New Laptop/PC- Help Needed

16 minutes ago, mikelfc8 said:

Hi, is this an okay thread to ask about graphics cards?

I am considering getting a graphics card for my desktop PC.

Processor - AMD A10-Series A10-7860K 3600 MHz

Motherboard - ASUS A88XM-A

Graphics - Integrated graphics GPU Type: Radeon R7 series

Ram - 8Gb (also upping soon to 12 or 16)

I don't want to spend a fortune as FM is the only game I play and I can get a decent experience on low at the moment. £100 max, and would happily consider secondhand.

Could I get something that would significantly (subjective, I know, sorry) improve FM2017 graphics for that kind of outlay or do you have to spend much more to get a major improvement?

For example, Game Debate recommended this - Radeon HD 6850 DirectCU Edition - to improve my FM 17 experience.

I realise it will be difficult to be precise but I have zero experience with graphics cards so I'm just hoping for some ballpark -type pointers.

Cheers folks.

Well , You could obviously get a dedicated card, but honestly, The apu  you have is pretty damn good already really, and will run fm fine.. I certainly wouldn't be looking to spend £100 just to make fm play a little better in the graphics area...

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Welshace,

1) How effective/sufficient would: a) Intel Core i3-4005U; b) i3-5005U; c) i5-4200U; d) i5-5200U e) i5-6200U processors be for running FM and simultaneous web-browing, watching videos etc? I appreciate e) is probably the better of the 5 but would all/any suffice?

2) Would AMD A6/A8 processors generally be sufficient enough for the above requirements? Would you be able to rule out A6 processors, for example, as not good enough?

I appreciate it's probably difficult to give a blanket answer for these, but in very general terms and for most cases, any answer would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

@jtasker Hi fella... all of the above listed should play fm to some half decent degree... and as you expect, as you go from A -E in your list, you get better... as for multitasking.. again, it would depend exactly how much you are going to be doing in terms of browsing, streaming etc along with how big your fm game will be.. so as you say, hard to judger really..

golden rule is always get the best processor you can afford.

The 960m has DDR5 over the 950m's DDR3 ..  which means  faster memory bandwidth.. although in some circumstances the 950 does better, the 960 is almost always better... including in fm's case I believe.

And yes, the HQ is more than enough for FM without going ultra high end.

41 minutes ago, Welshace said:

@jtasker Hi fella... all of the above listed should play fm to some half decent degree... and as you expect, as you go from A -E in your list, you get better... as for multitasking.. again, it would depend exactly how much you are going to be doing in terms of browsing, streaming etc along with how big your fm game will be.. so as you say, hard to judger really..

golden rule is always get the best processor you can afford.

Thanks.

I guess my problem is that I don't know what makes one processor better than another.

In your opinion, where do AMD A6/A8 rank vs the Intel processors I listed? And which do you think would run FM more quickly & smoothly: Intel Pentium 2.5GHz or i5-5200U 2.2GHz? Or AMD quad core processors?

Thanks again.

4 minutes ago, jtasker said:

Thanks.

I guess my problem is that I don't know what makes one processor better than another.

In your opinion, where do AMD A6/A8 rank vs the Intel processors I listed? And which do you think would run FM more quickly & smoothly: Intel Pentium 2.5GHz or i5-5200U 2.2GHz? Or AMD quad core processors?

Thanks again.

I'm completely biased as I despise AMD processors... might be better off waiting for someone else to answer that one for you tbh.. and I admit, my knowledge on AMD isn't completely up to date.  

That said, and taking into account that what I say is purely a partially educated guess, but I believe the A6/A8 range to rank beside intels i3's at best...

I see them as brilliant cheap workhorses that combine processors with a gpu ( read: APU) .. and they do that extremely well..they share bandwidth and processing power between them.

As for what makes one processor better than another, it can be any number of things... 

