New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

that's the kind of thing i could be after,

is it all good spec etc?

It's a bit old but should do the job. If you can somehow get a copy of Windows 7 (though I don't see why that is absolutely necessary as Windows 8 is pretty much the same in terms of architecture - unless this is a work requirement in which case I assume you can charge Windows 7 to work expenses) you can try this: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOVO-Z500-59399413_1492687.html it has really good specs for the price and also has a backlit keyboard.

This one has windows 7: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-P653-NX.V7FEK.002_1315384.html

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a bit old but should do the job. If you can somehow get a copy of Windows 7 (though I don't see why that is absolutely necessary as Windows 8 is pretty much the same in terms of architecture - unless this is a work requirement in which case I assume you can charge Windows 7 to work expenses) you can try this: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOVO-Z500-59399413_1492687.html it has really good specs for the price and also has a backlit keyboard.

This one has windows 7: http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-P653-NX.V7FEK.002_1315384.html

thanks mate.

That website gives very little information. If it's definitely between those three, pick the Acer or the HP as they are almost equal. If you want a Sony, don't buy it from that website.

Thanks MSCCG.

Me and decision making never go together! I agree that the site doesn't give much detail. Not sure why when they want to sell an item! Not even as if you can go in store and look at them at Argos either.

How about this one? http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Lenovo_IdeaPad_G500_Black_Core_i5-4200M_4GB_1TB_15.6_Win8_64-Bit_DVD_RW_UM_59400144/version.asp

The processor speed looks fine, it's the graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 4400) I would be wondering about. I haven't played FM since 2010 (I think) so I'm not sure how far it has progressed. I rarely watched the game footage anyway. But that was down to my laptop's inability to work well at the time.

I just want to start playing FM again (and for the next few years) and be able to run the game smoothly.

Need to upgrade my laptop anyway and was looking at Lenovo before the FM bug hit me.

How about this one? http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/Lenovo_IdeaPad_G500_Black_Core_i5-4200M_4GB_1TB_15.6_Win8_64-Bit_DVD_RW_UM_59400144/version.asp

The processor speed looks fine, it's the graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 4400) I would be wondering about. I haven't played FM since 2010 (I think) so I'm not sure how far it has progressed. I rarely watched the game footage anyway. But that was down to my laptop's inability to work well at the time.

I just want to start playing FM again (and for the next few years) and be able to run the game smoothly.

Need to upgrade my laptop anyway and was looking at Lenovo before the FM bug hit me.

Should be fine for FM only for the next few years. Of course you'll have to reduce the quality of the game as the years go by but for this year at least it'll run smoothly.

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying this macbook.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/apple-laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-with-retina-display-21576119-pdt.html

Will the graphics card be good enough for 3D etc?

Iris graphics will handle the match engine fine I would expect. However, leaving FM2014 aside, if you have the budget the MBPr 13" with 8Gb RAM and 256G SSD for one hundred and fifty quid more is a far better deal. I couldn't cope with 4Gb RAM and such small storage due to the fact they are non upgradeable on the retina display MBPs. I max'd out my 2012 model so it would do me for the next 5 years.

Any idea which of the two would be better?

Also why is he saying both would be too weak? what makes them weak?

Or what is it that makes them fine?

Needing a high spec is a myth when it comes to FM.

Unless you are running a stupid amount of leagues with simultaneous apps/programs in the background both are fine.

They are both relatively entry level so both have there minus points. Personally I would go for the Acer because it has an i5 processor and you can always update the memory at a later date.

Having side that you could probably find a better laptop for similar price / slightly more anyway if you shop around more.

MSCCG.

It might be a good idea to post a what to look for in your new laptop/desktop for FM. Save you a bunch of time replying.

I'm looking for a rig that can comfortably run about 500 players. Budget about $500.

What would say I need to look for? What's the difference in processor speed of 50k to 90k player depth?

Hi everyone, some advice about a new laptop would be appreciated please.

I live in South Africa so my options are limited compared to yours I'm guessing. I've always played on a PC with a graphics card so I'm not too certain about laptop specs. It will only be used for FM14 gaming wise, and for work.

I'm not looking to spend too much on it so I was looking at the following laptop, could you tell me if it would run ok and if the graphics for 3D matches would be decent (medium quality perhaps)?

Lenovo G500 notebook

Intel core i3-3110M 2.4GHZ

6GB RAM

The other option is a Dell that costs 20% more and has an i5 processor, but I don't have the exact specs on hand.

