New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

2 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

Good to hear @Welshace ?

Cant really see a fault with the one I've ordered other than no optical drive, but that's a very minor issue for me.

I've also ordered this today. Lack of IPS screen a relatively minor annoyance for me as I'll be hooking it up to a monitor for much of the time. Going to be a shock to the system moving back to Windows from Mac after ten years, wish me luck...

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, NewGambino said:

Hi guys, 

My MacBook Pro MD101 sadly died on me yesterday *RIP*.. 

So i'm on the lookout for a new laptop for FM use only.. (I've already got a laptop given by my work go get workbased things done).

A new MacBook would be lovely.. But i'm not willing to pay that much for a PC/Mac, when it's only purpose is FM.. 

But it's kinda important that the screen is between 13-14" :-) 

I found this Dell which i'm really close to ordering.. Because i first off all like the 499 pound pricetag. But features like backlighted keys is also kinda nice to have. 

Link: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-13-5368-2-in-1-laptop/pd?oc=cn53601&model_id=inspiron-13-5368-2-in-1-laptop

The only question is how well the Intel Core i3 6100U will run the game? I compared it to the Intel Core i5 there was in my MacBook and the i3 was a lot better benchmarked. 

Should I buy??? 

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/TP301UA-DW061T-ASUS-TP301UA-DW061T_2017919.html

significantly better cpu and twice as much ram?

3 hours ago, aj2kuk said:

I've also ordered this today. Lack of IPS screen a relatively minor annoyance for me as I'll be hooking it up to a monitor for much of the time. Going to be a shock to the system moving back to Windows from Mac after ten years, wish me luck...

No idea what an IPS screen is :D does it make a big difference for everyday use?

Well, at least you will know for sure that you'd never get such good hardware in a Mac for that price.  Hope the switch isn't too difficult!

Ended up buying this acer just now. Has i5-7200u, 8GB DDR 4 and 256GB SSD. Was 499 but code CYBER15 took it to 424.

https://uk-store.acer.com/notebooks/everyday?optical_drive_type=1558&price=300-500&series=2760

Do you reckon this will run FM17 with a few leagues and a decent player database? Integrated graphics though so will 3D be a no no?

3 hours ago, Lhansson said:

Hello!

How would this desktop run FM17? 

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake, 32 gb DDR4 ram, Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6gb dual oc, SSD drive. 

Thanks in advance! 

It's top of the range, have a wild guess.

(you're making me jealous)

16 minutes ago, bennytee said:

It's top of the range, have a wild guess.

(you're making me jealous)

I'm not the technical guy so must ask to be sure haha. 

Have played FM on Mac for some years but am tired of fan issues, low performance and so on.

Bought it today, will have it next tuesday. 

1 hour ago, Lhansson said:

I'm not the technical guy so must ask to be sure haha. 

Have played FM on Mac for some years but am tired of fan issues, low performance and so on.

Bought it today, will have it next tuesday. 

yeah, sorry if that sounded a bit flippant.

It's an impressive rig, you've future-proofed yourself from a Football Manager perspective for many many years to come.

As a comparison I run 90% of all leagues with 160,00 players and mine is as follows

I5 4670k Overclocked to 4.3Ghz 16gb Ram and a GTX 760 

It may be what some people would describe as slow-ish but I just love the immersion that goes with a massive gameworld

My advice to you is to have a trial run with all the leagues and see how it is for you, it's a matter of taste I suppose.

Also you should seriously look into overclocking if you haven't already, it's not as hard or as daunting as it may at first seem and there are loads of great youtube tutorials out there to help you.

Enjoy

Morning Guys

I'm looking to get a new laptop for xmas.

It will mainly be just for FM17 as I have desktop pc for the other stuff.

Budget isn't great probably £400 tops.

I'm not great with the technical jargon so was hoping you guys would help me out.

I have seen this one and was wondering if it's any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-X556UB-XX039T-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B01FE6HST0/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1480414268&sr=1-7

I would probably load England Scotland and Spain with large database

If this isn't up to running this set up could you guys point me towards ones that will..

