New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

3 hours ago, Ben B said:

Hi guys, I play football manager on my IPhone, and do enjoy that, but it isn’t as good as a desktop version (obviously) but I don’t have a laptop/computer at this moment, so can’t play the ‘desktop’ version of Football Manager 2018 , so.. I was wondering if you guys could let me know what is the best Laptop etc for me to purchase to be able to play FM2018? Cheap/expensive alternatives included please. Thanks guys. 

There isn't actually a best laptop for FM. Budget wise as Smurf has suggested will do you okay. If however, you also fancy playing other games, and have a decent budget, you will need to spend 1500 plus (inc VAT). Manufacturer support for the 7th gen will stop soon as the likes of ASUS, Acer and MSI etc will mass part buy the newer Intel and AMD processors. Which also means replacement parts may become expensive if hard to get. For FM the 7700 will be fine, for the newer games here and coming, they will benefit from the newer processors. Just advise you to be very clear before parting with a big wedge of cash, especially if it is just for FM.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Transk53 said:

There isn't actually a best laptop for FM. Budget wise as Smurf has suggested will do you okay. If however, you also fancy playing other games, and have a decent budget, you will need to spend 1500 plus (inc VAT). Manufacturer support for the 7th gen will stop soon as the likes of ASUS, Acer and MSI etc will mass part buy the newer Intel and AMD processors. Which also means replacement parts may become expensive if hard to get. For FM the 7700 will be fine, for the newer games here and coming, they will benefit from the newer processors. Just advise you to be very clear before parting with a big wedge of cash, especially if it is just for FM.

Ive never heard so many fallacies on this thread as this tbh...

A budget of 1500 to play some modern games? no, you'll be fine for modern games for 2/3's of that, if not half....

support ending? no, intel released support driverscovering  6th gen yesterday for instance,nevermind 7th gen... don't be silly now.

Replacement parts for a laptop? how many people replace key components on a laptop? certainly not the cpu and certainly not 95% of consumers.

Newer generations are always going to be nice to have, but just like buying a car and considering engines, an old v8 will still out perform most modern engines.. My primary gaming machine has a very old processor.. it just happens to be a workhorse that has lasted me 7 years and will still kick modern games posteriors.

12 hours ago, Welshace said:

Ive never heard so many fallacies on this thread as this tbh...

A budget of 1500 to play some modern games? no, you'll be fine for modern games for 2/3's of that, if not half....

#support ending? no, intel released support driverscovering  6th gen yesterday for instance,nevermind 7th gen... don't be silly now.

Replacement parts for a laptop? how many people replace key components on a laptop? certainly not the cpu and certainly not 95% of consumers.

Newer generations are always going to be nice to have, but just like buying a car and considering engines, an old v8 will still out perform most modern engines.. *My primary gaming machine has a very old processor.. it just happens to be a workhorse that has lasted me 7 years and will still kick modern games posteriors.

#Thanks for the info on that

I wasn’t alluding to processor support in that context, more over the the versions that the manufacturers will start to buy now for their products. I meant that, not if the processor borks, that they may not have stocks of parts for a continued amount of support for that particular product. Exactly for what you have pointed out, who is going to replace a CPU in a laptop. laptops are meant just to work, so huge amounts of spares won’t be there.  

*Yes I too, I had an old overclocked AMD on a Socket 939 mobo in the era of the first generations of the core i5’s and i7’s. Yes it competed, and I agree spec and build a rig fit for purpose it will last without having to make upgrades. So yes you very correct with a desktop.

Okay if I am wrong, I am wrong and always willing to apologise, but please tell me, what laptop for around two thirds cheaper is going to play Overwatch or Far Cry on decent settings on a GTX 1050?  None I would wager.

Why have we changed the parameters ?

'decent settings' and adding in a gtx 1050? Where in your post does it say those are needed?

What do you class as decent settings?

I have 5 laptops in my workshop right now for  <£1000 that would play overwatch on medium to high without a sweat.

But if you insist on adding in new requirements... how about the msi gl62m ?  I last saw it on most online shops listed at around £800 with an 7700hq and the gtx 1050 you asked for.... 