If the above laptop would run the game ok (say the top divisions of 4 nations as an example) and the graphics will be decent then it's my first choice, but I'm happy to pay the extra 20% if you think it would be worth it.

Thanks.

Edit: found the Dell specs.

Intel Core i5-4200U 2.6GHZ

6GB RAM

Are these specs for a laptop ok to run the game quite fast?

AMD A8 3500M 1.50GHZ with Radeon HD Graphics

8 GB RAM

64 Bit

Windows 7

Should be fine, depending on how many leagues you run and the number of players loaded.

Hi everyone, some advice about a new laptop would be appreciated please.

I live in South Africa so my options are limited compared to yours I'm guessing. I've always played on a PC with a graphics card so I'm not too certain about laptop specs. It will only be used for FM14 gaming wise, and for work.

I'm not looking to spend too much on it so I was looking at the following laptop, could you tell me if it would run ok and if the graphics for 3D matches would be decent (medium quality perhaps)?

Lenovo G500 notebook

Intel core i3-3110M 2.4GHZ

6GB RAM

The other option is a Dell that costs 20% more and has an i5 processor, but I don't have the exact specs on hand.

If the above laptop would run the game ok (say the top divisions of 4 nations as an example) and the graphics will be decent then it's my first choice, but I'm happy to pay the extra 20% if you think it would be worth it.

Thanks.

Edit: found the Dell specs.

Intel Core i5-4200U 2.6GHZ

6GB RAM

Probably not worth it as the i5 is a U series which is focused on power saving. An i5 m series would give a lot more power. Here's a comparison: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/145/Intel_Core_i3_Mobile_i3-3110M_(BGA)_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-4200U.html

I would advise an i5 3230m at least for a longer lasting machine, but your i3 should be fine if budget is limited.

Probably not worth it as the i5 is a U series which is focused on power saving. An i5 m series would give a lot more power. Here's a comparison: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/145/Intel_Core_i3_Mobile_i3-3110M_(BGA)_vs_Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-4200U.html

I would advise an i5 3230m at least for a longer lasting machine, but your i3 should be fine if budget is limited.

Thank you, that's great.

Would this be able to play FM 2014 at a high speed/level? I want to be able to run several leagues simultaneously? But I'd like it to play fast and smoothly please help.

Model: NP300E5A

RAM: 6GB

HDD: 300GB

Processor: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a ACERP Aspire P3-171 11.6" Touchscreen Ultrabook 2 in 1. It does fit the spec requirements for Football Manager 2014 (4GB ram, intel 5 processor), however I was wondering how well I would be able to run FM14, or if anyone has had any past experience playing Fm14 on this Ultrabook.

Thanks

I currently own this ACER Aspire 5560G laptop with these specs and was thinking about buying a new desktop/laptop but first wanted an opinion as to how good my current laptop is for Football Manager?

1.5GHz AMD A8-3500M quad-core processor

15.6in (1366 x 768) glossy LED-backlit display

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

8GB DDR3-1333MHz RAM

750GB 2.5in SATA 5400rpm hard disk

AMD Radeon HD 6740G2 with 1GB VRAM dual graphics

DVD±RW drive

VGA, HDMI

3 x USB 2.0

SD/xD/MS Pro card reader

802.11b/g/n

Bluetooth 3.0

gigabit ethernet

stereo speakers

headphone jack

mic input

webcam

48Wh removable lithium-ion battery

382 x 253 x 33mm

2.6kg

If I was to buy a new laptop/desktop what one would you guys recommend and which components are most essential? How would this desktop fare - http://www.dell.com/ie/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd?oc=d00ar212&model_id=alienware-x51-r2 ?

A brief question, what kind of performance - in FM terms - can I expect from Lenovo Z500, CPU is Intel Core i7 3632QM, 8 GB RAM, graphics GeForce GT740M.

Thank you very much in advance for your comments!

My computer has similar specs. I run the 5 major leagues down several tiers, and also several major leagues around the world. I also have a few leagues on view only. All on a large database.

Would this be able to play FM 2014 at a high speed/level? I want to be able to run several leagues simultaneously? But I'd like it to play fast and smoothly please help.

Model: NP300E5A

RAM: 6GB

HDD: 300GB

Processor: Intel Core i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz

This model seems quite old. You are already using it? It should run a few countries no problem. If in doubt, start with the big 3 (England, Germany, Spain) down two or three tiers and go from there.