As an example (and forgive me other mods for the car analogy) but  if you buy a car, there is no point getting a v12 monster engine if the rest of the components and parts aren't up to scratch.. you'll get bottlenecking, the same can be said of cpu's... clock speed is king, but if memory bandwidth and general architecture are poor, you still get low end cpu's...

Best best is to crosscheck each cpu against several online benchmarks which can easily be found.

6 minutes ago, Welshace said:

I'm completely biased as I despise AMD processors... might be better off waiting for someone else to answer that one for you tbh.. and I admit, my knowledge on AMD isn't completely up to date.  

That said, and taking into account that what I say is purely a partially educated guess, but I believe the A6/A8 range to rank beside intels i3's at best...

I see them as brilliant cheap workhorses that combine processors with a gpu ( read: APU) .. and they do that extremely well..they share bandwidth and processing power between them.

Thanks.

So generally Intel would be better for FM. But are Celeron and Pentium Dual core processors sufficient? And would a higher GHz (2.5) then make a Pentium processor better than an i5 (2.2), for example, given that SI state 2.2GHz is a minimum requirement to run FM?

edit: would this laptop run FM smoothly and quickly without a problem?

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-akoya-e6421-core-i5-6200u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-30020525/version.asp

Yes that laptop would run fm with little issue .. 

You have to bare in mind the age of the processors too... newer cpu's mean newer architecture and design which in turn means better efficiency etc.. that 6200u for instance is rated at 2.3,ghz but will boost up to 2.8 (?) i think? when needed. 

Seriously, go check online benchmarks... easily done by googling  cpu1 vs cpu2 in google

2 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Yes that laptop would run fm with little issue .. 

You have to bare in mind the age of the processors too... newer cpu's mean newer architecture and design which in turn means better efficiency etc.. that 6200u for instance is rated at 2.3,ghz but will boost up to 2.8 (?) i think? when needed. 

Seriously, go check online benchmarks... easily done by googling  cpu1 vs cpu2 in google

thank you for your advice for myself and others, highly valued.

5 hours ago, Welshace said:

I still remember when AMD were the kings and everyone worth his salt was using AMD CPUs. That must of been 12 years ago or so now. They just haven't been able to keep up since. 

I've seen links for places like laptopsdirect.co.uk & saveonlaptops.co.uk on this thread- would anyone recommend any other online retailers for laptops?

Also, would it be worth waiting for Black Friday for good deals or are savings not really that significant on that day?

Thanks.

Hi,

I've just bought http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-17-7779-2-in-1-laptop/pd?oc=cn77903&model_id=inspiron-17-7779-2-in-1-laptop and realised it's a 2 core processor 7th generation i7. My current inspiron is a 3rd generation i7-3630qm 2.4ghz quad core processor. Would I notice any difference in performance with a quad core to a 2 core with a game like fm? I am assuming the spec of that laptop is more than good enough to play fm anyway? I also wanted to ask if the graphics card is good enough to run the 3d match engine at the highest settings?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, first post and all that... I'm interest to know about the laptop I currently use.. HP using AMD E2 - 1800 APU. 

As you can guess, this is all I know. is there an obvious reason that fm 2016 runs super slow?? what do I need to look at to improve...

Thanks in advance

I am far from technically fluent so this is just a layman's opinion, but I have been playing both FM16 and 17 recently with a deliberately data intensive set up - all top divisions playable plus top 4 in England and 100k plus players - and my AMD A10-Series A10-7860K is chugging along nicely. I've no idea how far it will go and still be a playable game as I've only gone 2 seasons max (on 16) so far, but it's slick, quick and great fun at the moment.

Of course processing/game play speed is subjective and I am sure there are really solid reasons for going down the Intel route (I probably will in the future given some of the advice in here and elsewhere). I just wanted to say that it is possible to have a good experience on FM with AMD if that's what you happen to have.

