Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jackdeasy97 said:

i can probably stretch to £600 but when i only need it for netflix, sky, fm and Microsoft office i dont really want to go any higher at all - the only other game i will play is tew2016 - thought the first one i linked  - https://www.ebuyer.com/858173-exdisplay-acer-aspire-5-a515-51-laptop-intel-core-i5-8250u-1-6ghz-8gb-ram-ebr1-nx-gsyek-004   would be fine and then can add ssd and ram later on

 

On 12/09/2018 at 15:48, Smurf said:

Option 1 here is fine for FM and as good as the others in terms of what their processors offer and the same graphics cards.
However, price goes up depending on storage. Extra 20 for SSD (no impact for FM performance), then an additional extra for SSD and HDD. 
If you want a lot of space then go for 1) 1TB first option, cheaper, if you fancy an SSD then 2) is fine, however, you may need external storage in the future. 

Category A
1 i5-7300HQ  - 8GB -  1TB HDD - GTX 1050 2GB - £579.97
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM968T-ASUS-ZX553VD-DM968T-Gaming-Laptop_2145526.html

2 i5-7300HQ - 8GB - 256GB - GTX 1050 2GB - £599.97
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.003-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-57YT_2156569.html

<snipped>

See previous posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In defense of @Smurf, the same questions are being asked over and over... He is quite patient!... Can't people just read the previous, say, 20 messages. It's all there: models, prices, processors, etc...

Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking to get a Macbook Pro but struggling to decide between the 13 and 15 inch. The 13 inch would be about £500 cheaper. 

This is the 13 inch I'm considering:

image.thumb.png.82a45ec1dd53024e8f4b4f9e7da79b7a.png

Will this be good enough to run 25+ leagues, large database etc? 

Also looking for it to host a network game with 10/15 leagues.

Cheers.

@Smurf I see you're the expert here :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr Master said:

Looking to get a Macbook Pro but struggling to decide between the 13 and 15 inch. The 13 inch would be about £500 cheaper. 

This is the 13 inch I'm considering:

image.thumb.png.82a45ec1dd53024e8f4b4f9e7da79b7a.png

Will this be good enough to run 25+ leagues, large database etc? 

Also looking for it to host a network game with 10/15 leagues.

Cheers.

@Smurf I see you're the expert here :D 

Not even close. And a complete waste of money for FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Not even close. And a complete waste of money for FM.

Really, may I ask why?

It's got a quad core processor at 2.3ghz, similar to ones you've recommended previously. I'm aware it may not be great for 3d but not too bothered about that.

Getting it through work so I'm saving a fair amount on them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr Master said:

Really, may I ask why?

It's got a quad core processor at 2.3ghz, similar to ones you've recommended previously. I'm aware it may not be great for 3d but not too bothered about that.

Getting it through work so I'm saving a fair amount on them. 

The processor wont be great for fm. Then again most ultrabooks are the same. Why 13 inch? If its work related i understand completely. What are you working on?

Whats your budget?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

The processor wont be great for fm. Then again most ultrabooks are the same. Why 13 inch? If its work related i understand completely. What are you working on?

Whats your budget?

Essentially it's a company benefit scheme, get to choose what I want.

The MacBook I linked above will essentially cost me £150 over two years, whereas a 15 inch one with a 6 core processor, 16gb RAM and dedicated graphics card etc will cost £750 over two years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Mr Master said:

Essentially it's a company benefit scheme, get to choose what I want.

The MacBook I linked above will essentially cost me £150 over two years, whereas a 15 inch one with a 6 core processor, 16gb RAM and dedicated graphics card etc will cost £750 over two years.

 

The model processor in the newest Macbook Pro 13 inch is the I5-8259U.

Ranked 256 on the list https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

For FM a lot of the game is still single core so single core performance is a must when looking for a laptop for FM. That's why this processor doesn't even get close to what you're looking for. 

Here's a list of single core performance

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

You can see the 8259U is way way way down the list. 