I'm only suggesting your information may be slightly skewed is all...  and when users come to this thread asking for help when they may not know much themselves, suggesting that they need to spend £1500 on a laptop to play a few modern games, tilts me, as it's just bad information.. sorry.

Either way, I don't want to derail the good work in this thread, i've followed it since the start and having people like Smurf continue to help people is awesome, having others would be great too, if you can take the knowledge you clearly have and maybe reign in the expectations on people a bit.

I agree with @Welshace

You have great knowledge, but I think it confuses people. 

Anyone that knows what you're talking about wouldn't be here looking for advice. In terms of other games, I'm not too bothered about them as people come here looking for a laptop to play FM. And most the time that's all they play.

If they want a different type of gaming laptop here isn't the place to ask - as I don't play any other games, but I know you can use a U processor with other games, and beef up the GPU and use 8gb RAM and all will be well. 

But for FM the processor is key and the GPU is secondary, a standard mid-range graphics card is all that's needed - and the U processor DOES NOT cut it for FM.

SO the paramaters of the scope of laptop changes for FM - it needs a beefy Processor - not a beefy GPU

- and it certainly doesn't need a lot of jargon.

People come here looking for a laptop on a budget mostly under £1000 and some under £600 and some under £400.

It's great when someone has a budget above of £1000 and they don't have a limit - but that's rare. 

There's great information in this thread.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I agree with @Welshace

You have great knowledge, but I think it confuses people. 

Anyone that knows what you're talking about wouldn't be here looking for advice. In terms of other games, I'm not too bothered about them as people come here looking for a laptop to play FM. And most the time that's all they play.

If they want a different type of gaming laptop here isn't the place to ask - as I don't play any other games, but I know you can use a U processor with other games, and beef up the GPU and use 8gb RAM and all will be well. 

#But for FM the processor is key and the GPU is secondary, a standard mid-range graphics card is all that's needed - and the U processor DOES NOT cut it for FM.

SO the paramaters of the scope of laptop changes for FM - it needs a beefy Processor - not a beefy GPU

- and it certainly doesn't need a lot of jargon.

People come here looking for a laptop on a budget mostly under £1000 and some under £600 and some under £400.

It's great when someone has a budget above of £1000 and they don't have a limit - but that's rare. 

There's great information in this thread.

Granted, I do have tremendous difficulty in conveying myself sometimes. Some of us are not born with mainstream social skills taken for granted.

Yes aware of that one. Was trying to politely point out that if a person can, it is well worth spending an extra few quid on a higer rated GPU. Yes the game is essentially a spreadsheet, so has always been CPU tied. However, SI introducing the new version of the ME, IMHO they want to shift some emphasis towards the GPU in the future. Just something I personally think to keep mind eventually.

You can actually use a U processor with this game, some friends have a Toshiba and a Dell I believe, but yes it is with the old style CM match interface though. How many leagues I don’t know, but it is possible. Yes though I heartily agree with that they don’t cut the mustard wholesale, and not recommended.

Yes I agree with the jargon point and apologise for the upset caused. It wasn’t my intent to come on this thread and upset people. I will openly admit that people like myself that will go as far as wanting a particular model part, a particular speed of DRAM and latency etc, I have gone way too far in reading the needs of the members posting here. My experience with laptops on a general scale is very limited. My personal needs always exceed budget wise beyond what I could build myself with desktop parts, so really I have no place commenting, and especially as I have no doubt you obviously know what you are talking about 👍 I will refrain from poking my nose in unless something I can actually help with.

Tbh, I am more annoyed with myself by making myself look like an amateur with tech, and especially coming across as one of those Google or Wiki experts. Anyway on a positive note for me, really enjoying this game 😊 My laptop running very well and stable which I particularly pleased about. Nothing more annoying when you have those thoughts “why didn’t they set that up right” kind of thing.

Keep up the good work Smurf 👍

9 minutes ago, Transk53 said:

Granted, I do have tremendous difficulty in conveying myself sometimes. Some of us are not born with mainstream social skills taken for granted.

Yes aware of that one. Was trying to politely point out that if a person can, it is well worth spending an extra few quid on a higer rated GPU. Yes the game is essentially a spreadsheet, so has always been CPU tied. However, SI introducing the new version of the ME, IMHO they want to shift some emphasis towards the GPU in the future. Just something I personally think to keep mind eventually.

