Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Recommended Posts

Hey, guys.

I've been skimming through the last 3 or 4 pages but only saw high-end laptops - way out of my budget.

I'm Brazilian and everything tech related is super expensive here. My budget would be around £380-400 but obviously I'll be buying a new laptop with BRL.

I intend to use it for everyday tasks like spreadsheets and streaming services, as well as playing lots of FM and a bit of Sims 4 (low settings) with the lady and some light/retro GOG games.

My FM saves usually consist of 6-8 countries with the top two leagues loaded, except the one I'm managing at, which I'll load down to the lower leagues (like England). As well as a large database of players. It's been a long time since I've played FM (the last one was FM16) but I think the player count used to be around 50k.

None of the laptops I'm interested in have a dedicated GPU but I don't really care, I tend to watch 2D matches and only see the goal replays on 3D. I think the Intel Graphics GPU can handle the games I use to play. 

I've narrowed down my options to 2 different laptops:

Samsung Expert X22

  • Core i5-7200U Dual Core 2.5 GHz

  • 8 GB DDR4 2133 mhz expansive to 16 GB

  • 1 TB HDD 5400 RPM

  • Intel Graphics HD 520

Lenovo Ideapad 320

  • Exactly the same specs (apart from GPU). So I guess I'm just trying to decide whether to take the Samsung or Lenovo here.

  • Intel Graphics HD 620

 

Obviously I don't think you guys will be able to suggest me other laptops considering the different currency, but my budget is 2.000 BRL for what it's worth.

I do have other options in mind but all of them have the same CPU, I believe it's the cheapest under my budget, I could never afford an i7.

Edited by trykson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, trykson said:

Hey, guys.

I've been skimming through the last 3 or 4 pages but only saw high-end laptops - way out of my budget.

I'm Brazilian and everything tech related is super expensive here. My budget would be around £380-400 but obviously I'll be buying a new laptop with BRL.

I intend to use it for everyday tasks like spreadsheets and streaming services, as well as playing lots of FM and a bit of Sims 4 (low settings) with the lady and some light/retro GOG games.

My FM saves usually consist of 6-8 countries with the top two leagues loaded, except the one I'm managing at, which I'll load down to the lower leagues (like England). As well as a large database of players. It's been a long time since I've played FM (the last one was FM16) but I think the player count used to be around 50k.

None of the laptops I'm interested in have a dedicated GPU but I don't really care, I tend to watch 2D matches and only see the goal replays on 3D. I think the Intel Graphics GPU can handle the games I use to play. 

I've narrowed down my options to 2 different laptops:

Samsung Expert X22

  • Core i5-7200U Dual Core 2.5 GHz

  • 8 GB DDR4 2133 mhz expansive to 16 GB

  • 1 TB HDD 5400 RPM

  • Intel Graphics HD 520

Lenovo Ideapad 320

  • Exactly the same specs (apart from GPU). So I guess I'm just trying to decide whether to take the Samsung or Lenovo here.

  • Intel Graphics HD 620

 

Obviously I don't think you guys will be able to suggest me other laptops considering the different currency, but my budget is 2.000 BRL for what it's worth.

I do have other options in mind but all of them have the same CPU, I believe it's the cheapest under my budget, I could never afford an i7.

Can you post a link to the website and I can take a look for you - I'm not wowed by those options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Can you post a link to the website and I can take a look for you - I'm not wowed by those options.

Lenovo:

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaPad-320-15IKB-Laptop-Computer/dp/B0749BNM55

I'm not buying it from Amazon, though.

I really couldn't find the Samsung model on any English website, including Samsung's. I guess it's only sold in Brazil?

https://www.samsung.com/br/pc/notebook-np270e5k-kw2br/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you post the link where youre buying from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found two more. I'm now leaning towards the Dell (the second of these two links) over the rest as it has more SSD space and a 4K screen with the same graphics chip, processor and RAM. However I've heard that 1080p full HD doesn't play well on a 4K screen. Is that true? Also I've never heard of Asus (the first one) so what are they like generally? That one also seems to be the oldest of the ones I've picked out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-GL502VM-FY172T-15-6-inch-Gaming-Titanium/dp/B0714MK3ZN/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1530821727&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=asus%2Brog%2Bstrix%2Bgl503vm&th=1

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-7577-15-6-intel-core-i7-gtx-1060-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-512-gb-ssd-10174164-pdt.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both pretty similar. Asus are a good make

But if youre happy with more ssd then the dell is great too. I have a similar dell and its fab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right, I'm not very good at working out what's better than the rest, but have had a small windfall and want to upgrade my laptop.  I used to have a pretty good MSi gaming laptop but it broke and the one I have now isn't that great and I had to get at the time due to funds.  

So what am I after, two games I've missed out on because of my downgrade have been Warhammer Total War and Europa Universalis IV, then obviously Football Manager with as many leagues as possible. 

Budget -£1.5k - £2k, and maybe stretch a little if something is irresistible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2018 at 18:59, Helpless said:

Right, I'm not very good at working out what's better than the rest, but have had a small windfall and want to upgrade my laptop.  I used to have a pretty good MSi gaming laptop but it broke and the one I have now isn't that great and I had to get at the time due to funds.  

