New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

13 hours ago, Welshace said:

Hi guys, been out of the country for a fair amount of time and haven't kept up with the latest finds in terms of laptops around... any bargains come up recently?

What's your budget, and what's the goal for your FM experience; do you like long career games; like loading all leagues, some leagues etc.; like playing games in 3D mode, or in 2D mode? 

9 hours ago, Mallorca said:

I have been trying to find a laptop to play a FM on but my knowledge of laptops is very limited. I have been googling past few days and I found this laptop. Can someone tell me if it is good enough to play FM 17 on it and if so how fast will it be.

https://www.sestavi.si/index.php/item/display/49156/54681_prenosni-racunalniki_dell-_-dell-notebook-inspiron-3542-15-6----intel-core-i5-4210u--linux--black--2y.jpeg

No - that wouldn't be good enough for FM 2017. 

What's your budget - and are there any other sites you can buy from? That site posted is a bit difficult to navigate in terms of finding the correct configuration.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Either of them is fine then for what you need. 

One has a screen built in - the other you need your own screen.

Yes fine mate thanks Probably go with the all in one as computer i have now is windows vista dell c521 yonks old.

Someone can do me a custom pc with a Intel Core I3-6100 8GB run FM ok or would i need a graphics card ?? or go with your option

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

What's your budget, and what's the goal for your FM experience; do you like long career games; like loading all leagues, some leagues etc.; like playing games in 3D mode, or in 2D mode? 

No - that wouldn't be good enough for FM 2017. 

What's your budget - and are there any other sites you can buy from? That site posted is a bit difficult to navigate in terms of finding the correct configuration.

I wish to play in 3d mode, will load just few top leagues.
Well this is site I ordered before from so I trust this site, which is big for me for buying online.

Budget is 500-600€ but if I can't get laptop in that range I can increase abit.

On this site you click on laptop and then scroll abit down from pictures and all configurations are listed there.

https://www.sestavi.si/index.php/items/display/101/102/prenosni-racunalniki

Also are prices ok? Would I save much by ordering on ebay and similar sites?

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

Out of all them on that site - this is the only one I found at the lowest price

https://www.sestavi.si/index.php/item/display/51642

Thanks.

Found this one it looks better to me and is also cheaper. Is it or am I missing someting?

https://www.mimovrste.com/prenosniki/hp-pavilion-14-al103nm-i5-7200u8gb1tb14gtx940mxdos-y1ap27ea

43 minutes ago, Smurf said:

You won't need a graphics card if you're only doing 3D.

The i3-6100 would be fine with 8gb RAM.

Thanks mate

About to buy a new laptop in the near future

The old one are close to calling the day, back when I bought that AMD was a no go, and Intel was the only ones to get, is it still that way, or have the AMD progressed so they are close/closer to Intel?

Would this...

Processor AMD FX-8800P Carrizo

Processor cores 4

Processor speed 2,1 GHz

Processor Turbo/Burst 3,4 GHz

RAM 16 GB

Harddrive 256 GB

Be any worse than playing on 

CPU Intel Core i5 (7. Gen) 7200U / 2.5 GHz

Max Turbo Speed3.1 GHz

Dual-Core

RAM 8 BG

would the double RAM and that it is has 4 cores compared to the dual-core make up for being with a AMD processor 

FM minimum spec is to have 2.2ghz processor. 

The first one you point to has 2.1ghz - with turbo boost to 3.4ghz. This means when the processor is overloaded and heating it will run at 2.1ghz or thereabouts, which is below the minimum spec for FM.

The other processor is 2.5ghz base speed, with max speed to 3.1ghz - which means when the processor is overloaded or overheating it will run at 2.5ghz or thereabouts. Which is above FM minimum spec.

8gb is adequate for FM - more than enough actually - however I prefer to have 16gb RAM - but that's preferential and you can upgrade to 16gb RAM at a later stage anyway.

I'd be drawn to the 7200 U processor between the two.

However, what is your budget and where are you buying from? There might be something better out there.

You haven't mentioned graphics card or if you want to play 2d or 3d matches etc?

6 minutes ago, Smurf said:

FM minimum spec is to have 2.2ghz processor. 

The first one you point to has 2.1ghz - with turbo boost to 3.4ghz. This means when the processor is overloaded and heating it will run at 2.1ghz or thereabouts, which is below the minimum spec for FM.