Thanks in advance.

25 minutes ago, thnigelfc said:

Morning Guys

I'm looking to get a new laptop for xmas.

It will mainly be just for FM17 as I have desktop pc for the other stuff.

Budget isn't great probably £400 tops.

I'm not great with the technical jargon so was hoping you guys would help me out.

I have seen this one and was wondering if it's any good?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-X556UB-XX039T-15-6-Inch-Notebook-Black/dp/B01FE6HST0/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1480414268&sr=1-7

I would probably load England Scotland and Spain with large database

If this isn't up to running this set up could you guys point me towards ones that will..

Thanks in advance.

Will run your requirements fine. Could probably run quite a few more leagues with that tbh.

3 hours ago, Chuck_thered said:

Ok so as some of you may know im not the most computer savvy so im not sure this question will even make sense but if the decision simply came down to which one will run FM better would it be...

i5-6200u or i5-7200u?

Can anyone at all help me with this? how big of a difference is there in the 2 options?

Arrgghhhh I have been going round and round in circles so would really appreciate some advice.

Thought that I would have a budget of around £750 but now have only £450 and cannot work out what would run FM17 well.

Laptop would be used for FM17 and general web browsing.  FM17 I will play with around 4 leagues active and I like to watch the 3D at decent quality.

Initially wanted a smaller 13 inch laptop but now would go upto a 15.6 inch one.

Any help would be appreciated.  

16 hours ago, TangerineArmy said:

Ended up buying this acer just now. Has i5-7200u, 8GB DDR 4 and 256GB SSD. Was 499 but code CYBER15 took it to 424.

https://uk-store.acer.com/notebooks/everyday?optical_drive_type=1558&price=300-500&series=2760

Do you reckon this will run FM17 with a few leagues and a decent player database? Integrated graphics though so will 3D be a no no?

Hey, it'll run great... and that price is outstanding....

it will run 100k+ database and a dozen leagues no issue ( I had the same setup almost for a while).

And you'll run low to medium graphics fine... more if you fiddle and turn off the sky graphics etc.

Just now, Chuck_thered said:

So will i notice a huge difference in playing fm between the 2?

Not sure on how much a difference tbh, as I've never had any experience with the 6200u personally.. but having looked at benchmarks.. it looks like the difference is significant enough to go for the newer model

15 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Not sure on how much a difference tbh, as I've never had any experience with the 6200u personally.. but having looked at benchmarks.. it looks like the difference is significant enough to go for the newer model

Appreciated mate, one last thing someone a couple of pages back said an i5 will run fm better than the i7, that cant be true can it?

17 minutes ago, Chuck_thered said:

Appreciated mate, one last thing someone a couple of pages back said an i5 will run fm better than the i7, that cant be true can it?

In some cases yes... there are dozens of different specs of i5's and i7's...

A full powered top of the range i5 will easily out perform a lower end i7 for example.

5 minutes ago, olifreed said:

You'll see from this thread that I don't tend to answer that question as it's a classic 'how long is a piece of string?' question tbh...

How many leagues?  well how fast do you like to play the game? how big a database? how long do your saves last? etc.

But the processor is ok..   you'll  play fm fine.

But why spend more on a weaker system then those posted on this very page?

On 23/11/2016 at 17:10, Welshace said:

Been linked previously today..

But great price for this tbh:  http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-ay168sa-15-6-laptop-silver-10151313-pdt.html

So i bought the i5 version of this and when i load 4 nations and 8 leagues with a large database it says game speed is 2 stars, in your opinion does that sound right?

15 minutes ago, Chuck_thered said:

So i bought the i5 version of this and when i load 4 nations and 8 leagues with a large database it says game speed is 2 stars, in your opinion does that sound right?

Sounds about right ... Not sure why you are even looking at the stars but still ... how does it run?

It's still a U model cpu... and therefore ultra low powered... 

