New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

14 minutes ago, Smurf said:

This is ex vat

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/laptops/vostro-15-3568/spd/vostro-15-3568-laptop/s060vn3568btsukie01_1901

And if you can squeeze a bit more out of them

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/bn57024

Honestly though, wouldn't be great if you loaded up a load of leauges/divisions and a large database. I'd keep the game play down to approx 5 nations, and small/medium database size.

Don't really see anything else out there. 

Both of those look good to me. 

I wouldn't usually use a huge number of countries. I'd normally load England, Ireland, Spain, Germany, Italy..

Like i have a really old Fujitsu laptop but its quite slow and heavy now so i wanted a newer lighter laptop for work that i could still play FM on. Not  really looking for top spec if you get me?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would check you are allowed to install this on laptop first a lot of companies wont allow this I know some I have done work for are very strict with this type of thing.

If you are going to look at Dell keep an eye on the business outlet at times just because it has some marks on it you can get some bargains

12 hours ago, mortmaru said:

I would check you are allowed to install this on laptop first a lot of companies wont allow this I know some I have done work for are very strict with this type of thing.

Good point about employers IT & Internet policies, I’d never install the Steam client on my work laptop but I know that would be an immediate appointment for a disciplinary.

Hi guys, looking to get a decent laptop that I can use for my uni work and play FM with a reasonable size data base at good speeds and that. Don't really know much about laptop specs but with my limited knowledge I think I've found one which is pretty good for a decent is price.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cs0511sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-geforce-mx150-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10180936-pdt.html

What do you guys think, are the specs enough to run a good FM save? Or am I spending a little too much, as a student every penny counts!

Any help would be appreciated, cheers :) 

1 hour ago, HarryDennis said:

Hi guys, looking to get a decent laptop that I can use for my uni work and play FM with a reasonable size data base at good speeds and that. Don't really know much about laptop specs but with my limited knowledge I think I've found one which is pretty good for a decent is price.

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-15-cs0511sa-15-6-intel-core-i7-geforce-mx150-laptop-256-gb-ssd-silver-10180936-pdt.html

What do you guys think, are the specs enough to run a good FM save? Or am I spending a little too much, as a student every penny counts!

Any help would be appreciated, cheers :) 

Does battery life matter to you? If not, I'd say this is better for the same price, it has a better processor and graphics (useful if you play other games).

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-g3-15-15-6-intel-core-i7-gtx-1050-ti-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182914-pdt.html

12 hours ago, Scott1892 said:

Ok that's very good in deed - it has a high end graphics card. Unless you play other games it would be wasted for FM. All in in all it's excellent.

I found this one

https://www.box.co.uk/FX504GE-E4031T-ASUS-FX504GE-E4031T-Gaming-Laptop_2318164.html

Processor is better for FM - but the graphics card is not as good, but more than enough for FM. 

It's also £150 cheaper. 

If you want to play other games - then the one you choose is great. If it's for FM only then the 2nd one would be slightly better in terms of processing FM.

If anyone else has an opinion on that I'd welcome it.

14 hours ago, Scott1892 said:

Mate, you should share which graphics level you will watch matches.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Ok that's very good in deed - it has a high end graphics card. Unless you play other games it would be wasted for FM. All in in all it's excellent.

I found this one

https://www.box.co.uk/FX504GE-E4031T-ASUS-FX504GE-E4031T-Gaming-Laptop_2318164.html

Processor is better for FM - but the graphics card is not as good, but more than enough for FM. 

It's also £150 cheaper. 

If you want to play other games - then the one you choose is great. If it's for FM only then the 2nd one would be slightly better in terms of processing FM.

If anyone else has an opinion on that I'd welcome it.

Looking at the one you linked they have an upgrade from 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD for £20 more so will probably go for that one. In terms of games that I play it'll mostly be FM and the new Civ, along with other strategy type games, so is the processor more important than the graphics for these type of games?

3 minutes ago, talhak said:

Mate, you should share which graphics level you will watch matches.

At the moment I play in 2D Classic as my current laptop cannot handle any more, I would like to go to 3D, but would prefer to just run more leagues and have a larger database.

1 minute ago, Scott1892 said:

At the moment I play in 2D Classic as my current laptop cannot handle any more, I would like to go to 3D, but would prefer to just run more leagues and have a larger database.

So, the specs of the laptop you have found is great; but I recommend having more RAM if it is possible in term of your budget since you want to play with a larger database and multiple leagues.