The other processor is 2.5ghz base speed, with max speed to 3.1ghz - which means when the processor is overloaded or overheating it will run at 2.5ghz or thereabouts. Which is above FM minimum spec.

8gb is adequate for FM - more than enough actually - however I prefer to have 16gb RAM - but that's preferential and you can upgrade to 16gb RAM at a later stage anyway.

I'd be drawn to the 7200 U processor between the two.

However, what is your budget and where are you buying from? There might be something better out there.

You haven't mentioned graphics card or if you want to play 2d or 3d matches etc?

Buying from Denmark, so I really can't use the English shops. But around £600-£700 at a max

what about AMD vs Intel is it a big issue? and does 4 cores compared to dual core, make a big difference?

(have the game on text with high lights in 2d)

As far as I'm aware - FM will use as many cores are as available. 

As FM is a processing game - it uses the processor a lot - then the larger your save, more countries, more players, and playing for many many years in the game, it would be beneficial to have 4 cores over 2. 

I don't know much about the difference between AMD and Intel - I tend to find Intel easier to research as the make and models and all the specs are supplied on https://ark.intel.com/ - so it's much easier for me to find a laptop based Intel - rather than AMD - due to pure simplicity.

There have been times when an AMD came in cheaper than the Intel, and a bit of research towards the AMD leads me to recommend AMD on occasion. 

I based my reply between AMD and Intel based on the specs of the processors - and no other reason. 

For reasonable career save I'd still go with the 7200U - as it has a faster base speed - whereas the AMD processor does not meet the minimum FM requirements.

2 hours ago, Smurf said:

As far as I'm aware - FM will use as many cores are as available. 

As FM is a processing game - it uses the processor a lot - then the larger your save, more countries, more players, and playing for many many years in the game, it would be beneficial to have 4 cores over 2. 

I don't know much about the difference between AMD and Intel - I tend to find Intel easier to research as the make and models and all the specs are supplied on https://ark.intel.com/ - so it's much easier for me to find a laptop based Intel - rather than AMD - due to pure simplicity.

There have been times when an AMD came in cheaper than the Intel, and a bit of research towards the AMD leads me to recommend AMD on occasion. 

I based my reply between AMD and Intel based on the specs of the processors - and no other reason. 

For reasonable career save I'd still go with the 7200U - as it has a faster base speed - whereas the AMD processor does not meet the minimum FM requirements.

so above 2.5ghz - 4 cores, and 8+ RAM and then it is about the graphics card, which is the "hard" thing to find out about (if it is AMD)

Well - above 2.2 ghz - with as many cores as you like. 

The additional cores going from dual core to quad core wouldn't see a huge difference when you start a game. But the more you get into the game, the more years, the more stats, the more leagues, the more everything that needs to be processed you will see a decline in the game from day-day within the game. 

The faster the processor, and the more cores the faster the game remains as you progress.

Unless you're going to increase the match processing settings a high clocked dual core tends to be a better value option than a lower clocked quad as FM will not make full use of those additional cores, of course there is more to it than clock speed > core count but for most people it is the most useful reference point.

This might change in the future as SI figure out how to better utilise extra physical & virtual cores outside of match processing.

Also be mindful that for a Windows machine the minimum spec frequency is based on an almost 15 year old single core cpu therefore the AMD option will exceed the minimum specs as its IPC (Instructions per Cycle) rating will be much higher than the 2.2 Ghz P4 cpu set as the minimum requirement to run FM.

I disagree with your last part - I bought an i7 quad core that runs at 2.0ghz, thinking it would be good enough for FM. Turns out it's pretty damn slow with FM running only a few leagues and loading a medium database. After about 10 seasons the game is unplayable and I have to start over again. 

I'd never recommend a computer that falls below the 2.2ghz bare minimum for Football Manager.

Alright guys I've decided to buy a new laptop for FM17 and looking ahead to FM18. Been playing FM since the good old days of Championship Manager and have always played on good old classic 2D mode! Well no more! I've seen people playing on 3D on YouTube etc and want a slice of that cake. 

Have no no idea on price but let's say a budget of 500-600 quid or am I kidding myself?  

But can anyone send me in the right direction please that would be great 

Adding this on the end the Mrs likes to play the Sims as she absolutely nuts so has to be alright with that to! 

Thanks again guys 

On the hunt for a new laptop. Primarily for Football Manager and general web browsing. Budgeting around £500 give or take. 

