New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen quite a few mention of Cube laptops, which I've not heard much about before. Does anyone know if they're good? Anyone had any experience of them? They seem very good value for money and the design is very easy on the eye.

Thanks in advance.

Cube - based on Clevo laptops, used to be based in Taiwan, but no made in China since 2002.

Good rep from an internet search - lots I think bought from here, nobody came back to complain.

Budget: £350

I'll only have 1 league active at a time.

Only to play FM on.

Game speed is most important

I don't mind if it takes long to save or load.

Don't mind screen size but ideal would be 12-14 inches

Needs to be portable

In the UK

What about 3D?

Slim pickings on your budget and specs -

Would you consider going to 15 inch screen and an extra 50 quid?

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MCG27UK-Lenovo-B40-30_1833905.html

Got my cube laptop today from saveonlaptops.

I've a problem, when i start the laptop all that is showing is a blank screen and curser arrow with a circle flashing.

Everything worked when i got it, there was a device drivers utilities and user manual cd with it, i installed the cd and ut advised me to restart and all I've had since is the arrow and circle flashing.

Anyone shed any light?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3178568.htm

Will this play fm16 comfortably?

I run a large database but generally only one league at a time, prefer 3D graphics but haven't been able to have them on my old laptop.

I don't know the brand but that looks like a really good deal. The graphics card is fairly low end if you want it for other games than FM, but it's still better than what you'll find in most laptops.

Hi, have got the same requirements as davidmn27 (post 2957) but as well as playing FM also would use to play Total War games (not at the same time!); http://www.totalwar.com/

The cube laptops look really good, would probably go for one of the following; http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Cube-CZ-5.htm

I guess the higher the price the better it is to run FM/Total War games?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

Have a wide budget from about £700 to £1000.

Really fancy getting an Apple mac, i hear they don't represent the BEST value for money on the market, but do they run FM perfectly fast with a good match engine?

Not very 'techy'.. What are the best features you look for in a laptop with regards to running FM overall? (speed and graphics)

Could be persuaded to get a PC if someone really sells it to me ;)

Any advice is welcome and appreciated

Thanks in advance

1. Amount of a leagues/clubs - As many as possible

2. Are 3d graphics important? Yes, more detail the better

3. What other tasks do you do when playing FM? Nothing major, twitter, youtube etc.

4. Is game speed essential? Probably my top priority, don't wait to wait ages to continue.

5. Fast load and save times? Do you want your game to load/save faster or do you care that it can take 5 minutes to load/save? Don't mind waiting for to load/save aslong as it continues fast in game.

6.Screen size important? Y/N If yes, what screen size would you prefer? Nothing too small, can't be notebook size.

7.Does it need to be portable (light) or do you want it as a desktop replacement (heavier and not ideal for carrying around but ok for situated in your house a various locations (bedroom, sitting room etc.) - Can't be a desktop replacement, however doesn't need to be too light/portable. Something around the middle would suit however I'm flexible.

8.Where are you in the world and where do you usually buy from online? UK

Budget is £500. Would to buy a known brand rather than someone like Cube but feel free to recommend an unknown brand if you feel that it is better.

Hi all,

Have a wide budget from about £700 to £1000.

Really fancy getting an Apple mac, i hear they don't represent the BEST value for money on the market, but do they run FM perfectly fast with a good match engine?

Not very 'techy'.. What are the best features you look for in a laptop with regards to running FM overall? (speed and graphics)

Could be persuaded to get a PC if someone really sells it to me ;)

Any advice is welcome and appreciated

Thanks in advance

Hi, the difference between Macs and pc's for your budget is vast, £700 is overkill for FM when buying a pc, for a mac.. not so much.

For FM you are looking for CPU first, Ram second, Graphics third ....

For instance, i'm playing on a 6 year old laptop and can play pretty much any size database I want to with barely any issue.

Is FM the only thing you are looking at?

will a decent sata hard drive make much noticeable difference to the game?

Difference between mechanical hard drives is small. Having a solid state drive is a huge all round improvement for any computer though. For FM specifically it will load fast but won't make much difference while playing, but having your PC boot up in 10s and load all the things you use most near instantly is great.

hi just brought this http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/lenovo-g50-45-amd-a8-6410-quad-core-4gb-ram-500gb-windows-8.1-15.6-inch-lap-80e301bkuk/version.asp

normally play all English leagues and just the top leagues of Scotland france Italy spain Germany in 3d, game speed mediumish will do, save/load not bothered my 5year old i3 couldn't handle fm15 was very slow and kept over heating till I brought a cooler pad thanks

Hey, my current laptop feels like it is on it's way out, and I'm in need of a new one. I did post earlier but my post got lost between other posts and I didn't even notice there had been so many replies. Saw someone post a criteria thing to help with chosing a new FM computer so I'll use that and hopefully that will help people help me:

Amount of a leagues/clubs: Currently run about 6 leagues as playable on Large DB, would like to run more.

Are 3d graphics important? No, I don't watch the match in 3d or watch highlights.

