New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8gb should be sufficient. However, never any harm in getting more RAM.

It can have a small effect. 

If you're building your own then RAM is relatively cheap. 

However, you don't need a massive amount, and unless you're photo editing or video editing then 16/32 gb could be wasteful.

Start with 8gb and if you need more just add it - it's the cheapest component.

I'd concentrate on the processor and graphics card (if you're going to play 3D)

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

8gb should be sufficient. However, never any harm in getting more RAM.

It can have a small effect. 

If you're building your own then RAM is relatively cheap. 

However, you don't need a massive amount, and unless you're photo editing or video editing then 16/32 gb could be wasteful.

Start with 8gb and if you need more just add it - it's the cheapest component.

Ok, thanks. I do some photo editing and like to run several programs simultaniously with FM. If its 8 gb for FM, then I probably should look at 16 gb minimum. My more modest current system apears to be on the verge of choking at times.

5 hours ago, Smurf said:

I'd concentrate on the processor and graphics card (if you're going to play 3D)

What do you think are some good for value higher end processors and graphics cards at the moment? How is FM with multiple processor cores? I vaguely remember reading that speed is more important than the nuber of cores.

13 hours ago, Tyrinko said:

Neither of them I would recommend - especially  for that money - are you stuck to Amazon? OR buy from anywhere?

Have a look at Novatech. They do not put bloatware on any of their computers and they provide lifelong technical assistance. Over time I’ve bought a desktop, a laptop and a load of extras from them and found the service to be very good. For the record I have no connection with them other than as a customer.

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Neither of them I would recommend - especially  for that money - are you stuck to Amazon? OR buy from anywhere?

Amazon isn't my preferent seller i am just looking for good deals - i've got about £500 for new laptop (+/- some pounds if it great deal). I am in England at the moment so i would prefer english sellers. Do you know about great notebook for this money??  Thanks 

8 minutes ago, Tyrinko said:

Amazon isn't my preferent seller i am just looking for good deals - i've got about £500 for new laptop (+/- some pounds if it great deal). I am in England at the moment so i would prefer english sellers. Do you know about great notebook for this money??  Thanks 

This is what I can find 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM969T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM969T_2145527.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.G66EK.004-Acer-Aspire-V15-in-Black_2095447.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

The one at 650 is the better of the 3.

The one for 580 has a slightly better processor - but not by much.

38 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Thanks a lot.  I will try one of them. Just asking - all of them will run FM without problems and 3D matches without issues? 

1 hour ago, S8sray said:

@Smurf need a new laptop mostly for FM and maybe a few low spec games was wondering if this would be any good for fm18 with a big database and a good few leagues, you seem to know what to look for so cheers in advance 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GDAEK.003-Acer-Aspire-F15-F5-573G_2186600.html

Or is this one much better for not that much more money

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JD21-068-MSI-Prestige-PL62-7RC-068UK-in-Sliver_2197296.html

@Smurf I didn't really want to spend over £450 but when I've had a look about can't really find much , will only really use it for FM but want plenty of leagues and a big database. So think I might have to pay more. If you could give me a few recommendations between £450-550 it would be much appreciated.

Not 100% related... But received my new laptop today... and now FM repeatedly sets me as being from the USA with MLS as the default league (as opposed to my usual EPL) any ideas on what I change on Windows 10 to sort this minor quibble..?

Me and google don't really get on....

@Smurf I'm wanting to buy a laptop as my current one has broke. I'd rather use LaptopsDirect if possible, or Saveonlaptops if people have used there before. I want to play FM in 3D, facepacks/logos and the like, whilst I also play AoE and other older games from time to time. FM, however, is my main game. Apart from that, I just scroll using facebook/twitter and for my uni work. 

My budget is 900 maximum. I've read that I will need a better processor (I7?) and an SSD is preferable. What you think?

14 hours ago, Boy_Wonda said:

Not 100% related... But received my new laptop today... and now FM repeatedly sets me as being from the USA with MLS as the default league (as opposed to my usual EPL) any ideas on what I change on Windows 10 to sort this minor quibble..?

Me and google don't really get on....

Probably should change your regional settings

Step 1: Go to Settings, then 'Time & language'

Step 2: Select 'Region and language' on the left navigation pane.

Step 3: Under 'Windows and apps might use your country or region to give you local content' select your new region.

2 hours ago, MichaelTonge said:

@Smurf I'm wanting to buy a laptop as my current one has broke. I'd rather use LaptopsDirect if possible, or Saveonlaptops if people have used there before. I want to play FM in 3D, facepacks/logos and the like, whilst I also play AoE and other older games from time to time. FM, however, is my main game. Apart from that, I just scroll using facebook/twitter and for my uni work. 

My budget is 900 maximum. I've read that I will need a better processor (I7?) and an SSD is preferable. What you think?

