New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

vor einer Stunde schrieb Muslera6746:

MD62600 Medion Akoya S6426 (599 € / 527,88 Pounds)

Intel® Core™ i5-8250U processor

Windows 10 Home

39,6 cm (15,6″) Full HD Display with IPS-technology

128 GB SSD

1000 GB hard disc

8 GB DDR4 RAM

Dolby Audio™ 

or

HP 250 G6 3VJ75ES (499 € / 439,76 Pound)

Display: 39,6 cm (15,6 Zoll) Entspiegelter FHD

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-7200U Prozessor (bis zu 3,10 GHz mit Intel® Turbo-Boost-Technik 2.0, 3 MB Intel® Cache)

RAM: 8 GB DDR4 RAM

hard disc: 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD

Graphic: Intel® HD-graphic card 620

Anschlüsse: 2x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1x USB 2.0, 1x HDMI 1.4b, 1x VGA, 1x RJ-45, 1x Kopfhörer/Mikrofon kombiniert, 1x Netzanschluss, Speicherkartenleser Unterstützt SD, SDHC, SDXC

Wireless: Intel 1x1 AC, BT 4.2

Webcam: VGA Webcam

operating system: Windows 10 Home 64 bit

battery: Li-Ion-battery, 3 Zellen, 31 Wh, bis zu 12 hours

weight: ca. 1,86 kg

Which one would you prefer ?

Anyone ?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm looking at buying a custom built PC soon and I was wondering at which point do the upgrades start returning diminishing returns in terms of how fast FM 19 will play.

E.g. i7-8700K vs i9-9900K, 16GB vs 32GB DDR4/3000mhz RAM 

I won't touch upon GPU because I know FM doesn't require crazy GPU specs.

Very interested to hear people's thoughts on this (let's say cost was no issue for the sake of this discussion).

It all depends on how you like to play FM, if you load all default competitions or more & change the settings to run them in full detail then more cores is always better so get the best i9 you can afford but if your usual setup is to leave processing at the default settings then you start to experience significant diminishing returns on cost once you move beyond an i5-9600K.

17 minutes ago, judicious said:

I'm looking at buying a custom built PC soon and I was wondering at which point do the upgrades start returning diminishing returns in terms of how fast FM 19 will play.

E.g. i7-8700K vs i9-990K, 16GB vs 32GB DDR4/3000mhz RAM 

I won't touch upon GPU because I know FM doesn't require crazy GPU specs.

Very interested to hear people's thoughts on this (let's say cost was no issue for the sake of this discussion).

Do you mean th 9900k? 

The 9900k is the fastest single processor. For FM single core performance is very important. Anything that happens in multi-thread happens so quick anyway that it hardly makes a difference. 

Having more RAM is a no-brainer - more RAM the better. FM does refer to RAM for certain functions, so having more is always a good choice. 

However, an i7-8700k with 16gb RAM 3000mhz - would be massive for FM and at a much lesser cost. But if money was no object, then why not go for 64gb RAM? 

This is a list the SI team said they reference in terms of processors - the higher up the better
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

The full note:

On 15/11/2017 at 17:06, Neil Brock said:

I spoke to someone and this is the jist of what he and I came to:

For how the game uses threads - it will create as many threads for playing matches and shortlisting as you have cores (including hyperthreads).

But the performance you see varies on the setup for example with matches - Quick Matches for instance (so for loaded but non-managed in leagues) it's are so fast anyway it gets to the point where it doesn't make that much more difference having more cores.

If you use detail level to set more stuff to full match you'll start seeing betters gains for more cores, but of course will still be slower than by just not having the league loaded, or having it at a low detail level.

Similar sort of thing with shortlisting the more / leagues players you have loaded the more benefits you can potentially see with more cores, however this is probably more than offset by the general slowdown from having more stuff loading as there's still a large portion of the game which is single threaded. 

In regards to best processors, as a general guide we tend to suggest using the following comparison site as a good gauge of the performance capabilities - https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html 

Basic rule of thumb is the higher it is on the list, the better it is. You can edit it to show processors for desktops and also those that are considered 'archived' via the restriction options. 

Hope some of this is of use. 

47 minutes ago, Smurf said:

Do you mean th 9900k? 

The 9900k is the fastest single processor. For FM single core performance is very important. Anything that happens in multi-thread happens so quick anyway that it hardly makes a difference. 

