Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

Hiya fellas,

Had a quick read over the thread and came across this https://ao.com/product/z9e10eaabu-hp-laptop-silver-52559-251.aspx.

Completely and utterly clueless when it comes to what laptop to get. Only really going to be playing FM and getting the odd bits from work done at home.

Do you reckon it'll be good enough to run quite a few leagues? Not arsed about 3D engine.

Cheers,

22 hours ago, liamhindley97 said:

Hiya fellas,

Had a quick read over the thread and came across this https://ao.com/product/z9e10eaabu-hp-laptop-silver-52559-251.aspx.

Completely and utterly clueless when it comes to what laptop to get. Only really going to be playing FM and getting the odd bits from work done at home.

Do you reckon it'll be good enough to run quite a few leagues? Not arsed about 3D engine.

Cheers,

Yeah that’ll be pretty much perfect 

It's not coming up for me, all it says is that it's i7 processor which means nothing without the model no.

31 minutes ago, Smurf said:

It's not coming up for me, all it says is that it's i7 processor which means nothing without the model no.

Operating system  Windows 10 Home 64 
Memory, standard  16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB) 
Standard memory note  Transfer rates up to 2400 MT/s 
Memory and storage  16 GB memory
1 TB HDD storage
128 GB SSD storage 
Optical drive  SuperMulti DVD burner 
Cloud service  Dropbox 
Storage type  HDD
SSD 
Hard drive description  1 TB 7200 rpm SATA 
Hard drive (2nd)  128 GB M.2 SSD 
Chipset  Intel® HM175 
Processor speed  2.8 GHz 
Processor family  7th Generation Intel® Core i7 processor 
Processor  Intel® Core i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores) 

Not too sure why it's not showing up on ao.com it is on mine. Just copied and pasted it over to here if that's anymore help?

Looks good so.

After a bit of advice..

I've got anywhere from about £500 down to spend on a new laptop. Will only play FM and maybe one or two other games if any take my fancy. That new point hospital maybe. And then just general use like internet/office.

Any recommendations?

I had a Lenovo Z50 before and that did the job for me -  I wonder if there's a slightly newer model of that maybe?

Hi all, looking for a laptop than can handle FM well without any issues whilst playing with quite a few leagues. Im clueless when it comes to specs etc, just want something that will run FM like a beauty - it'll be mainly used for this and casual browsing.

I understand I'm looking at about 600 plus, so my budget would be 700 max. Any suggetions?

7 minutes ago, SP93 said:

Hi all, looking for a laptop than can handle FM well without any issues whilst playing with quite a few leagues. Im clueless when it comes to specs etc, just want something that will run FM like a beauty - it'll be mainly used for this and casual browsing.

I understand I'm looking at about 600 plus, so my budget would be 700 max. Any suggetions?

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-1868-MSI-GL62M-7RDX-1868UK_2271328.html

Would be right about what you're looking for price wise.

Hey Guys

I'm looking for a new laptop for around £500-£700

Can you tell/show me if there are any good ones out there for this price range?

Looking to play about 7/8 leagues at a good speed and graphics, also will need a dvd burner and plenty of storage as

I will need to use it for college work as well.

Thanks Guys

11 hours ago, Tristan Riley said:

Hey Guys

I'm looking for a new laptop for around £500-£700

Can you tell/show me if there are any good ones out there for this price range?

Looking to play about 7/8 leagues at a good speed and graphics, also will need a dvd burner and plenty of storage as

I will need to use it for college work as well.

Thanks Guys

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-1868-MSI-GL62M-7RDX-1868UK_2271328.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

Difference is £100 - if you have the 100 the spend it, if not then the cheaper one is fine too :)

51 minutes ago, HemHat said:

Good for email/traveling general usage/surfing web etc.

Not much else and certainly not FM.

For your budget you won't get anything suitable for FM.

I'm not saying it won't work - but you'd have to have max of something like 3 leagues loaded with a small database (at a guess).

thanks for the reply. It's better than the laptop I used to have and that had no problems with large databases and multiple leagues loaded. What makes you think it will be no good for FM?

I'm not massively keen on the fact it has no disk drive so might look for something else like 

https://www.ebuyer.com/800868-lenovo-v110-laptop-80th0013uk

ok, think I've narrowed it down a bit more

https://www.ebuyer.com/825568-lenovo-ideapad-510-15-laptop-chalk-white-80sr008ruk

https://www.ebuyer.com/825566-lenovo-ideapad-110-15-laptop-black-80ud006duk

Edited by HemHat
update

Appreciate your help and feedback from this.