You can actually use a U processor with this game, some friends have a Toshiba and a Dell I believe, but yes it is with the old style CM match interface though. How many leagues I don’t know, but it is possible. Yes though I heartily agree with that they don’t cut the mustard wholesale, and not recommended.

Yes I agree with the jargon point and apologise for the upset caused. It wasn’t my intent to come on this thread and upset people. I will openly admit that people like myself that will go as far as wanting a particular model part, a particular speed of DRAM and latency etc, I have gone way too far in reading the needs of the members posting here. My experience with laptops on a general scale is very limited. My personal needs always exceed budget wise beyond what I could build myself with desktop parts, so really I have no place commenting, and especially as I have no doubt you obviously know what you are talking about 👍 I will refrain from poking my nose in unless something I can actually help with.

Tbh, I am more annoyed with myself by making myself look like an amateur with tech, and especially coming across as one of those Google or Wiki experts. Anyway on a positive note for me, really enjoying this game 😊 My laptop running very well and stable which I particularly pleased about. Nothing more annoying when you have those thoughts “why didn’t they set that up right” kind of thing.

Keep up the good work Smurf 👍

You have aboslutely no need to apologise at all - you have great knowledge and it's fantastic to have someone like you who knows what they are talking about - it's a relieve to "have some help" as a lot of the time I feel like I am doing this by myself. 

But with great knowledge from yourself and @Welshace we are making a difference to people's gaming experience with FM.

You should keep up the good work - stick your nose in if you have to - but I always try to think along the lines as the people in the thread don't know the difference between memory and a hard drive, nor what CPU is vs a GPU. 

I never said you cannot use a U processor. It's when people come with a budget of £800 and point to a direction of a laptop that has U processor - I just point them to a laptop that's £800 with i7-7700HQ processor instead, with matching specs in the other areas. I'd rather give them a rock solid processor.

Granted when i8's become more mainstream and tested for FM I can then point in that direction.

As that would be the better alternative and better for their money and budget.

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

You have aboslutely no need to apologise at all - you have great knowledge and it's fantastic to have someone like you who knows what they are talking about - it's a relieve to "have some help" as a lot of the time I feel like I am doing this by myself. 

But with great knowledge from yourself and @Welshace we are making a difference to people's gaming experience with FM.

You should keep up the good work - stick your nose in if you have to - but I always try to think along the lines as the people in the thread don't know the difference between memory and a hard drive, nor what CPU is vs a GPU. 

I never said you cannot use a U processor. It's when people come with a budget of £800 and point to a direction of a laptop that has U processor - I just point them to a laptop that's £800 with i7-7700HQ processor instead, with matching specs in the other areas. I'd rather give them a rock solid processor.

Granted when i8's become more mainstream and tested for FM I can then point in that direction.

As that would be the better alternative and better for their money and budget.

Yes I shall certainly be more objective on how I look at the posts and not automatically assume that everybody is computer tech mad as it were, they want to play FM as soon as possible on something that suits there needs for that.

13 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Right - can't decide myself.

I have a budget of approx €1500

Must ship to Ireland and prefereably deal in Euro.

Let me know what you can all find! 

Thanks!

15 inch

https://www.komplett.ie/hp-omen-15-ce062nd/80048803/product/9474

17 inch

https://www.komplett.ie/asus-rog-strix-gl703vd-gc083t/20869185/product/9474

15 inch

https://www.komplett.ie/acer-aspire-a715-71g-70fk/80047913/product/9474

I'm tempted towards the Omen.. - any thoughts?

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Right - can't decide myself.

I have a budget of approx €1500

Must ship to Ireland and prefereably deal in Euro.

Let me know what you can all find! 

Thanks!

Dell XPS15 4k. Just bought one for my photography work (the equivalent MacBook Pro is £1000 more and has no SD card reader anymore). Did a fresh install of win10 to get rid off the bloat and it absolutely sings along, smashing Photoshop and lightroom and Fm2018 too.