Having more RAM is a no-brainer - more RAM the better. FM does refer to RAM for certain functions, so having more is always a good choice. 

However, an i7-8700k with 16gb RAM 3000mhz - would be massive for FM and at a much lesser cost. But if money was no object, then why not go for 64gb RAM? 

This is a list the SI team said they reference in terms of processors - the higher up the better
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmark-List.2436.0.html

The full note:

Yes - apologies I missed a 0.

I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is how much faster will it be to go for the 9900K over an 8700K? is it worth spending another £150 or will the difference be negligible.

Same goes for the RAM; of course more is better but will 64GB be a massive improvement over 32GB or will there be a point when the differences aren't so great.

i.e. is there a performance ceiling for FM or is completely open-ended?

15 minutes ago, judicious said:

I guess what I'm trying to ascertain is how much faster will it be to go for the 9900K over an 8700K? is it worth spending another £150 or will the difference be negligible.

Same goes for the RAM; of course more is better but will 64GB be a massive improvement over 32GB or will there be a point when the differences aren't so great.

I doubt going over 16gb would make a difference.  But I don't know I have never tested it.

And it's impossible to tell how the processor will hold up. Technically overall the i7 is better and faster - it's just the i9 is faster in the single core. 

I think there's a few benchmarks for the i7 in the benchmark thread. 

But seen as comparison sites will compare and pick the i7 - for FM it's a different beast, relies heavily on the single core performance, so the i9 would be better for FM - but overall not as a good as the i7. 

It's too hard to know.

12 minutes ago, Smurf said:

I doubt going over 16gb would make a difference.  But I don't know I have never tested it.

And it's impossible to tell how the processor will hold up. Technically overall the i7 is better and faster - it's just the i9 is faster in the single core. 

I think there's a few benchmarks for the i7 in the benchmark thread. 

But seen as comparison sites will compare and pick the i7 - for FM it's a different beast, relies heavily on the single core performance, so the i9 would be better for FM - but overall not as a good as the i7. 

It's too hard to know.

Thanks mate.

I was intrigued by your comments regarding the i7 being the better CPU overall so had a look at the below benchmark:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/4028vs3937

Looks like the i9 is better even with quad-core and multi-core?

I’m looking for a fairly cheap (say £600 or less) laptop that can run well using a fairly large database. Something that is just a fairly simple laptop, as long as I can play FM without too many interruptions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, judicious said:

Thanks mate.

I was intrigued by your comments regarding the i7 being the better CPU overall so had a look at the below benchmark:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i9-9900K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-8700K/4028vs3937

Looks like the i9 is better even with quad-core and multi-core?

Well there's only 25 users benchmarks vs 143,547 ... 

Hardly a fair comparison. 

Actually - made a balls of my comparison - and the i9 is superior in almost every way.

Hi, has anyone tried running FM19 with these graphics specs (or similar)?: 

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

...which are below the minimum stated on Steam. I'm not fussed about 3D, I play in 2D anyway, but I'd like to check the game will run?

Thanks

On 23/10/2018 at 11:41, judicious said:

An important, yet often neglected consideration is for how many years you plan to have a laptop into the future.

My four-year old ASUS ROG G760JW, i7 4600HQ, 16Gb RAM, GeForce GTX765, 1T HD,  still runs FM19 just fine, to the point that my next laptop will be, to a good extent, just for vanity reasons.

What are peoples experiences with HP Omen?

Saw this in store at currys - HP OMEN 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1060 Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD - £899.99

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-omen-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1060-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182278-pdt.html

Not sure if this is a good price. Would like to play some games in 3d too

Also, i got a question on saveonlaptops.co.uk, the site people post here. Are these new laptops they sell? Just want to make sure they are not re-furbished. Would people prefer to buy online from them or from pc world/currys?

9 hours ago, bboy said:

What are peoples experiences with HP Omen?

Saw this in store at currys - HP OMEN 15.6" Intel® Core™ i5 GTX 1060 Gaming Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 128 GB SSD - £899.99

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-omen-15-6-intel-core-i5-gtx-1060-gaming-laptop-1-tb-hdd-128-gb-ssd-10182278-pdt.html

Not sure if this is a good price. Would like to play some games in 3d too

Also, i got a question on saveonlaptops.co.uk, the site people post here. Are these new laptops they sell? Just want to make sure they are not re-furbished. Would people prefer to buy online from them or from pc world/currys?