For the other things happening FM like matches in the background, shortlists, etc. it happens in the multi core - so having more cores/threads can be an advantage, but these things happen so fast that having fast multi-core hardly makes a difference. 

 

Can it play FM at the level you want - no it can't.

Can it play FM - of course it will. But the heat generated by the Mac (and they do get hot with the aluminium case acting as a heat sinc, will cause the processor to work at a slower rate to keep it cool, and at that point, the single core performance will be throttled. 

 

Do you really need a Mac? Do you really need a 13inch?

I really want you to get something that will work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's grand

appreciate your assistance.

Didn't know about the single core importance!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Smurf said:

The model processor in the newest Macbook Pro 13 inch is the I5-8259U.

Ranked 256 on the list https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

For FM a lot of the game is still single core so single core performance is a must when looking for a laptop for FM. That's why this processor doesn't even get close to what you're looking for. 

Here's a list of single core performance

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

You can see the 8259U is way way way down the list. 

For the other things happening FM like matches in the background, shortlists, etc. it happens in the multi core - so having more cores/threads can be an advantage, but these things happen so fast that having fast multi-core hardly makes a difference. 

 

Can it play FM at the level you want - no it can't.

Can it play FM - of course it will. But the heat generated by the Mac (and they do get hot with the aluminium case acting as a heat sinc, will cause the processor to work at a slower rate to keep it cool, and at that point, the single core performance will be throttled. 

 

Do you really need a Mac? Do you really need a 13inch?

I really want you to get something that will work. 

Ahhh ok that makes a lot of sense. I didn't know a lot of FM still used single core for most things - quite surprised really as I assume it's not the most efficient way to go about with things. 

The issue is that other laptops available only have a dual core processor and aren't better than what I have currently (Dell XPS 13, Intel i7-5500u, 8gb RAM - Ran FM alright) so the only viable options were the Macbook Pros. 

Thanks a lot for your help BTW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mr Master said:

Ahhh ok that makes a lot of sense. I didn't know a lot of FM still used single core for most things - quite surprised really as I assume it's not the most efficient way to go about with things. 

The issue is that other laptops available only have a dual core processor and aren't better than what I have currently (Dell XPS 13, Intel i7-5500u, 8gb RAM - Ran FM alright) so the only viable options were the Macbook Pros. 

Thanks a lot for your help BTW!

Well - on the lists there I posted, the 7550U is ranked higher then the Mac processor. So you'd likely get a worse FM experience from this processor as you did from the one you're using now/then.

I'm not saying don't buy a Macbook pro - I'm saying it won't be great for what you want it to do for FM.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Well - on the lists there I posted, the 7550U is ranked higher then the Mac processor. So you'd likely get a worse FM experience from this processor as you did from the one you're using now/then.

I'm not saying don't buy a Macbook pro - I'm saying it won't be great for what you want it to do for FM.

 

Sorry - My current one has the i7-5500u.

Looking at the results shown below, is the i7-8750h found in 15 inch models really that much better than the 8259u in the 13 inch?

Could potentially upgrade to 8559u in the 13 inch but not sure yet, added it for comparison purposes anyway 

 

image.thumb.png.e821fd3d2bac4fd981db4833f0380ed0.pngimage.thumb.png.996854ed74d78b7aad840427168b1959.png

 

image.thumb.png.1418a721c6903350716181674e73f58f.png

 

So would you say even the 15 inch's processor isn't that good for FM? That would be a huge surprise. 

Edited by Mr Master

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TacticsGuy said:

What's the link for your laptop @Smurf

 

tried clicking on it but it doesn't work. 

 

Thanks for your help

Can't find it myself!

If you want something similar

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0714MK3ZN/ref=asc_df_B073WZ2TLK55212479/?tag=pjuk-marketplace-21&amp;creative=22374&amp;creativeASIN=B073WZ2TLK&amp;linkCode=df0&amp;smid=A2IZIWNXZQ7JSL&amp;th=1

 

Edited by Smurf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, looking for advice...

