Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

20 hours ago, Kyle1606 said:

Would this be any good at running the game? Has Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5GHz processor, 8gb ram and intel HD graphics 620. 

As I said I am not interested in the 3D match engine. Just want to make sure this Would run the game well enough Or is this below spec?

https://www.ebuyer.com/819665-asus-vivobook-15-x540ua-laptop-x540ua-gq024t

It's a bit below spec 

Could you stretch?https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

On 29/05/2018 at 14:12, Kyle1606 said:

Hi, my old laptop is on its last legs and plan on buying a new one. I am thinking about the HP 15 BW068SA which has AMD A6-9220 APU processor (2.5 GHz base frequency, up to 2.9 GHz burst frequency, 1 MB cache) , 4gb RAM and AMD Radeon R4 graphics card. Would this be enough to run the game? Also the new laptop would not have a disc drive so would I be able to download steam and install the game from their without the disc?

Thanks

No - I wouldn't recommend - what's your budget (see link above for recommendation)

On 29/05/2018 at 22:03, gazza8 said:

Long time member but with family etc im just getting sime time back to play FM.  Its really all il use laptop for

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/cn57702

Can anyone tell me how quick this will run game? How many leagues players etc

Many thanks

I bought the exact same one the other day - it's fantastic. It's thin, light etc.  

Although haven't loaded FM18 up on it yet. Loaded FM12 (my fav) and on my previous laptop was only getting about 7 leauges loaded (with 5 playable) with a medium database. But this one I loaded 20 playable leagues with a large database and it's flying.

But so far so good.

21 hours ago, danny_b1989 said:

Am in the market for a new laptop, mainly to use for playing FM. I've got vouchers for currys/pc world so want to only really buy from them direct. Have read through some of this thread and done some basic research, but could do with a bit of guidance between two laptops that are both in my budget, and both seem good for FM. Which would you go for?

I would like to just run the main leagues across Europe (England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy) and a medium-large database.

I like the look of the lenovo one and reviews say it's light and fast. But i've only ever really had Dell laptops so feel nervous about moving away from them!

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-mineral-grey-10164497-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-5000-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050m-gaming-laptop-256-gb-ssd-10164852-pdt.html

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks.

Defo the 2nd one by a landslide. 

What's your budget though - is that your top end?

Edited by Smurf

@Smurf, could you please help me build a desktop PC that would be decent enough for FM? Budget is around €500 / £437.

Would either of these be okay?

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gq8TwP/entry-level-intel-gaming-build

or

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/X3nTwP/entry-level-amd-gaming-build

They're definitely better than what I have now, but I'm wondering if I could replace any of the parts for a better processor maybe?

@Smurf On a thong type budget the Piledriver FX’s maybe worth a look. Can get them under a hundred, and a four core for like 50 quid on EBay. Maybe just as good for FM than a Ryzen. I would probably look at some value DRAM as well, won’t be as efficient as higer graded stuff, but may save a good 30 to 40 quid shopping around. Just a thought .

On mobile at the moment. Have to get some wallpapering and painting done then walk the dog and then get out the laptop later this evening and I will take a look.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

On mobile at the moment. Have to get some wallpapering and painting done then walk the dog and then get out the laptop later this evening and I will take a look.

Me too. Shopping 🤮

4 hours ago, basqueliverpool said:

hi, have been told by work yo use an apple mac for video editing but always play fm. Is this laptop good for fm?

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/bag/shared_bag/ee0f09b8-389a-4521-a63b-e3d4db640d04

As always, the question is what you meean by good?

It will load the game , and it will play, but what is good to you? how many leagues? do you like dcent 3d? etc

May help for the OP to also list if a Mac is strictly necessary as well.

I think if they are video editing and using Final Cut Pro then you need a mac as Final Cut Pro is not available on Windows.

Macs are expensive and much more so than windows and not really for any good reason. My work mac constantly overheats and turns off. Programmes close without warning.

Macs are not anything special. And you can get Windows OS computer with same specs for much much cheaper.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

I think if they are video editing and using Final Cut Pro then you need a mac as Final Cut Pro is not available on Windows.

Macs are expensive and much more so than windows and not really for any good reason. My work mac constantly overheats and turns off. Programmes close without warning.

Macs are not anything special. And you can get Windows OS computer with same specs for much much cheaper.

Totally agree on that. I was seriously considering an All In One based on the i5. Would have been the middle priced one at about 1750 pounds or so from PC World. The highest model came in 2200 I believe for nothing more than a few increments in processor speed. 

Admittedly the Retina screens are very good, have one on my iPad Air 2 (only got it on mobile contract for work stuff as well) but that’s about all they have going for them IMHO. 

16 hours ago, Welshace said:

As always, the question is what you meean by good?

