the match, what do you tend to go for?

23 hours ago, FuSS said:

Mentality
As with all my previous tactics I'm a big fan of control - now renamed "progressive" (is that in and of itself progressive?).

Do you mean "positive" in FM19 terms?

Cheers FuSS!!

It shouldn't be the case but my enjoyment of playing this game is directly correlated to you uploading tactics :)

Completely agree about fullbacks and wide men. It's so hard finding good full backs but when you do....

Hey FuSS, your tactic is working out well for my Atalanta team :thup: . Currently sitting pretty in 3rd spot at the halfway point in Serie A, whereas normally I struggle to make top 8 in that first season.

IMG_20181105_224604.thumb.jpg.b393d0bf6f6b13780bf8c23db51f17a5.jpg

Only major signing of note at the start of the season was a left-back on loan, as Atalanta are pretty weak defensively in that department. Have otherwise some good youth prospects that can slot in to this tactic when needed as backup. Also have 2 decent keepers with strong one-on-one attributes - important for combatting the balls over the top. Note, I'm playing on Touch, so no access to shouts / team talks, etc...

Aesthetically, the football has been lovely to watch. I particularly like the combination play between (usually) the FB/R/L, MCR/L and the AMR/L trio down the sides of the pitch, as well the DM stroking the ball left and right to the overlapping full-backs when camped outside the opposition box. On that latter point, l'd say it's not just preferable but vital that the DM has good passing/decision/composure attributes to go with the usual requirements for his role. Also recommend with this setup, due to the threat posed by the counter-attacks over the heads of the CBs, that your GK has strong One-on-One / Rushing Out attributes.

On 31/10/2018 at 20:47, FuSS said:

Final Words of Warning

• If this tactic has one major weakness it is counter-attacking balls over the top, be very wary to Jamie Vardy types and consider using OI's to stop them.
• I've not looked at set pieces at all yet!

On these 2 points you made, the tactical changes I made:

1. I've created a Low Block variant of the tactic; the only adjustments being a Much Lower line of engagement and a Much Lower defensive line and Offside Trap turned off. No other changes. I use this low block specifically against the top teams (Juve/Inter/Napoli) and against teams with fast forwards (which I class as >13 Pace/Accel). Meaning I use your original 'high block' against teams with slow forwards and outright poorer teams and also if I'm chasing a goal at the end of a game. (e.g. The high block is better against Roma who have a slow-ish Dzeko in attack i.e. keeps him away from the box. Whereas I play a low block against Sampdoria who have a speed merchant in Defrel in attack). IMG_20181105_224928.thumb.jpg.2e45343009d1a381d8fa3c7f29007aca.jpg
  2. Set-pieces: I changed the attacking players around in the Attacking Corners setup. And I also pulled one extra player back defending on the Wide Attacking FKs as the team looked exposed to counter-attacks.

11 hours ago, Vokes said:

Hey FuSS, your tactic is working out well for my Atalanta team :thup: . Currently sitting pretty in 3rd spot at the halfway point in Serie A, whereas normally I struggle to make top 8 in that first season.

IMG_20181105_224604.thumb.jpg.b393d0bf6f6b13780bf8c23db51f17a5.jpg

Only major signing of note at the start of the season was a left-back on loan, as Atalanta are pretty weak defensively in that department. Have otherwise some good youth prospects that can slot in to this tactic when needed as backup. Also have 2 decent keepers with strong one-on-one attributes - important for combatting the balls over the top. Note, I'm playing on Touch, so no access to shouts / team talks, etc...

Aesthetically, the football has been lovely to watch. I particularly like the combination play between (usually) the FB/R/L, MCR/L and the AMR/L trio down the sides of the pitch, as well the DM stroking the ball left and right to the overlapping full-backs when camped outside the opposition box. On that latter point, l'd say it's not just preferable but vital that the DM has good passing/decision/composure attributes to go with the usual requirements for his role. Also recommend with this setup, due to the threat posed by the counter-attacks over the heads of the CBs, that your GK has strong One-on-One / Rushing Out attributes.