30 minutes ago, Ashtennisguru said:

Dell XPS15 4k. Just bought one for my photography work (the equivalent MacBook Pro is £1000 more and has no SD card reader anymore). Did a fresh install of win10 to get rid off the bloat and it absolutely sings along, smashing Photoshop and lightroom and Fm2018 too.

Cool where did you buy?

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Yeah, had a few different models from Medion through ... 

Performance wise, they have great specs of course, but frankly, they run a little too hot for my liking, the cooling solutions in their cases are poor and you will feel it with even light gaming in the keyboard and in the fans.

Build quality is decent on them these days, much less plasticy than they used to be, although their is still a bit of spring on their keyboard which i don't like.

End user support from Medion is also useless, utterly useless..

Other than that I can't comment much, I'd much rather stay with a better brand in this case.

That said, it might be worth it depending on your needs.. i.e will you likely need support from the manufacturer, will you mind a little fan noise etc.

54 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Cool where did you buy?

Dell website, is on sale so reduced from £1700 to £1490 ish.

I've been a MacBook pro user since 2002, but just couldn't justify an extra £1000 to have Mac OS plus all new peripherals as the MBP only has usb-c.

Having turned the XPS into a "signature edition" laptop and turned off all the annoying "suggestions" and adverts, I could get used to win 10, especially as with the latest update it is starting to look quite good and function well (famous last words!)

18 hours ago, Smurf said:

Yeh had a median years ago and it was flimsy plastic. Looks like nothing has changed.

I'll ponder the weekend.

Yes agree. One of my friends has one, not used now though. It felt like a Tupperware box to me. Did what it needed to do for his needs, but went with him to buy a new one. That was around two years ago.

23 hours ago, Smurf said:

I would go for the Omen over those two 15 machines. They also had some decent discounts on the HP direct site across their entire range. I seriously considered one. I looked after seeing some reviews as well and they are recommended for a few reasons, not just for gaming. Also like some offering less memory on the graphics, but a more beefier CPU, they have a good balance on components. Decent sized SSD’s as well from what I remember. I would say go for it. The ASUS IMHO is geared towards those that will be playing COD etc at insane FPS requirements. I think the HP would be a better choice for you’re FM gaming. Just my take.

@Smurf

Hey! Just seen your posts, I actually had a Omen 15, 16 gb 256 ssd for a month or so and i can tell u it’s a very good machine and handled FM17 so easily it was blistering fast 

Pros:  Great performance, Face/Eye ID login very effiecent 

Cons(for me): Colour/Accents thought I could live with but I hated it, battery life(?) 

Main reason i returned it is I had some PWM flickering issues which I tried to troubleshoot to no avail but it could have just been my lappy.

One more thing before i bought it it was mentioned to get the 120hz version as the other screens were poor compared to the 120hz one.

Hope this helps!

1 hour ago, GM1903 said:

@Smurf

Hey! Just seen your posts, I actually had a Omen 15, 16 gb 256 ssd for a month or so and i can tell u it’s a very good machine and handled FM17 so easily it was blistering fast 

Pros:  Great performance, Face/Eye ID login very effiecent 

Cons(for me): Colour/Accents thought I could live with but I hated it, battery life(?) 

Main reason i returned it is I had some PWM flickering issues which I tried to troubleshoot to no avail but it could have just been my lappy.

One more thing before i bought it it was mentioned to get the 120hz version as the other screens were poor compared to the 120hz one.

Hope this helps!

So maybe using a cheaper TN screen. Admittedly the screen issue was a big factor for me colours and viewing angles. Why I went with a IPS type one @60Hrz. (although I do have a dual 60/144 switch in the nVidia control panel) The 120 - 144 range is all well and good, but these are generally geared towards the online gamer needing critical response. Allegedly the higher refresh rates work better.

From what I read the battery life was considered to be quite good, was that wrong?

@Transk53

I thought it was better than the Asus rog gl501 which I had for about 2 weeks( yeah i haven’t been having the best of lucks with my products!) 

I only included a ? to the battery life coz I have seen other people saying it was average but for me i thought it was fine and i always had it plugged in and ready to charge as i do with any laptop

43 minutes ago, GM1903 said:

@Transk53

I thought it was better than the Asus rog gl501 which I had for about 2 weeks( yeah i haven’t been having the best of lucks with my products!) 