It will load the game , and it will play, but what is good to you? how many leagues? do you like dcent 3d? etc

play it in depth so normally around 15 countries. play games in two 2d and normally do roughly 10-15 seasons on a save. Really appreciate the advice

Hi only been playing FM on switch this year but tempted to get full game and play on laptop, now laptop is old so wondering if it will run it ? can i use 3D or not ?

Windows 7

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30 GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB

System: 64 Bit 

Graphics: Intel (R) HD graphics family 

Thank you

Edited by lfc7

9 hours ago, basqueliverpool said:

play it in depth so normally around 15 countries. play games in two 2d and normally do roughly 10-15 seasons on a save. Really appreciate the advice

I would suggest that playing that sort of game on any imac would be an issue, they just aren't optimised for gaming..

And Smurf has covered it well really, vastly overpriced for what you get out of them.. it all depends what the work you need to do on them is.. despite changes in recent years macs are still geared towards editing and the like rather than being a workhorse (which lends itself to FM)...

I wouldn't feel right recommending a mac to anyone tbh!

2 hours ago, lfc7 said:

Hi only been playing FM on switch this year but tempted to get full game and play on laptop, now laptop is old so wondering if it will run it ? can i use 3D or not ?

Windows 7

Processor: Intel (R) Core (TM) i3-2350M CPU @ 2.30 GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB

System: 64 Bit 

Graphics: Intel (R) HD graphics family 

Thank you

No 3d, that's for sure.... it will also be very slow on anything but a few leagues... wouldn't recommend it at all.. 

Specs remind me of a good Lenovo old thinkpad.. i wonder if it is?

50 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I would suggest that playing that sort of game on any imac would be an issue, they just aren't optimised for gaming..

And Smurf has covered it well really, vastly overpriced for what you get out of them.. it all depends what the work you need to do on them is.. despite changes in recent years macs are still geared towards editing and the like rather than being a workhorse (which lends itself to FM)...

I wouldn't feel right recommending a mac to anyone tbh!

what would you recommend for this level of play then? 

13 minutes ago, basqueliverpool said:

what would you recommend for this level of play then? 

Depends on your budget really? and whether you can go for a non mac?

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

No 3d, that's for sure.... it will also be very slow on anything but a few leagues... wouldn't recommend it at all.. 

Specs remind me of a good Lenovo old thinkpad.. i wonder if it is?

2D would be fine as i only watch goal replays in 3D as use 2D to try help with tactics although am mostly ***** :( when you say a few leagues i could run it on say small/medium database, with maybe 3 leagues ? i don't have money to buy a new laptop at the moment, so just playing it even with a small amount of leagues will be great.

Laptop is a samsung notebook model NP300E5A

thanks for reply :) 

Edited by lfc7

13 hours ago, lfc7 said:

2D would be fine as i only watch goal replays in 3D as use 2D to try help with tactics although am mostly ***** :( when you say a few leagues i could run it on say small/medium database, with maybe 3 leagues ? i don't have money to buy a new laptop at the moment, so just playing it even with a small amount of leagues will be great.

Laptop is a samsung notebook model NP300E5A

thanks for reply :) 

Fair enough, I can play 2d with database similar to what you're saying on a similar laptop, it's not fast and it tends to overheat sometimes, but it plays... 

Best to just give it a go and see how it goes, demo is a good indicator of a similar size database really, maybe give that a go? or steam offers a refund for games purchased with less than a few hours played on it.

Hi there, fellow FM'ers.

My laptop died, so I'm currently on the market, scouting for a new one. FM is not the only game I play, but it is the one I spend most time with (I also play Diablo 3, Overwatch, WoW).

What's more important for FM? Should I invest on a better graphics card, a better processor or more RAM? The money isn't infinite, so I must make choices. I'm thinking a GPU 1050ti or a 1060 (is it worth the extra buck, or is it a bit overkill?). 8Gb RAM is enough, or should I go for 16gb? Quad core is enough for FM, or a hexa core is the way to go?

I'd like a quick answer, pls, as I'm about to buy the laptop this week.

Thanks.

Cpu is king for FM... any middle of the road graphics card is more than adequate for FM too... 8gb ram minimum, above is better..

For other games, graphics card is a must of course.

1050ti is fine for FM - however, if you're playing other games I'd skip the 1060 and go for the 1070.

8gb RAM is a min... as pointed out already - but you can add/change RAM easily.

Defo backup Welshace on his advice there - the better the processor you invest in the more longevity you will have for FM.

On 04/06/2018 at 11:41, Welshace said:

Fair enough, I can play 2d with database similar to what you're saying on a similar laptop, it's not fast and it tends to overheat sometimes, but it plays... 

Best to just give it a go and see how it goes, demo is a good indicator of a similar size database really, maybe give that a go? or steam offers a refund for games purchased with less than a few hours played on it.