On these 2 points you made, the tactical changes I made:

1. I've created a Low Block variant of the tactic; the only adjustments being a Much Lower line of engagement and a Much Lower defensive line and Offside Trap turned off. No other changes. I use this low block specifically against the top teams (Juve/Inter/Napoli) and against teams with fast forwards (which I class as >13 Pace/Accel). Meaning I use your original 'high block' against teams with slow forwards and outright poorer teams and also if I'm chasing a goal at the end of a game. (e.g. The high block is better against Roma who have a slow-ish Dzeko in attack i.e. keeps him away from the box. Whereas I play a low block against Sampdoria who have a speed merchant in Defrel in attack). IMG_20181105_224928.thumb.jpg.2e45343009d1a381d8fa3c7f29007aca.jpg
  2. Set-pieces: I changed the attacking players around in the Attacking Corners setup. And I also pulled one extra player back defending on the Wide Attacking FKs as the team looked exposed to counter-attacks.

Really like the low-block idea against superior teams, good thinking.

I'll be releasing an updated version with set pieces shortly, as I hadn't actually changed them from default all yet!

Don't change too much, seems to be working excellently with my Ajax team. I need to play around with the defensive lines as mentioned though as I find I concede around a goal per game.

On 06/11/2018 at 10:46, FuSS said:

Really like the low-block idea against superior teams, good thinking.

I'll be releasing an updated version with set pieces shortly, as I hadn't actually changed them from default all yet!

Interesting read. Using tips I have picked up from Bust The Net on Pressing lines I have created three versions of this tactic.

1. High Press - Exactly as envisaged by Fuss with my own set pieces. 

2. Middle Press - changed mentality to balanced and in possession ( shorter passing, play out of defence, work ball into box, lower tempo) in transition ( take shorter kicks, distribute to CBs, counter and regroup instead of counter press seemed sensible to me when being less aggressive) and out of possession ( defend narrower higher/standard def line, lower line of engagement, extremely urgent, get stuck in, use tighter marking and use offside trap. Don’t think prevent short gk distribution needed when pressing in the middle)

depending on opponent and situation may drop fbs to support to shore up back four  

3. Lower Press- changed mentality to cautious and in possession ( more direct passing and slightly higher tempo seem sensible to me if your backs are against the wall! Even playing for set pieces may be useful if you have good ones) in transition ( only distribute quickly. Again seems sensible if trying to counter a team pushing you back to your goal) and out off possession (defend narrower seems a must along with a lower/much lower def line, lower/much lower line of engagement, more urgent and get stuck in)

always have fbs on support if using this. Don’t use all that often as it is hair raising and only use when hanging on for dear life!

keep all fuss roles and duties and use all the other excellent tips. 

Just my own thoughts and thanks fuss for sharing. 

Edited by loisvale

Lost to Juve on the last day of the season, meaning they pipped me for 3rd spot. Bit annoyed at that :/ Serie A is a tough nut to crack. 

However, overall very happy with the tactical performance and the football produced by this setup. 

2 new signings and I can see the team challenging for the title next season. 

IMG_20181107_191900.jpg

I'm playing with Peterborough in the English first and things seem to be going well. Only half a season in but we're up in the playoff area and definitely competing. Obviously it's harder to find players to meet the requirements at that level but the only issue I can see is that it seems really had for us to score in a lot of games. Lots of possession but not really enough goals.

@FuSS Evening

One for you to look at, been doing some testing / playing around and I've found that Attacking Inverted Wingers in the MR/L positions seem to be much more effective than IF, getting into better positions, FB overlapping better (and not getting in eachothers way high up the pitch). 

Cheers.

Very good tactic Fuss thanks :)

i just feel my CF are not that efficient as i expect as a striker could be but exploit all the potential of my wing backs and i love it.

I also feel very weak on defensive and corner free kicks, it costed me a few draws already. need to find def corner and def free kicks setup.

at home i use your main tactic then away games use the Vokes low block tweaked one. if i am in hurry to score the also tweaked version of White Europe can work.

Both home and away games i tight mark striker(s). i am actually 1st in the league with Stade rennais FC after 19 games and finished 1st on my europa league group ..

36 goals, only 12 conceeded.

Great tactic this, went unbeaten in the league with Ajax, winning 33 from 34. Won the cup and got to the CL final where Liverpool beat me 1-0 with a ball over the top to Salah. 

The only other defeat I had all season was Juventus away in CL group. 

Can put up screenshots later if needed. 

EDIT: I posted earlier that it conceded a goal a game, this seemed to stop almost instantly after that post. Unsure if this was due to an update or tactic familiarity. 

Edited by hm86

17 hours ago, Malicious Penguin said:

I know there's no mention of a ME update to the latest one, but Kilmarnock went from being unbeatable to barely beating Aberdeen and then getting hammered by Celtic (I was on a 109 match unbeaten run in the league...!)