Hi, I am looking at purchasing a ACERP Aspire P3-171 11.6" Touchscreen Ultrabook 2 in 1. It does fit the spec requirements for Football Manager 2014 (4GB ram, intel 5 processor), however I was wondering how well I would be able to run FM14, or if anyone has had any past experience playing Fm14 on this Ultrabook.

Thanks

It won't do a good job. Football manager is not touch screen optimized, and U series processors have lowered clock speeds which means that it's not going to be a smooth experience. If you have a main computer you can install it on the ultrabook and play classic mode, but don't expect a full experience.

I currently own this ACER Aspire 5560G laptop with these specs and was thinking about buying a new desktop/laptop but first wanted an opinion as to how good my current laptop is for Football Manager?

1.5GHz AMD A8-3500M quad-core processor

15.6in (1366 x 768) glossy LED-backlit display

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

8GB DDR3-1333MHz RAM

750GB 2.5in SATA 5400rpm hard disk

AMD Radeon HD 6740G2 with 1GB VRAM dual graphics

DVD±RW drive

VGA, HDMI

3 x USB 2.0

SD/xD/MS Pro card reader

802.11b/g/n

Bluetooth 3.0

gigabit ethernet

stereo speakers

headphone jack

mic input

webcam

48Wh removable lithium-ion battery

382 x 253 x 33mm

2.6kg

If I was to buy a new laptop/desktop what one would you guys recommend and which components are most essential? How would this desktop fare - http://www.dell.com/ie/p/alienware-x51-r2/pd?oc=d00ar212&model_id=alienware-x51-r2 ?

Your current laptop could probably play FM for one or two more years depending on your settings. Could definitely see it running a few leagues with a medium sized database.

For FM, CPU and RAM are probably most important for ensuring smooth gameplay. With your budget, you can probably look for at least an intel i5, preferably i7 CPU, with 8+GB of RAM. That will get you a good gaming experience with plenty of memory left over to surf the web and watch movies while you play.

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating getting a new laptop for FM but are is the current spec of my laptop ok, as follows:

Acer Aspire 5333

Intel Celeron ® CPU P4600@2.00GHz 2.00GHz

4GB RAM

64-bit Operating System

Intel HD Graphics

Is this any good?

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating getting a new laptop for FM but are is the current spec of my laptop ok, as follows:

Acer Aspire 5333

Intel Celeron ® CPU P4600@2.00GHz 2.00GHz

4GB RAM

64-bit Operating System

Intel HD Graphics

Is this any good?

What are your usual settings when you start a game? This can run FM depending on your requirements.

What is your budget for your new computer? Might not be worth buying a new one now if your budget is too low.

What are your usual settings when you start a game? This can run FM depending on your requirements.

What is your budget for your new computer? Might not be worth buying a new one now if your budget is too low.

I usually only play English leagues tbh, from PL to Conf N/S. Whatever league I play in, I tend to not load too many leagues, usually load up English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portugese etc and all runs smoothly! Just thought a better laptop would give a better performance.

I usually only play English leagues tbh, from PL to Conf N/S. Whatever league I play in, I tend to not load too many leagues, usually load up English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portugese etc and all runs smoothly! Just thought a better laptop would give a better performance.

A better laptop will give you better performance obviously, but if your requirements are not huge there's no point having all that power sitting there having emptied your wallet.

If you're already playing FM, you've gone through about five months of it so might as well wait for a bit longer and save up for something nice.

That said, the specs of your current computer means that its life is coming to an end. If you're using this as an opportunity to upgrade anyway, there are numerous recommendations in the thread that you might want to have a look at. Depending on your budget, you can get something quite nice to replace it, and maybe even activate a few more leagues and players.

Hi, my current laptop will no longer play football manager so i am looking to find a new one with a budget of about £450.

My knowledge on computer specs is sadly lacking but from a bit of research i have come up with the one on the link which costs a bit more than hoped for at £489.

Will this be okay to play FM, stream films/live tv etc and is there any better alternatives at a similar or cheaper price?

Link- http://www.ebuyer.com/612806-acer-e1-laptop-nx-m09ek-037?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=COHylbDLl70CFQUcwwodzlgA8A

Cheers

Hi, my current laptop will no longer play football manager so i am looking to find a new one with a budget of about £450.

My knowledge on computer specs is sadly lacking but from a bit of research i have come up with the one on the link which costs a bit more than hoped for at £489.