I do, however, fully bow to the gods of tech, whose knowledge I respect and guidance I will always welcome.:)

Hi, bit of a dunce when it comes to laptop specs, but my old one (an ASUS X550C, Intel i7, 4GB of RAM) has just breathed its last, and I could use a verdict on the suitability of either of these (don't particularly want to spend more than five tonne). I use the 3D match engine and the higher the level of graphics detail I can use with the match still running smoothly, and the quicker results process etc., the better, obviously:

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (£449.99)

• Intel® Core™ i5-6200U Processor
  • RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB HDD

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5000-15-6-laptop-black-10146383-pdt.html

Lenovo IdeaPad 510 (£499.99)

• Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-510-15-6-laptop-black-10146352-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Given equal specs besides, I assume the Lenovo with its dedicated graphics card would perform better in terms of the visual aspect of the game (not that FM places great demands in that respect), but I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, glasgowceltic said:

Just ordered alienware r5 desktop, 

Intel core i7 6700 (4ghz something)

Nvidia geforce gtx 950

8gb ddr4

Windows10 64 bit

Hoping, for the first time, I'll be able to load 10 plus leagues? Anyone any experience with this equip?

I think you will be able to load more than 10 leagues with that rig. :)

So, after last night's MacBook announcement, after 8 years away, it looks like I'm heading back to a Windows PC of some description. 

Aside from playing FM (which I never play with 3D matches; I'm still a 'text-only' antiquarian), I do a heck of a lot of photo/video editing. So graphics card is a must for me. 

I'm edging towards this: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7566-laptop/pd?oc=cn56603&model_id=inspiron-15-7566-laptop , but as I'm so out of touch with PC manufacturers nowadays, just wondering what people think of Dell as much as this specific laptop. I can't seem to find anything of equivalent spec for a similar price. 

Obviously, as I was budgeting to replace my MacBook Pro with another Mac, I do have a bit more money to play with if necessary (though not the budget for the new MacBook Pro :eek: :stop:), but I get the feeling this is a decent machine for the cost?

(and I could no way go back to a mechanical hard drive full time, must be an SSD in new machine somewhere!)

12 hours ago, Maleven said:

Hi, bit of a dunce when it comes to laptop specs, but my old one (an ASUS X550C, Intel i7, 4GB of RAM) has just breathed its last, and I could use a verdict on the suitability of either of these (don't particularly want to spend more than five tonne). I use the 3D match engine and the higher the level of graphics detail I can use with the match still running smoothly, and the quicker results process etc., the better, obviously:

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 (£449.99)

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5000-15-6-laptop-black-10146383-pdt.html

Lenovo IdeaPad 510 (£499.99)

• Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-510-15-6-laptop-black-10146352-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Given equal specs besides, I assume the Lenovo with its dedicated graphics card would perform better in terms of the visual aspect of the game (not that FM places great demands in that respect), but I'm pretty clueless.

Thanks.

Sounds about right to me. I'd probably side with the first one as: firstly it's Dell; that battery life will probably come in very useful; and it's cheaper! 

I'm not one who's bothered about graphics though.

It's probably been asked loads of times, What area do I need to look at to make sure i can run plenty of leagues at one time? 

I can run a good number already, but as always I want to run more at a quicker pace so i can have a more immersive experience, would simply upgrading the ram by 8gb do that? 

MSI CX61 Haswell, Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Haswell Quad Core Processor, 15.6" HD Screen, Microsoft Windows 8 64bit, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1000GB HDD, DVD-RW, Dedicated GT 740M 2GB Graphics, HDMI, Bluetooth, USB3, CX61 2OD-225UK,  

5 hours ago, aj2kuk said:

So, after last night's MacBook announcement, after 8 years away, it looks like I'm heading back to a Windows PC of some description. 

Aside from playing FM (which I never play with 3D matches; I'm still a 'text-only' antiquarian), I do a heck of a lot of photo/video editing. So graphics card is a must for me. 