49 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Sounds about right ... Not sure why you are even looking at the stars but still ... how does it run?

It's still a U model cpu... and therefore ultra low powered... 

Do the stars not really matter? im not technical at all and a bit clueless with all of this lol

Just now, Chuck_thered said:

Do the stars not really matter? im not technical at all and a bit clueless with all of this lol

Not really... they are an indicator, and not really a useful one imo .....

Just see how it plays...

The best desktop pc i've ever encountered only had a 4.5 star rating when I tried loading a 250k database on it...

7 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Not really... they are an indicator, and not really a useful one imo .....

Just see how it plays...

The best desktop pc i've ever encountered only had a 4.5 star rating when I tried loading a 250k database on it...

I turned my laptop off for an hour turned it back on put on less leagues and nations and its now saying game speed is half a star, i really feel like ive done something wrong lol

22 hours ago, bennytee said:

yeah, sorry if that sounded a bit flippant.

It's an impressive rig, you've future-proofed yourself from a Football Manager perspective for many many years to come.

As a comparison I run 90% of all leagues with 160,00 players and mine is as follows

I5 4670k Overclocked to 4.3Ghz 16gb Ram and a GTX 760 

It may be what some people would describe as slow-ish but I just love the immersion that goes with a massive gameworld

My advice to you is to have a trial run with all the leagues and see how it is for you, it's a matter of taste I suppose.

Also you should seriously look into overclocking if you haven't already, it's not as hard or as daunting as it may at first seem and there are loads of great youtube tutorials out there to help you.

Enjoy

Great to hear & sounds like i've done the right thing. Will use your tips! :)

Have played FM for 15 years and have always played the game with a massive gameworld so we speak the same language hehe. 

When it comes to overclocking - long live Google & Youtube. 

Many thanks!!  

41 minutes ago, Chuck_thered said:

I turned my laptop off for an hour turned it back on put on less leagues and nations and its now saying game speed is half a star, i really feel like ive done something wrong lol

Yeah, the rating it gives it based on the load the pc has at that time you load the save... so if you had just switched it on and it was still loading some programs or if you were doing other things... the rating could be lower.

I'm currently using Dell Optiplex 980 (SFF) desktop machine and been running FM17 fairly ok.
3D match on Medium setting, Large database with 90k++ players count ==> Performance is not great though but still acceptable.

Specs:
-Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
-Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz
-NVIDIA NVS 315 1GB RAM
-8GB DDR3 RAM
-320GB harddisk

I don't need laptop for FM17, a mere desktop is sufficient since I only run FM17 at home.

Need some advice if I want to upgrade this desktop for a better FM17 performance overall. What would be an ideal specification for the upgrade...significant improvement but not too expensive.  Need to work on the budget.

Thanks in advance.

4 things you can immediately upgrade (depending on budget):

Processor - i7 6850K was the best I could see for "relatively" low cost ($500 :D) - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Upgrade the Graphics Card for better 3D - http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/best-graphics-cards-1291458 few on here for a decent price

Upgrade your RAM to DDR4 if possible

Buy a SSD and load windows/FM onto it.

21 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Ive ordered this, should be here Thursday by the looks of it, so will update with thoughts for anyone else tempted by the offer.

Despatched, so will get my hands on this tomorrow hopefully.

Probably need a cleanup of the junk they pre-install, but should be FM ready soonish.

Will be sad to take my current machine apart of sell it off for a fraction of what she cost... but thems the licks.

7 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

4 things you can immediately upgrade (depending on budget):

Processor - i7 6850K was the best I could see for "relatively" low cost ($500 :D) - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Upgrade the Graphics Card for better 3D - http://www.techradar.com/news/computing-components/graphics-cards/best-graphics-cards-1291458 few on here for a decent price

Upgrade your RAM to DDR4 if possible

Buy a SSD and load windows/FM onto it.

Obviously, this won't all necessarily work as you would need to ensure all the components are compatible with your current system/motherboard...and I would put money on these suggestions here not being so.