Will this be okay to play FM, stream films/live tv etc and is there any better alternatives at a similar or cheaper price?

Link- http://www.ebuyer.com/612806-acer-e1-laptop-nx-m09ek-037?utm_source=google&utm_medium=products&gclid=COHylbDLl70CFQUcwwodzlgA8A

Cheers

That's probably the best you're going to get. Or you can try this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/614850-lenovo-ideapad-g510-laptop-59406141

Bit cheaper and a newer model. But you might have to upgrade the RAM after a year or two.

What I always tell people though is that if you don't spend the money now, you'll need to replace it sooner. But you sound like you need it now, so pick the best you can.

Hi all,

I'm getting a new laptop and need a bit of advice and help along the way. I have been looking around and I quite like the look of the Dell Inspiron 15R found here

http://www.dell.com/...spiron-15r-5537

Not a bad machine but im sure you lot are going to say there is better and dell is rubbish etc.

So my budget is between £450 and £600 at a push. - Hoping to get one around £500 ish.

I want it so have dedicated graphics for gaming (the one in the link has a 2gb card) etc going to be used for Footy Manager, working on, streaming etc.. Was hoping for a quad core machine also. There was a 15R i7 Quad core on dells site a couple of weeks back but it looks like they have changed the specs of it now.

cheers.

Hi all,

I'm getting a new laptop and need a bit of advice and help along the way. I have been looking around and I quite like the look of the Dell Inspiron 15R found here

http://www.dell.com/...spiron-15r-5537

Not a bad machine but im sure you lot are going to say there is better and dell is rubbish etc.

So my budget is between £450 and £600 at a push. - Hoping to get one around £500 ish.

I want it so have dedicated graphics for gaming (the one in the link has a 2gb card) etc going to be used for Footy Manager, working on, streaming etc.. Was hoping for a quad core machine also. There was a 15R i7 Quad core on dells site a couple of weeks back but it looks like they have changed the specs of it now.

cheers.

Your link doesn't work, because you didn't copy and paste it correctly. From what I can see though, the Dell Inspiron 15R is ok. It's built more for portability and battery life than power though. I can't see what price you can get it for so can't comment on that. I have seen some good specials on the dell website occasionally though. Also, if you don't need to buy a new laptop right now, NVIDIA just announced a new series of graphics chips for laptops that apparently help save a lot of power so it might be a good idea to wait for a while, especially if you need the improved battery life.

Don't get lured in by i3, i5 and i7 in thinking higher is better. A 5th gen i3 is a hell of a lot better to run things on than an out outdated i7 from 2011/2012.

As it is the Dell machine you have identified is fine. The thinking you need a great laptop for FM is a myth anyway.

'That's probably the best you're going to get. Or you can try this one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/614850-lenovo-...aptop-59406141

Bit cheaper and a newer model. But you might have to upgrade the RAM after a year or two.

What I always tell people though is that if you don't spend the money now, you'll need to replace it sooner. But you sound like you need it now, so pick the best you can.'

Thanks for that, any other advice welcome.... out of those 2 which would you recommend?

Hi

Im pretty clued up on computers/laptops and specs but clearly not as much as some on here. BUt im looking for any good deals basically that will run FM well.

I only have a small budget as its going on the credit card so want to be sensible. Max ideally would be £400 tops but i keep seeing this Acer i7 for 489, really dont want to spend that much so any other good deals out there?

Currently looking at

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/refurbished-laptops/acer-v5-552-refurbished-15-6-laptop-iron-21932077-pdt.html

or

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5089521.htm?cmpid=APP01#pdpFullProductInformation

or

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/refurbished-laptops/hp-pavilion-15-n097ea-refurbished-15-6-laptop-goji-berry-21932083-pdt.html?awc=1598_1395362020_9ce689aebc93c07ac30414961d7896df&srcid=369&xtor=AL-11&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~Communities%20%26%20UGC&istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=qqpxmxaa&istBid=t

What do people think, anything better available for similar prices or a little more?

Screen Size 15.6 inches

Max Screen Resolution 1366x768 (HD), 16:9 aspect ratio, Supports 720p content

Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core 2020M

RAM SDRAM DDR3

Hard Drive 750 GB

Graphics Coprocessor Intel HD graphics

Wireless Type 802.11B, 802.11G, 802.11n

Expand

Other Technical Details

Brand Name Toshiba

Series Satellite

Item model number PSCF6U-01Y00C