15 inch

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JB92-880-MSI-GP62MVR-7RFX(Leopard-Pro)-880UK_2185471.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-1293-MSI-GL62M-7REX-1293UK_2142279.html - more storage on main drive

17 inch

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/GL753VE-GC024T-ASUS-ROG-Strix-GL753VE-GC024T_2139755.html

Any of these are good and as you wanted :)

@Smurf thanks for all the advice you give out , I didn't have clue what to look for before reading this thread. Out of these 3 which would you go for and is there that much difference between them?

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ZX553VD-DM968T-ASUS-Gaming-ZX553VD-DM968T_2145526.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.G66EK.004-Acer-Aspire-V15-in-Black_2095447.html

Cheers in advance for all the replys you give out.

You might have other considerations - there's the Acer that has longer battery when not plugged in 

The Asus and MSI have no SSD drive, whereas not as important, it could sway you if you wanted an SSD.

Based on everything I see - the Acer would be my choice - but it's ulitmately up to you.

There's certainly not much to choose from.

7 hours ago, Smurf said:

Probably should change your regional settings

Step 1: Go to Settings, then 'Time & language'

Step 2: Select 'Region and language' on the left navigation pane.

Step 3: Under 'Windows and apps might use your country or region to give you local content' select your new region.

15 inch

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16JB92-880-MSI-GP62MVR-7RFX(Leopard-Pro)-880UK_2185471.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-1293-MSI-GL62M-7REX-1293UK_2142279.html - more storage on main drive

17 inch

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/GL753VE-GC024T-ASUS-ROG-Strix-GL753VE-GC024T_2139755.html

Any of these are good and as you wanted :)

I'm used to a 15'' so that's better for me. Do you think those would be able to play, say, 30-40 leagues with 80-95k players?

Fairly soon I will be getting a Coffee Lake i7 probably with a GTX 1080. Just wondering if any fellow member has a Scan 3XS lappy, or possibly a Asus ROG machine? Wondering a out the build quality mainly.

3 hours ago, MichaelTonge said:

I'm used to a 15'' so that's better for me. Do you think those would be able to play, say, 30-40 leagues with 80-95k players?

Not a bad price for the latter, but the new i5’s are faster than the 7700HQ. You will probably be better waiting for a bit for Asus to ship with 8th gen IMHO.

10 hours ago, Transk53 said:

Not a bad price for the latter, but the new i5’s are faster than the 7700HQ. You will probably be better waiting for a bit for Asus to ship with 8th gen IMHO.

You or Smurf got any recommendations if this is true? I'd want the best processor going (needs to be on laptopsdirect or saveonlaptops as I'm buying on finance).

2 minutes ago, MichaelTonge said:

You or Smurf got any recommendations if this is true? I'd want the best processor going (needs to be on laptopsdirect or saveonlaptops as I'm buying on finance).

Unfortunately not particularly. I have saved up a big budget for the best part of year for a desktop replacement, so not getting one just for the purpose of playing FM. Smurf is right above regarding that more is not necessarily better with system ram etc. As far as I understand it, FM is CPU tied still, so I would concentrate there. I am a seasoned engineer, not a FM player, so my adivce could be expensive minded.

My point about 8th gen is that laptops have a limited upgrade path, so if you buy a 7th gen (ie 7700), you are buying a step behind. However, for you that may not matter at all, but as I said the members above will no more about game requirements than me. My last FM game was 13, some five years ago. Hope I haven’t mucked your plans. 

Well 8th Feb are on the way. But it will probably mean a hike in price... but a drop in price for 7th gen 

I wouldn't wait around especially if you're limited by budget the I7 7700Hq is probably the best processor you can afford.

On 14/04/2018 at 09:07, MichaelTonge said:

Just one thing to add. If you are sticking with normal HD, IE. not the newer 4K screens, a GTX 1060/1070 will be more than good enough. Look out for deals as well. Some retailers like Overclockers will do 24 hour sales sometimes. Also the HP Omen are good machines too. Offer a decent balance overall.

On 13/04/2018 at 14:36, Smurf said:

You might have other considerations - there's the Acer that has longer battery when not plugged in 

The Asus and MSI have no SSD drive, whereas not as important, it could sway you if you wanted an SSD.

Based on everything I see - the Acer would be my choice - but it's ulitmately up to you.

There's certainly not much to choose from.

@Smurf sorry to bother you again. I've decided to up my budget a little to £650 after looking around best I could find was this https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html do you think anything else quoted before is better or any other recommendations for this price? . Or does this Acer look a good choice mate?

4 hours ago, Smurf said:

Well 8th Feb are on the way. But it will probably mean a hike in price... but a drop in price for 7th gen 

I wouldn't wait around especially if you're limited by budget the I7 7700Hq is probably the best processor you can afford.

No doubt. Some of the custom builders charging by the part will probably add a fair bit. Some of the big boys though probably won’t add too much. Of course though I am in the position of being able to wait, but I know from previous years how frustrating it is to forced from the pleasure of playing FM. Hence the need to purchase quickly. Going to be spending over two grand on mine, so I have done my reasearch and found that Scan with the 3xS systems are suiting me personally.