My old laptops packed in, so it's upgrade time. I guess budget would be up to 1k, but if I can spend less that's obviously great.

Needs to:

15/17inch - don't really move it from 1 room, so can be heavy 

Play FM (obviously!)

Play old games without struggling (like age of empires 2, don't laugh)

Be quick for general use

The main thing though is I'm paranoid about it overheating, I'd really rather not need to have it vacuumed out frequently or be switching off due to heat if that's not a contradiction, and I'd want it to be quiet too so I can play FM while my wife watches TV. If this means getting slightly higher spec so it's not straining, then that's ok. 

Also a good lifespan would be nice, so something solid. 

 

Thanks!

Edited by InterWolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, been reading through this thread and been some great advice. 

I need to get a new laptop ready for fm19, my old laptop is quite old and was fairly slow on fm 18.

Anyway here are 2 that I have found.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-i7-7500U-Screen-Windows-Laptop/dp/B076ZP18X9/ref=pd_aw_vtph_147_bs_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KBQQ4VWMMREWAJVMBAY3#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1537005111897

 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-520s-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-grey-10164471-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

I usually run about 7 leagues and a large database and watch in 2d, would either of these do a good job and be relatively quick?

my old laptop used to give me about 2.5 stars for that setup.

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2018 at 08:46, InterWolf said:

Hi, looking for advice...

My old laptops packed in, so it's upgrade time. I guess budget would be up to 1k, but if I can spend less that's obviously great.

Needs to:

15/17inch - don't really move it from 1 room, so can be heavy 

Play FM (obviously!)

Play old games without struggling (like age of empires 2, don't laugh)

Be quick for general use

The main thing though is I'm paranoid about it overheating, I'd really rather not need to have it vacuumed out frequently or be switching off due to heat if that's not a contradiction, and I'd want it to be quiet too so I can play FM while my wife watches TV. If this means getting slightly higher spec so it's not straining, then that's ok. 

Also a good lifespan would be nice, so something solid. 

 

Thanks!

This would be good

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GM-EN150T-ASUS-FX504GM-EN150T-Gaming-Laptop_2344467.html

If you want to go cheaper

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GM-EN151T-ASUS-FX504GM-EN151T-Gaming-Laptop_2344468.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JBE2-1269-MSI-GL62MVR-7RFX-1269UK_2304758.html

 

 

16 hours ago, sedge11 said:

Hi, been reading through this thread and been some great advice. 

I need to get a new laptop ready for fm19, my old laptop is quite old and was fairly slow on fm 18.

Anyway here are 2 that I have found.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-i7-7500U-Screen-Windows-Laptop/dp/B076ZP18X9/ref=pd_aw_vtph_147_bs_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KBQQ4VWMMREWAJVMBAY3#featureBulletsAndDetailBullets_secondary_view_div_1537005111897

 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-520s-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-grey-10164471-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

I usually run about 7 leagues and a large database and watch in 2d, would either of these do a good job and be relatively quick?

my old laptop used to give me about 2.5 stars for that setup.

Thanks in advance.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM968T-ASUS-ZX553VD-DM968T-Gaming-Laptop_2145526.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm amazed why so many people buy laptops when comparing the price of them to a desktop.

I got an Intel I7-8700, 16GB ram, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, plus added bluetooth and a GTX 1050TI 4GB GPU to it for a total of just under £900, what would those specs cost if in a laptop?

Edited by SortitoutsiVP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usual question folks, looking for a laptop for FM, preferably as quick as possible for under £500 (can’t go over this limit) I know this restricts it a lot but that’s my budget :). The only other thing I will use it for is a bit of Microsoft Word. Thanks in advance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

Ive been playing full FM on my Surface Pro 3 for about 3 years now, however, FM18 was unplayable in 3D.

Ive been looking at upgrading, potentially to the Surface Book 2, however, I’d want to play it in tablet mode but I believe the GPU is in the keyboard, does anyone have any experience to how it plays in tablet mode in 3D?

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SortitoutsiVP said:

I'm amazed why so many people buy laptops when comparing the price of them to a desktop.