What other tasks do you do when playing FM? FM will be the only thing running.

Is game speed essential? I'd like the game to run at a decent speed, don't want to be waiting around too long.

Fast load and save times? Doesn't really matter

Screen size important? No

Does it need to be portable: Laptop only but weight doesnt really matter

Where are you in the world and where do you usually buy from online??? In the UK (England), will most likely buy instore or reserve online but doesn't matter.

Budget: Would prefer not to go over £700 if possible, cheaper the better really

Amount of a leagues/clubs - No more than 5

2.Are 3d graphics important? I would want the option at least, so YES

3.What other tasks do you do when playing FM? Music, web browsing, occasionally downloading a film (but rarely)

4.Is game speed essential? Yes, in-game speed and perfromance is important

5.Fast load and save times? Not overly fussed about load/save times as long as its quick in game

6.Screen size important? Y/N If yes, what screen size would you prefer? Flexible

7.Does it need to be portable (light) - Not too fussed about weight, as long as its not a complete brick

8.Where are you in the world and where do you usually buy from online??? UK

Budget is flexible but top end around £450 - 500, thanks in advance!

EDIT: This is one I have found so far, although I have been recommended to get an SSD drive if possible, which I don;t think this has... - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-aspire-e5-571-cobalt-blue-intel-core-i5-5200u-2.2ghz-8gb-1tb-hdd-dvd-s-nx.msaek.039/version.asp

I've been looking online and found a couple of laptops and wondered if they would meet the criteria I posted above. The first one is a cheaper option:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus_x555la_core_i7_6gb_1tb_15.6_inch_full_hd_windows_8.1_laptop_x555la-xx1017h/version.asp

This is a more expensive option:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-gp60-2qe-15.6-inch-sharkbay-i5-4210h-8gb-1tb-win-8.1-9s7-16gh21-1015/version.asp

How much difference is there between the two, baring in mind I don't run the 3d match and want to process a larger amount of leagues without sacrifising game speed

hi all, I'm looking to get back into fm having not played regularly for 2 seasons, mainly coz my laptop was rubbish and my PC was outdated.

I'm now looking to get a laptop and have a budget of around £600 but I'm a bit unsure of the cube ones as I've read some poor reviews.

basically I'm looking to play eng leagues down to league 1 or 2 and maybe a few of the major euro leagues and want to run medium or large database.

I'm also wanting to run 3d aswell.

I'm mainly buying for fm but will also be for work aswell but not at the same time.

Hey guys, with FM16 coming out soon, I was looking to get a new Laptop but I'm useless when it comes to technology.

What do you guys recommend as a good new laptop for me to purchase to play FM?

I don't really use my laptop for much else, so it's sole purpose will be for Football Manager.

Cheers :thup:

For FM you are looking for CPU first, Ram second, Graphics third

This is true. I recommend the core i3, i5, or i7 CPUs, since all of my laptops with them have performed better than the AMD options out there and the older Intel models. The i3, i5, and i7s also consistently score well on PassMark ratings tests. If you want to know how fast your new computer might be, check its processor model number on the PassMark site (cpubenchmark.net) to see how it scored. Anything scoring above 3000 is plenty fast to run FM. Scoring below 2000 might be a red flag, especially if you want to keep the laptop for more than 1-2 years. Slower processors aren't dealbreakers though. They just require more patience.

RAM is cheap enough that I would buy a laptop with 8 GB instead of 4 GB. 4GB laptops are noticeably cheaper, but they are often cheaper because everything else in the laptop is worse.

A laptop with a discrete graphics card is a must if wanting to play modern 3D games. This type of card adds at least $100 to the price of the laptop, but without it a laptop will struggle to do 3D rendering. I have used a laptop with just integrated graphics and been able to play FM matches in 3D mode, but only with detail low and some occasional stuttering. It's not optimal, but it is possible. I would recommend getting a discrete graphics card laptop if wanting to get the most out of the 3D match views.

Amount of a leagues/clubs - No more than 3/4

2.Are 3d graphics important? I would want the option at least, so YES

3.What other tasks do you do when playing FM? Music, web browsing, occasionally downloading a film (but rarely)

4.Is game speed essential? Yes, in-game speed and perfromance is important

5.Fast load and save times? Not overly fussed about load/save times as long as its quick in game

6.Screen size important? Y/N If yes, what screen size would you prefer? 13/14

7.Does it need to be portable (light) -Yes

i5/i7 wanted really.

Struggling to find anything!

Hi all

I've had a late 2011 MacBook Pro model for the last 3 and a half years. Still not decided if I'm going to buy FM16 but I definitely want to upgrade in time for FM17. Any advice please:

Amount of a leagues/clubs ... Lots/Medium

Are 3d graphics important? Yes

What other tasks do you do when playing FM? ... Watch Videos occasionally, listen to music/write letters/emails/ etc.