I'm edging towards this: http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-7566-laptop/pd?oc=cn56603&model_id=inspiron-15-7566-laptop , but as I'm so out of touch with PC manufacturers nowadays, just wondering what people think of Dell as much as this specific laptop. I can't seem to find anything of equivalent spec for a similar price. 

Obviously, as I was budgeting to replace my MacBook Pro with another Mac, I do have a bit more money to play with if necessary (though not the budget for the new MacBook Pro :eek: :stop:), but I get the feeling this is a decent machine for the cost?

(and I could no way go back to a mechanical hard drive full time, must be an SSD in new machine somewhere!)

The new MBP is SOOO disappointing. I was waiting for it but I took the plunge the day before the announcement and I'm glad I did. I've been researching laptops for a week.

If you want a laptop that's basically the same as a MBP but more powerful I'd look at the Razer laptops. They have the ability further down the line to connect a GPU externally.

The laptop that you linked is very good for the price although they did have £100 off which run out 2 days ago which, would of made the base model £699. The only thing that put me off with that machine was the weight which I deemed quite heavy but I tend to use my laptop in bed on my knee. 

The best laptops for £1000 or under with dedicated GPU are:

Razer Blade Stealth (graphics aren't amazing but can buy the external GPU at a later date)

Lenovo Y700

Acer V5 Nitro

The dell you listed

Personally I decided I only wanted to spend as little as I could and bought an Acer Aspire here http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-aspire-f5-573g-intelcore-i5-6200u-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-950m-nx.gd6ek.002/version.asp I only paid £580 from Very as I made a new account which gave 10% off when using credit. I paid it off straight away with no interest

I am hoping that someone can help me with some advice.

I am in the market for a 13inch laptop.  

I am prepared to pay upto £1000 although anything cheaper than that would be a big bonus.

I will mainly be using the laptop for web browsing, working on MS Office applications and of course playing Football Manager 2017.  I am looking for something that can handle the 3D engine with medium/high graphics on.  

I am only interested in a 13 inch machine as need something that is lightweight and portable.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hello everyone , looking for a laptop/pc that will run say all the main nations down to second leagues probably the league i manage in as only playable rest view only, want it to run as fast as possible with 3d match engine on high/med is it worth me buying a gaming pc/laptop as ill only really be playing fm17 on it and browsing and watching movies etc, i have a budget of £1000 could go higher if needed but is it worth my whe spending the money when i just want it to run fm fast 

4 hours ago, FreddyGuarin16 said:

It's probably been asked loads of times, What area do I need to look at to make sure i can run plenty of leagues at one time? 

I can run a good number already, but as always I want to run more at a quicker pace so i can have a more immersive experience, would simply upgrading the ram by 8gb do that? 

MSI CX61 Haswell, Intel® Core™ i7-4702MQ Haswell Quad Core Processor, 15.6" HD Screen, Microsoft Windows 8 64bit, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1000GB HDD, DVD-RW, Dedicated GT 740M 2GB Graphics, HDMI, Bluetooth, USB3, CX61 2OD-225UK,  

Cpu is king for fast processing in the game... 8GB ram is sufficient... you could another 8 if you plan to multitask while playing..

3 minutes ago, dannyrefc said:

Hello everyone , looking for a laptop/pc that will run say all the main nations down to second leagues probably the league i manage in as only playable rest view only, want it to run as fast as possible with 3d match engine on high/med is it worth me buying a gaming pc/laptop as ill only really be playing fm17 on it and browsing and watching movies etc, i have a budget of £1000 could go higher if needed but is it worth my whe spending the money when i just want it to run fm fast 

If only for fm or something.. £1000 is certainly overkill... look at 600-700 to basically run the game with your fm specs.

2 hours ago, Kamy said:

I am hoping that someone can help me with some advice.

I am in the market for a 13inch laptop.  

I am prepared to pay upto £1000 although anything cheaper than that would be a big bonus.

