Sports Interactive Community
JordanBlackpoolFC

New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Well my Italian is a little rusty to navigate the Amazon site... in fact the only words I know in Italian is Pasta and Pizza!

Look for a i5 or i7 processor that has a HQ on the end (not a U) not sure if these letters change when in Italian?

8gb RAM - minimum

Make sure it has a dedicated graphics card if you want to play on 3D with high quality. 

Post links of any you may find!

This? https://www.amazon.it/HoMei-i7-7700HQ-Portatile-Bluetooth-Retroilluminata/dp/B06XF6TT8G/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1509729291&sr=1-9

34 minutes ago, Smurf said:

They're both the same spec.

No, the more expensive one has a better screen with g-sync, but can be harder to view at angles. It’s UHD vs FHD

1 hour ago, JBoyd33641 said:

No, the more expensive one has a better screen with g-sync, but can be harder to view at angles. It’s UHD vs FHD

Whatever you prefer. Gsync won't make much difference with FM, I wouldn't imagine. 

Up to you. In terms of FM they will have the same performance. 

Hi looking for a new laptop basically just to play FM 18 on. 

Any recomendations for one around £500-600? 

Have a voucher for Argos as well so if there’s any on there that would be ideal! Cheers 

On 2.11.2017 at 19:40, little_jose said:

hi everyone

first sorry for my poor english.

im attending to buy this laptop : http://www8.hp.com/il/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=18165089

i get on him an amazing deal 750$ after discount in israel (where i live). how it will work?

it will ran 5 nation with data of 40,000 players?

here is the specs: 

14" and light (3lbs~)

I5 8250U

SSD 256GB

8GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

resulotion FHD

after a litlle bit reading 

i upgraded my boudget

i've found this laptop but my biggest worrie is the 3d engine. will the built in graphic card is enough? 

Dell Latitude 5480 

Intel Core i5-7440HQ 2.8Ghz

8GB DDR4 2400MHZ

256GB SSD

14 LED-backlit, Anti-glare

1920x1080 LED

Intel HD Graphics 620

10 hours ago, Chris Hamilton said:

Have a voucher for Argos as well so if there’s any on there that would be ideal! Cheers 

I don't see any on Argos for 600 that would be good enough for FM.

39 minutes ago, little_jose said:

after a litlle bit reading 

i upgraded my boudget

i've found this laptop but my biggest worrie is the 3d engine. will the built in graphic card is enough? 

Dell Latitude 5480 

Intel Core i5-7440HQ 2.8Ghz

8GB DDR4 2400MHZ

256GB SSD

14 LED-backlit, Anti-glare

1920x1080 LED

Intel HD Graphics 620

Only caveat - no graphics card - so if you play 3D matches you will likely have to reduce the detail level. 

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

Only caveat - no graphics card - so if you play 3D matches you will likely have to reduce the detail level. 

10x for the answer.

what is the minimume standart for 5 stars capability? 

I'd have to test every single graphics card to know that - I can only by information in front of me. 

It would have to be a high end graphics card - I guess. You can check by searching for the graphics card model and going to https://www.notebookcheck.net/

It's pretty good - do you have a monitor. 

I do mate yeah, when you say pretty good,could I run a dozen or so leagues ok?

17 minutes ago, axehan1 said:

I do mate yeah, when you say pretty good,could I run a dozen or so leagues ok?

I can't really tell you how many it will run - that is impossible.

What I will say is that every computer can run every single league, division and large database- it's just the speed of the game will vary from low spec to high spec machines.

It's about finding the balance that you like in the speed. Some people don't mind waiting 10 seconds, others think it's too slow. 

I would say it would have no problem running a good few leauges.

It's a fine computer. 

This is the only other one I can see but it's a bit higher in price

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/10021764-Medion-Erazer-P4408-D_2108920.html

It does NOT have a SSD - but you can always replace/add that at a later stage. 

It has a faster processor - which means you should be able to have more leagues loaded.

Yeah that looks good too.The"HQ" at the end of the processor is that only relevant to Laptops?Are there any to avoid when I'm looking at desktops?

Thanks for the advice by the way, much appreciated.

Hi All,

Currently looking at getting a new PC/Laptop however got a bit of a dilemma as not sure what to get out of a Mac or PC.

I am currently in the Apple eco system as currently have an iPhone and iPad so that was swaying me to get a Macbook Pro or iMac.

I have a budget of around a £1,000 and am aware that you can get something better spec on Windows for the money.  I am just looking for some advice on what you think I would be best of getting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Andrew

I'm considering a Surface Book 2 when it launches this week. Has anyone played Football manager with the Surface Book? What's the experience like with that screen aspect ratio and resolution?

