New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

After a quick scan of the market I can see that there are next to none compact ultra/notebooks with full HQ processors. Quess I'll just stick to the one I have now and buy an additional desktop if I really struggle with the new game. Thanks for all the help though!

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, samwilzrhcp said:

There's not much difference

For battery life I'd be going for the Acer - but slightly (not by much) lesser processor 

For price - MSI - but you're sacraficing disk storage - which could be suplemented by external storage.

The ASUS looks awesome - but you're sacraficing the SSD drive - which in theory you could swap the hard drive for an SSD later on in life

Going to buy a desktop off a local custom maker 

Intel i7 2.9ghz 8core

16 gb ram

128 ssd &  extra hdd room

For under €1000

Sellinf my current laptop on ; its HP, 2 years old, i7 quad core 2.4ghz and 8gb of ram with an Nvidia graphics card in it - hoping to fetch about €500 as it’s a pretty solid machine to be honest and I’ve kept it very well only used for college and FM - does anyone know how to estimate sale value of a used laptop or best place to sell?

Cant wait to try FM 18 on this !!

19 minutes ago, mikeyh1986 said:

Im Looking to spend around £300 will anything do it?

You won't get much for that - sorry

14 minutes ago, karlcole said:

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what difference I’d notice by upgrading my laptop from 4vb to 8gb? Would it be speed or more leagues etc?

RAM has no real effect on how many leagues you can run etc.

However, RAM is used to improve the overall functioning of the computer.

These days, Windows can take up 2gb of RAM, and Football Manager would take up 2gb RAM. 

When other things in the computer start requesting RAM to run  - then Windows will only have less RAM to use, Football Manager will have less - as more apps will request RAM and it has to be shared amongst all apps.

That's why it's best to get at least 8gb RAM - probably the most you'll actually need.

15 minutes ago, mikeyh1986 said:

would it actually run on this?

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-14-stream-14-ax000na-4gb-32gb-with-office-365-and-1tb-onedrive-storage-aqua-blue/197-3694.prd?skuId=197-3694

Ive never had any issues until this one, whatever laptop ive had has ran it, and relatively quick, the laptops havent been anything special

To be clear - Football Manager will likely run on any computer that is in anyway modern, from 2007 and upwards.

How fast and efficient it runs is completely different. If you're running 1 league, 1 division and small database, it will be a flyer. If you're running 10 leauges, 30 divisions, large database, then it will crawl. 

It's pretty basic laptop in fairness. the Processor (brain) only runs at 1.6ghz - which is below the minimum spec of FM which is 2.2ghz. 

You get what you pay for.

RAM has an influence on how many leagues you can run, when you are using a 64 bit OS. On 32 bit FM are using never more than 3 GB of RAM, while on 64 bit it uses up to 6 GB (on my mac, but I guess it's the same on 64 bit pc). 

12 hours ago, karlcole said:

Smurf any recommendations for laptops or pcs around £500

I wouldn't be comfortable offering at £500 level - however, for an extra £100

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

The hard drive is a bit on the small side, but it's easily fixed with external storage, or replacing the drive eventually with a larger one.

If this isn't feasible then I'd only be recommending a laptop that I wouldn't be confident of working well with FM.

9 hours ago, karlcole said:

How will this run fm

i5 7400 3ghz

geforce gtx 1050 2gb

8g ram

thanks

Looks good

It's very similar to an i3 3220 except it's 2/2 not 2/4 in cores/threads

It is what it is - I wouldn't recommend it for FM. 

But if that's what they're getting, it will work - but how well it works is up in the air.

I can't really help any more than that - all I know is what you've told me.

Where are they buying? What's the budget? Why this processor? 

Hi Smurf,

From reading the thread I think I have 2 choices..

Could you explain the pros and cons between the 2 please?

Like most people, I would like to run c5-7 leagues, max database. What would be the fastest? Up to now, I only watch commentary in games but might branch into 3D in this version.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

on a side note, I can get 20 per cent off at Tesco Direct, do they sell any that I could get some value for money? If not, it's cool!

cheers

14 hours ago, Smurf said:

I wouldn't be comfortable offering at £500 level - however, for an extra £100

The hard drive is a bit on the small side, but it's easily fixed with external storage, or replacing the drive eventually with a larger one.

If this isn't feasible then I'd only be recommending a laptop that I wouldn't be confident of working well with FM.

Looks good

is it worth paying the extra for the 1TB?

Hi Smurf,

Ive currently got a Macbook pro (2012 model) its always worked ok but just not man enough for the 3D match engine, it does have a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB which is decent? Looking at getting a new laptop for FM18, I love Macbook just for design and I travel alot for work so its portability is great.  Think id rather buy a Mac but i know that i can get something that runs FM alot better for less. how do you think FM would run on this;

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/apple-macbook-pro-13-with-retina-display-touch-bar-space-grey-10150891-pdt.html

but i have been looking at this as a non Mac option, would this run it well? comparing mine to that mac they isnt actually that much difference just the graphics i imagine? my mac just goes noisy on FM but i read what you put about the mac a couple of pages ago.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-power-15-cb060sa-15-6-gaming-laptop-black-10164666-pdt.html

would that HP tan the mac in terms of running FM18?

Thanks

On 20 October 2017 at 19:32, Slbllr said:

Hi Smurf,

From reading the thread I think I have 2 choices..

Could you explain the pros and cons between the 2 please?