So what am I after, two games I've missed out on because of my downgrade have been Warhammer Total War and Europa Universalis IV, then obviously Football Manager with as many leagues as possible. 

Budget -£1.5k - £2k, and maybe stretch a little if something is irresistible.

 

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 OC 1518 MHz - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

Price £2,005.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/octanev-17/60eB8znXvZ/

 

Something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Smurf said:

 

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 OC 1518 MHz - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

Price £2,005.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/octanev-17/60eB8znXvZ/

 

Something like that. 

This is about as good a gaming laptop setup you can get... I would only suggest you email or phone pcspecialist before ordering and talk to them about cooling solutions as the standard stuff that comes with that chassis will not cover it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone the ideal laptop for £700(ish)? As before, used for general internet use, and plenty of leagues/large database loaded in FM.

I know I asked recently, but I’ve lowered my budget slightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

 

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080) + G-Sync
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700k (3.7GHz) 12MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 OC 1518 MHz - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB INTEL® 760p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (upto 3230MB/sR | 1625MB/sW)
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Thermal Paste
COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND

Price £2,005.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations/octanev-17/60eB8znXvZ/

 

Something like that. 

Thanks Smurf for the suggestion.  

When looking around I was looking st this, 

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2CS53EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&p=c-OMEN-by-HP-gaming-laptops

through a student discount I can get it for just under £1.5k - looking st the stats, I am thinking there isn't much difference, but the HP being considerably cheaper with my discount, would I be right?

Edited by Helpless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Helpless said:

Thanks Smurf for the suggestion.  

When looking around I was looking st this, 

https://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2CS53EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB&p=c-OMEN-by-HP-gaming-laptops

through a student discount I can get it for just under £1.5k - looking st the stats, I am thinking there isn't much difference, but the HP being considerably cheaper with my discount, would I be right?

The omen has an  i7-7700HQ and the one I put together has an i7-8700k

To put it into perspective here's the comparison

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/3937vsm211019

 949990376_ScreenShot2018-07-09at10_49_08.thumb.png.b7171cbb99db541729ad2bd8d3f1a729.png

 

Trust me - I put together a very good PC. 

 

And heed the advice of Welshace, phone PC specilaist before you buy to ensure you can get a good cooling solution,. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Adamm90 said:

Can anyone the ideal laptop for £700(ish)? As before, used for general internet use, and plenty of leagues/large database loaded in FM.

I know I asked recently, but I’ve lowered my budget slightly.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-ZX553VD-DM970T-Gaming-Laptop_2145528.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smurf said:

The omen has an  i7-7700HQ and the one I put together has an i7-8700k

To put it into perspective here's the comparison

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ/3937vsm211019

 949990376_ScreenShot2018-07-09at10_49_08.thumb.png.b7171cbb99db541729ad2bd8d3f1a729.png

 

Trust me - I put together a very good PC. 

 

And heed the advice of Welshace, phone PC specilaist before you buy to ensure you can get a good cooling solution,. 

 

 

Oh I get that thdt what you have violet is very good and has the better processor, but I suppose another way to ask the question is, is it £500 better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Helpless said:

Oh I get that thdt what you have violet is very good and has the better processor, but I suppose another way to ask the question is, is it £500 better?

Yes - and only because the processor is so much better. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

G'Day Boys and Girls,

Hoping to jump back into FM following this amazing WC, and looking to purchase a Laptop that'll give me the ability to load a serious database

We're talking 8+ nations with a large database.

http://www.budgetpc.com.au/special-products/hp-omen-17-w228tx-17-3-i7-7700hq-gaming-notebook

I can currently get the linked Omen for $1,600 AUD, or 900 pound for those in the UK.

Should I be snapping up this offer? Or can you see any issues with the listed specs?

Wish I knew more about computers, but unfortunately just like my FM tactics, I'm relying on this forum for help!

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, woblowombat said:

G'Day Boys and Girls,

Hoping to jump back into FM following this amazing WC, and looking to purchase a Laptop that'll give me the ability to load a serious database

We're talking 8+ nations with a large database.

http://www.budgetpc.com.au/special-products/hp-omen-17-w228tx-17-3-i7-7700hq-gaming-notebook

I can currently get the linked Omen for $1,600 AUD, or 900 pound for those in the UK.

Should I be snapping up this offer? Or can you see any issues with the listed specs?

Wish I knew more about computers, but unfortunately just like my FM tactics, I'm relying on this forum for help!

Cheers

Looks good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Yes - and only because the processor is so much better. 

 

Ok - so what am I asking in regards to cooling system?

 

Sorry for so many question I'm learning!

Edited by Helpless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/07/2018 at 10:20, Smurf said:

Both pretty similar. Asus are a good make

But if youre happy with more ssd then the dell is great too. I have a similar dell and its fab

Thanks Smurf. If you think your similar Dell is fab then I think I shall go with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Helpless said:

Ok - so what am I asking in regards to cooling system?