I only included a ? to the battery life coz I have seen other people saying it was average but for me i thought it was fine and i always had it plugged in and ready to charge as i do with any laptop

Me neither in the past. Had a gaming lappy in the past that I ultimately had no end of issues with later on, especially the battery pack. Went to not holding its charge way before it should have done. I guess with ASUS being a leading company with the motherboards and graphics etc, you kind of assume that the lappy's are also going to be top notch out of the box too. Surprised you had issues. Hope you are getting on with you're current one.

Hi guys,

Currently looking for a new laptop for Football Manager 2018 and have a budget of maximum £550.  Currently got it down to a choice of three but looking for opinions on which is best for the game.  Laptop will be not used for any other games outside FM:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GSYEK.004-Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51-50Y5_2268899.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/96MNJ-Dell-Inspiron-15-5570_2202988.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GS3EK.001-Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51G-574F_2156515.html

Other options for max £550 are appreciated as well if none of the above suit!

Hi. I was considering buying this PC and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to take a look and give some advice on how it would play FM?

Also although we have no idea of future specs of the game would it be likely to run at least the next few versions of the game to a decent level?

https://www.ebuyer.com/826461-punch-technology-i7-1050ti-gaming-pc-gdt-705-1022

Thanks for your time!

1 hour ago, MrMarx said:

Hi guys,

Currently looking for a new laptop for Football Manager 2018 and have a budget of maximum £550.  Currently got it down to a choice of three but looking for opinions on which is best for the game.  Laptop will be not used for any other games outside FM:

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GSYEK.004-Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51-50Y5_2268899.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/96MNJ-Dell-Inspiron-15-5570_2202988.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GS3EK.001-Acer-Aspire-5-A515-51G-574F_2156515.html

Other options for max £550 are appreciated as well if none of the above suit!

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/N24T6-Dell-Inspiron-15-5000_2305656.html

or :

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

18 minutes ago, JonWHUFC06 said:

Hi. I was considering buying this PC and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to take a look and give some advice on how it would play FM?

Also although we have no idea of future specs of the game would it be likely to run at least the next few versions of the game to a decent level?

https://www.ebuyer.com/826461-punch-technology-i7-1050ti-gaming-pc-gdt-705-1022

Thanks for your time!

Yes that will play the game for several versions pretty damn well with a decent sized DB etc,..

That said... any reason why you are going with ebuyer?

something like this was knocked up in a minute:

Case
PCS CYCLONE GAMING CASE (Blue LED Fans)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8600 (3.1GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® H310M-A: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP
1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 350MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
INTEL STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 5 working days
Quantity

Price £760.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations//Rzh!VHjCgZ/

Hi - I'm after a new all-round laptop that I won't use much for gaming, but that I do want to run FM18 fairly smoothly. Does anyone know if this would do the job?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-i7-7500U-Screen-Windows-Laptop/dp/B076ZP18X9/ref=sr_1_1

My main concern is the Integrated HD Graphics 620; I can't work out from the minimum game specs if that's going to do the job. I don't really care about the quality of 3D games or anything like that - the speed of the game overall is a bigger thing for me. I like PC Specialist but they seem a bit dear/overkill for this.

Thanks inadvance for any help.

11 hours ago, Welshace said:

Yes that will play the game for several versions pretty damn well with a decent sized DB etc,..

That said... any reason why you are going with ebuyer?

something like this was knocked up in a minute:

Case
PCS CYCLONE GAMING CASE (Blue LED Fans)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-8600 (3.1GHz) 9MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® H310M-A: Micro-ATX, DDR4, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti - DVI, HDMI, DP
1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON UV400 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (550MB/R, 350MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 32MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
INTEL STANDARD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
BullGuard™ Internet Security - Free 90 Day License inc. Gamer Mode
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 3 to 5 working days
Quantity

Price £760.00 including VAT and delivery

Unique URL to re-configure : https://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/saved-configurations//Rzh!VHjCgZ/

Thanks for the reply! 

No real reason why I picked ebuyer other than the PC was already constructed. I'm always a little confused how well different components of a PC rate against each other which is why I have stayed clear from designing one myself but I will definetely check out your recommendation!