I got an Intel I7-8700, 16GB ram, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD, plus added bluetooth and a GTX 1050TI 4GB GPU to it for a total of just under £900, what would those specs cost if in a laptop?

Some people need laptops - like myself. I wouldn't be able to have a desktop due to needing a dedicated space etc. for it. Plus I am a graphic designer so need to portablity to bring to clients. It's all about needs. 

3 hours ago, gechal said:

So just to confirm this would happily run multiple leagues on a large database and is as good as it gets for under £600?

 

Thanks

Pretty much should be ok. 

 

3 hours ago, Gmt5 said:

Usual question folks, looking for a laptop for FM, preferably as quick as possible for under £500 (can’t go over this limit) I know this restricts it a lot but that’s my budget :). The only other thing I will use it for is a bit of Microsoft Word. Thanks in advance.  

Won't  be amazing - but you're restricted by budget

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GSWEK.004-Acer-Aspire-5-A517-51-52FU_2348163.html

This is in the clearance line - it's marked as Grade B https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/grading

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/7559-8045(C)-(Grade-B)-Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-(7559)_2366860.html

 

1 hour ago, FM-Lee said:

Hello,

Ive been playing full FM on my Surface Pro 3 for about 3 years now, however, FM18 was unplayable in 3D.

Ive been looking at upgrading, potentially to the Surface Book 2, however, I’d want to play it in tablet mode but I believe the GPU is in the keyboard, does anyone have any experience to how it plays in tablet mode in 3D?

Thanks 

I think @Miles Jacobson plays on a Surface Book - you could send him a message on twitter or here if he's around? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Some people need laptops - like myself. I wouldn't be able to have a desktop due to needing a dedicated space etc. for it. Plus I am a graphic designer so need to portablity to bring to clients. It's all about needs. 

Pretty much should be ok. 

 

Won't  be amazing - but you're restricted by budget

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GSWEK.004-Acer-Aspire-5-A517-51-52FU_2348163.html

This is in the clearance line - it's marked as Grade B https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/grading

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/7559-8045(C)-(Grade-B)-Dell-Inspiron-15-7000-(7559)_2366860.html

 

I think @Miles Jacobson plays on a Surface Book - you could send him a message on twitter or here if he's around? 

Hello, thanks for your help! I’m new here so I’m not sure how to private message so I’ve tweeted him, hopefully he will get back to me! As I can’t take the risk of spending £2100 on a device just to find FM doesn’t even run properly on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gmt5 said:

Cheers smurf, 

 

thats the one I looked at alongside the below, which would you recommend, the Acer or the below ASUS? Is an i5 quad better than an i7 dual?

 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/A556UQ-DM1469T-ASUS-Vivobook-A556UQ-DM1469T_2255403.html

I'd go with the one I pointed to as it has the newer processor. 

1 hour ago, FM-Lee said:

Hello, thanks for your help! I’m new here so I’m not sure how to private message so I’ve tweeted him, hopefully he will get back to me! As I can’t take the risk of spending £2100 on a device just to find FM doesn’t even run properly on it. 

Last I heard it has a 1060 (or at least can) graphics card - that coupled with a U processor seemingly causes a bit of lag in the 3D. Unsurprisingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I'd go with the one I pointed to as it has the newer processor. 

Last I heard it has a 1060 (or at least can) graphics card - that coupled with a U processor seemingly causes a bit of lag in the 3D. Unsurprisingly.

Any idea of a tablet/2 in 1 that could play Football Manager 2019 in 3D on decent settings without lag then? 

Many thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FM-Lee said:

Any idea of a tablet/2 in 1 that could play Football Manager 2019 in 3D on decent settings without lag then? 

Many thanks! 

They'd be very expensive and not suited for FM. What's the budget? Why a tablet/2in1? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

They'd be very expensive and not suited for FM. What's the budget? Why a tablet/2in1? 