 

Sorry for so many question I'm learning!

Tell them what you're using it for, that the processor is likely to get a lot of use using FM and ask them what cooling solutions they offer with that model. It might be an extra fan, or better thermal paste... but it would be good to talk to them directly.

5 hours ago, Tarik314 said:

Unfortunately, none of those are good enough for what you want. 

You'd need to increase your budget.

This is really what I'd recommend. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AN515-51-56U0-15-6-Core-i5-7300HQ-8GB-DDR4-256GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-1920-x-1080-IPSNotebook/124007960

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Adamm90 said:

Ordered this last night at £699, and it’s gone up to £840 today!

That's insane! Glad you got it at the cheaper price then :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Smurf said:

Unfortunately, none of those are good enough for what you want. 

You'd need to increase your budget.

This is really what I'd recommend. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-AN515-51-56U0-15-6-Core-i5-7300HQ-8GB-DDR4-256GB-SSD-Windows-10-Home-1920-x-1080-IPSNotebook/124007960

 

 

 

Dang! What if i increase those laptops rams to 8gb or more? I like to run my game on 2d, so i dont need a good graphic card.

Also, should i be looking for minimum things like i5 to i7 processor, 8gb ram, hard drive capacity, am i missing anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tarik314 said:

Dang! What if i increase those laptops rams to 8gb or more? I like to run my game on 2d, so i dont need a good graphic card.

Also, should i be looking for minimum things like i5 to i7 processor, 8gb ram, hard drive capacity, am i missing anything else?

For a large database you would be looking for a good processor and lots of RAM. 

The computers you posted earlier, they are quite old, with processors in which are in their 3rd generation, we are now entering 8th generation processors. To put it into persepective, they are from the year 2012 and earlier. Given a computers shelf life is typically 5-7 years, these computers would be nearing end of life. 

 

  1. Do you have to buy from walmart?
  2. What's your max budget?

 

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Smurf said:

For a large database you would be looking for a good processor and lots of RAM. 

The computers you posted earlier, they are quite old, with processors in which are in their 3rd generation, we are now entering 8th generation processors. To put it into persepective, they are from the year 2012 and earlier. Given a computers shelf life is typically 5-7 years, these computers would be nearing end of life. 

 

  1. Do you have to buy from walmart?
  2. What's your max budget?

 

  

No, i dont have too.  Im trying to spend around $250 to 350. If its impossible then i dont mind running a game at like 60,000 to 75,000 players.

what about this one?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/483388/15-bs015dx_156_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black?ob=1

 

Edited by Tarik314

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Tarik314 said:

No, i dont have too.  Im trying to spend around $250 to 350. If its impossible then i dont mind running a game at like 60,000 to 75,000 players.

what about this one?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/483388/15-bs015dx_156_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black?ob=1

 

How about this http://www.microcenter.com/product/501489/17-bs153cl_173_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Silver

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone help for a budget of around £400? I know its not a lot but pretty skint! I have a spare 500gb SSD samsung 850 EVO from old dead laptop if this helps. Not sure if you can add to a new laptop anyway? Sorry, bit of a novice! Thanks in advance.

happy to consider refurbished if they are generally recommended? Also, noticed amazon have prime day coming up on 16th, wonder if they will have any laptop deals?!

Edited by robNUFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems £400 might be too low, especially if i want to watch on 3D, am I right?

using your guide to buying from last year I found this https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

is this the best I could get if I stretched my budget to £600?

or is this worth the extra? https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html

 

many thanks. 

Edited by robNUFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is currently reduced to £499. Is it a better processor and graphics card?

https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/inspiron-15-5000-mega-deal-price-499-with-coupon/spd/inspiron-15-5570-laptop/cn57044/configurations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RobertoNUFC said:

Would be interested to hear if this is worth it for FM only, as am looking for a good deal also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Connor said:

Would be interested to hear if this is worth it for FM only, as am looking for a good deal also?

It's good enough. 

Bit of an ask - but an extra 100 gets you this

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

Which would be better.

 

This is refurbished but it's A+ rating which should be in good nick - and it's only an extra £30

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM968T(C)-GRADE-A-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM968T_2295756.html
https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/grading

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, RobertoNUFC said:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NH.Q2UEK.001-Acer-Nitro-5-AN515-41-F3K8_2140668.html

This seems good. Any downsides? Dont know much about AMD against intel. 

 

10 hours ago, RobertoNUFC said:

Neither of them suitable

Going by your budget of approx 600 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone used ebuyer.co.uk. Found this £100 cheaper there currently.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

 

hows this one smurf. Seems good spec and has ssd plus hdd. https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html

Edited by robNUFC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, RobertoNUFC said:

Many thanks pal. Not heard of the brand before but may well go for it! 

Msi is an excellent brand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, robNUFC said:

Anyone used ebuyer.co.uk. Found this £100 cheaper there currently.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

 

hows this one smurf. Seems good spec and has ssd plus hdd. https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html

Yeh looks good. SsD doesnt really help FM - but overall you will have a faster boot up and shut down. I wouldnt go back to a normal hard drive after having ssd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...