I can get 20% off this one so works out around £510 https://www.tesco.com/direct/acer-156-f15-intel-i5-7200u-8gb-1tb-hdd-128ssd-gtx950m-full-hd-dvdrw-silver-laptop/132-1860.prd

Or shall I dig a little deeper and plump for this one (which I've seen mentioned on here a few times previously) https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/7240-9067-StormForce-7240-9067_2060056.html

I'd prefer to play FM17 in 3D view and normally run anywhere between 4-10 leagues.

However, if anyone thinks this is a monumental waste of money and believe that for FM and just browsing the web I'd be better of saving a couple of hundred quid and plumping for something that I may only get 2D view out from I'm happy to listen.

Thanks

I disagree, the i5-6300HQ will comfortably outperform the i5-7200U, the benchmark thread only has one of each but based on other larger sample benchmark reports I suspect the performance difference is probably accurate. 

As for everything else it's fairly even & given that the SSD will have no impact of FM load/save times & is too small to be of any practical use other than a small improvement in system boot time it doesn't sway favour towards the Tesco option & less so when teh other ope comes in with dedicated graphics card, granted it's not much of an improvement on the Intel HD chips in the respective options but it will help spread the load & the 6300HQ has a marginally better on board graphics performance than the 7200U.

If FM wasn't part of the consideration the 7200U would be my choice in this budget range but FM performance is the primary consideration & because of that the £50 saving is not worth the significant performance drop.

Hello, looking for some advice firstly a couple years back i went and bought a laptop only to find it was very slow running fm so now im looking to not make that mistake again.

i would ideally like to run a few of the top leagues mainly view only large db and do a long career 10-15 years , wouldnt mind 3d but not neccesary as i am from the only comm era so what specs should i be looking for? 

Is a budget of 500-800 reasonable?

here are a few im looking at

http://www.littlewoods.com/dell-inspiron-15-5000-series-intelreg-coretrade-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-156-inch-full-hd-laptop-with-4gb-amd-radeon-r7-and-optional-microsoft-office-365-home-black/1600153272.prd

http://www.littlewoods.com/acer-aspire-f-15-intelreg-coretrade-i5-processor-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-1tbnbsphdd-156-inch-full-hd-gaming-laptop-with-4gbnbspnvidianbspgtx-950mnbspgraphics-silver/1600152981.prd

is this overkill do you think as if i can save some money id like too i just dont want to be left with the only being able to use a small database only 3 leagues and very slow changing screens and in menus thanks 

I'm Thinking about jumping back into fm after a few years off, but also need a new laptop for general bits so was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the new 2017 MacBook Pro 15" running fm2017. I.e. Performance, any issues etc

Any MBP will run FM, there have been issues with heat management (not unique to FM) & graphics if running on a Retina display, both of which I believe have been extensively covered in the technical issue sections should you want more detail on the ease of addressing those two issues.

12 hours ago, Barside said:

I disagree, the i5-6300HQ will comfortably outperform the i5-7200U, the benchmark thread only has one of each but based on other larger sample benchmark reports I suspect the performance difference is probably accurate. 

As for everything else it's fairly even & given that the SSD will have no impact of FM load/save times & is too small to be of any practical use other than a small improvement in system boot time it doesn't sway favour towards the Tesco option & less so when teh other ope comes in with dedicated graphics card, granted it's not much of an improvement on the Intel HD chips in the respective options but it will help spread the load & the 6300HQ has a marginally better on board graphics performance than the 7200U.

If FM wasn't part of the consideration the 7200U would be my choice in this budget range but FM performance is the primary consideration & because of that the £50 saving is not worth the significant performance drop.

I digress - and feel the OP should have gone with the 6300 HQ - I opted towards the SSD as I felt the processors were only marginally different.

SSD does have an impact on load and save times.

Both have near equal dedicated graphics cards.

However, I don't think the differences are enough to cause any concern, and the SSD will be much better than any HD.

11 hours ago, dannyrefc said:

Hello, looking for some advice firstly a couple years back i went and bought a laptop only to find it was very slow running fm so now im looking to not make that mistake again.

i would ideally like to run a few of the top leagues mainly view only large db and do a long career 10-15 years , wouldnt mind 3d but not neccesary as i am from the only comm era so what specs should i be looking for? 

