Is FM Text Commentary outdated? (getting obsolete?)

With everyone much focusing on the 3D match engine, does anyone feel that the text commentary is no longer needed?

How many of you honestly still read the commentary? I find myself not looking at it at all these days!

I still like it. If nothing else, the flash commentary for a goal is handy if i have one eye on the tele whilst playing, which is often the case. 

Also im not usually one for the fluffier side of the game... But for FM 18 i was writing a topic based on a particular player/role... I think it was my regista season, and when that player scored a goal the commentary informed me it was that players birthday. Would have skipped it without a thought had i not been writing the thread... But as i was, it was a nice little touch. 

Text commentary is good and provides valuable information. I personally enjoy reading about milestone / debut goal / goal against old club after a player scores.

Audio commentary, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. The current technology cannot adapt player/club names into various sentences to make the commentary sufficiently diverse and relevant. As a result they have to resort to vague expressions such as 'This player is on top form'. Even EA's audio commentary falls flat and repetitive after a few games, I don't believe it's going to work until sound technology makes huge improvements.

Not sure if outdated. But considering it contains like dozens of variations of that good ol' "How did he miss that!?*" chestnut, it's just oft terribly misleading. ;) Replacing it with the typically over the top audio would be glorious though for any rage quitter's blood pressure, in particular considering FM's heavily compressed nature on "highlights" viewing. :D Now FM does a fantastic job at mimicing commentary -- but personally I can't see Arsene et all giving a fuss about TV commentary (and they're better off for it).

On FM, also in parts due to limited animtions/sometimes ambiguous feedback in general, players tend to see it as something that it's not meant to be however...  This gets more confusing considering that some of it actually gives additional clues as to what's actually going on, rather than merely mimicing sensationalist punditry. Tactical changes from the opposition, etc. Reactions to talks,... From the previews, it seems it's expaneded on that front even for FM19. Still, how did he miss that?! :D

* go into the game's folder, look for the events.cfg and search it for the string "miss" -- this isn't exaggerating. :D

Yea agreed with all comments... Also I think audio commentary will be impossible due to the nature of the speed of highlights. I don't think audio could catch up with the speed of the text. It would sound sped up! 

Audio commentary tends to get old real quick. Even IRL games I get bored by all the cliché expressions of the commentary. Text commentary can provide some additional information. How else am I supposed to know whether that penalty was because of a real foul or a dive? It will be a while before the match engine is detailed enough to see the difference.

7 minutes ago, Kick Wilstra said:

Audio commentary tends to get old real quick. Even IRL games I get bored by all the cliché expressions of the commentary

This.  I can only assume those who advocate audio commentary have never played another game where it exists.  It's routinely dreadful, purely because you can only code them to say so much and there's bound to be repetition.  The only way something like FIFA is bearable is by putting commentary in another language where you don't notice the patterns as much, or muting it altogether.  And that's in a game with a shortened representation of the game.  I guarantee that if it was the content of the text commentary being voiced, it would be maddening within hours.

6 hours ago, blimey said:

Text commentary is good and provides valuable information. I personally enjoy reading about milestone / debut goal / goal against old club after a player scores.

Audio commentary, on the other hand, is a terrible idea. The current technology cannot adapt player/club names into various sentences to make the commentary sufficiently diverse and relevant. As a result they have to resort to vague expressions such as 'This player is on top form'. Even EA's audio commentary falls flat and repetitive after a few games, I don't believe it's going to work until sound technology makes huge improvements.

MMM Think its better than you think

10 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

I still like it. If nothing else, the flash commentary for a goal is handy if i have one eye on the tele whilst playing, which is often the case. 

This is the same for me. It is the first time in many many years that I been playing in 2D (3D during replays) and actually enjoying it so the commentary comes in handy. 

Its also been in Champ Man and FM ever since day one and would not feel the same if it was removed.

The text commentary should be very useful for things the current ME can't convey, like how bad or controversial a call for a foul was, when dissent is happening etc.

Definitely needs to be there, just also needs to be better

Imagine syncing audio commentary with the speeded up highlights many FM players use! Even if the commentator's range of phrases was good it would be hilarious

Archived