I haven't started my second season using it with Ajax yet, but praying it still works. 

Still using it with FC United of Manchester, currently in season 5 in the championship.

I've bought a regen striker who has scored 25 goals in 27 games with this tactic. 

Give the tactic time to get familliar it will work his wonders

4 hours ago, jeffers89 said:

Still using it with FC United of Manchester, currently in season 5 in the championship.

I've bought a regen striker who has scored 25 goals in 27 games with this tactic. 

Give the tactic time to get familliar it will work his wonders

have u used it from the beginning with fc united??

Decided to use this tactic as a template in LLM but tweaked it slightly and works really well for me.

Tweaks included:

The Out of Possession instructions were too aggressive for lower league teams so lowered the DL, LoE and PI to a more comfortable level. Unticked Tight Marking as I've changed a few player PI's.

Changed FB (A)'s to WB (S)'s. The reason why is because I find when you have Overlap's selected it's better to have supportive fullbacks so their mentality isn't too disjointed from the defence. Adding Overlaps automatically gives the fullbacks more mentality so no need for the attacking role.

Changed CF (S) to DLF (A). Difficult to find at LL level so just went with a bog-standard DLF until I can get better quality.

Edited set-peices slightly as I was giving away too much. Some of it was actually due to the high D-line as well.

I've attached the tactic below if anyone wants to try something which won't get you caught on the break so much. Credit obviously goes to FuSS, I just tailored it to a LL team.

Justified FuSStidious.fmf

Edited by Justified

Hi all,

I'm back from my holiday in the sun, thanks for all the comments! Glad to see the BETA tactic is still working well for most of you.

I'll try and find some time to play some FM this weekend and hopefully get a new version up!

Thanks,
FuSS

Im just away to get it downloaded and give it a go. Will report back. 

In terms of the striker, If i struggle to get a CF should i play a striker in that role anyway or would it be better to change the role to suit the striker? I currently have one target man and two advanced forwards. Many thanks for your work. 

On 20/11/2018 at 16:03, Justified said:

Decided to use this tactic as a template in LLM but tweaked it slightly and works really well for me.

Tweaks included:

The Out of Possession instructions were too aggressive for lower league teams so lowered the DL, LoE and PI to a more comfortable level. Unticked Tight Marking as I've changed a few player PI's.

Changed FB (A)'s to WB (S)'s. The reason why is because I find when you have Overlap's selected it's better to have supportive fullbacks so their mentality isn't too disjointed from the defence. Adding Overlaps automatically gives the fullbacks more mentality so no need for the attacking role.

Changed CF (S) to DLF (A). Difficult to find at LL level so just went with a bog-standard DLF until I can get better quality.

Edited set-peices slightly as I was giving away too much. Some of it was actually due to the high D-line as well.

I've attached the tactic below if anyone wants to try something which won't get you caught on the break so much. Credit obviously goes to FuSS, I just tailored it to a LL team.

Justified FuSStidious.fmf

I quite like some of your tweaks, will be looking the WBs in particular.

I've fixed the set pieces and made the whole tactic a little less aggressive.

I'm still playing with the striker settings - if anyone has any lone striker settings they've found effective I'm all ears on this one.

On 23.11.2018 at 14:51, FuSS said:

I've fixed the set pieces and made the whole tactic a little less aggressive.

I'm still playing with the striker settings - if anyone has any lone striker settings they've found effective I'm all ears on this one.

Any good news FuSS?

V2.0 Changes
There's been a number of major changes since my BETA tactic.
• CF > DLF, I'm still not completely happy with the striker, so will work on this going forward.
• FB > WB, Wingbacks seems less of a liability in FM19, perhaps they've been improved to reflect their popularity in real life?
• Pressing Intensity has been reduced, I think this was overpowered in the BETA and has been tweaked accordingly.
• I've also simplified a few player and team instructions here and there.

This is actually a significantly different tactic, much more restrained and less gegenpressing.

The wingbacks are a bit of a risk - you'll need to keep an eye on them as I haven't tested as much as I'd have liked to.

I've also updated v1.0, to v1.1, this is the original tactic with the set pieces from v2.0.

Edited by FuSS

4 hours ago, White Europe said:

in the new tactic u still using mezzala not CM(A) is that right?

Yeah, I've uploaded the Mezzala version.

It's a position I'm debating though, I don't think the Mez is as effective as in FM18.