Is a budget of 500-800 reasonable?

here are a few im looking at

http://www.littlewoods.com/dell-inspiron-15-5000-series-intelreg-coretrade-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-156-inch-full-hd-laptop-with-4gb-amd-radeon-r7-and-optional-microsoft-office-365-home-black/1600153272.prd

http://www.littlewoods.com/acer-aspire-f-15-intelreg-coretrade-i5-processor-8gb-ram-128gb-ssd-1tbnbsphdd-156-inch-full-hd-gaming-laptop-with-4gbnbspnvidianbspgtx-950mnbspgraphics-silver/1600152981.prd

is this overkill do you think as if i can save some money id like too i just dont want to be left with the only being able to use a small database only 3 leagues and very slow changing screens and in menus thanks 

This one keeps coming up in searches - and I think it's pretty decent.

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

If anyone has any other ideas?

1 hour ago, latlatlat said:

I'm Thinking about jumping back into fm after a few years off, but also need a new laptop for general bits so was wondering if anyone has any experiences with the new 2017 MacBook Pro 15" running fm2017. I.e. Performance, any issues etc

Heat overload is the main issue. The MacBook Pro is pretty underpowered for the price you are paying - it's a ripoff in my opinion.

Do you need a Mac? If not then why are you buying one? If it's for FM you'll get a far superior laptop for the same price.

1 hour ago, Barside said:

Any MBP will run FM, there have been issues with heat management (not unique to FM) & graphics if running on a Retina display, both of which I believe have been extensively covered in the technical issue sections should you want more detail on the ease of addressing those two issues.

This is true - but for the money you pay the MacBooks are severely underpowered.

26 minutes ago, KGregory44 said:

It would play fine - but it's 13 inch screen - is that what you want?

1 hour ago, Smurf said:

I digress - and feel the OP should have gone with the 6300 HQ - I opted towards the SSD as I felt the processors were only marginally different.

SSD does have an impact on load and save times.

Both have near equal dedicated graphics cards.

However, I don't think the differences are enough to cause any concern, and the SSD will be much better than any HD.

An SSD has no disernable impact on load/save times, it is something I have tested. 

Considering I tested when I worked at SI & on subsequent releases after I left I guess I am right, in fact I tested it after the date of Brocky's first post in that steam thread & showed there was no difference in load/save time between the 7 year old 7200rpm HHD in my desktop & the brand new EVO850 in my laptop. Both devices were benchmarked & shown to be in perfect working order.

In the future SI may develop a solution to resign the code to tap into the benefits available from an SSD but for now they don't exist.

Alright guys I posted here a few days ago but didn't get a response, I'm looking for a laptop that is excellent for online browsing and excellent for fm17 and then fm18. 

If anyone can tell me or point me in the right direction that would be great 

38 minutes ago, Barside said:

Considering I tested when I worked at SI & on subsequent releases after I left I guess I am right, in fact I tested it after the date of Brocky's first post in that steam thread & showed there was no difference in load/save time between the 7 year old 7200rpm HHD in my desktop & the brand new EVO850 in my laptop. Both devices were benchmarked & shown to be in perfect working order.

In the future SI may develop a solution to resign the code to tap into the benefits available from an SSD but for now they don't exist.

Fine - you're entitled to your opinions and testing as you see it - that's your take on it. After all it's a forum - and we're all allowed to have our own opinions and our own experiences, and relay those back to people asking.

It's up to the OP to decide which way they want to go.

I'll just leave a few more posts regarding performance of SSD and FM

"A vast improvement from the "before-SSD-times" if you ask me."

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-discussion/218154-fm15-ssd-hard-disk.html

"Can't imagine playing it without an SSD."

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/football-manager-on-ssd.18346828/

"Got it on a m.2 ssd with a heap of leagues and 16gb of ram. Still takes a while to save and load. But heaps better than my old pc on an average hdd. Never done timings before but happy with the improvement. Could not go back."

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/5m7t8a/does_football_manager_run_faster_if_i_install_it/

On 6/23/2017 at 21:24, PhilNUFC said:

Alright guys I've decided to buy a new laptop for FM17 and looking ahead to FM18. Been playing FM since the good old days of Championship Manager and have always played on good old classic 2D mode! Well no more! I've seen people playing on 3D on YouTube etc and want a slice of that cake. 

Have no no idea on price but let's say a budget of 500-600 quid or am I kidding myself?  