12 hours ago, Lone Gooner said:

Hi All,

Currently looking at getting a new PC/Laptop however got a bit of a dilemma as not sure what to get out of a Mac or PC.

I am currently in the Apple eco system as currently have an iPhone and iPad so that was swaying me to get a Macbook Pro or iMac.

I have a budget of around a £1,000 and am aware that you can get something better spec on Windows for the money.  I am just looking for some advice on what you think I would be best of getting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Andrew

You're wasting your money with a Mac especially at £1000 - you'll get a fantastic pc laptop or desktop for that money

11 hours ago, Xeneize12 said:

I'm considering a Surface Book 2 when it launches this week. Has anyone played Football manager with the Surface Book? What's the experience like with that screen aspect ratio and resolution?

Not played on one so cannot answer your questions. 

However, initial research says that the processor is not up to football manager.

Can you post the specs of the surface You're looking to buy?

For the price You're mad!!! You can get a much better laptop for much much cheaper.

15 hours ago, Smurf said:

I can't really tell you how many it will run - that is impossible.

What I will say is that every computer can run every single league, division and large database- it's just the speed of the game will vary from low spec to high spec machines.

It's about finding the balance that you like in the speed. Some people don't mind waiting 10 seconds, others think it's too slow. 

I would say it would have no problem running a good few leauges.

It's a fine computer. 

This is the only other one I can see but it's a bit higher in price

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/10021764-Medion-Erazer-P4408-D_2108920.html

It does NOT have a SSD - but you can always replace/add that at a later stage. 

It has a faster processor - which means you should be able to have more leagues loaded.

Yeah that looks good too.The"HQ" at the end of the processor is that only relevant to Laptops?Are there any to avoid when I'm looking at desktops?

1 hour ago, axehan1 said:

I haven't answered this because I'm on my tablet away from my computer. It's a long winded answer. 

Basically there's low end, mid range, and high end processors. There's lots of numbers prefixes and suffixes for these processors. 

It's impossible for anyone to know all processors. 

Generally, I do research all processors using ark.intel.com or if it's an AMD processor I find info on those a bit scarce, but there's reliable reviews on places like http://www.tomshardware.com

What I do look out for is a processor that performs well and doesn't get throttled. For instance there was someone on here looking at a processor that was 2.7ghz and turbo boost to 3.2ghz... which seemed to fit football manager. In a bit of research I found out that when it was using a single core it was 2.7ghz but in dual core and while operating the hyper threading (splitting cores to perform more threads (tasks) it shifted into a lower clock speed overall. Basically it sounded like it split the speed of 2.7ghz over 2 cores and split that speed again while hyperthreading... Which made it an underperforming processor.

Further research I found out it was entry level. So I couldn't tell that person that it's OK and be perfect for football manager. Although it looked great on paper it wasn't up to the task.

What I could do is look at the price and find another laptop with a better processor for the exact same price.

The next thing I need to be careful with is the budget. If someone comes I'm looking for a £500 laptop and a processor has a u at the end of it then I can  suggest a better laptop for them at £600 because £500 won't. The best I can do is recommended that they save a little bit more money and that way they can get a better laptop that will play FM. 

Willit be the best laptop in the world, no, but it will be better than what they were going to get in the first place which is all I asked for. If they can get a better laptop for £600 is definitely worth saving for. And I have even told people who come with a budget below £500 that I cannot recommend the laptop that would suit FM.

It would just be a waste of £500. It just that hq processors in laptops start coming in at the £600. So when I see someone posting a 700 laptop with a u processor it makes me sad to see someone parting with that money for a laptop that's not going to be good for football manager.

But I can do is take a look at what someone has posted and suggest something that might be better. Especially if people come looking for boys and they might have picked and older processor and there might be a processor that is slightly better around the same price.

It just so happens that I've given up researching u processors because they are deliberately underclocked. Much like the processor I spoke about before it underclocked when accessing more cores and hyperthreading.

For me it's not so much about the letters at the end of the processor there are some to avoid but I really look for is the persons budget and if there's a better processor available then get the better processor as you have a better FM experience.

Graphics cards will not matter unless you're going to go for a different type of game that requires a graphics card does a graphics card for Call of Duty or something like that you'd have to get something high-end or something like that.

Typically a mid-range graphics card will do. You could forget the high end graphics card and put more money towards a processor and if you don't play 3D matches you could even forget graphics card all together.

Bottom line here is dont discount any processor until  you have done the research.

For a lot of people it's confusing. And that's fine that's what I do...I take that confusion... The budget and find something that will be better.