I think I'm missing something on the minimum spec for FM18..

I like the Lenovo 510 which has Intel Core i7, dual core. 8gb ram plus potential expansion, 1tb hard drive and NVIDA GeForce 940mx graphics card. 

FM minimum is intel4, 2 gb ram and a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

It seems to me like it would meet the requirements and game-debate agrees. No trying to have a pop or anything, just curious why you think it doesn't meet the specs

image.thumb.png.0db4833b5f0d5f121538196eed08aa61.png

Yeh the specs are great if you have nothing else installed on your computer.

Windows 64 bit requires a minimum of 2gb RAM
Football Manager requires minimum 2gb RAM

If you have 4gb RAM then nothing else can use the RAM in your computer, which only means that

Windows (2gb)
FM (2gb)
Steam (required for FM) (which incidentally requires 512mb (or 0.5gb) RAM)
AntiVirus (512mb (or 0.5gb))
Internet Browser (Firefox 64bit requires 2gb
Background Tasks (required for operation of computer - possibly 1gb RAM)

And that's only a few main applications you will be running which totals = 8gb RAM

all have to split up the 4gb RAM between them

That's why a 64 BIT operating system requiers 8gb RAM.

Don't pay any attention to Game Debate - it's not accurate and doesn't take into account how processor intensive and how RAM intensive that FM can be. And doesn't take into account the other applications running in the background. 

I don't even know why you're arguing with me on this - you came here for help - and I'm helping you - but you're fighting everything that's said to you.

Edited by Smurf

And it's not that all request RAM at the same time - but there are plenty of other applications that require the RAM, and if FM and Windows both require 2gb each - then 4gb won't cut it. 

Sorry - went off on a tangent there.

The lenovo has  U processor - and these are designed to run at a lower speed. Only reaching higher speeds for some tasks.

They all have dual core with hyperthreading - which is great but when a processor is hyperthreading it's splitting the core into 2 so it can perform multiple tasks.

Where it may have a base speed of 2.5ghz - it will utilise the hyperthreading to make the core into 2 - which slows down the processing speed somewhat.

For most games the i7-6500U or similar would be perfect as most games (like graphical games) are not pushing hte processor, they push the graphics end more. 

FM is a Processor intensive game - and the U processors are just not designed to work well with heavy processing. 

Look here for an example - it's ranked in the 200's 

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

I'm not saying you have to get the top end processor - but you should be aiming at least in the top 150 

And not a U processor as they are not designed for the task. Stick with a HQ and you will be much better off.

@Smurf, I'm not meaning to 'fight' you on it, apologies if it's coming across that way. I'm just trying to get a clear understanding of what I need.

The Lenovo has 8gb RAM so should be fine from that end. 

Thanks for the advice re the processor, I didn't know that so I will keep looking. 

Hi all, long time player but first post on here. I've been out of fm for quite a few years (since 14 i think) and i've been looking at getting a laptop just for the sole purpose of playing fm18. I do all my other general gaming on consoles.

I dont have a huge budget (possibly upto £400) but i will also add i never play the game with lots of leagues etc. I generally use english prem with championship and leagues 1 &2.

I've really no idea what to go for. I will have a look on saveonlaptops and post some ideas for feedback.

Cheers

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X556UB-DM262T(C)-GRADE-A---ASUS-X556UB-DM262T_2277737.html

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/laptops/products/refurbished-lenovo-ideapad-700-15isk-i7-6700hq-256gb-ssd-15-6-1920x1080-8gb-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950m-2gb-windows-10-80ru00p6mh

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80XS0097UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-320_2275331.html

http://m.dell.com/h5/m/uk/SecondaryInventorySearch?p=%2FOnline%2FSecondaryInventorySearch.aspx%3Fc%3Duk%26cs%3Dukdfh1%26l%3Den%26s%3Ddfh%26sign%3DPXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdY5EumEsBXGKWg%2fdAgRpRzhV%2fmpbsLbJJUBXI3YGROh%2bleUulPNNFkKW7Qrzrb8fHh%2f4hIeElHRJkFcZci1fR0AqLKwiSu9wrA29qD7LI924AB5YiCaUQ5ARfWnKOfXjR6jhPc2wzvdEv6MbGpDrFQZ8B8e4NFiL70OIGn5Wx4wcfS7JYi92tw7i%2beIr4VxDNiGyiaRIkgQrYkpolOdoOY%2bOOASTnL3KIXJUyKYQ6k6X