I will mainly be using the laptop for web browsing, working on MS Office applications and of course playing Football Manager 2017.  I am looking for something that can handle the 3D engine with medium/high graphics on.  

I am only interested in a 13 inch machine as need something that is lightweight and portable.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Hi,

That budget is certainly overkill for your needs... that said, it would depend on the comfort and ease of life type options you might want..

For instance:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-13F112-205-MSI-GS30-2M(Shadow)-205UK_1863180.html

That one is basically a gaming 13 incher with a frankly ridiculous cpu for that size laptop  and will breeze fm and anything else you throw at it really..

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/UX310UA-FB097T-ASUS-ZenBook-UX310UA-FB097T_1966124.html

This one is a bit more conservative.. it has a great cpu still, but far behind the MSI I linked of course.... that said, much cheaper and has great features besides... you could certainly spend £100-£200 less and still run fm the way you would like too.. it all comes down to what features you would like... i.e SSD's, graphics, screen quality, build quality etc

worth researching, and feel free to ask in here .

57 minutes ago, dannyrefc said:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-7000-15-6-gaming-laptop-10146140-pdt.html how about this? for fast gameplay and long career speed with around 10 main leagues loaded 

Yes, that's a top notch laptop.. it will easily be good enough for fm and anything else you throw at it.... overkill if anything  (also happens to be very close to my main laptop)

59 minutes ago, dannyrefc said:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-7000-15-6-gaming-laptop-10146140-pdt.html how about this? for fast gameplay and long career speed with around 10 main leagues loaded 

Just bear in mind.. you can find it cheaper... I didn't look further than the first link I saw after googling it.. but https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-Inspiron-15-7559-15-6-Inch-Notebook/dp/B0185P47QY

Also... 

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/N551VW-FW238T-ASUS-N551VW-FW238T_1829315.html

also:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-16J612-408-MSI-GL62-6QD-408UK_1955707.html

7 hours ago, RedEvian said:

The new MBP is SOOO disappointing. I was waiting for it but I took the plunge the day before the announcement and I'm glad I did. I've been researching laptops for a week.

If you want a laptop that's basically the same as a MBP but more powerful I'd look at the Razer laptops. They have the ability further down the line to connect a GPU externally.

The laptop that you linked is very good for the price although they did have £100 off which run out 2 days ago which, would of made the base model £699. The only thing that put me off with that machine was the weight which I deemed quite heavy but I tend to use my laptop in bed on my knee. 

The best laptops for £1000 or under with dedicated GPU are:

Razer Blade Stealth (graphics aren't amazing but can buy the external GPU at a later date)

Lenovo Y700

Acer V5 Nitro

The dell you listed

Personally I decided I only wanted to spend as little as I could and bought an Acer Aspire here http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/acer-aspire-f5-573g-intelcore-i5-6200u-8gb-1tb-128gb-ssd-nvidia-gtx-950m-nx.gd6ek.002/version.asp I only paid £580 from Very as I made a new account which gave 10% off when using credit. I paid it off straight away with no interest

Thanks for the reply RedEvian. I've been reading up on Windows laptops since Brexit, as I suspected we'd have a substantial price rise in UK on Macs. Sadly, I was right! 

I'm edging closer to the Dell I linked to, but looking into your suggestions now too - thank you. I've only included i7 processors in my searching as I have missed the quad-core processor that I had in my earlier MBP when it comes to video editing. 

Don't know if there is still such a big difference between i5/i7 processors nowadays (?), so would love to hear of people's experiences. 

7 hours ago, Welshace said:

Hi,

That budget is certainly overkill for your needs... that said, it would depend on the comfort and ease of life type options you might want..

For instance:

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/9S7-13F112-205-MSI-GS30-2M(Shadow)-205UK_1863180.html

That one is basically a gaming 13 incher with a frankly ridiculous cpu for that size laptop  and will breeze fm and anything else you throw at it really..

