New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm considering spending £1500 on PC goodness. My options are to either spend the full amount on a super-powered PC, or spend £900 on a PC and £600 on a laptop, so I can play FM (and by the sounds of it most other modern games like Skyrim etc) on both machines.

I know that the laptop would run FM fine, and I'm pretty sure that either PC would run FM fine too. But I'm guessing that with the more expensive PC it would be longer before I needed to upgrade it. And when it comes to the laptop, it would be fine for FM now, but a point would come where it wouldn't be able to play it any more, and with them being hard to upgrade, I would probably just have to sell it.

So what would you do? PC or PC + Laptop?

I'm considering spending £1500 on PC goodness. My options are to either spend the full amount on a super-powered PC, or spend £900 on a PC and £600 on a laptop, so I can play FM (and by the sounds of it most other modern games like Skyrim etc) on both machines.

I know that the laptop would run FM fine, and I'm pretty sure that either PC would run FM fine too. But I'm guessing that with the more expensive PC it would be longer before I needed to upgrade it. And when it comes to the laptop, it would be fine for FM now, but a point would come where it wouldn't be able to play it any more, and with them being hard to upgrade, I would probably just have to sell it.

Depends on your needs. Do you want to take a laptop with you somewhere? Do you travel often? Do you want to move around your house with the laptop? If yes then either buy just a laptop or PC/laptop combo as you suggested. But if your answer to these questions is no, better spend all that money on a monster PC. High end motherboard, 4-th geneneration i7, water cooler, 16GB of RAM, SSD + HDD, Nvidia GeForce Titan, 24 inch gaming monitor etc.

Yeah I suppose the super-PC is the more sensible option. I am going on a trip soon, but it's rare that I travel. And I won't need to buy a gaming monitor, because I'll be going to the plasma TV through HDMI, so I can save some money there.

I just need to hurry up and buy a machine that will run FM anyway!

Yeah I suppose the super-PC is the more sensible option. I am going on a trip soon, but it's rare that I travel. And I won't need to buy a gaming monitor, because I'll be going to the plasma TV through HDMI, so I can save some money there.

But, if you can't do that just look around and list the PCs you've found and we'll give you an opinion.

I just need to hurry up and buy a machine that will run FM anyway!

It would be the best if you could custom build it by buying the parts because it will be way cheaper than buying the machine built already. But, if you can't do that just look around and list the PCs you've found and we'll give you an opinion.

Here's a custom build machine in your price range:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-core-i7-overclocking,3596.html

You could even go for an Alienware machine if you are into those:

http://www.alienware.co.uk/Landings/desktops.aspx

Hello everybody,

I'd like to buy a new desktop for a daily office work and FM 14 as the only game. I'd like to use it for at least 5 years along with future versions of FM. Wanna have 8 GB RAM with some cheap GPU but I'm hesitating about the CPU. At the same price level, is quad or six core AMD better for FM than dual core Intel ?

Thanks for your opinions.

Looking for a pc base or whats best for my budget which up to £500 but the cheaper the better as will only be used for FM and very little browsing.

Looking for one that could run atleast 2-3 countries 7-12 leagues quite easy and fast through many seasons. Would be on Wi-Fi so built in would be an advantage.

Hey,

I'm also looking for a suggestion.

I want a light, portable laptop, with good long battery (Haswell processor). Ideally, would like it to also have a dedicated graphics processor.

I really want a Macbook air, but not sure how wise that is if I want to play games (even just the likes of FM or Civ) on it for the next 4-5 years.

It's hard to find any windows laptops that comes close in terms of portability, without paying a really high amount. Even most of the ultrabooks are almost the same weight as MacBook pro's.

Looking for a pc base or whats best for my budget which up to £500 but the cheaper the better as will only be used for FM and very little browsing.

Looking for one that could run atleast 2-3 countries 7-12 leagues quite easy and fast through many seasons. Would be on Wi-Fi so built in would be an advantage.

£499

•Intel® Core™ i5 Processor

•8Gb DDR3 RAM

•1Tb SATA hard drive

•Tray-in Supermulti DVD RW

•2Gb Dedicated Graphics

•802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi

•USB 3.0; USB 2.0; HDMI

•Wired keyboard and mouse

•Microsoft Windows 8

Once again for folk looking at laptops to play games ... Then don't ,, Laptops are not built for games they will over heat no matter what you spend . cpu brun out in no time

http://www.very.co.uk/asus-k5130-intelreg-coretrade-i5-processor-8gb-1tb-base-unit-with-2gb-dedicated-graphics-black/1315540497.prd?pageNumber=2

How would this do on FM14:

Processor: Intel Core i5-4200U (1.6GHz)

RAM: 4GB

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4400

Operating System: Windows 8

Storage Capacity: 500 GB, HDD, SSD

FM will be the only game I will play on it. Usually load top two division for Italy, England, Spain, France, Germany and top division for Russia, Portugal and Ukraine. Only Italy, Spain, Russia and maybe one more will be playable. I will also load databases for several African nations that are not normally playable to make them playable.

Hi guys, just bought a new laptop and currently ready to start up the BETA for FM14, would this new machine be able to hold a good amount of leagues/nations in a long term save.