Thanks give demo a go 

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

Defo backup Welshace on his advice there - the better the processor you invest in the more longevity you will have for FM.

How would a Pentium G4560 paired with a 1050Ti do? Could I maybe replace the graphics card for a cheaper one, to get a better processor?

Looking for a budget build, so as cheap as possible, but decent enough for FM.

Edited by DiStru_

2 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

How would a Pentium G4560 paired with a 1050Ti do? Could I maybe replace the graphics card for a cheaper one, to get a better processor?

Looking for a budget build, so as cheap as possible, but decent enough for FM.

Think you need to decide what you want out of your system really... you seem to need to decide between a cpu or a gpu, so really, it's between FM or other games... which is more important?

the G4560 wouldn't be ideal for fm.. it's a great budget cpu and frankly, does fine with most games, but FM is so cpu intensive, you'd be better off with a lower end i5 or decent i3  for around the same price.

The 1050ti will be fine for most games, as long as you aren't expecting ultra high graphics.

5 hours ago, Welshace said:

Think you need to decide what you want out of your system really... you seem to need to decide between a cpu or a gpu, so really, it's between FM or other games... which is more important?

I only play FM really, so I'm not worried about other games.

I've no clue about the PC-building stuff, so I followed this guide: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gq8TwP/entry-level-intel-gaming-build

Could you please be specific and let me know which processor and graphics card should I get instead? I'd really appreciate it. I assume that the integrated ones would not be enough, since FM is becoming more graphically intense (especially this year)?

Also, my budget for the whole build is around €550 / £480. I don't even think I need an SSD, since I don't think it improves the FM experience very much really and I don't mind the slower boot time.

8 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

I've no clue about the PC-building stuff, so I followed this guide: https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gq8TwP/entry-level-intel-gaming-build

Could you please be specific and let me know which processor and graphics card should I get instead? I'd really appreciate it. I assume that the integrated ones would not be enough, since FM is becoming more graphically intense (especially this year)?

Also, my budget for the whole build is around €550 / £480. I don't even think I need an SSD, since I don't think it improves the FM experience very much really and I don't mind the slower boot time.

If you haven't got a clue then why are you building one? 

1 hour ago, Beltsu said:

2nd one.

16 minutes ago, Smurf said:

If you haven't got a clue then why are you building one?

Because it's cheaper than buying a pre-made one. I can get the most out of my money that way.

I'm okay when it comes to other components, currently I just need help picking a processor and a graphics card. Even if I went with a G4560 and a 1050Ti, it would still be a much better build than what I have now, but I'd rather pick a cheaper graphics card and a better processor, if that's what will make my FM experience better.

Edited by DiStru_
Grammar

8 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

It's cool you are looking to build one yourself, are you confident you can get it done? It's never as hard as people expect, as long as you take each step super slow and consider every move you make properly (far too easy to break a pin or two here, thermal paste the wrong thing there etc...

Bare in mind that guide, while excellent, is a guide for a gaming pc, so it's set up with gpu power in mind, and not set up for cpu power for fm... That cpu is an entry level duel core chip.

I'd be looking at a low to mid range i5 and pair it with any half decent graphics card that's compatible with at least 2gb dedicated vram (so really basic is fine)

Have you considered cyberpowersystem.co.uk or something? it's the best of both worlds really.. you get to customise your system but also get it build for you.. just an ideato consider.

21 minutes ago, Welshace said:

It's cool you are looking to build one yourself, are you confident you can get it done? It's never as hard as people expect, as long as you take each step super slow and consider every move you make properly (far too easy to break a pin or two here, thermal paste the wrong thing there etc...

I will get some help with the actual building, I just need to pick the parts when ordering it.

So far I've got this:

• Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz (Kaby Lake) 1151 - cheapest i5 I could find, will it do the job?
  • MSI B250M
  • Patriot 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR 4 2400 CL15
  • Toshiba 500GB
  • LC-Power 400W 800Plus Bronze
  • Aerocool CS-100 Micro ATX tower

That leaves me about 70-80 bucks for a graphics card. Any suggestions?

Edited by DiStru_

Bad news on the graphics front - the graphics card I'm coming across are the same or worse then the built in GPU, at that price.

I'd recommend not getting one to start with - then save a bit more in the mean time and add a graphics card later. 

If you're looking at that sort of spec.. you are better off buying a prebuilt system .. it'll be cheaper.

It's confusing, but it has always been the case that building your own is cheaper.. that is until gpu's and other components have skyrocketted in price thanks in large to miners...

This is the first I came up with while googling for instance... you'll find much better with a bit of time looking..

https://www.expertec.co.uk/core-i5-7500-kaby-lake-7th-gen-pc-with-ddr4-windows-7-pro.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2r7M4-O-2wIVw7XtCh0iIAHTEAQYBSABEgKMz_D_BwE

Appreciate the help, guys!