That's a nice spec laptop. Personally, I don't like them as the WASD keys are different colours - but that's a personal choice.

Anyone having a go at the Beta on a Macbook ?

Both 17 and 18 was unplayable on my Macbook Pro 2015 without GPU, when Retina was turned on. When Retina was of it was playable and quite fast. Tried in both MacOS and Bootcamp Windows 10.

Looking into getting a new Macbook but is going a bit left and right between Macbook Pro 13/15 inch and a Surface Book which is my current work laptop.

The plus side of the Macbook Pro 13" is the portability and I dont play any other games than FM, the 15" has the GPU, but would imagine that the CPU is still doing the hard work. The Surface is a very nice Windows machine with touch screen. 

23 minutes ago, Ramsdal03 said:

Anyone having a go at the Beta on a Macbook ?

Both 17 and 18 was unplayable on my Macbook Pro 2015 without GPU, when Retina was turned on. When Retina was of it was playable and quite fast. Tried in both MacOS and Bootcamp Windows 10.

Looking into getting a new Macbook but is going a bit left and right between Macbook Pro 13/15 inch and a Surface Book which is my current work laptop.

The plus side of the Macbook Pro 13" is the portability and I dont play any other games than FM, the 15" has the GPU, but would imagine that the CPU is still doing the hard work. The Surface is a very nice Windows machine with touch screen. 

You must have a massive budget. And if you do why are going for sub par machines? 

The MSI below has a 512gb ssd - same as the mac book pro 15 inch starting at £2699
T
he MSI below has 32gb RAM the Mac has 16gb to bring it up to 32gb RAM it now costs £3059
The MSI below has a superior graphics card - you can't even change the Graphics card on the macbook pro. 
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-Pro-560-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070-Mobile

The MSI below weighs 1.8kg - and the MacBook Pro weighs the exact same.

The MSI below is £2329

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16Q211-010-MSI-GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RF-010UK_2322962.html

Unless you have specifics for your laptop being a Mac?

6 hours ago, Smurf said:

You must have a massive budget. And if you do why are going for sub par machines? 

The MSI below has a 512gb ssd - same as the mac book pro 15 inch starting at £2699
T
he MSI below has 32gb RAM the Mac has 16gb to bring it up to 32gb RAM it now costs £3059
The MSI below has a superior graphics card - you can't even change the Graphics card on the macbook pro. 
http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-Pro-560-vs-GeForce-GTX-1070-Mobile

The MSI below weighs 1.8kg - and the MacBook Pro weighs the exact same.

The MSI below is £2329

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16Q211-010-MSI-GS65-Stealth-Thin-8RF-010UK_2322962.html

Unless you have specifics for your laptop being a Mac?

Would prefer it to be honest. Have been with Apple since 2010 and the MacOS has it advantages for other stuff I use my laptop for. FM17 and FM18 just didn't run well on MacOS. But not sub par machines just looking into getting either the 13", 15" or Surface Book for private use :)

3 hours ago, Ramsdal03 said:

Would prefer it to be honest. Have been with Apple since 2010 and the MacOS has it advantages for other stuff I use my laptop for. FM17 and FM18 just didn't run well on MacOS. But not sub par machines just looking into getting either the 13", 15" or Surface Book for private use :)

It's a collosal waste of money and your FM experience won't be much better. 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Smurf:

It's a collosal waste of money and your FM experience won't be much better. 

@Ramsdal03

Macs are really great for a lot of things, but they are not gaming computers.

I think FM 19 runs a lot smoother on macbooks and it runs fantastic on my iMac.

One problem with macbooks is the noisy fan, but there is a software solutions for it:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

4 minutes ago, KUBI said:

@Ramsdal03

Macs are really great for a lot of things, but they are not gaming computers.

I think FM 19 runs a lot smoother on macbooks and it runs fantastic on my iMac.

One problem with macbooks is the noisy fan, but there is a software solutions for it:

https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

Yeh they're great machines, just not for games. 

I use Mac and Windows computers everyday. 

I've a PC that kicks the Macs arse and it was half it's price. 