The budget would be around £2200 max. I just find laptops pretty cumbersome and lacking portability, I’d rather sit there with a tablet, something I can easily just pick up and play.  Hence why I went for the Surface Pro 3 bsck in 2014 you see, bit unfortunately, that’s run it’s course now. Cheers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, FM-Lee said:

The budget would be around £2200 max. I just find laptops pretty cumbersome and lacking portability, I’d rather sit there with a tablet, something I can easily just pick up and play.  Hence why I went for the Surface Pro 3 bsck in 2014 you see, bit unfortunately, that’s run it’s course now. Cheers! 

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/HP-x360-15t-i7-8705G-micro-edge-Touchscreen/dp/B07D3FJ4Y9/ref=sr_1_19?s=pc&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1537220943&amp;sr=1-19&amp;refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2289792011|2289793011%2Cp_n_graphics_type_browse-bin%3A14292273011

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smurf Making my decision over the next couple of days so have a few thoughts, would be interesting to see what you think!

I acknowledge that the 13 inch Macbook pro is overpriced but I require something portable. I'm also aware there will be far better alternatives for the 3d match engine but I play on 2d anyway. 

I've seen you recommend this: https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GM-EN151T-ASUS-FX504GM-EN151T-Gaming-Laptop_2344468.html

Having looked at that processor, it seems like the 8259 has a higher overall CPU rating but loses out marginally on its single thread rating - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-5500U-vs-Intel-i5-8259U-vs-Intel-i5-8300H/2470vs3299vs3254. Overall, seems to be at a similar level to processors of laptops recommended in this thread. 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html - This is another link you shared and if I've not mistaken, the 8259 seems to be that low due to the fact some benchmarks are missing. It also has a performance rating of 90 which seems to be quite high in comparison to others and that can only be a good thing!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Smurf said:

Ideally I was hoping for the screen to detach, making it lighter.

Im not hugely knowledgeable with the details of computers, could you explain why that would be a better choice than the Surface Book 2 from a spec perspective? Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr Master said:

@Smurf Making my decision over the next couple of days so have a few thoughts, would be interesting to see what you think!

I acknowledge that the 13 inch Macbook pro is overpriced but I require something portable. I'm also aware there will be far better alternatives for the 3d match engine but I play on 2d anyway. 

I've seen you recommend this: https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/FX504GM-EN151T-ASUS-FX504GM-EN151T-Gaming-Laptop_2344468.html

Having looked at that processor, it seems like the 8259 has a higher overall CPU rating but loses out marginally on its single thread rating - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-5500U-vs-Intel-i5-8259U-vs-Intel-i5-8300H/2470vs3299vs3254. Overall, seems to be at a similar level to processors of laptops recommended in this thread. 

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html - This is another link you shared and if I've not mistaken, the 8259 seems to be that low due to the fact some benchmarks are missing. It also has a performance rating of 90 which seems to be quite high in comparison to others and that can only be a good thing!

 

 

It's all very close. U processors will thottle when under heavy processing loads - so it's up to you.

1 hour ago, FM-Lee said:

Ideally I was hoping for the screen to detach, making it lighter.

Im not hugely knowledgeable with the details of computers, could you explain why that would be a better choice than the Surface Book 2 from a spec perspective? Cheers!

Better processor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t worry too much about the current generation of U series processors, unless you change the match settings FM will not produce consistent long period processing loads that risk triggering thermal throttling, my work laptop has an i5 7300U & can comfortably handle prolonged cpu loads in excess of 80% while maintaining the turbo boost clock of 3.5Ghz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Smurf said:

It's all very close. U processors will thottle when under heavy processing loads - so it's up to you.

Better processor.

Would you recommend upgrading to the 8559u processor or 16gb RAM if you could choose only one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go for the better processor each time - you can add ram later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any thoughts on the 2018 Razer Blade 15” would be appreciated. I’m tempted with the base model i7 16GB RAM Nvidia 1060GTX.

Would this thing be noisy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NUGGGZY said:

Any thoughts on the 2018 Razer Blade 15” would be appreciated. I’m tempted with the base model i7 16GB RAM Nvidia 1060GTX.