4 hours ago, nemanja123 said:

Which minimal specs i had to have that the game would be playable?

Unless something has changed since publication, these are the minimum specs.

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4, Intel Core or AMD Athlon
  • CPU SPEED: 2.2 GHz +
  • RAM: 2 GB
  • OS: Windows Vista (SP2), 7 (SP1), 8/8.1, 10 (1703/Creators Update) - 64-bit or 32-bit
  • VIDEO CARD: Intel GMA X4500, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT or AMD/ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 – 256MB VRAM
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 7 GB

My situation is as follows: I got a pc at home which can fluently run FM2018. 

At my girlfriends I don't have a PC, only her 5 year old laptop which can not run FM 2018 but has windows 8.

Now I am searching for the latest football manager version I could run fluently. What is the earliest version of FM supporting Windows 8 ?

My specs are more or less the following:

4GB DDR3 RAM

i5-4200u

Intel HD Graphics

Win 8

Thanks ! 

On 26/05/2018 at 13:37, Transk53 said:

I would go for the Omen over those two 15 machines. They also had some decent discounts on the HP direct site across their entire range. I seriously considered one. I looked after seeing some reviews as well and they are recommended for a few reasons, not just for gaming. Also like some offering less memory on the graphics, but a more beefier CPU, they have a good balance on components. Decent sized SSD’s as well from what I remember. I would say go for it. The ASUS IMHO is geared towards those that will be playing COD etc at insane FPS requirements. I think the HP would be a better choice for you’re FM gaming. Just my take.

I had a look at an omen in the store and hated the keyboard. 

While I was there they had great options - but none in stock. 

I ended up getting a 15.6 inch Dell

I7-7700HQ, 128 GB SSD, 1TB Secondary

8gb RAM

and 1050TI 4gb

It had a nicer keyboard than the Omen

I will upgrade the SSD and the RAM over time and that's pretty much it.

Should be a beast for FM - had major trouble getting Steam Guard to work on the new computer - but got it working last night.

All in all very happy with it.

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I had a look at an omen in the store and hated the keyboard. 

While I was there they had great options - but none in stock. 

I ended up getting a 15.6 inch Dell

I7-7700HQ, 128 GB SSD, 1TB Secondary

8gb RAM

and 1050TI 4gb

It had a nicer keyboard than the Omen

I will upgrade the SSD and the RAM over time and that's pretty much it.

Should be a beast for FM - had major trouble getting Steam Guard to work on the new computer - but got it working last night.

All in all very happy with it.

Excellent news. Hope it all goes well 👍 Can be a right pain choosing the right one. So many choices these days to weigh up. Just out of interest, did you get a windows installation disc with it?

Didn’t have an issue with Steam Guard thankfully, I figured maybe because I managed to pop in the username and password first time. 

I have had to tweak some things with mine, but apart from that worked straight out of the box. Had install a couple of things that I think should have done by the technicians, but no biggie. They may have been a bit rushed, but overall a very good job. Mind you the keyboard leds that can be multi coloured each are a bit annoying 😂

1 hour ago, Transk53 said:

Excellent news. Hope it all goes well 👍 Can be a right pain choosing the right one. So many choices these days to weigh up. Just out of interest, did you get a windows installation disc with it?

Didn’t have an issue with Steam Guard thankfully, I figured maybe because I managed to pop in the username and password first time. 

I have had to tweak some things with mine, but apart from that worked straight out of the box. Had install a couple of things that I think should have done by the technicians, but no biggie. They may have been a bit rushed, but overall a very good job. Mind you the keyboard leds that can be multi coloured each are a bit annoying 😂

Yeh should go well. Had a bit of uninstalling to do out of the box. But I couldn't wait for an online delivery, unfortunately, the screen on the other laptop wouldn't turn on anymore and I needed an immediate replacement as I also use it for work. Time was factor and played a huge part in going store to store. I will probably replace the screen and cables on the other laptop eventually, just had no time this weekend. 

Had my eye on an MSI with similar specs, had a 1060 in it, and 16gb RAM - but they had none in stock and couldn't get it in for a few weeks. 