Edited by addyb

Think this one could be a good possibility. With the currently discount code its around £430

Tech Specs
  • Inspiron 15 - 5570
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-8250U (Quad Core, up to 3.40 GHz, 6MB Cache, 15W)
  • Windows 10 Home (64bit)
  • 8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
  • 256 GB Solid State Hard Drive
  • 8X DVD+/- RW Drive
  • AMD Radeon 530 4GB
  • Software
  • Dell Wireless 1810 Card (802.11AC Dual-Band Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.1)
  • LCD Back Cover - Platinum Silver (Non Touch)
  • Palmrest Without Finger Print Reader
  • Primary 3-cell 42W/HR Battery
  • 15.6 Inch FHD (1920x1080) Non-Touch Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
  • Internal UK/Irish (QWERTY) Keyboard

The bottom line with the i5-8250U processor is that the base speed is 1.6ghz and it can reach 3.4ghz under ideal conditions.

U processors are designed to run on the lowest speed to preserve as much power, and can on occassion get a higher speed.

FM requires 2.2ghz Processor for FM - and this means the i5-8250U still falls below the minimum spec.

8th generation processor in the U family are a huge leap from the 7th Gen and before. But I still don't think this processor has enough (on paper) to perform for FM.

For other gaming it would perform well, as other games are not processor intensive. For FM though, it's highly driven by the processor. 

You may feel it's a good deal (and it is!) but I still don't think in longevity terms will be good enough for FM18 and beyond. 

What site are you purchasing from?

1 hour ago, addyb said:

Hi all, long time player but first post on here. I've been out of fm for quite a few years (since 14 i think) and i've been looking at getting a laptop just for the sole purpose of playing fm18. I do all my other general gaming on consoles.

I dont have a huge budget (possibly upto £400) but i will also add i never play the game with lots of leagues etc. I generally use english prem with championship and leagues 1 &2.

I've really no idea what to go for. I will have a look on saveonlaptops and post some ideas for feedback.

Cheers

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/X556UB-DM262T(C)-GRADE-A---ASUS-X556UB-DM262T_2277737.html

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/laptops/products/refurbished-lenovo-ideapad-700-15isk-i7-6700hq-256gb-ssd-15-6-1920x1080-8gb-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950m-2gb-windows-10-80ru00p6mh

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80XS0097UK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-320_2275331.html

http://m.dell.com/h5/m/uk/SecondaryInventorySearch?p=%2FOnline%2FSecondaryInventorySearch.aspx%3Fc%3Duk%26cs%3Dukdfh1%26l%3Den%26s%3Ddfh%26sign%3DPXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UdY5EumEsBXGKWg%2fdAgRpRzhV%2fmpbsLbJJUBXI3YGROh%2bleUulPNNFkKW7Qrzrb8fHh%2f4hIeElHRJkFcZci1fR0AqLKwiSu9wrA29qD7LI924AB5YiCaUQ5ARfWnKOfXjR6jhPc2wzvdEv6MbGpDrFQZ8B8e4NFiL70OIGn5Wx4wcfS7JYi92tw7i%2beIr4VxDNiGyiaRIkgQrYkpolOdoOY%2bOOASTnL3KIXJUyKYQ6k6X

Out of them (last one doesn't show up) I'd go for this one

7 minutes ago, Smurf said:

The bottom line with the i5-8250U processor is that the base speed is 1.6ghz and it can reach 3.4ghz under ideal conditions.

U processors are designed to run on the lowest speed to preserve as much power, and can on occassion get a higher speed.

FM requires 2.2ghz Processor for FM - and this means the i5-8250U still falls below the minimum spec.

8th generation processor in the U family are a huge leap from the 7th Gen and before. But I still don't think this processor has enough (on paper) to perform for FM.

For other gaming it would perform well, as other games are not processor intensive. For FM though, it's highly driven by the processor. 

You may feel it's a good deal (and it is!) but I still don't think in longevity terms will be good enough for FM18 and beyond. 

What site are you purchasing from?

I was looking at the dell outlet. Thanks for the reply. I wasnt aware of that requirement for the cpu. I've run fm fine in the past with weaker speeds but of course the game requirements werent as high. I will see what else is on the outlet.