But can anyone send me in the right direction please that would be great 

Adding this on the end the Mrs likes to play the Sims as she absolutely nuts so has to be alright with that to! 

Thanks again guys 

On 6/25/2017 at 12:45, Smurf said:

29 minutes ago, PhilNUFC said:

Alright guys I posted here a few days ago but didn't get a response, I'm looking for a laptop that is excellent for online browsing and excellent for fm17 and then fm18. 

If anyone can tell me or point me in the right direction that would be great 

I posted directly after you posted - and the above link is related to what you asked

3 hours ago, Smurf said:

Fine - you're entitled to your opinions and testing as you see it - that's your take on it. After all it's a forum - and we're all allowed to have our own opinions and our own experiences, and relay those back to people asking.

It's up to the OP to decide which way they want to go.

I'll just leave a few more posts regarding performance of SSD and FM

"A vast improvement from the "before-SSD-times" if you ask me."

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/football-manager-2015-discussion/218154-fm15-ssd-hard-disk.html

"Can't imagine playing it without an SSD."

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/football-manager-on-ssd.18346828/

"Got it on a m.2 ssd with a heap of leagues and 16gb of ram. Still takes a while to save and load. But heaps better than my old pc on an average hdd. Never done timings before but happy with the improvement. Could not go back."

https://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/5m7t8a/does_football_manager_run_faster_if_i_install_it/

I'll take my SI verified test results over posts that contain supposition based on expected performance or  unqualified comparisons to older PC's rather than actual data.

On 22/6/2017 at 16:09, Smurf said:

Well - above 2.2 ghz - with as many cores as you like. 

The additional cores going from dual core to quad core wouldn't see a huge difference when you start a game. But the more you get into the game, the more years, the more stats, the more leagues, the more everything that needs to be processed you will see a decline in the game from day-day within the game. 

The faster the processor, and the more cores the faster the game remains as you progress.

having 8-10-12 tabs open while playing Fm in window mode, what does that demands for the laptop on top of the demands of FM ghz/RAM/???

a lot of the cheap'ish laptops have a i5-7200U Processor

I can see that it scores low on the bench mark test

Is that a total no go, or is it just that it can't compete with the top of the pop

For me it's a no go option if the laptop will mainly be used for FM, it is not designed for prolonged processing which is exactly what FM will task it to do.

I agree with Barside for the processor. The 6300HQ is a better processor. But the 7200U would be sufficient enough for FM. 

I already agreed that I may have misjudged this particular round of comparing laptops. 

However, the 7200U with the SSD would be a lighter lowered powered laptop with sufficient processing for FM - 

1 hour ago, Barside said:

For me it's a no go option if the laptop will mainly be used for FM, it is not designed for prolonged processing which is exactly what FM will task it to do.

Alright mate Smurf recommend me a laptop the other day and I've since been doing a little bit of research and was wondering out of these two you would go for 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J562-1673-MSI-GL62-7QF-1673UK_2066567.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80QH008TUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-300_2100914.html

I know I have a limited budget I guess it comes to us all when the wife and kids are a priority 

The first one I said is miles better 

Better processor - better graphics card - better hard drive - 

The only main difference here is the MSI is 15 inch screen and the Lenovo Ideapad is a 17 inch screen

It's up to you - I'd go for the MSI

1 hour ago, PhilNUFC said:

Alright mate Smurf recommend me a laptop the other day and I've since been doing a little bit of research and was wondering out of these two you would go for 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/80QH008TUK-Lenovo-IdeaPad-300_2100914.html

I know I have a limited budget I guess it comes to us all when the wife and kids are a priority 

Pesky families, agree with Smurf as I would prefer the MSI option, the Lenovo one has preceding generation to the i5-7200 making the preformance gap even bigger.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

The first one I said is miles better 

Better processor - better graphics card - better hard drive - 

The only main difference here is the MSI is 15 inch screen and the Lenovo Ideapad is a 17 inch screen

It's up to you - I'd go for the MSI

Cheers mate going to order that one when i get home tonight. Thanks again for all the advice! 

4 hours ago, Barside said:

Pesky families, agree with Smurf as I would prefer the MSI option, the Lenovo one has preceding generation to the i5-7200 making the preformance gap even bigger.

Thanks mate glad I found this forum with people who actually know what they're talking about big thanks to yourself and Smurf for heading me in the right direction. 

Archived