Usually there is something in a budget that is better. If someone has a budget of £2k then all budget laptops just won't be suggested. It would be something special.

And it's not that u processors are bad they're just not suited for FM.

So ... What's your real budget and we'll find you the best for you in your budget.

Edited by Smurf

Sorry for any grammar errors...I was using voice speech on the tablet. The gist is there...

3 minutes ago, TheDude1980 said:

Hi Smurf

Budget is just on 600 and planning to order this one. Are there any others you would recommend for this price? Really wasn't planning to go over and not fussed that it's only 128gb ssd. Just an FM machine to hopefully last next few years. 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

Thanks

Yep

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I haven't answered this because I'm on my tablet away from my computer. It's a long winded answer. 

Basically there's low end, mid range, and high end processors. There's lots of numbers prefixes and suffixes for these processors. 

It's impossible for anyone to know all processors. 

Generally, I do research all processors using ark.intel.com or if it's an AMD processor I find info on those a bit scarce, but there's reliable reviews on places like http://www.tomshardware.com

What I do look out for is a processor that performs well and doesn't get throttled. For instance there was someone on here looking at a processor that was 2.7ghz and turbo boost to 3.2ghz... which seemed to fit football manager. In a bit of research I found out that when it was using a single core it was 2.7ghz but in dual core and while operating the hyper threading (splitting cores to perform more threads (tasks) it shifted into a lower clock speed overall. Basically it sounded like it split the speed of 2.7ghz over 2 cores and split that speed again while hyperthreading... Which made it an underperforming processor.

Further research I found out it was entry level. So I couldn't tell that person that it's OK and be perfect for football manager. Although it looked great on paper it wasn't up to the task.

What I could do is look at the price and find another laptop with a better processor for the exact same price.

The next thing I need to be careful with is the budget. If someone comes I'm looking for a £500 laptop and a processor has a u at the end of it then I can  suggest a better laptop for them at £600 because £500 won't. The best I can do is recommended that they save a little bit more money and that way they can get a better laptop that will play FM. 

Willit be the best laptop in the world, no, but it will be better than what they were going to get in the first place which is all I asked for. If they can get a better laptop for £600 is definitely worth saving for. And I have even told people who come with a budget below £500 that I cannot recommend the laptop that would suit FM.

It would just be a waste of £500. It just that hq processors in laptops start coming in at the £600. So when I see someone posting a 700 laptop with a u processor it makes me sad to see someone parting with that money for a laptop that's not going to be good for football manager.

But I can do is take a look at what someone has posted and suggest something that might be better. Especially if people come looking for boys and they might have picked and older processor and there might be a processor that is slightly better around the same price.

It just so happens that I've given up researching u processors because they are deliberately underclocked. Much like the processor I spoke about before it underclocked when accessing more cores and hyperthreading.

For me it's not so much about the letters at the end of the processor there are some to avoid but I really look for is the persons budget and if there's a better processor available then get the better processor as you have a better FM experience.

Graphics cards will not matter unless you're going to go for a different type of game that requires a graphics card does a graphics card for Call of Duty or something like that you'd have to get something high-end or something like that.

Typically a mid-range graphics card will do. You could forget the high end graphics card and put more money towards a processor and if you don't play 3D matches you could even forget graphics card all together.

Bottom line here is dont discount any processor until  you have done the research.

For a lot of people it's confusing. And that's fine that's what I do...I take that confusion... The budget and find something that will be better.

Usually there is something in a budget that is better. If someone has a budget of £2k then all budget laptops just won't be suggested. It would be something special.

And it's not that u processors are bad they're just not suited for FM.

So ... What's your real budget and we'll find you the best for you in your budget.

Thanks for the reply Smurf, £700 is my top limit, I only play FM, so the graphics card doesn't have to be too fancy as long as I can watch games in 3d without ant hassle.

I'm leaning towards this laptop https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80RU00EGUK-Lenovo-Ideapad-700_2207197.html#DetailTop which I hope will let me play with at least a dozen leagues loaded on large database.I like the idea of going back to a desktop but my wife isn't to keen so I may have to stick with a laptop.

Yeh that's pretty good. 

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

Sorry for any grammar errors...I was using voice speech on the tablet. The gist is there...