Hi. Iam looking to buy a new acer predator helios 500 but the only one left in stock anywhere is the one with the amd ryzen chip.I read somewhere that amd chips run fm slower than intel ones.is this accurate and how much difference will it make to fm 19?Should i just wait for the intel models to come back into  stock.Id like to play with a large number of leagues loaded with a large database.Also any advice on how these machines compare would be great if anyone knows.

VIBOX Precision 13 Gaming PC Computer with War Thunder Game Voucher, Windows 10 OS (3.9GHz AMD A4 Dual-Core Processor, Nvidia GeForce GT 710 Graphics Card, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, 1TB HDD)

Would anybody recommend this as being a good fast gaming laptop? Any Suggestions?

10 hours ago, ferrazuk said:

Hi. Iam looking to buy a new acer predator helios 500 but the only one left in stock anywhere is the one with the amd ryzen chip.I read somewhere that amd chips run fm slower than intel ones.is this accurate and how much difference will it make to fm 19?Should i just wait for the intel models to come back into  stock.Id like to play with a large number of leagues loaded with a large database.Also any advice on how these machines compare would be great if anyone knows.

Depends on the AMD processor model number.

10 hours ago, FMKing20 said:

VIBOX Precision 13 Gaming PC Computer with War Thunder Game Voucher, Windows 10 OS (3.9GHz AMD A4 Dual-Core Processor, Nvidia GeForce GT 710 Graphics Card, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, 1TB HDD)

Would anybody recommend this as being a good fast gaming laptop? Any Suggestions?

Depends on the AMD processor model number.

1 hour ago, SIR J said:

What is the cheapest laptop that would run FM19. My laptop is knackered but can’t afford an expensive gaming laptop. Any help would be really appreciated. 

Prices appear to be on the rise - https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J962-2073-MSI-GL62M-7RDX-2073UK_2245212.html

That's the best I can find that I would recommend for FM. 

4 minutes ago, SIR J said:

Is the processor important someone mentioned to me in work that an intel core i7 is ideal? I’m not worried about 3D as I’m old school so graphics doesn’t bother me. 

Would this work? 

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-core-i7-laptops?sortOrder=1&pageNumber=1

That laptop is circa 9 years old. Most laptops have a shelf life of 5-8 years. 

Draw a conclusion there.

10 hours ago, SIR J said:

Thank you for your reply. Is i7 what I should be aiming for or is i5 acceptable? 

It's not that an i7 is better, you have been grossly misinformed. Any modern i5 I pick would easlly thrash the i7 you posted. 

An i5 would be fine - but you need to look for HQ at the end of the processor name.

And severely increase your budget to circa £600.

10 hours ago, chumpmanager said:

Go for the HP omen

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for new laptop for FM19. 

My budget is £450. 

I don't play in 3d, only 2d. 

I will play with a small database - 2-3 leagues. 

From reading this thread I've seen that 8gb of RAM and an i5 processor with a 2.2ghz or higher base speed should be adequate for what I want. 

I've seen these laptops, will they be a decent option for my requirements? And will any of these be particularly better than the others, or all quite similar in performance? Or are there any other suggestions? 

Thanks in advance. 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/4WV73ESABU-HP-240-G6_2406139.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.EFHEK.017-Acer-Extensa-15-2540_2317525.html#DetailTop

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-silver-10180959-pdt.html

https://www.ebuyer.com/805720-hp-250-g6-i5-laptop-2sy46es-2sy46es-abu

19 hours ago, osta666 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for new laptop for FM19. 

My budget is £450. 

I don't play in 3d, only 2d. 

I will play with a small database - 2-3 leagues. 

From reading this thread I've seen that 8gb of RAM and an i5 processor with a 2.2ghz or higher base speed should be adequate for what I want. 

I've seen these laptops, will they be a decent option for my requirements? And will any of these be particularly better than the others, or all quite similar in performance? Or are there any other suggestions? 

Thanks in advance. 

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/4WV73ESABU-HP-240-G6_2406139.html

https://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/NX.EFHEK.017-Acer-Extensa-15-2540_2317525.html#DetailTop

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-intel-core-i5-laptop-128-gb-ssd-silver-10180959-pdt.html

https://www.ebuyer.com/805720-hp-250-g6-i5-laptop-2sy46es-2sy46es-abu

Pushed i would go for the third one. But you will need an external drive there is very little storage.

Others are roughly the same. For an extra 150 you would do much better.

Archived