24 minutes ago, Scott1892 said:

Looking at the one you linked they have an upgrade from 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD for £20 more so will probably go for that one. In terms of games that I play it'll mostly be FM and the new Civ, along with other strategy type games, so is the processor more important than the graphics for these type of games?

Here are the Civilization 6 system requirements (minimum)
  • CPU: Intel Core i3 2.5 Ghz or AMD Phenom II 2.6 Ghz or greater.
  • VIDEO CARD: 1 GB & AMD 5570 or nVidia 450.
  • SOUND CARD: DirectX Compatible Sound Device.
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 12 GB.

The one I quoted you - with the £20 extra for 256gb drive would work fine from Civ 6 given the min requirements. 

You can add extra RAM if you need it - usually the easiest and least expensive upgrade for laptop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=8gb+2666mhz+ddr4&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=186593199270&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8423978309350402327&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007850&hvtargid=kwd-164606333532&ref=pd_sl_8askzbbte4_b

Basically - you could get the extra ram and the upgraded SSD for about £100, brings it £50 (approx) under budget from the original laptop.

Might add - careful which RAM you buy - they could have a different amount of pins, I didn't research that part of it. But if you contacted Asus they could tell you which RAM type and pin count to go for. 

Cheers guys, will order it now, won't upgrade the ram straight away but it seems to be quite straight forward so can be something I can do in the future if I need it. :thup:

Edit: Just noticed that the 256GB SSD one only has a 1050 4GB Graphics card compared to a 1050Ti 4GB Graphics card, does it make a difference?

@Smurf

15 minutes ago, Scott1892 said:

Cheers guys, will order it now, won't upgrade the ram straight away but it seems to be quite straight forward so can be something I can do in the future if I need it. :thup:

Edit: Just noticed that the 256GB SSD one only has a 1050 4GB Graphics card compared to a 1050Ti 4GB Graphics card, does it make a difference?

@Smurf

Spec on the laptop with 256gb drive

Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 4GB Graphics

Variants of the 1050 are as follows and come in 3 versions

1050 ti, 1050 (3gb) and 1050 (2gb)

1042003264_ScreenShot2018-08-23at14_40_43.thumb.png.0d99390d2549f78cf6a9473888bc41fb.png

If it says it's 4gb then it's the TI version as it's the only version with that spec.

You can see full specs here

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1050/

On 21/08/2018 at 21:36, mortmaru said:

If you are going to look at Dell keep an eye on the business outlet at times just because it has some marks on it you can get some bargains

On 22/08/2018 at 10:18, Barside said:

Good point about employers IT & Internet policies, I’d never install the Steam client on my work laptop but I know that would be an immediate appointment for a disciplinary.

It'll be more a personal laptop than a work one to be honest!  Cheers though. 

15 minutes ago, huibertspeter said:

How about the intel core i5-8300h processor. According to cpu benchmark it is much better than the i5-7300hq. So, is the i5-8300h procesor good for FM and is it a better processor than the i5-7300hq?

It's much of a muchness. What you see being better is multi-thread scenarios, and FM is very much still a single thread processing, which means the i5-7300hq is slightly faster in the base speed, and would be better for FM.

Gains in multi-thread processing are good for the 8300h, but the multi-thread actions happen so quick in FM anyway the gains you have are not really noticed. 

Either or - if the 8300h is a good price go for that, it is a better processor overall, but for FM wouldn't make a huge difference. 

The cheapest deals I can currentky find..

over clickers • Intel i7 8700k CPU £319

Scan •asus Rog Maximus xHero WiFi ac Z370 mother board  £274.99

Scan • Corsair vengeance DDR4 Ram 3200Mhz £155.99

total £749.48

3 main components for a faster smoother FM experience.  If you already have an appropriate case with graphics cards and drives you can have a beast at £749 .48

8 hours ago, wayne'o said:

The cheapest deals I can currentky find..

over clickers • Intel i7 8700k CPU £319

Scan •asus Rog Maximus xHero WiFi ac Z370 mother board  £274.99

Scan • Corsair vengeance DDR4 Ram 3200Mhz £155.99

total £749.48

3 main components for a faster smoother FM experience.  If you already have an appropriate case with graphics cards and drives you can have a beast at £749 .48

You do not need to spend that much for each part that is going into hardcore gaming.