Hey guys, i’m finally going to buy a laptop with the i8 gens due out soon, had issues with a couple last year and couldn’t stand the gaming looks and red keyboards. Just want to know if a rpm matters if i have a ssd? looking for hybrid, thanks in advance 

13 hours ago, S8sray said:

@Smurf sorry to bother you again. I've decided to up my budget a little to £650 after looking around best I could find was this https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.GP8EK.002-Acer-Aspire-7-A715-71G-53HF_2283341.html do you think anything else quoted before is better or any other recommendations for this price? . Or does this Acer look a good choice mate?

Looks good

12 hours ago, Transk53 said:

No doubt. Some of the custom builders charging by the part will probably add a fair bit. Some of the big boys though probably won’t add too much. Of course though I am in the position of being able to wait, but I know from previous years how frustrating it is to forced from the pleasure of playing FM. Hence the need to purchase quickly. Going to be spending over two grand on mine, so I have done my reasearch and found that Scan with the 3xS systems are suiting me personally.

Yeh I'll be the same next year looking to spend 2-3k

9 hours ago, GM1903 said:

Hey guys, i’m finally going to buy a laptop with the i8 gens due out soon, had issues with a couple last year and couldn’t stand the gaming looks and red keyboards. Just want to know if a rpm matters if i have a ssd? looking for hybrid, thanks in advance 

For FM probably won't see huge gains in ssd. But you would for overall computer performance.

My order of selection would be

Processor

Graphics card

Hard drive

Ram

I'd spend as much as I could on the processor. I'd then look at the graphics card for 3D matches and other games if inclined.

Hard drive would be next big spend... then ram as its the cheapest component.

I'd be looking at

i8 xxxx K 

1080 or quadro

512gb ssd

16gb ram.

Total overkill for FM but I'm a graphic designer and need the power.

@Smurf

Bloody hell, I am also looking for a powerful laptop but isn’t 1060/1070 sufficent?

I was considering

1060 or 1070

i8 S series but i assume the K is the I9?

256-512 pcle or Nvme(which is best?) SSD

16gb ram

Then again i do have the money 2k could prob go to 2.5k seeing as laptops aren’t getting any cheaper and want mine to last a good 5 years or so

9 minutes ago, GM1903 said:

@Smurf

Bloody hell, I am also looking for a powerful laptop but isn’t 1060/1070 sufficent?

I was considering

1060 or 1070

i8 S series but i assume the K is the I9?

256-512 pcle or Nvme(which is best?) SSD

16gb ram

Then again i do have the money 2k could prob go to 2.5k seeing as laptops aren’t getting any cheaper and want mine to last a good 5 years or so

No, the k suffix means a unlocked multiplier for no restrictions on overclocking. The i9 is a new iteration of the Skylake X architecture. 10 core plus.

Yes 1060 or 1070 is a good chip and more than sufficient for FM.

9 hours ago, Tyrinko said:

Just quick question. I found this one https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-envy-x360-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-amd-radeon-v-a1-2ph22ea/version.asp
Is it good enought for FM18 with 3D matches and some addons??? Is it touch screen playing FM just my idea or reality??? Thanks

I would say that would be an expensive ornament

11 hours ago, Tyrinko said:

Just quick question. I found this one https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/refurbished-hp-envy-x360-amd-ryzen-5-2500u-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-amd-radeon-v-a1-2ph22ea/version.asp
Is it good enought for FM18 with 3D matches and some addons??? Is it touch screen playing FM just my idea or reality??? Thanks

Doesn’t meet minimum specs I believe. Need a base clock speed of 2. 2 Ghz. This looks to be just under, even with AMD’s version of Turbo Boost. That what it looks to me. Also as Smurf, that is expensive for a refurb.

33 minutes ago, RedJonnyBoy said:

I was wondering if you guys thought that a i7 6700 with a GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC gpu would be good enough to play Fm18 while streaming to twitch? 

Thanks in advance. 

I've never used twitch. But it sounds like a good setup. I couldn't really see any issues as long as you have good upload speeds on your broadband.

11 minutes ago, MichaelTonge said:

@Smurf you got any recommendations for laptops that are similar to the ones suggested but less 'gamer' laptops? Thanks in advance

I'll have to come back to this as I'm away on holidays at the moment and no access to my laptop.

5 hours ago, RedJonnyBoy said:

I was wondering if you guys thought that a i7 6700 with a GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC gpu would be good enough to play Fm18 while streaming to twitch? 

Thanks in advance. 

Should think so. I would regually stream from Youtube in the background while playing a game on the ME. The only issue I ever had was a slight sound drop out when the ME took over. However, I was the only one streaming in my flat, if you are in a house with multiple devices like consoles and such like, you may get a bit of buffering or whatever. But no, that i7 6700 still a very nice chip. 

Archived