On 26/11/2018 at 09:35, FuSS said:

V2.0 Changes
There's been a number of major changes since my BETA tactic.
• CF > DLF, I'm still not completely happy with the striker, so will work on this going forward.
• FB > WB, Wingbacks seems less of a liability in FM19, perhaps they've been improved to reflect their popularity in real life?
• Pressing Intensity has been reduced, I think this was overpowered in the BETA and has been tweaked accordingly.
• I've also simplified a few player and team instructions here and there.

This is actually a significantly different tactic, much more restrained and less gegenpressing.

The wingbacks are a bit of a risk - you'll need to keep an eye on them as I haven't tested as much as I'd have liked to.

I've also updated v1.0, to v1.1, this is the original tactic with the set pieces from v2.0.

18 hours ago, FuSS said:

Yeah, I've uploaded the Mezzala version.

It's a position I'm debating though, I don't think the Mez is as effective as in FM18.

What I've been noticing is maybe a Positive Mentality plus an attacking DLF is maybe making the striker too disconnected from the team? Possibly Standard/Cautious is better for attacking strikers? Also there is no difference in instructions for a DLF on Attack or Support apart from mentality which is interesting. On FM18 I'm pretty sure DLF on attack had make more forward runs.

Disagree on the Mez though, I think he's doing well. You could experiment with his partner maybe to make him more efficient?

Sorry I'm not on FM at the moment until the weekend due to high workload so I can't experiment myself but in theory switching the backs back to Attack, Mez (s or a) + AP (s) in midfield (to clarify Holder/Passer/Runner) + DLF (s) could be an interesting experiment. Should make your team more compact and less spread out but also make the fullbacks overlap more which is what you wanted originally. Also it keeps the Flexible Team Shape which on Positive mentality I do like.

Maybe someone else on the board could run the experiment?

5 hours ago, Justified said:

What I've been noticing is maybe a Positive Mentality plus an attacking DLF is maybe making the striker too disconnected from the team? Possibly Standard/Cautious is better for attacking strikers? Also there is no difference in instructions for a DLF on Attack or Support apart from mentality which is interesting. On FM18 I'm pretty sure DLF on attack had make more forward runs.

Disagree on the Mez though, I think he's doing well. You could experiment with his partner maybe to make him more efficient?

Sorry I'm not on FM at the moment until the weekend due to high workload so I can't experiment myself but in theory switching the backs back to Attack, Mez (s or a) + AP (s) in midfield (to clarify Holder/Passer/Runner) + DLF (s) could be an interesting experiment. Should make your team more compact and less spread out but also make the fullbacks overlap more which is what you wanted originally. Also it keeps the Flexible Team Shape which on Positive mentality I do like.

Maybe someone else on the board could run the experiment?

I'm still getting mixed results on the Mezzala, but haven't had the time to test properly yet. Although as a Championship team it might just boil down to player quality in that sort of position.

I'm pretty sold on the WBs, my Norwich side hasn't conceded in 15 games since switching to WB.

I absolutely will not use an AP,they are drawn to the ball far too much in this engine and make teams very 1-dimensional. The box-to-box has been one of my better performers over the season, that said I do have Scott McTominay on loan from Man Utd and he's of higher quality than most of the Championship can field in that position. 

I will have a look at dropping the DLF to support, I used to use a F9 with most of my tactics to ensure that added dimension of join up, so I'm usually quite fond of strikers that drop deeper.

6 hours ago, FuSS said:

I'm still getting mixed results on the Mezzala, but haven't had the time to test properly yet. Although as a Championship team it might just boil down to player quality in that sort of position.

I'm pretty sold on the WBs, my Norwich side hasn't conceded in 15 games since switching to WB.

I absolutely will not use an AP,they are drawn to the ball far too much in this engine and make teams very 1-dimensional. The box-to-box has been one of my better performers over the season, that said I do have Scott McTominay on loan from Man Utd and he's of higher quality than most of the Championship can field in that position. 

I will have a look at dropping the DLF to support, I used to use a F9 with most of my tactics to ensure that added dimension of join up, so I'm usually quite fond of strikers that drop deeper.

That's fair enough feedback! I haven't tried the new version yet so was just spit balling some ideas off the top of my head. Maybe it's just a case of testing different duties to see where you get the right balance. Maybe a DLF on support with a Free Role could give some joy? That's pretty much a CF without RWB. It most likely will set your shape to Fluid though unless you change the backs.

Edited by Justified