Would this thing be noisy?

Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Am 16.9.2018 um 09:46 schrieb InterWolf:

Hi, looking for advice...

My old laptops packed in, so it's upgrade time. I guess budget would be up to 1k, but if I can spend less that's obviously great.

Needs to:

15/17inch - don't really move it from 1 room, so can be heavy 

Play FM (obviously!)

Play old games without struggling (like age of empires 2, don't laugh)

Be quick for general use

The main thing though is I'm paranoid about it overheating, I'd really rather not need to have it vacuumed out frequently or be switching off due to heat if that's not a contradiction, and I'd want it to be quiet too so I can play FM while my wife watches TV. If this means getting slightly higher spec so it's not straining, then that's ok. 

Also a good lifespan would be nice, so something solid. 

 

Thanks!

I wa searching for the same thing like you and a sis aid before went from i 5 U lenovo , to a MSI 7770 HQ and now the i7 8750H with 2.20 MSI GL738RC . First a had a little problem with the low frequenzy of the first processor but all benchmrk show even the single thread is among the faster ones still, (in the above menchmark 2400 single core mine)  the 1050 card is a ittle slower for high end gaming but seems to fit FM very good, all in all the machine looks very good all around and quiet and very good cooled and BIG :-D Also very robust those MSI if i dint run them ober with my car that is. I got it in a sale for 900 Euro and with the parts of my old Laptops now twice a 128 SSD HD and 16 GB Ram so a nice package which you can create with rather cheap additoal parts yourself, and that being said 8 GB would be fully enough already and tbh if F Gamers arent the ones that use big HD either normally . Most of the times a laptop is a 2nd PC anyway ,and bigger "business" files could always be stored in an ol HD ore somewhere. TBH mine is a little specific as i mostly use it for gaming FM and Europa Universalis 4 and Crusader Kings at work ;-) 

 

All in all with a mabe little cheaper core with mor ebsic proessign power it could be even more specified for FM but if you want  smooth startup , saving and Windows also this one is a great package.

Edited by GerdMuller

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/09/2018 at 16:51, Smurf said:

@Smurf - The laptop you recommended above has an AMD Radeon processor. Do you have any preference between AMD and GeForce, at the same level?... Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, phd_angel said:

@Smurf - The laptop you recommended above has an AMD Radeon processor. Do you have any preference between AMD and GeForce, at the same level?... Thanks

No preference. As long as it works for FM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I'm saving up for a new desktop/laptop not decided yet.  Hoping to get one that will last the next 3-4 editions of FM after FM19. I would use it for general use such as listening to music (I have quite a large iTunes library), Word, Excel, Publisher, watch/download videos and the odd bit of video editing   well as FM. I usually play FM with a large database and as many leagues running as I can get away with, 3d match engine etc.

Budget is around £1,500. Should have enough by Christmas. Barside and Smurf have already recommended this https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/asus-15.6-fhd-wv-tn-120hz-i7-8750h-8g-256gb-sata-ssd-1tb-hdd-gtx1060-fx504gm-en150t/version.asp also considering going to PC Specialist.

I want to make sure whatever I get is right, because I probably won’t be able to afford my next machine for around 5 years.

 

Thanks

 

Matt

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smurf

Hi mate, just wondering if you've heard of the Shadow service and if so would you think it’s worthwhile solution for people wanting a powerful pc to play FM or games in general but can’t afford to spend 2k on a powerful gaming rig?  Apparently it costs to £27 per month £324 per year to rent the shadow system which can stream games back to a bog standard pc proving you have 15mb/S internet connection 

https://shadow.tech/usen?gclid=CjwKCAjwio3dBRAqEiwAHWsNVQFojhf9J4VvuIkAOzbhdgDxyJaBUMF-Bv4dYbGCGMvPL1v8zINBNRoCRUsQAvD_BwE

91E57301-F675-48D6-B449-44EFF3613065.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never heard of it. Read a few reviews. Try it if you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...