Like most people, I would like to run c5-7 leagues, max database. What would be the fastest? Up to now, I only watch commentary in games but might branch into 3D in this version.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM970T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM970T_2145528.html

on a side note, I can get 20 per cent off at Tesco Direct, do they sell any that I could get some value for money? If not, it's cool!

cheers

Hi all - can anyone help me out with the above please?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Slbllr said:

Hi all - can anyone help me out with the above please?

Thanks

They're both excellent. 

Pricewise - the first one is fine - however, there's little disk space, so eventually you'll need to get external storage, or replace the hard drive - neither option is especially expensive. 

Technically - the 2nd one is better and comes with  more storage - but it's more expensive. 

Hands down I'd be going for the 2nd one.

But if your budget is tight, go for the first one. 

Reasons:

Processor: Relatively better processor (just about because the 2nd one has hyperthreading and when it comes to a processor for FM the more power the better)

More storage

Graphics card are relatively equal.

There's much debate if FM uses hyperthreading

However, who knows what FM19/20/21/22 etc. will bring???

I know that FM is especially CPU heavy and in general I am far from concerned about not being able to run the game. I did want to ask though if there is anything that could be upgraded to make a significant performance boost. I am mostly worried that the calculation time with a large database and a dozen countries including all leagues (for sunday reputation save) might become a bit annoying after some years while I do want to go for a long-term save. My specs are currently:

CPU: CPU Intel Core i7 4790K 4x 4.00GHz

RAM: DDR3 8GB (2x 4096MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9-9-9-24

SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC (CT256MX100SSD1)

GPU: GeForce GTX 970

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

2 hours ago, jamessmith010101 said:

i wouldnt buy any laptop brand new just hop onto ebay and pick a gaming one up with 16gb ram for about 500!!  check to make sure its customisable ie upgrade ram and stuff and save yourselves money 

I wouldn't buy from eBay - they're not reputable sellers, in my eyes. You get what you pay for.

RAM is the least thing to worry about in football manager terms. 

Processor is key for Football Manager.

Buying a new laptop is always the best option over buying a 2nd hand, or from an unreputable seller.

1 hour ago, jamessmith010101 said:

i would be telling the guy to check he can upgrade these and to what spec. first one is a no go unless your going for the 1tb option. and check the ram can you upgrde to 32 gb if not then its notn even an option to buy.

8 gig is the minimum nowadays 

8gb is more than enough for any system.

If you are doing video editing, animation, or large images in photoshop, or a lot of photo/video/animation manipulation - then you will need the 16 or even 32gb RAM.

There's no need to go over 8gb RAM most of the time. 

Most comptuers are easy to upgrade the RAM anyway - and it's the cheapest part of any laptop to upgrade the RAM to more should you need it.

But you won't need more than 8gb RAM.

37 minutes ago, zehessc said:

I know that FM is especially CPU heavy and in general I am far from concerned about not being able to run the game. I did want to ask though if there is anything that could be upgraded to make a significant performance boost. I am mostly worried that the calculation time with a large database and a dozen countries including all leagues (for sunday reputation save) might become a bit annoying after some years while I do want to go for a long-term save. My specs are currently:

CPU: CPU Intel Core i7 4790K 4x 4.00GHz

RAM: DDR3 8GB (2x 4096MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9-9-9-24

SSD: 256GB Crucial MX100 2.5" (6.4cm) SATA 6Gb/s MLC (CT256MX100SSD1)

GPU: GeForce GTX 970

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

That's a beast of a computer and should have no problem running. 

You can get more RAM if you want - I don't believe it would make a huge difference. But there's no harm in having more. 

What area are you trying to improve? The Processor is a beast - you have enough RAM and your graphics card is more than enough.

I just wanted to make sure that the game with large database and lots of leagues does not become overly slow after a couple of seasons. I didn't play FM17 as much as I will play FM18. My main concern was the fact that the FM17 already went down to 1,5 star or so in regards to the performance shown when choosing leagues, database etc. So I was wondering if this will create very long calculation times later on due to something not ideally upgraded.

In the end I went for this absolutely beastly set-up with a custom made laptop. Hopefully it will last a long time at just over £2k. My last laptop lasted 4 and a half years and still works fine (donating it to a family member), so I look after them pretty well. My old i7-3630QM 2,4GHz ran 10 leagues reasonably well with 8GB ram so can't wait to see how this runs. 

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 - 8.0GB GDDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1, G-SYNC
1st Hard Disk NOT REQUIRED
M.2 SSD Drive 1TB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3000MB/R, 1700MB/W)

Hi Smuft, I must ask again as I have been reading some other FM-sites and most people says the FM-perfomance of a laptop comes down to the processor and not that much the graphics. And by that many claims that buying a full gaming laptop is kind of a waste , at least if you dont pay that much attention to the match days and 3d match engine. You said that HQ, or likewise, processors are preferred for gaming and given that there are not many laptops out there with those so I have to ask. If I set graphic settings to low and not focus that much about the matches itself (exclude of from the comparison), what would you say is the difference between, for example the HP Spectre and the HP Pavilion Power (linkes bellow), as they have pretty much the same spec except for the graphics. The same processor speed (2,5GHz), but the Pavilion has a HQ and the Spectre has a U processor. It seems like most people say that if you buy a laptop with a processor that is significantly faster the the requirements of the game (in this case 2,5GHz>2,2GHz) it would run pretty good for general FM-use (like top 5 nations in Europe+some south american leagues).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-13-ac001na-Touchscreen-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B073CLY474/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1508850192&sr=8-9&keywords=hp+spectre+x360

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-cb003na-15-Inch-Gaming/dp/B07339SWB9/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1508850418&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=HP+Pavilion+Power+15-cb080

Thanks for your time!

Archived