Is game speed essential? Preferrable, but don't really mind as long as it's not too slow

Fast load and save times? Don't mind

Screen size important? 13 or 15 inch

Does it need to be portable Yes

Where are you in the world and where do you usually buy from online??? UK

Budget? £700-£1,000 max

Got budget up to £600 maximum

Just be playing new FM and using web, online banking etc, stream movies, Sky go & TV anywhere, Ability to use word/excel/pdf also occasionaly will print stuff.

Found this on Argos and think i can get £100 cashback on my old tower

http://www.argos.co....ber/3309825.htm

Amount of a leagues/clubs - up to 10(all english speaking)

2.Are 3d graphics important? Yes

3.What other tasks do you do when playing FM? Web browse mainly other uses streaming, open PDF etc

4.Is game speed essential? Yes as dont get as much time to play these days

6.Screen size important? not really, can link up to a TV/Monitor if needed

7.Does it need to be portable (light) - Not really as will just be used in house

Quick question - is there a massive difference between a laptop with a i7-4700MQ + GeForce 840M and one with a i5-4200M + GeForce GT740M? Other than that they're practically identical and the only gaming they'd be used for would be FM.

There is a pretty huge difference between the processors. The i7 is pretty much top of the line, the i5 is barely mid range. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp=2016&cmp[]=1923"][]=2016&cmp[]=1923

According to that the i7 is almost twice as fast as the i5.

I've currently got an ASUS K55A 2.4 dual core with an SSD but i'm looking to upgrade. I want a laptop that can handle a good amout of leagues but I'm not sure what processing power is required. I play on 2d graphics so I'm not too fussed about that. Ideally I'd like to spend £600-£750 maybe a bit more if it's better. Currently FM is taking about 99% of my processer when I play it and I have to wait a while when clicking stuff on FM.

Got budget up to £600 maximum

Just be playing new FM and using web, online banking etc, stream movies, Sky go & TV anywhere, Ability to use word/excel/pdf also occasionaly will print stuff.

Found this on Argos and think i can get £100 cashback on my old tower

http://www.argos.co....ber/3309825.htm

Amount of a leagues/clubs - up to 10(all english speaking)

2.Are 3d graphics important? Yes

3.What other tasks do you do when playing FM? Web browse mainly other uses streaming, open PDF etc

4.Is game speed essential? Yes as dont get as much time to play these days

6.Screen size important? not really, can link up to a TV/Monitor if needed

7.Does it need to be portable (light) - Not really as will just be used in house

Anybody?

Amount of a leagues/clubs - lots, as many as possible

2.Are 3d graphics important? Yes, more detail the better

3.What other tasks do you do when playing FM? not much else, web browsing, emails etc.

4.Is game speed essential? Yes...want fast progression.

5.Fast load and save times? Do you want your game to load/save faster or do you care that it can take 5 minutes to load/save? Not overly fussed about load/save times as long as its quick in game

6.Screen size important? Y/N If yes, what screen size would you prefer? 15 or above, ideally HD (for watching movies)

7.Does it need to be portable (light) or do you want it as a desktop replacement (heavier and not ideal for carrying around but ok for situated in your house a various locations (bedroom, sitting room etc.) - something pretty light and sleek would be nice

Hi, is anyone able to provide any help/advice on the requests above? Really after something in the £600 region that will blitz FM with numerous leagues. Graphics not quite as important as speed and fluidity.

Sorry to hassle and chase, I know its free advice so any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks

This is best laptop I can see currently for <£600 ... http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/CB-CZ5840-1010SP-Cube-Chameleon-CZ-5840_1811157.html

Bare in mind, it is probably overkill if your needs are just casual fm gaming.. but it really is a great deal for the price, I'm not quite sure how it is that cheap tbh.

Has a great CPU (most important factor Re. FM)

Plenty of RAM

Loads of HDD space (no SSD though, in case that was important for you)

and a 2gb dedicated graphics card as well...

It'll play anything you throw at it decently ...

Quite tempted myself.

Only thing putting me off that is its Cube and heard there a nightmare to deal with if any problems, How does that Argos 1 i linked look in your opinion as one thing with them is peace of mind if any issues.

Only thing putting me off that is its Cube and heard there a nightmare to deal with if any problems, How does that Argos 1 i linked look in your opinion as one thing with them is peace of mind if any issues.

You posted the wrong link..

It says unavailable on that website but I found it here for £90 cheaper with windows 10 http://www.box.co.uk/Cube_Chameleon_CZ-5840_1811159.html

edit : actually it has a different screen resolution.

It's completely different, check the cpu.

It's ok spec wise, about a middle class cpu, not very new either.. problem is the price tbh. The one i linked for instance is so far above this one from argos it isn't even funny. I'd rather deal with Box, who, while I've heard the stories, I've never had issues with in my limited dealings with them.

Sorry about this and if i pay a little more i get i7 & Quad Core

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3178568.htm

Is this worth it, Basically i cant afford to lose this cash and just looking at reviews for that save on laptops ive not seen anything positive when theres been issues where as you big chains normally dont even quible so peace of mind is a big thing.

Archived