This one is a better spec on the outlet which would set me back around £445

Inspiron 15 - 3567
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7500U (2 Core, up to 3.5 GHz,4MB Cache,15W)
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC
256GB 2.5 inch SATA Class 20 Solid State Drive
8X DVD+/- RW Drive
2GB AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
Software
Dell Wireless 1810 Card (802.11AC Dual-Band Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.1)
LCD Back Cover for Non-Touch Screen - Black
40 WHr, 4-Cell Battery (removable)
15.6 Inch FHD (1920x1080) Non-Touch Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display
Internal Qwerty Keyboard

Same thing isn't it with the U processor...

It's 7th generation - and the base speed is basically halved (don't want to confuse things) when hyperthreading which would happen a lot when heavy processing is involved in FM. 

Sorry for the confusion. 

U processors are designed to run at the lowest speed, and typically don't operate at the full power all the time.

Copy and pasted from another site as I have to go:

Hyperthreading works by duplicating some parts of a CPU core (The registers and a few other components), but other components, such as the scheduler and ALUs are shared. As a result, while you gain a maximum double throughput in some workloads, if two threads need the same resources at the same time, one thread needs to wait until the other finishes.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2762912/hyper-threading-cut-cpu-cores-clock-speed-half.html

Cheers for the info. I'm officially confused. Maybe I should just get FM touch for my galaxy tab 2. Or maybe get that one from XS only that I linked earlier. If anyone can chime in with a decent refurb for upto £500 that will do the job I'd much appreciate it.

In terms of that i7 cpu would it effect performance really bad if I only had a few leagues and didn't bother with 3d engine. The only reason I ask is that in past iterations I've run the game on lower spec machines and the game played fine, albeit a bit slow going from day to day processing.

Yes it is confusing.

U Processors are designed to be slow to preserve battery, they're for laptops that are light and mobile. And for basic tasks, like MS Office, and Internet Browsing, Music Playing, Watching Videos. 

And they are fine for playing graphically driven games - where a suitable graphics card is in place. 

But FM is a processor intensive game - and it requires a good processor.

For what you're describing, and you're happy with slow progression day to day - then I think you would be fine with the one posted above (copied below).

£430 is a lot to spend on a computer and I would hate to see anyone buy something unsuitable. But what you describe is ok for what you want to do. 

However, if you spend £600 you get a better machine - and longevity.

It's up to you.

Think this one could be a good possibility. With the currently discount code its around £430

Tech Specs
  • Inspiron 15 - 5570
  • 8X DVD+/- RW Drive
  • AMD Radeon 530 4GB
  • Software

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

Yes it is confusing.

U Processors are designed to be slow to preserve battery, they're for laptops that are light and mobile. And for basic tasks, like MS Office, and Internet Browsing, Music Playing, Watching Videos. 

And they are fine for playing graphically driven games - where a suitable graphics card is in place. 

But FM is a processor intensive game - and it requires a good processor.

For what you're describing, and you're happy with slow progression day to day - then I think you would be fine with the one posted above (copied below).

£430 is a lot to spend on a computer and I would hate to see anyone buy something unsuitable. But what you describe is ok for what you want to do. 

However, if you spend £600 you get a better machine - and longevity.

It's up to you.

Tech Specs
  • Inspiron 15 - 5570
  • 8X DVD+/- RW Drive
  • AMD Radeon 530 4GB
  • Software

I'll probably up my budget to £600 ish and get one on finance as I've currently just paid off some other stuff. Will take another look. Thanks for the info mate.

Can anyone recommend me a good PC for around £1000 ? Give or take an extra £200. Even a prebuilt one would be ideal.

I saw this one on Chillblast, I like to load up loads of leagues and players though so I wasn't sure if this would be suitable for doing so.

Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 2.8 - 4.0GHz
Case: Chillblast F3 Gaming Case - Black / Purple
CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: Standard Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370M D3H Motherboard
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card
Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory (2 x 4GB Sticks)
Solid State Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 500W PSU
Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Anti Virus Software: Bullguard Internet Security - Free 90 Day Licence
Cable Management: Standard Chillblast Cable Management

Edited by DizzyNewHeights

1 hour ago, DizzyNewHeights said:

Can anyone recommend me a good PC for around £1000 ? Give or take an extra £200. Even a prebuilt one would be ideal.

I saw this one on Chillblast, I like to load up loads of leagues and players though so I wasn't sure if this would be suitable for doing so.

Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 Coffee Lake CPU, 6 Cores, 2.8 - 4.0GHz
Case: Chillblast F3 Gaming Case - Black / Purple
CPU Cooler: Intel Stock CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: Standard Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370M D3H Motherboard
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card
Memory: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz Memory (2 x 4GB Sticks)
Solid State Drive: 250GB SK hynix SL301 Solid State Drive
Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Hard Disk
Power Supply: Aerocool 80 PLUS 500W PSU
Sound Card: Onboard High Definition Audio
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Anti Virus Software: Bullguard Internet Security - Free 90 Day Licence
Cable Management: Standard Chillblast Cable Management

I'd take a look on pc specialist and scan as well to see how much comparable systems would be. Nothing wrong with chillblast but at times they can be the most expensive.

Looks good - I don't seen anything better for cheaper! :)

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Looks good - I don't seen anything better for cheaper! :)

How many leagues would that laptop cope with at a comfortable level?

1 hour ago, Adamm90 said:

How many leagues would that laptop cope with at a comfortable level?

Depends what you consider comfortable. 

You can run all the leauges and it will run slowly. Or you can run 1 league and it will run quickly.

Find the balance for yourself and what you consider to be acceptable.

Just waiting for a discount code to come through from Dell and then I'll probably be ordering this for £720 delivered.

Inspiron 15 - 7577
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad Core,up to 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache, 45W)
Windows 10 Home (64bit)
16GB (1x16GB) 2400MHz SDRAM DDR4 Non-ECC
1 TB SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)
128 GB Solid State Hard Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 vRAM
15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 

Guys

I'm looking to get a new laptop asap, as I've had enough of my old desktop pc.

I've seen a few I like but can't make my mind up as I'm not High in the tech area.

Also not sure if I want a dvd burner with it or not.

Could you guys recommend 1 with a dvd burner and 1 without and hopefully I will choose one.

(toss a coin if I have to) I have about £700. Would like to run about 8/10 leagues at a pretty good speed with

medium/large database.

TIA

Edited by thnigelfc

1 hour ago, thnigelfc said:

Guys

I'm looking to get a new laptop asap, as I've had enough of my old desktop pc.

I've seen a few I like but can't make my mind up as I'm not High in the tech area.

Also not sure if I want a dvd burner with it or not.

Could you guys recommend 1 with a dvd burner and 1 without and hopefully I will choose one.

(toss a coin if I have to) I have about £700. Would like to run about 8/10 leagues at a pretty good speed with

medium/large database.

TIA

Is there any reason why you'd want a dvd burner in one? Disc drives are getting pretty obsolete these days. You generally have the same budget as me and I was looking at these this week.

This is decent but ideally would prefer it to have an ssd drive.

This one is more like it. It has an ssd but is £50 over budget.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J942-079-MSI-GP62-7RD(Leopard)-079UK_2068374.html

You could go the refurb route which I'm probably doing. Look at the dell outlet store. You basically want an i5/i7 cpu that's a HQ variant. 8GB ram and a dedicated GPU if you want to run the 3D engine on high settings. If that's of no interest than a integrated gpu will be fine.

I've had refurb laptops from XS only before which have been great and really good prices. Check out some of these.

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/laptops/products/refurbished-lenovo-ideapad-700-15isk-i5-6300hq-256gb-ssd-8gb-15-6-1920x1080-geforce-gtx-950m-2gb-windows-10-80ru008pmh

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/laptops/products/refurbished-lenovo-ideapad-700-15isk-i5-6300hq-8gb-256gb-ssd-15-6-1920-1080-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950m-2gb-windows-10-80ru008pmh

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/laptops/products/refurbished-asus-rog-gl552vx-cn239t-i5-6300hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-15-6-1920x1080-gtx-950m-windows-10-90nb0aw1-m02840

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/laptops/products/refurbished-asus-laptop-fx553vd-fy173t-2-5ghz-intel-core-i5-7300hq-15-6-1920-x-1080p-black-notebook

https://www.xsonly.com/collections/laptops/products/refurished-dell-inspiron-15-5577-intel-core-i7-7700hq-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-15-6-fhd-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-4gb-black-windows-10-home

4 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

These were the 2 I was looking at one is the same as you recommended abbyd, was also worried about no ssd

another reason why I wasn't sure

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/A556UQ-DM1469T-ASUS-Vivobook-A556UQ-DM1469T_2255403.html

Go for the HQ processors.

If you need a DVD burner you could buy an external one if not with the laptop

14 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Thanks Guys

I'm leaning towards this one

Does no ssd make a difference?

In my experience not a great deal in actual FM performance but it's extremely beneficial for the system as a whole. The laptop will boot and shutdown within seconds and overall performance will be substantially quicker than a normal mechanical drive.

Edited by addyb

Plus who knows what FM will be like in a few years time. Maybe it could utilise the ssd more. Who knows?