I put up two builds for only a little more heres the link

If you exclude monitor that is £150+ saved and then drop the ssd down to 256 that is £40+ saving and then if you want nvidia 1050ti that is £149 saving so this build comes in just over £600 which I would take over this one below any day they dont even give you full breakdown of the parts and the brands used

8 hours ago, wayne'o said:

3 hours ago, mortmaru said:

You do not need to spend that much for each part that is going into hardcore gaming.

I put up two builds for only a little more heres the link

If you exclude monitor that is £150+ saved and then drop the ssd down to 256 that is £40+ saving and then if you want nvidia 1050ti that is £149 saving so this build comes in just over £600 which I would take over this one below any day they dont even give you full breakdown of the parts and the brands used

I’m sure you can get cheaper options, in the long run it could work out cheaper what someone’s needs are. Paying slightly more for something now coukd save money in the long run as their won’t be a need to upgrade again so soon when things become obsolete in a years time.

i spent more on a pc 10 years ago, it’s in the bin now.😜

Hi Guys , Looking to get a new laptop for FM19 didn't buy FM18 the first time I've not bought it as current laptop is ancient, I tend to only have commentary for games but looking to run all English leagues and maybe 4 or five other leagues with the option to watch some of the games so I can play a bit more in depth with larger database.

Any ideas and help much appreciated.

17 hours ago, wayne'o said:

I’m sure you can get cheaper options, in the long run it could work out cheaper what someone’s needs are. Paying slightly more for something now coukd save money in the long run as their won’t be a need to upgrade again so soon when things become obsolete in a years time.

i spent more on a pc 10 years ago, it’s in the bin now.😜

I agree but then what point do you stop you could say spend more so spend £1000 then go well i want some more years so should I spend £2000.

You spend to plant a good base down which you can build on which rules intel out straight away they drop support quickly and regarding the pre build system it doesn't tell you what the base parts are so with most these builds they put in a very cheap psu.

If you use FM as a template to build a pc it really hasn't changed it didn't require highend gear the last few years they have now moved on to 64bit etc but it really comes down to poor utilization.

That 10 year old pc can you remember the spec I got some friends who are still using 7-8 year old pcs which function fine they just did few upgrades adding some more ram ssd and gpu this runs fm

Kalou2006 what budget do you have? there is already many recommendations for laptops in here

1 hour ago, mortmaru said:

I agree but then what point do you stop you could say spend more so spend £1000 then go well i want some more years so should I spend £2000.

You spend to plant a good base down which you can build on which rules intel out straight away they drop support quickly and regarding the pre build system it doesn't tell you what the base parts are so with most these builds they put in a very cheap psu.

If you use FM as a template to build a pc it really hasn't changed it didn't require highend gear the last few years they have now moved on to 64bit etc but it really comes down to poor utilization.

That 10 year old pc can you remember the spec I got some friends who are still using 7-8 year old pcs which function fine they just did few upgrades adding some more ram ssd and gpu this runs fm

Kalou2006 what budget do you have? there is already many recommendations for laptops in here

It was my first ever build, I over clocked to around 3 - 3.4  it would still run Fm now, I remember back then I had over kill because I wanted it to last..  to be fair I should of fixed it when it went wrong but I had already stopped using it.  

Min terms of how much someone spends, it comes down to what they can afford. I’d rather spend £1500 and have a high spec machine as apposed to £750 but obviously if money was tight I’d be happy with the bare minimum just to play FM,  I think at some point I’ll end up playing a war game or something,   Plus not forgetting building your own pc means you can have a really good pc for less cash. 

1 hour ago, wayne'o said:

It was my first ever build, I over clocked to around 3 - 3.4  it would still run Fm now, I remember back then I had over kill because I wanted it to last..  to be fair I should of fixed it when it went wrong but I had already stopped using it.  

Min terms of how much someone spends, it comes down to what they can afford. I’d rather spend £1500 and have a high spec machine as apposed to £750 but obviously if money was tight I’d be happy with the bare minimum just to play FM,  I think at some point I’ll end up playing a war game or something,   Plus not forgetting building your own pc means you can have a really good pc for less cash. 

I would rather spend more as well but some people do not look at it like that.

This is the case with not just pc/laptops but i always say to people work it out by usage it is like an investment.

£750 pc base unit will run everything at acceptable level with 1080p monitor/tv

some people in here will not like idea of building one which i can understand but there is always someone that can do it for you and by going down this route you know everything you are getting.