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz)

Windows 8 64bit, English

15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768)

8GB1 DDR3L at 1600MHz

1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Or how would this do:

4th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-4500U (1.80GHz 1600MHz 4MB)

Windows 8.1 Pro 64

8GB DDR3L 1600 MHz

Integrated Intel® HD graphics 4400

The ones you picked out will do fine with what you need, depending on your speed requirements. However, the U series i7 and i5 are designed for low power consumption so they will be slower than other i5 and i7.

Hi guys, just bought a new laptop and currently ready to start up the BETA for FM14, would this new machine be able to hold a good amount of leagues/nations in a long term save.

4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz)

Windows 8 64bit, English

15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with Truelife and HD resolution (1366 x 768)

8GB1 DDR3L at 1600MHz

1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Yes it will, but as has been mentioned many times your idea of "good amount of leagues" is a subjective matter. You should experiment with the beta and discover for yourself what is comfortable.

Hey,

I'm also looking for a suggestion.

I want a light, portable laptop, with good long battery (Haswell processor). Ideally, would like it to also have a dedicated graphics processor.

I really want a Macbook air, but not sure how wise that is if I want to play games (even just the likes of FM or Civ) on it for the next 4-5 years.

It's hard to find any windows laptops that comes close in terms of portability, without paying a really high amount. Even most of the ultrabooks are almost the same weight as MacBook pro's.

Even top of the line laptops will struggle to give you 4-5 years. So trying to find an ultraportable that can also do that is going to be a very, very difficult task. A new MacBook Air will give you 3-4 years, and competitor ultrabooks will give you mayber around the same, maybe less. Here is a bunch of competitor comparisons, all of which can play FM and Civilization V (but not at very high detail). http://blog.laptopmag.com/apple-macbook-air-2013-vs-the-competition. Alternatively, the ASUS Zenbook is also a really nice little machine. Don't ever expect great performances from an ultraportable, but you must have reasons for needing one and you'll have to compromise.

Do you have any preferences to parts or brands, etc? Or any minimum requirements in terms of RAM or graphics? Would you like a laptop, a desktop PC or an all-in-one? Or at least a preferred website? This isn't exactly a computing forum so it's a difficult question when you come in and say "build me a PC". Maybe have a browse around and pick out a few then if you're still confused then come back and ask.

The minimum requirements for the game are:

PC System Requirements

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon XP: 1.6GHz+ V/7/8: 2.2GHz+

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ATI Radeon 9800 Intel GMA X3100 128MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

Hello everybody,

I'd like to buy a new desktop for a daily office work and FM 14 as the only game. I'd like to use it for at least 5 years along with future versions of FM. Wanna have 8 GB RAM with some cheap GPU but I'm hesitating about the CPU. At the same price level, is quad or six core AMD better for FM than dual core Intel ?

Thanks for your opinions.

The minimum requirements for the game are:

PC System Requirements

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon XP: 1.6GHz+ V/7/8: 2.2GHz+

Memory: 1 GB RAM

Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ATI Radeon 9800 Intel GMA X3100 128MB VRAM

DirectX: Version 9.0c

Network: Broadband Internet connection

Hard Drive: 3 GB available space

It's hard to say. It doesn't look like FM is optimized for six cores so you shouldn't see much performance increase in having more cores, but if you run multiple processes simultaneously it may be helpful in the future. Furthermore, the CPU is the most difficult and expensive part to replace in a desktop so you probably want to spend as much as you can at the start.

I personally bought a really good laptop so that I can take it out with me, and then plug it into a large monitor when I get home. There's always that option. It's nice to be able to move the laptop around the house or take it outside, and the laptop performs as expected. If you take care of your laptop, it is easier to sell than used up parts in your PC. Alternatively, you can pass it on to a family member later on.

When I was younger and had ample time to tinker with my PC, I thought it was much more economical and easier to get a desktop and upgrade it as needed, but realized that it is only useful for upgrading storage, RAM, video graphics and possibly broken parts. Realistically, if you're not completely computer savvy, you'd find it very difficult to upgrade your motherboard and CPU, possibly the most important parts of your PC. You risk breaking your computer every time you open it up, you risk breaking your computer whenever you upgrade because you may make miscalculations with power and heat management, and a lot of time is wasted on figuring those out. Plus, being able to just close the lid and slip it into a drawer and lock it saves a lot of space and increases security.

I hope they have optimised the processing of FM 14 - bloody joke the way it is on laptops!

I've started a game on the Beta and it looks like the day-to-day processing times are about the same, maybe slightly faster but could just be my imagination. However, massive processing breaks such as at the beginning of the game, between holidays and seasons seem to have improved. I'm assuming from this that the game probably won't slow down as much after a few seasons like it used to in FM13.

I personally bought a really good laptop so that I can take it out with me, and then plug it into a large monitor when I get home. There's always that option. It's nice to be able to move the laptop around the house or take it outside, and the laptop performs as expected. If you take care of your laptop, it is easier to sell than used up parts in your PC. Alternatively, you can pass it on to a family member later on.