This should cover most Intel related CPU queries: https://www.howtogeek.com/223020/what-are-the-meanings-of-intel-processor-suffixes/

The general issue U processors have is they are designed to race to Idle (800MHz) faster to preserve power and the clock speed is also affected adversely by GPU Load (onboard GPU).  They are limited by TDP (Thermal Design Power) of typically 15W, they can burst past (Turbo) that for very short periods but quickly the extra heat generated forces the clock speed down.  A higher end U Processor like the 7560U (15W) or 7660U (28W) are actually very capable U Line Processors for FM, they command a price to match that though.  A HQ or HK are definitely better for FM as they can sustain higher clock speeds for longer durations which FM does like.  Might be worth keeping an eye out for Ryzen R7 2700U Laptops in the near future, comparable to i5-i7 with much better graphics capabilities.

Desktop wise S & T aren't great but S is good enough, T being desktop equivalent of Mobile U.  Also the P Suffix denotes cut down Graphics (i3-6098P uses HD510, rest use HD530+) so only suitable with a discrete graphics chip by AMD/Nvidia unless 2D is fine for the user.

On 03/11/2017 at 20:15, Chris Hamilton said:

I’ve found one under £600 that was mentioned on hot deals uk, not sure how well it would play FM, perhaps Smurf could advise? https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-au164na-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B01MS4SY4W

11 hours ago, rooneymagic88 said:

I’ve found one under £600 that was mentioned on hot deals uk, not sure how well it would play FM, perhaps Smurf could advise? https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-au164na-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B01MS4SY4W

No - that has "U" processor - see answers above in regards to why not.

This is better

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

It's a smallish hard drive - a flash drive or external drive required down the line.

Or you can replace the hard drive at a later date.

20 minutes ago, Crassie said:

Hi

would this laptop be a good one to play fm18?

Thanks for feedback.

https://www.mediamarkt.be/nl/product/_hp-laptop-15-ay185nb-intel-core-i5-7200u-1lk92ea-1645208.html

3 minutes ago, Smurf said:

No

I'm letting myself down 

This would be better for you - granted it's a bit more expensive

https://www.mediamarkt.be/nl/product/_msi-gaming-laptop-gl62m-7rdx-intel-core-i5-7300hq-gl62m-7rdx-1447-be-1693318.html

Great finds - thanks for the dig out!

Hi all,

1st time poster.

I have a quick question regarding specs of my current laptop. 

Cant run 3d matches on even the lowest of settings without players glitching around the pitch and the touchlines flashing and intermittently disapearing. And on more than one occasion just turning off without shutting down. {Only running 1 league on low size database}.

By looking at the specs below I'm hoping someone might be able to let me know if i need to pay to have my laptop looked at/fixed at pc world or if my laptop {2 yr old} is just too crappy and needs replacing?

Much appreciated.

System memory standard : 8,192 (4,096 + 4,096) MB
maximum expandability : 16,384 MB
technology : DDR3L RAM (1,600 MHz) 
Hard disk

capacity : 1 TB
drive rotation : 5,400 rpm

Processor

type : AMD A4-6210 Quad-Core Accelerated Processor 
clock speed : 1.8 GHz
2nd level cache : 2 MB

Graphics adaptor type : AMD A4-6210 Quad-Core Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon™ R3 Graphics 
memory type : shared 

You should consider a new laptop. There's nothing really that needs to be fixed, your laptop falls below the minimum specs for FM>

Can I play with FM18 at full details with a GTX1060 6GB?

Edited by Delvi

On 05/11/2017 at 08:44, Smurf said:

You're wasting your money with a Mac especially at £1000 - you'll get a fantastic pc laptop or desktop for that money

Thanks Smurf

I was looking at going for a desktop, and I have been looking at a customer build site called PC Specialist. What graphics card do you think would be best to go with?

Thanks

9 hours ago, Delvi said:

Can I play with FM18 at full details with a GTX1060 6GB?

Probably...

9 hours ago, Lone Gooner said:

Thanks Smurf

I was looking at going for a desktop, and I have been looking at a customer build site called PC Specialist. What graphics card do you think would be best to go with?

Thanks

Whatever you can afford...what's the budget?

Good morning, I was looking for advice on a new laptop, one that will play fm18 but also has a decent webcam.

I can go up to £1000, but looking more around the £750 range.

Thank you.

Smurf you do some great work, but I don't know how you keep calm when you constantly get linked to laptops/PC's with 'U' processors even though you've explained 100's of times they aren't good for FM

I had no knowledge of what processors did what before coming on to this thread but after a 10 minute read of previous replies I figured out what was needed

Bit of a long way of saying well done again for your fantastic work I feel you're very undervalued 

Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ Quad Core (2,5 GHz - turbo 3,5 GHz)

Processor cache - 6 MB

RAM - 16MB (DDR4-2400 - 2x 8GB)

NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 1050 (4GB GDDR5)

SSD Disk - 256 GB

Changing my machine. What's your opinion...?

Thanks,