Expertec unfortunately doesn't ship to my country, but I found this one that has an i5:

• Intel Core i5-7400 6MB 3.0GHz/3.50GGHz 4C/4T
  • MSI H110M ECO mATX
  • DDR4 8GB 2400 MHz, CL16, Single (1x8GB)
  • SSD 240 GB SATA3
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 1030 2GB DDR5

Is the graphics card good enough for FM?

Also, is the GeForce GTX 1030 and a GeForce GT 1030 the same graphics card or is there a difference?

Edited by DiStru_

Never had my hands on the 7850h so far, but the effective speed should be better... 

It has a lower base frequency to the 6700hq but also a high turbo speed, and of course the extra cores ( and threads) will help no end..

Between them I would go 7850H, but price comes into it too.

20 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

Appreciate the help, guys!

Expertec unfortunately doesn't ship to my country, but I found this one that has an i5:

• Intel Core i5-7400 6MB 3.0GHz/3.50GGHz 4C/4T
  • MSI H110M ECO mATX
  • DDR4 8GB 2400 MHz, CL16, Single (1x8GB)
  • SSD 240 GB SATA3
  • nVidia GeForce GTX 1030 2GB DDR5

Is the graphics card good enough for FM?

Also, is the GeForce GTX 1030 and a GeForce GT 1030 the same graphics card or is there a difference?

There isn't a gtx 1030...

The 1030 is entry level from AMD and the on board gpu is prob better

41 minutes ago, Smurf said:

The 1030 is entry level from AMD and the on board gpu is prob better

How bad is the i5's on board GPU when it comes to FM though? Surely it should be good enough, if I'm not looking to play other games, or will it actually struggle to run the FM's 3D engine? If I have a choice to make, either an entry level CPU like a G4560 and a 1050Ti vs. an i5 (8400, I guess?) and no graphics card, which would give me a better FM experience?

I'm sorry for being a pain in the butt, I just want to make sure that I get the most out of my money, since I'm working on a tight budget.

Edited by DiStru_

You can always add the graphics card later. 

I'd go with the better processor. 

The i5 8400, which has UHD HD Graphics 630, should be reasonably equal to a GTX 940 - which would be fine for FM on low-mid settings.

If I was you I'd skip the GPU for now and add it later on - definitely save up and get the GTX 1050Ti 4gb or the GTX1060 or 1070.

21 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

How bad is the i5's on board GPU when it comes to FM though? Surely it should be good enough, if I'm not looking to play other games, or will it actually struggle to run the FM's 3D engine? If I have a choice to make, either an entry level CPU like a G4560 and a 1050Ti vs. an i5 (8400, I guess?) and no graphics card, which would give me a better FM experience?

I'm sorry for being a pain in the butt, I just want to make sure that I get the most out of my money, since I'm working on a tight budget.

Yes good advice above. Better to save for a decent card than maybe forcing yourself to buy a lower end one just because you feel, or get told you need it. 

22 hours ago, DiStru_ said:

I agree, the onboard chip is more than enough to run fm for now...better cpu is always the better option

6 hours ago, Welshace said:

I agree, the onboard chip is more than enough to run fm for now...better cpu is always the better option

That's what I was hoping to read, thanks!

Edited by DiStru_

On 03/06/2018 at 22:21, Welshace said:

Depends on your budget really? and whether you can go for a non mac?

sorry thought i had quoted question. around £1500-2k

1 hour ago, basqueliverpool said:

sorry thought i had quoted question. around £1500-2k

Well let me put it this way.. if you want to go mac, you don't have much choice really.. just get the best mac you can find for that money...

If you can go no mac, your choices are endless and you can get a laptop easily twice as good as the mac you will get.

Afternoon all, I am going to be in the market for a new laptop soon. I am hoping to get something high end as I want longevity out of the device. 

I am looking at either a Dell XPS 13 or 15, or a MacBook Pro. Do any of you have any experience of using FM with these devices?

I am looking at a spec similar to the below...

Processor

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)

Memory

16GB DDR4-2400MHz;

Hard Drive

512GB PCIe Solid State Drive

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5

31 minutes ago, pullthru said:

Afternoon all, I am going to be in the market for a new laptop soon. I am hoping to get something high end as I want longevity out of the device. 

I am looking at either a Dell XPS 13 or 15, or a MacBook Pro. Do any of you have any experience of using FM with these devices?

I am looking at a spec similar to the below...

Processor

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor (6M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)

Memory

16GB DDR4-2400MHz;

Hard Drive

512GB PCIe Solid State Drive

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5

The xps range is superb, bit full of bloatware, but you can solve that easily...

That spec is great, although I would consider the new gen processors too as they are looking very good in real world tests..

Depends on budget, as always though.

P.s .. please stay away from macs...  they excel at very little and are ridiculously expensive.