16 hours ago, mortmaru said:

I was looking at anything between £400 -£500 although I have the money to pay higher, I will only use it for Football Manager and general internet usage

2 hours ago, kalou2006 said:

I was looking at anything between £400 -£500 although I have the money to pay higher, I will only use it for Football Manager and general internet usage

I would say you need to spend about £600 prices have gone up but depending how old your current one is pcworld has a tool to work out how much they would give you most under 7 years old get £50+ you could go for the one I linked to below

ASUS TUF FX504GE 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1050 Ti Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD

3 hours ago, kalou2006 said:

This would be good for your needs

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

If you want to stay in budget this will also do

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/A556UQ-DM1469T-ASUS-Vivobook-A556UQ-DM1469T_2255403.html

Hi I was wondering if you could give me advice on EACH of these processors for the regular FM.

*Intel I5 7300HQ 2.5GHZ 3.5GHZ 4 Core

*Intel core I5 8250U 1.6GHZ-3.4GHZ 4 Core

*Intel core I7 8550U 1.8GHZ-4GHZ 4 Core

*Intel core I7 7500U 2.7GHZ-3.4GHZ 2 Core

*Intel core I5 8300H 2.3-4GHZ 4 Core

It would be very helpful if you're able to reply as I'm buying my laptop next week my budget it £700 at a very push.

Would love to know your thoughts thanks.

1 hour ago, HM786 said:

Hi I was wondering if you could give me advice on EACH of these processors for the regular FM.

*Intel I5 7300HQ 2.5GHZ 3.5GHZ 4 Core

*Intel core I5 8250U 1.6GHZ-3.4GHZ 4 Core

*Intel core I7 8550U 1.8GHZ-4GHZ 4 Core

*Intel core I7 7500U 2.7GHZ-3.4GHZ 2 Core

*Intel core I5 8300H 2.3-4GHZ 4 Core

It would be very helpful if you're able to reply as I'm buying my laptop next week my budget it £700 at a very push.

Would love to know your thoughts thanks.

if it has U at end that is cut down version for low power the H at end are closer to being like the desktop versions that is simple way to explain it.

for that price look for something which has a ssd plus hdd and minimum 1050ti

SSD has no impact on FM playing, overall it is better, but again, no impact on FM. 

And 1050ti - there's 3 types of these, whereas any will do - it's certainly over spec for FM. 

Here's a the min specs for graphics cards

Graphics Cards: Cards equal to or better than the following: 
Intel GMA X4500
NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

Here's a list of graphic cards in order of how good they are

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

You only  need a graphics card for FM if you plan to watch in 3d and on higher settings, for low settings an integrated graphics card will do.

The x4500 isn't even on the list, the 9600m is way down the list and doesn't appear in the top 700 as too the HD 3650.

As long as the graphics card is in the list it's fine.

If it's a HQ processor the "HQ" stands for High Performance Graphics, Quad Core - 

Means, that your Processor has a graphics card built on board - called "integrated graphics card" - which would be fine for 3d matches on low quality.

U stands for "ultra-low voltage" - which means there's less power going to the processor, and less power, means less speed, think of a power lawnmower, the turtle and hare symol you see on them, the lawnmower will go faster on the HARE speed on short grass, but choke on long grass you then have to throttle it back to the turtle speed to cut the long grass

Same with processor, it will go fast on smooth simple operations, but choke on larger operations, like FM and it's processing needs. 

Thank you guys you really helped me a lot the advice was great. Here's the laptop I was thinking of.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GTVEK.004-Acer-Aspire-7-A717-71G-501X_2335984.html

So do you guys think the i5-7300HQ and        I5 8300H are capable of running FM at a GOOD performance?

Let me know what you think my budget is maximum  £700 preferably a bit lower would help.

Any recommendations are welcomed.

7 minutes ago, HM786 said:

Thank you guys you really helped me a lot the advice was great. Here's the laptop I was thinking of.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GTVEK.004-Acer-Aspire-7-A717-71G-501X_2335984.html

So do you guys think the i5-7300HQ and        I5 8300H are capable of running FM at a GOOD performance?

Let me know what you think my budget is maximum  £700 preferably a bit lower would help.

Any recommendations are welcomed.

Are you wanting a 17inch? If so, prob best you'll get. 

If you want a 15 inch - then there's a small improvement, but nothing worth noting, except price.