All in all, I liked the Dell, the keyboard is spacious, full with numberpad, has a nice soft touch to the case etc. And it's backlit. As sometimes playing FM it gets dark outside and I haven't noticed... so a backlit keyboard means I won't have to get up to put on the light anymore. 

Overall, extremely happy. 

@Transk53 Indeed i paid £1,500 for it and the box arrived looking like it has clearly been opened before and the battery pack was all battered scratched and a bit dusty too, the screen had issues and it was quite clear it had been returned.  Never again am I using HIDevolution  I almost bought a laptop but other issues arose and I put it off but I'm kind of glad I did because I got offered a job which requires a laptop to work on so need one that looks normal/professional. I might just get a Dell XPS or a white G7

21 hours ago, NixoN1994 said:

My situation is as follows: I got a pc at home which can fluently run FM2018. 

At my girlfriends I don't have a PC, only her 5 year old laptop which can not run FM 2018 but has windows 8.

Now I am searching for the latest football manager version I could run fluently. What is the earliest version of FM supporting Windows 8 ?

My specs are more or less the following:

4GB DDR3 RAM

i5-4200u

Intel HD Graphics

Win 8

Thanks ! 

Windows 8 was released in October 2012, so presumably that would be FM 2011. I would have ran mine on Vista, so not sure when native support started for Windows 8. Sure if you ask this in the technical forum, or maybe @Smurf @Welshace will able to confirm for you. 

1 hour ago, GM1903 said:

@Transk53 Indeed i paid £1,500 for it and the box arrived looking like it has clearly been opened before and the battery pack was all battered scratched and a bit dusty too, the screen had issues and it was quite clear it had been returned.  Never again am I using HIDevolution  I almost bought a laptop but other issues arose and I put it off but I'm kind of glad I did because I got offered a job which requires a laptop to work on so need one that looks normal/professional. I might just get a Dell XPS or a white G7

Sadly in my experience not a uncommon thing to happen. Dell direct may be a good route for you to go. Would also think that the Lenovo machines are worth a peruse as well. Professional looking as well and quite competitive in price.

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

Yeh should go well. Had a bit of uninstalling to do out of the box. But I couldn't wait for an online delivery, unfortunately, the screen on the other laptop wouldn't turn on anymore and I needed an immediate replacement as I also use it for work. Time was factor and played a huge part in going store to store. I will probably replace the screen and cables on the other laptop eventually, just had no time this weekend. 

Had my eye on an MSI with similar specs, had a 1060 in it, and 16gb RAM - but they had none in stock and couldn't get it in for a few weeks. 

All in all, I liked the Dell, the keyboard is spacious, full with numberpad, has a nice soft touch to the case etc. And it's backlit. As sometimes playing FM it gets dark outside and I haven't noticed... so a backlit keyboard means I won't have to get up to put on the light anymore. 

Overall, extremely happy. 

Cool. Nice to hear you are chuffed with it. Overall I am with mine as well. Yes if I had been in Bolton where Scan is based would have gone to the store. Happy gaming with FM Smurf 😊

3 hours ago, Transk53 said:

Windows 8 was released in October 2012, so presumably that would be FM 2011. I would have ran mine on Vista, so not sure when native support started for Windows 8. Sure if you ask this in the technical forum, or maybe @Smurf @Welshace will able to confirm for you. 

I've had fm09 work with windows 8, although I remember a few people posting on here back then about having issues...

Tbh, the fact some had issues and others did tells me it's probably down to a lack of certain libraries not native in win 8  like net frameworks or even just a graphics driver issue...

Either way, most windows 8 compatibility issues are usually easily solvable.

15 hours ago, GM1903 said:

@Smurf

Out of interest what’s the model of your dell and the RPM? Model of the MSI? Enjoy your new laptop!

I think it was very close to this one

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-7577-15-6-intel-core-i7-gtx-1050-ti-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10174166-pdt.html

Only the one I got had 8gb ram

15 hours ago, Welshace said:

I've had fm09 work with windows 8, although I remember a few people posting on here back then about having issues...

Tbh, the fact some had issues and others did tells me it's probably down to a lack of certain libraries not native in win 8  like net frameworks or even just a graphics driver issue...

Either way, most windows 8 compatibility issues are usually easily solvable.