When I was younger and had ample time to tinker with my PC, I thought it was much more economical and easier to get a desktop and upgrade it as needed, but realized that it is only useful for upgrading storage, RAM, video graphics and possibly broken parts. Realistically, if you're not completely computer savvy, you'd find it very difficult to upgrade your motherboard and CPU, possibly the most important parts of your PC. You risk breaking your computer every time you open it up, you risk breaking your computer whenever you upgrade because you may make miscalculations with power and heat management, and a lot of time is wasted on figuring those out. Plus, being able to just close the lid and slip it into a drawer and lock it saves a lot of space and increases security.

I'm really torn at the moment, as with the £1500, I'm looking at:

a) an ultra PC (up to £1500) for FM and latest games at home, forget about laptops, and mobile gaming will have to just be the iPod and Android

b) a powerful PC (up to £1000), and a powerful laptop for £500 (possibly something like the Acer V5-572G), allowing for FM and the latest games at home and on the go, as well as the less demanding games (such as Roguelikes)

c) an ultra/powerful PC (up to £1350) allowing for the latest games at home and on the go, and an old refurbished Dell D430 laptop, allowing for Roguelikes on the go

d) an ultra laptop (up to £1500), allowing for everything everywhere, but sacrificing power for price, and not necessarily allowing for the future. My only argument in favour of this would be that my current PC gets fairly dusty inside (because I don't clean the flat as often as I should), and a laptop wouldn't have that problem, because I would put it away in it's case when not in use. Although I'm sure I get some good dust protection for the new desktop

These choices all depend on various factors, such as:

a) would I enjoy and/or be good at FM? I'm sure I would love it, and hopefully I would be decent enough to do well, but if not, then a decent laptop would have been a waste of money (but the D430 wouldn't have been because of the Roguelikes)

b) could I justify spending £150 on a refurbished Dell D430 (allowing for delivery and buying a new battery), when I could get the Acer V5-572G for £500, only £350 more (the D430 is really tiny and light, perfect for Roguelikes on the go, but definitely not for FM)?

c) could I justify buying any kind of laptop at all when I don't travel much? I imagine that I would play FM on my new desktop anyway (through the TV via HDMI), so I'm not sure how much I would use it

d) will my job contract be extended? At the moment I don't know the answer to that. But if the answer is no, then it may be a long time before I can afford something new, so I may be looking to go "future-proof"

Hey guys I was going to buy this laptop tomorrow would it be value for money and play fm14 at a decent speed or shall I start my search again?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/toshiba-c50d-a-13v-15-6-laptop-21750394-pdt.html#longDesc

If it's garbage could any 1 recommend something for a similar price I'm not expecting miracles just something reliable really

Thanks

AFAIK, Football Manager is not supported on tablets.

I'm talking about the tablets which run the full version of Windows 8. They're effectively just a notebook in tablet form. I just want to know if FM14 runs well on the lower end Intel processors used in those tablets or do I need to fork out for a more expensive CPU.

Hey guys I was going to buy this laptop tomorrow would it be value for money and play fm14 at a decent speed or shall I start my search again?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/laptops/laptops/toshiba-c50d-a-13v-15-6-laptop-21750394-pdt.html#longDesc

If it's garbage could any 1 recommend something for a similar price I'm not expecting miracles just something reliable really

Thanks

Those specs are misleading.

That processor is a 2.0ghz not a 2.4ghz (probably 2.4 when overclocked)

It's a low end processor.

There's better bang for your bucks out there.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-E1-571-NX.M09EK.002_1296588.html

And this is a tiny bit better but not by much - better processor

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-E1-571-NX.M09EK.032_1431695.html

Those specs are misleading.

That processor is a 2.0ghz not a 2.4ghz (probably 2.4 when overclocked)

I

It's a low end processor.

There's better bang for your bucks out there.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-E1-571-NX.M09EK.002_1296588.html

And this is a tiny bit better but not by much - better processor

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-E1-571-NX.M09EK.032_1431695.html

Thanks for the reply mate, I'm going to get the second 1 you recommended

I want 3 nations running maximum.

I want to play in 3d to watch matches.

I want a medium/large database dependant on mood.

I want to use all my graphics.

I currently have:

Intel Core i3 2350 @2.5Ghz

6 GB RAM (2.67 Usable)

32 bit operating system

750 GB Harddrive.

Should I upgrade my laptop?????.. bare in mind my budget could be no higher than £600 TOPS.

I am thinking of buying this laptop tomorrow.

its seems really good but unsure if screen too small

just hope it has good enough to play FM14 on. other laptops I had have only just to play one country league and never have the chance to play two nations or more. it is good enough to do this???

is there any other laptops you would recommend from Currys???

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-E1-571-NX.M09EK.032_1431695.html#DetailTop (CHEAPER)

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ACER-E1-571-NX.M09EK.037_1478219.html (Dearer)

whic one of thesewould be ok?? I would only be using the laptop for fm14 and the odd browse on the net.

And i wouldnt want to spend anymore than i need to on a laptop as i will only be using it for fm.

Thanks for any replies, i truly am a noob at things like this :p

but a pro when i get on fm :) ! hahaha

Archived