Picked up my new laptop today. FM looks TINY in 1920 x 1080 :D 3D is a huge improvement though and it did a holiday season with around 10 nations selected in around half an hour.

Also bought Cities: Skylines for a fiver on Steam, massive bargain!

Not getting too attached though as it has to go away until Christmas soon :(

25 minutes ago, nangaparbat said:

Just bought a top of the line XPS 15. Will this offer a significant increase in processing speed in game over my MBP 15 (mid 2013)?

Without looking into the specs of each system, it's hard to say..

But considering it's a mac vs pc... I'm willing to take the risk in saying that yes.. you will see a fairly significant performance boost.

4 hours ago, Lukecr1 said:

The last one my brother brought that one on Sunday and says FM runs like a machine haha he brought the Intel i7 one tho which is £499  @pcworld 

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Without looking into the specs of each system, it's hard to say..

But considering it's a mac vs pc... I'm willing to take the risk in saying that yes.. you will see a fairly significant performance boost.

XPS 15 is:

6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Quad Core (6M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)

32GB DDR4-2133MHz;

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M with 2GB GDDR5

vs 

16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

(2013)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

2 hours ago, martplfc1 said:

Picked up my new laptop today. FM looks TINY in 1920 x 1080 :D 3D is a huge improvement though and it did a holiday season with around 10 nations selected in around half an hour.

Also bought Cities: Skylines for a fiver on Steam, massive bargain!

Not getting too attached though as it has to go away until Christmas soon :(

Nice, glad you like it... shame it has to go away but we are in the countdown now, so not long to hold out.

I should get mine tomorrow and although the Mrs said its a Xmas pressie... its not getting wrapped, I'm hiding it :D

25 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

Nice, glad you like it... shame it has to go away but we are in the countdown now, so not long to hold out.

I should get mine tomorrow and although the Mrs said its a Xmas pressie... its not getting wrapped, I'm hiding it :D

It's December tomorrow - 25 days is nothing, right?! ?

I've put it back in the packaging and the box but it's not being wrapped either. I'm going to feed the missus the old 'you have to keep testing new laptops to break them in' line :D

It will definitely come out before Christmas again, but I'm getting absolutely nothing else so don't want to spoil it.

In the mean time I'm going to be looking at whether to buy a gaming mouse or controller, and a good laptop tray...I'm turning into a right sad bastard :D

Let us know how you get on with yours :thup:

Hi guys,

my laptop died on me the other day, so it's now time to get another one!

its years since I last bought a PC or laptop so a little out of touch for the best places to shop. It's going to be mainly used to access my home server and attach the odd HDD drive for testing. And obviously of course to run FM. I've been mainly using the iPad to play FM in the past two years but am thinking of going back to full fat FM.

The requirements for the laptop will be quite open, aside from I want something lightweight/small. Ideally 8GB RAM and 3ghz processor. But I'm realistic that my budget of around £300 is small (that does have a little flex) for the right things.

So then - where is best to shop?

On 30/11/2016 at 05:47, RJO said:

I'm currently using Dell Optiplex 980 (SFF) desktop machine and been running FM17 fairly ok.
3D match on Medium setting, Large database with 90k++ players count ==> Performance is not great though but still acceptable.

Specs:
-Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
-Intel Core i5-650 3.2GHz
-NVIDIA NVS 315 1GB RAM
-8GB DDR3 RAM
-320GB harddisk

I don't need laptop for FM17, a mere desktop is sufficient since I only run FM17 at home.

Need some advice if I want to upgrade this desktop for a better FM17 performance overall. What would be an ideal specification for the upgrade...significant improvement but not too expensive.  Need to work on the budget.

Thanks in advance.

i5-650 is socket LGA 1156 - if you can get an i7-875k and an aftermarket cooler you can probably overclock it (motherboard depending)

That GFX is pretty old, that could need replacing

I would suggest an SSD if your motherboard supports it.

Really I would consider getting a new machine, that's a 7 year old setup there.

Archived