You could get this

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-2073-MSI-GL62M-7RDX-2073UK_2245212.html

Slightly less on battery (when not plugged in) but if it's plugged in all the time you don't need to worry.

But larger main hard drive. 

2 hours ago, HM786 said:

I did consider that laptop however the battery was too poor for my liking. The laptop I found was the best for I could find that was a all rounder.

Why you looking at that inferior one to the one i suggested for some one else few posts above for same money ?

The Asus one is better cpu/gpu build and if you look around that pcworld price is very good at £699 also 2 year warranty

17 minutes ago, mortmaru said:

Why you looking at that inferior one to the one i suggested for some one else few posts above for same money ?

The Asus one is better cpu/gpu build and if you look around that pcworld price is very good at £699 also 2 year warranty

In fairness its marginally better.

Whats the battery like on it?

22 hours ago, mortmaru said:

Cud I have a link please?

Tenious link to the above discussion......

My sons play FM2018, on our laptop - we have the FM2018 disc.

About to but a new all in one PC which doesnt have a dvd drive - can we still install the game again through steam without paying for the game again?

THanks

9 hours ago, floored18 said:

Tenious link to the above discussion......

My sons play FM2018, on our laptop - we have the FM2018 disc.

About to but a new all in one PC which doesnt have a dvd drive - can we still install the game again through steam without paying for the game again?

THanks

You can download through steam. Disc should have code. Youll be prompted

You don’t even need to input the code for games that have already been activated, just install the Steam client & any games linked to the Steam account will be listed & available download.

For any new purchase Smurf’s post is correct, no need for a disc these day, you just need to enter the code printed on the manual.

Hi, I’m looking to buy a laptop soon with a budget of around £1000. 

Mainly interested in getting good performance for FM playing with larger databases, and graphics installed etc. I generally play on 2D at the moment and am happy with this so amazing graphics aren’t necessarily the most important to me, although I do play a few other games such as Civ 5/6 so decent graphics for games like that would be appreciated. Other than that I would mainly use my laptop for a few bits of work or browsing the Internet etc so nothing too strenuous.

I have 10%+ off laptops with HP through work, but again it doesn’t necessarily have to be a HP laptop if there are better alternatives at competitive prices.

I have a limited knowledge when it comes to these things but thinking that the processor is most important for me and memory would be nice but can be added to the laptop if possible and necessary? 17” screen would be great but more than happy with 15” as well.

Any recommendations or advice for me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi

my laptop needs upgrading.

I am happy to spend up to £1500. Ideally want a laptop with a good enough spec to manage the next few titles at least on optimal settings.

ideas anyone?

much appreciated!!!

Can you get a laptop that maybe too high spec and may not run optimally?

Hello people!

I used to play FM 16 like a madman. Now i started Fm 2018 and i'm falling in love all over again. Now the problem is, that i am noticing my laptop having a hard time running it. I run FM together with a webbrowser with youtube or whatever. Now i was already planning on getting a new laptop, but now i am certain i want one. Do you guys have suggestions for laptops around 500-600 euros that can run FM18 (and FM19 in the future) a bit better? I dont care too much about the 3d ME functions, as i am an old school player so yeah. I read alot about it, and most of the time i see that the processor is really important. I prefer a 15" inch screen, i now have a 17,3 inch but its a bit big... If a 17" is a better choice, it wouldn't be a problem.

This is my current laptop:

https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/668655/acer-aspire-e5-772g-354x/specificaties/

Acer Aspire E5-772G 17.3"

8GB DDR3L RAM

GeForce 920M

Intel Core i3-5005U 2Ghz

Further information is in the link. 

I live in Holland, so things like eBay and other american sites are off, just in case you send me a suggestion because its on sale. So i hope you guys can help me out!

is something like this an option? https://www.coolblue.nl/product/813083/hp-pavilion-15-cs0952nd.html

@b101 what laptop you running? your video uploads seemed pretty clean, was that using FM upload to Youtube then embedding into the forum? Or another software?

General populous;

Budget up to £1000... laptop primarily for FM19 but future proof, as much as possible, for next few years.

I play mostly 2D (though would try 3d if I could get decent graphics). The ability to upload videos is a must, my current system cannot.

Only other usage would be streaming Sky Go, Now TV and similar services...

laptop only, I don't have a suitable man cave for a desktop ... and FM is all about being able to watch TV at the same time or be in the social area with the wife, not cooped away in room at a desk.

Archived