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/UX310UA-FB097T-ASUS-ZenBook-UX310UA-FB097T_1966124.html

This one is a bit more conservative.. it has a great cpu still, but far behind the MSI I linked of course.... that said, much cheaper and has great features besides... you could certainly spend £100-£200 less and still run fm the way you would like too.. it all comes down to what features you would like... i.e SSD's, graphics, screen quality, build quality etc

worth researching, and feel free to ask in here .

Thanks Mate, that is very helpful and will certainly looking into these as they both look very good and within budget.

Only other one that I looked at was Dell XPS 13 but I guess that is total overkill for what I will be using it for?

Hello there you all!

this is my first post here and hopefully I got it straight by posting on here in order to ask for suggestions about notebook suiting FM.

As some on here have already mentioned, new MacBook Pros were released a couple of days ago and I was planning to purchase the 15" variant, and I would therefore like to ask whether, according to you all on here, those specs (as mentioned below) included could well handle the game. I don't believe to be extremely picky, my demands are not that high, I usually load 4-5 leagues (England, Germany, Italy. Spain, France, first divisions solely) + huge database. Being an avid player, I can sometimes bring the career up to 2040 or so. Provided that the save gets much heavier by time, is that a problem? Plus, would multitasking cause any troubles (i.e. skyping on cam with a friend whilst playing, listening to music, browsing the web etc.?)

These are the specs of the MBP I'd like to get:

• 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor
  • Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz memory
  • 256GB PCIe-based SSD1
  • Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory

Thank you all in advance :)

http://www.very.co.uk/dell-inspiron-17--5000-intelreg-coretrade-i7-processor-8gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-173-inch-full-hd-laptop-with-4gb-radeon-r5-m335-graphics-and-optional-microsoft-office-365-home-silver/1600100392.prd

After a laptop to play pretty much just FM17 on. As I'm fed up of having to stay sat at the desk now on my imac which runs FM16 fine. I don't want to spend loads and would like as big of a screen as possible. I ran the specs off this laptop on a website that I found on Google and everything was over 100% but I don't know how reliable these websites are. I just wanna run the main European leagues and maybe Brazil and Argentina. There's also 10% cashback on this so seems a good deal but wanted to get a second opinion.

http://www.very.co.uk/msi-gl62-6qc-intelreg-coretrade-i5nbspprocessor-12gb-ram-1tb-hard-drive-156-inch-gaming-pc-laptop-with-nvidia-2gb-940m-graphics-black/1600065704.prd

Just found this one to even though it's only an i5 it according to the website I used earlier to check specs for running fm17 this one performed better. So out of the two which would you go for? Is the msi one worth the extra dollar?

Hi,

I have a new laptop which is really good for FM2017 although I'm not so sure about the graphics card.  It is an Intel (R) HD Graphics 5500.  Will this be good for the 3D match engine as want to be able to be tip top for this.

Hi. I'm having some issues the 3D match screen so I'm thinking of upgrading the graphics card in my deskop. Has anyone any recommendations for a graphics card that will easily run Football Manager 2017? Ideally I'd want a mid to high end quality graphics card so its relatively future proof.

Budget: £200 - £500

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, 7.Ronaldo said:

Hi. I'm having some issues the 3D match screen so I'm thinking of upgrading the graphics card in my deskop. Has anyone any recommendations for a graphics card that will easily run Football Manager 2017? Ideally I'd want a mid to high end quality graphics card so its relatively future proof.

Budget: £200 - £500

Thanks.

Impossible to suggest one as it would have to be compatible with your current system...

20 hours ago, timtim11 said:

Hi,

I have a new laptop which is really good for FM2017 although I'm not so sure about the graphics card.  It is an Intel (R) HD Graphics 5500.  Will this be good for the 3D match engine as want to be able to be tip top for this.

It's not a graphics card.. it's integrated, meaning it's a part of the motherboard and as such, can't be upgraded. That said the 5500 is pretty low end, but should run fm 3d engine on lower settings fine imo. 

Archived