Figured there would be some issues. Both release dates were pretty close.

Hi, my old laptop is on its last legs and plan on buying a new one. I am thinking about the HP 15 BW068SA which has AMD A6-9220 APU processor (2.5 GHz base frequency, up to 2.9 GHz burst frequency, 1 MB cache) , 4gb RAM and AMD Radeon R4 graphics card. Would this be enough to run the game? Also the new laptop would not have a disc drive so would I be able to download steam and install the game from their without the disc?

Thanks

Am in the market for a new laptop, mainly to use for playing FM. I've got vouchers for currys/pc world so want to only really buy from them direct. Have read through some of this thread and done some basic research, but could do with a bit of guidance between two laptops that are both in my budget, and both seem good for FM. Which would you go for?

I would like to just run the main leagues across Europe (England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy) and a medium-large database.

I like the look of the lenovo one and reviews say it's light and fast. But i've only ever really had Dell laptops so feel nervous about moving away from them!

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-mineral-grey-10164497-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-5000-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050m-gaming-laptop-256-gb-ssd-10164852-pdt.html

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks.

20 hours ago, Kyle1606 said:

Would this be any good at running the game? Has Intel Core i5-7200U 2.5GHz processor, 8gb ram and intel HD graphics 620. 

As I said I am not interested in the 3D match engine. Just want to make sure this Would run the game well enough Or is this below spec?

https://www.ebuyer.com/819665-asus-vivobook-15-x540ua-laptop-x540ua-gq024t

It's a bit below spec 

Could you stretch?https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

On 29/05/2018 at 14:12, Kyle1606 said:

Hi, my old laptop is on its last legs and plan on buying a new one. I am thinking about the HP 15 BW068SA which has AMD A6-9220 APU processor (2.5 GHz base frequency, up to 2.9 GHz burst frequency, 1 MB cache) , 4gb RAM and AMD Radeon R4 graphics card. Would this be enough to run the game? Also the new laptop would not have a disc drive so would I be able to download steam and install the game from their without the disc?

Thanks

No - I wouldn't recommend - what's your budget (see link above for recommendation)

On 29/05/2018 at 22:03, gazza8 said:

Long time member but with family etc im just getting sime time back to play FM.  Its really all il use laptop for

http://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/laptops-notebooks-and-2-in-1-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop/cn57702

Can anyone tell me how quick this will run game? How many leagues players etc

Many thanks

I bought the exact same one the other day - it's fantastic. It's thin, light etc.  

Although haven't loaded FM18 up on it yet. Loaded FM12 (my fav) and on my previous laptop was only getting about 7 leauges loaded (with 5 playable) with a medium database. But this one I loaded 20 playable leagues with a large database and it's flying.

But so far so good.

21 hours ago, danny_b1989 said:

Am in the market for a new laptop, mainly to use for playing FM. I've got vouchers for currys/pc world so want to only really buy from them direct. Have read through some of this thread and done some basic research, but could do with a bit of guidance between two laptops that are both in my budget, and both seem good for FM. Which would you go for?

I would like to just run the main leagues across Europe (England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy) and a medium-large database.

I like the look of the lenovo one and reviews say it's light and fast. But i've only ever really had Dell laptops so feel nervous about moving away from them!

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-320s-14ikb-14-laptop-mineral-grey-10164497-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-5000-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1050m-gaming-laptop-256-gb-ssd-10164852-pdt.html

Any help would be much appreciated - thanks.

Defo the 2nd one by a landslide. 

What's your budget though - is that your top end?

@Smurf, could you please help me build a desktop PC that would be decent enough for FM? Budget is around €500 / £437.

Would either of these be okay?

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gq8TwP/entry-level-intel-gaming-build

or

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/X3nTwP/entry-level-amd-gaming-build

They're definitely better than what I have now, but I'm wondering if I could replace any of the parts for a better processor maybe?

@Smurf On a thong type budget the Piledriver FX’s maybe worth a look. Can get them under a hundred, and a four core for like 50 quid on EBay. Maybe just as good for FM than a Ryzen. I would probably look at some value DRAM as well, won’t be as efficient as higer graded stuff, but may save a good 30 to 40 quid shopping around. Just a thought .

Archived